• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitokage said:
Who is assuming that you've seen it? The point is that it's out there and that you should see it. :D
I agree. The OVA's alright too. It's only four episodes long and the story is somewhat different between the OVA and series -- they were made like seven or eight years apart (the OVA from the early '90s, the TV series from the late '90s), so they are not closely connected except for both being based on the same manga.

You need to finish it!
I really do, I don't know why I've been putting it off for so long. :( I liked it enough that it's even one of the few animes I've used wallpapers of on my computers, and I still haven't finished it?

trejo said:
Well to be fair, stuff tends to get lost amidst the length of your posts. ;)
Um, my last few posts have been short...

doomed1 said:
And there's your problem. Why do you watch Hellsing and Berserk? Probably primarily because of the BLOOD, GUTS, ACTION, and FUCK YEAH EDGINESS. That's fine, but that's such a shallow reason to watch a show, and why you clash with people here, because most of us watch shit for more than what we see on the surface. I mean, did you pay attention to camera angle, lighting styles, and sound design in Cowboy Bebop? Would you know why those elements are important to it's overall genre and theme? It really doesn't matter if you do or not, as long as you can enjoy it, but as to the rest of everyone else, if you can't take the horns, don't mess with the bull, or in this case, try and go toe to toe with it.
On that note, the Hellsing Ultimate episode where the Major makes his long speech ranting about how evil he is is seriously one of the worst things I've ever seen in anime. It's somewhere around ten straight minutes of this moron ranting about how he's such an evil, crazy psychopathic Nazi who wants to kill everything he can for no good reason other than to cause chaos and kill people. That whole thing has to have been some of the worst writing I've ever sat through in anime, it was just so, so bad, and so boring... if they were trying to have him be scary and threatening, they failed. It was just dull. By the end of it I had no interest in ever watching the next episode, whenever it came out (it wasn't out yet then), and indeed I haven't.

So yeah, things beyond just "does it have lots of awesome action" matter in anime. Hellsing Ultimate may have great action, but that doesn't make it any less awful.

Dresden

jman2050 said:
Hot damn Fractale laid a stink bomb.

lol yamakan
4Y5vkl.jpg

RENZTl.jpg

flawfuls

Uchip said:
older series that ive missed actually
nothing this season interests me so far and im not sure if i want to keep watching dororon
im still waiting on new Hellsing and Berserk and any high budget movie ie. Ghibli

Have you seen Welcome to The Space Show? It's not amazing or anything, but it's a pretty good big budget movie that came out recently and everyone seems to have ignored it.

Also if you haven't seen You Are Umasou you are doing yourself a great disservice.

A Black Falcon said:
On that note, the Hellsing Ultimate episode where the Major makes his long speech ranting about how evil he is is seriously one of the worst things I've ever seen in anime. It's somewhere around ten straight minutes of this moron ranting about how he's such an evil, crazy psychopathic Nazi who wants to kill everything he can for no good reason other than to cause chaos and kill people. That whole thing has to have been some of the worst writing I've ever sat through in anime, it was just so, so bad, and so boring... if they were trying to have him be scary and threatening, they failed. It was just dull. By the end of it I had no interest in ever watching the next episode, whenever it came out (it wasn't out yet then), and indeed I haven't.

So yeah, things beyond just "does it have lots of awesome action" matter in anime. Hellsing Ultimate may have great action, but that doesn't make it any less awful.

No, they were showing that he's completely off his rocker.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anime Hipster is anyone who's seen Violinist of Hameln, not only have people never heard of this anime, but it's not even animated.

trejo

Solune said:
That's for the best, I don't think anyone should
It had a nice ED, tho.

DrForester said:
Anime Hipster is anyone who's seen Violinist of Hameln, not only have people never heard of this anime, but it's not even animated.
Goddammit. Guess I'm a hipster, then.

But I watched on a friend's recommendation. Does that count for anything?

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
And there's your problem. Why do you watch Hellsing and Berserk? Probably primarily because of the BLOOD, GUTS, ACTION, and FUCK YEAH EDGINESS. That's fine, but that's such a shallow reason to watch a show, and why you clash with people here, because most of us watch shit for more than what we see on the surface. I mean, did you pay attention to camera angle, lighting styles, and sound design in Cowboy Bebop? Would you know why those elements are important to it's overall genre and theme? It really doesn't matter if you do or not, as long as you can enjoy it, but as to the rest of everyone else, if you can't take the horns, don't mess with the bull, or in this case, try and go toe to toe with it.

sweet mother of assumptions

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Uchip said:
sweet mother of assumptions
Then prove me wrong. I'd LOVE to have an intelligent discussion on the thematics of Madoka or something else if you displayed any ability to provide intelligent feedback. You haven't. That's my challenge to you.

flawfuls

DrForester said:

The Violinist of Hameln isn't that unknown is it? Though I guess it mostly gets just mentioned because of it's infamously bad animation.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
Then prove me wrong. I'd LOVE to have an intelligent discussion on the thematics of Madoka or something else if you displayed any ability to provide intelligent feedback. You haven't. That's my challenge to you.

nah
you are basically mocking me for watching anime that excel at stylistic action and violence
which is what imo, anime does best. Then you go on to criticize my ability to provide intelligent feedback... on what? all you do is act like a pretentious anime snob sensationalizing shows that are very light on the fantasy aspect.
You claim its because you want to work in that department but who the fuck mixes work and leasure like that? you're just straight up laughable and not worth talking to.

Uchip

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
True but i say they did it so it could be more profound.

What better way to show your crazy by having a crazy speech that goes on and on.

that and its supposed to follow the manga much closer than the original just like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Enron

Banned
Uchip said:
nah
you are basically mocking me for watching anime that excel at stylistic action and violence
which is what imo, anime does best. Then you go on to criticize my ability to provide intelligent feedback... on what? all you do is act like a pretentious anime snob sensationalizing shows that are very light on the fantasy aspect.
You claim its because you want to work in that department but who the fuck mixes work and leasure like that? you're just straight up laughable and not worth talking to.

hahaha.

Infinite Justice said:
True but i say they did it so it could be more profound.

What better way to show your crazy by having a crazy speech that goes on and on.
Yeah. That speech was basically the John Galt speech of Hellsing.

hellclerk

Uchip said:
nah
Well, while I may be a pretentious snob, I can still say with considerable depth on what I like and why I like it. I have no issue with you watching anime for the sake of violence and action. It's definitely why I watch some anime, Hidan no Aria immediately coming to mind, but if that's the ONLY reason you watch anime, then you're in the minority here. So you have a choice: own my criticism, or defy it and prove me wrong. Or continue to flop around with poorly expressed and backed opinions, continuing to be a comedic presence in any in depth discussion. I'd much rather it was one of the former though.

I'm sure your grandfather or other extra-parental role model told you this at some point too, but: "If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life".

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
Well, while I may be a pretentious snob, I can still say with considerable depth on what I like and why I like it. I have no issue with you watching anime for the sake of violence and action. It's definitely why I watch some anime, Hidan no Aria immediately coming to mind, but if that's the ONLY reason you watch anime, then you're in the minority here. So you have a choice: own my criticism, or defy it and prove me wrong. Or continue to flop around with poorly expressed and backed opinions, continuing to be a comedic presence in any in depth discussion. I'd much rather it was one of the former though.

I'm sure your grandfather or other extra-parental role model told you this at some point too, but: "If you do what you love, you never work a day in your life".

where did you even get this idea?
why should I defend myself against such unjustified claims (which you never backed with evidence and neither does that other user)

hellclerk

Uchip said:
where did you even get this idea?
why should I defend myself against such unjustified claims (which you never backed with evidence and neither does that other user)
Well if you can't defend yourself then don't. Though you seem to crack under the pressure when someone calls out a poor opinion. All I've ever seen you reply with is a "witty" one liner that doesn't really say anything, it just dismisses the other person's opinion or argument. In each of our exchanges I've never gotten much more than a "that's pretentious bullshit" and have it done with. In my experience you don't actually engage my or anyone else's points, so of course I'm skeptical about your ability to analyze. What's so unjustified about that?

Branduil

doomed1 said:
Madoka wasn't really fresh so much as it brought two stale, moldy concepts together. This doesn't necessarily make something fresh, it makes a new stale and moldy taste, which I concede may be appealing. But it's still not fresh.

As opposed to the hip, original stylings of K-on.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
It's the battle between overanalytical animugaf and "fun things are fun" animugaf!

Again!

Nah. I think most of us are on the same side on this one.

On that note, doomed1 I'd totally feel you up if we ever got together.

Jex

Branduil said:
It's pretty strange he still has no tag, despite topping the wall of shame every season.
It's a fine line to tread, but I manage to remain sane throughout the whole thing.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
Well if you can't defend yourself then don't. Though you seem to crack under the pressure when someone calls out a poor opinion. All I've ever seen you reply with is a "witty" one liner that doesn't really say anything, it just dismisses the other person's opinion or argument. In each of our exchanges I've never gotten much more than a "that's pretentious bullshit" and have it done with. In my experience you don't actually engage my or anyone else's points, so of course I'm skeptical about your ability to analyze. What's so unjustified about that?

provide fucking examples
nobody has, they just post "your opinion sucks!" or insulted me directly
this and everyone lacks the ability to make the inference that im not actually making ad hominem statements directed at anyone in particular.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
As much as I'd like to continue as I have, my overriding laziness compels me to come clean on a few points:

- I actually liked Madoka a lot.

- I still maintain that Madoka is not as revolutionary as many claim.

- ...but I also feel that it doesn't NEED to be new and fresh.

- You guys ruined the show for me by making me think of ways to troll while I was watching it.
You have a long ways to go to reach doomed levels of Madoka trolling.

Jexhius said:
It's a fine line to tread, but I manage to remain sane throughout the whole thing.
Insane people never doubt their own faculties.

jman2050

Branduil said:
As opposed to the hip, original stylings of K-on.

No, but see, doomed1 was/is in a band. So it's okay.

He's never been a magical girl whose had to deal with the consequences of an ill-advised with while at the mercy of a cute emotionless alien, so how would he be able to relate to something like Madoka?

I still love/hate you doomed! Baka...

Jex

jman2050 said:
InfiniteNine don't do this to yourself.

If you really want to watch moe~ just wait for Denpa Onna.
Why wait for a show that's inferior in every way possible to K-On!?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
You have a long ways to go to reach doomed levels of Madoka trolling.
You should note that I mentioned my overriding laziness. I came up with a lot of grand ideas but didn't actually go through with many of them.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
No, but see, doomed1 was/is in a band. So it's okay.

He's never been a magical girl whose had to deal with the consequences of an ill-advised with while at the mercy of a cute emotionless alien, so how would he be able to relate to something like Madoka?

I still love/hate you doomed! Baka...

they must have played some terrible music to be able to relate :D

Instro

Cant wait to watch Girl Who Leapt Through Time this weekend, should be good yo...oh wait are we arguing about stuff? I am furious!

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Nah. I think most of us are on the same side on this one.

On that note, doomed1 I'd totally feel you up if we ever got together.
I don't even remember what they started arguing about in the first place but I'm inclined to agree with Uchip cause he's got some sweet dance moves.

Geneijin

DrForester said:
I thoroughly enjoyed Madoka. I haven't enjoyed a Magical Girl show since Princess Tutu, so it was nice to go back to the genre. I'm pretty picky about Magical Girls shows, even pre-tutu ones, I didn't watch much, but I got to all the big ones. Sailor Moon, Utena, CCS. Also enjoyed some of the lesser known ones like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, and Ultra Maniac (which really wasn't a magical girl show, but a shoujo romantic comedy with girls who can do magic). I did think the show was different, treating the genre a bit more seriously than I had seen before.
You're a good person. Jeanne still remains deep in my backlog sadly. I've been too lazy to start it for reasons unknown.

trejo said:
It's the battle between overanalytical animugaf and "fun things are fun" animugaf!

Again!
That's not the type of battle happening here.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Wow fangs out and claws bared over Madoka, I see.
Any show that's praised to the nines and sells a bundle is guaranteed to run into some detractors, for perfectly reasonable reasons.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
I don't even remember what they started arguing about in the first place but I'm inclined to agree with Uchip cause he's got some sweet dance moves.

I think this goes back a long way back when doomed1 started on his Madoka crusade. He raises some valid points in this slapfight though.

Jexhius said:
Any show that's praised to the nines and sells a bundle is guaranteed to run into some detractors, for perfectly reasonable reasons.

Yeah but Anime-GAF is usually quite civil about arguments. Now we've got people wanting to rip each other apart *sniff*

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana 3 - Continues to be good, Yukiatsu seems like he's going be the villain of the series, i kinda want to punch him in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom