• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
You haven't finished Bebop? Or started it?

I shouldn't really be surprised, you've been too busy with Samurai Girls and Infinite Stratos.
I haven't started Bebop. And Infinite Stratos is the show of the year. It's down to Sister vs France!

tafer said:
Hmm... did it took long?

The replace form is up, there is hope!
I did it when they first announced the program but before they had any details, so I don't remember. But I think people got their discs the a couple of weeks after they announced that they were shipping them out. I'm in Canuckistan, so it probably took a bit longer.

flawfuls said:
Yeah the music was pretty good. Of course the best thing about Initial D was that it inspired the greatest doujinshi ever made:

http://i.imgur.com/WULTr.png[IMG]

Someone [I]needs[/I] to translate the rest of this.[/QUOTE]
Holy fuck, that's awesome.

Jex

vocab said:
Don't decide to watch or dislike a sports anime based on the sport. It's one of the biggest problems the genre faces. I don't know I can watch X because I don't like the sport. You don't have to like the sport.
You don't even to like any sport.
Branduil said:
I only rarely skip opening but usually skip endings. Mostly because endings nearly always get the least effort put into them.
They are usually an afterthought, by the looks of the majority of them.

Geneijin

Not bothering with spoilers at all. I'll post this each time I'm talking about this.

0O6yf.gif

Glass Fleet - 02

An unknown ship was spotted out of nowhere before Michel was about to surrender himself to the enemy commander at the end of episode 1. A battle begins and the unknown ship soon finishes the battle by piercing the battleship using itself as a weapon like a bullet.

The unknown ship goes to ransack Michel's ship, and Michel's butler remarks how they're probably pirates. Before they leave, Michel asks the leader to take him and his crew along with their group (his butler and maid really), but he gets rejected. So instead of becoming stranded in space, waiting for capture, and most likely executed, he says, Michel asks the leader to take him with him or to kill him. Cut over to a scene where Vetti eventually orders for the death of the messenger of bad news after listening to him - the commander of the failed operation; the Pope arrives after to discuss Vetti's marriage to his daughter. At the end of the episode, I find out the leader's name is Cleo, who's apparently the descendant of the royal family supposedly killed 20 years ago turned pirate. His ambition I guess is to conquer the galaxy in incremental steps, winning and winning he says. Also, Cleo says he'll conquer the strongest guy in the galaxy (Vetti huh).

Also, male Rie Kugimiya voice. Didn't think she get another role like this.

Jexhius said:
They are usually an afterthought, by the looks of the majority of them.

There are certainly more great openings than there great endings, but there are plenty of the latter as well. A lot of series are more willing to do zany or weird things with their endings than they are with the openings, too.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
I haven't started Bebop. And Infinite Stratos is the show of the year. It's down to Sister vs France!
France stopped being cool, though. It was around the time when she stopped wearing pants and became Char.

Sister victory.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Only reason I made it is because I had a lengthly conversation with Firehawk over heteronormitivity and yuri! Also I bashed Madoka. I don't really very often post much in these threads.
It's not about how much you post, it's about how angrily you are remembered!
cosmicblizzard said:
You're hovering betwen B and C. Being newer, there's not enough data for an accurate ranking.
It's hard to argue with such a solid list.
I Am Now said:
I think Kaiji is dumb, does that count? Bad story, drowning in worse art, surrounded by dull and unlikable characters. Seriously.
Who let you in?
Branduil said:
I can't think of many iconic scenes in Eva that don't involve at least one person in an Eva.
Well that's because the Eva's are of course our protagonists, covered in metal and WRIT LARGE to make their actions more exciting and dramatic.

Branduil

Geneijin said:
Not bothering with spoilers at all. I'll post this each time I'm talking about this.

0O6yf.gif

Glass Fleet - 02

An unknown ship was spotted out of nowhere before Michel was about to surrender himself to the enemy commander at the end of episode 1. A battle begins and the unknown ship soon finishes the battle by piercing the battleship using itself as a weapon like a bullet.

The unknown ship goes to ransack Michel's ship, and Michel's butler remarks how they're probably pirates. Before they leave, Michel asks the leader to take him and his crew along with their group (his butler and maid really), but he gets rejected. So instead of becoming stranded in space, waiting for capture, and most likely executed, he says, Michel asks the leader to take him with him or to kill him. Cut over to a scene where Vetti eventually orders for the death of the messenger of bad news after listening to him - the commander of the failed operation; the Pope arrives after to discuss Vetti's marriage to his daughter. At the end of the episode, I find out the leader's name is Cleo, who's apparently the descendant of the royal family supposedly killed 20 years ago turned pirate. His ambition I guess is to conquer the galaxy in incremental steps, winning and winning he says. Also, Cleo says he'll conquer the strongest guy in the galaxy (Vetti huh).

Also, male Rie Kugimiya voice. Didn't think she get another role like this.
Stop making me want to watch a terrible Gonzo show.

tafer

firehawk12 said:
I did it when they first announced the program but before they had any details, so I don't remember. But I think people got their discs the a couple of weeks after they announced that they were shipping them out. I'm in Canuckistan, so it probably took a bit longer.

Well, time to fill, wait and cross fingers...

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
I don't know Hanamaru Kindergarten ones where pretty awesome.
That's why I said majority.
doomed1 said:
With Derrida as my witness, they shall not see the morning light! >:D
Did I mention deconstruction today? I feel that I should have done.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Come on now, how can you not like Kaiji? He's the ultimate survivor!
Not to mention a suffering pariah!
Branduil said:
I watched the first episode of Akagi and thought it sucked, which is why I haven't watched Kaiji yet.
It's not like you haven't been told that you're crazy for doing that!

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
When does Infinite Statos end? I'll do a marathon later!
Marathon? Don't marathon. Follow my episode guide.

Skip:

Watch:

Skip:

trejo said:
One would think that'd be an improvement, no?
Not at all. She became just another haremblob after that. Before, she was goddess. It's amazing how a pair of pants can affect a relationship.

flawfuls

InfiniteNine said:
When does Infinite Statos end? I'll do a marathon later!

There is little point in watching Infinite Statos if you're not watching it alongside your comrade in arms. In fact there is little point in watching even if you are.

Jex

Joule said:
Aria the Natural 1: What a lovely return to the series and for me an excellent segue into the second season...
You're trying to clear firehawk12 by overloading his mono no aware censors!
zeroshiki said:
I watched the Kaiji Live Action movie and it was the biggest POS I had the misfortune of spending money on.

This is why I haven't touched the show. And the art.
Another madman. Why would you watch a live-action adaptation of an anime or manga? And then use it to judge the original material?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Koi Kaze 2
THEIR MOUTHS, THEIR MOUTHS ARE VOIDS OF WHITE.

Also, cute, the pedo older brother is fighting his feelings. :p

Also also, DRAMAWIND!

I am not in the proper frame of mind to watch this, am I? lol

Branduil said:
Why don't we just have InfiniteNine add a commentary track just for you. It would be almost the same thing.
Brilliant!

Jex

shintoki said:
Do I really need to see the Utena movie?...
Yes. Now.
doomed1 said:
Koi Kaze 2
THEIR MOUTHS, THEIR MOUTHS ARE VOIDS OF WHITE.

Also, cute, the pedo older brother is fighting his feelings. :p

Also also, DRAMAWIND!

I am not in the proper frame of mind to watch this, am I? lol
Not really. If you're in the kind of mindframe where you are just going to read the show as such, it's not really going to be a reasonable critical appraisal.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
There's entirely too much K-On love in this thread, something must be done about this.
Something something too much Madoka love something moe something something something Infinite Stratos something.

jman2050 said:
There's entirely too much K-On love in this thread, something must be done about this.

Even Jex has come to our side, your resistance is as laughable as it is futile.

Jexhius said:
Is there some other way to do it?

Yeah, I just read the current page and the previous one if more than 2 pages have elapsed since I looked at the thread. :3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
France stopped being cool, though. It was around the time when she stopped wearing pants and became Char.

Sister victory.
Ichika no ecchi. :(

InfiniteNine said:
I don't know Hanamaru Kindergarten ones where pretty awesome.
Pretty much the best part of that show!

jman2050

Unknown Soldier said:
Even Jex has come to our side, your resistance is as laughable as it is futile.

Who needs Jexhius when you have the magical power of angst and despair of Japanese adolescent schoolgirls at your disposal?

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
Yeah, I just read the current page and the previous one if more than 2 pages have elapsed since I looked at the thread. :3
Then you're missing all the subplots!

Dresden

Wow, someone subbed Umasou! I knew it was the right idea to hold off on it.

And rejoice, shintoki! The OVA of that DEEN yaoi show is out!

Branduil

I'm watching the Time of Eve movie right now, it's really wonderful. Nice to see some of these backgrounds in high resolution too.

01.jpg

02.jpg

I'm fairly certain this scene wasn't in the ONA series.
03.jpg

That's one lovingly painted plate of eaten spaghetti.
04.jpg

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Another madman. Why would you watch a live-action adaptation of an anime or manga? And then use it to judge the original material?

Because I didn't know it was based off an anime/manga at the time and it starred Light AND L as the main leads T_T

It was horrible.

Jex

luka said:
oreimo is pretty good when kirino isn't in it
As a gentlemanly scholar, I'm only interested in sister/brother relationships and so I'll have to vehemently disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom