• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
jman2050 said:
Hell, extend that to everything KyoAni has ever made sans FMP and you're right on target.

Just look at the hype for a completely terrible show like Nichijou,

While I can understand not getting the humor of Nichijou, it would need to be much less well-made to be called completely terrible.

zeroshiki said:
Yeah but Anime-GAF is usually quite civil about arguments. Now we've got people wanting to rip each other apart *sniff*

No one is ever civil to the Key fans.

Geneijin

hosannainexcelsis said:
Detective Conan 1

As a long-time fan of mysteries and detectives, I can't resist starting this most famous (and only?) detective anime, even though I know that I'll never be able to finish it because it will never finish.!
I'm glad you haven't heard of
Spiral,
which wasn't good.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
jman2050 said:
There's a third season coming out next year + the last (?) novels come out next month.

Expect the hype to begin anew very soon.

Really when was this confirmed?

Instro

Uchip said:
too bad the time travel doesn't make sense therefore it sucks!

SteinsGate-00024.jpg

jman2050 said:
I read many of the novel spoilers and even some excerpts.

It's all still the same shit. Just on a larger scale.

The scale is crazy though (its basically fucking God Tier) so thats something.

Hitokage said:
Ok, I lied earlier. It's not that I'm just lazy, it's that not having any real hate for a show saps the enjoyment out of trolling it.

Yea the same thing happened to me when that comment about CCS came up in the thread :p

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
zeroshiki said:
Nah. I think most of us are on the same side on this one.

On that note, doomed1 I'd totally feel you up if we ever got together.
My harem grows stronger! :p

Uchip said:
they must have played some terrible music to be able to relate :D
In High School? You better fuck'n believe it. :p

But again, I can justify my like of the show. I won't say it's for everyone or even that it's really all that objectively GOOD, just that I felt the character dynamic was strong and I could relate to the characters on a personal level, but that's not what we're discussing, we're discussing YOUR ability to back yourself up.

Consider:
Uchip said:
doomed1 said:
Consider the circumstances behind my tag, pal. The anime consumer base is MUCH larger than the lolicon niche. In fact, I'd even say the lolicon niche is probably tiny relative to all the other sexualization niches out there. Is there some crossover? Possibly, but that crossover isn't really interested in the loli aspect so much as they are in the other crossover aspects.

Also, I look into stuff because that's what I'm planning on doing with my career, media analysis and production. Only reason I mentioned Metalocalypse was I saw that episode earlier today. It's a really funny show. Here's the clip I'm talking about: http://youtu.be/OHJSINPuOBU

And I'd eat a hot dog... just put'n that out there...

Pretty much!

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
but I think i know the part you are linking me
You never responded to my points! I had to explain a simile because you didn't get the reference and decided to only focus on that and not what I was trying to get across. So after I extended you another chance, you still decide to talk about the video that's not available in your country. Not even a "I still think it's creepy" or "Alright, I can understand where you're coming from." It ends up being frustrating and unnecessarily drawn out to cover just ONE of your points. I'm interested in your point of view, whether or not I agree with it because I want a better context of how you think the way you do. I really don't care what your opinions are, because I can respect them, that is, if you could back them up. Prove my unflattering observations wrong, and I will be GLAD of it.

Also, the musicianship that was required to write the songs in K-On is fantastic. Have you heard the bass lines? They're scaley as all hell!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Infinite Justice said:
Yea the same thing happened to me when that comment about CCS came up in the thread :p
Fuck Naruto though. Not letting myself get punched in the face anymore on the hopes that NEXT EPISODE something cool will happen again.

jman2050

Lafiel said:
Really when was this confirmed?

You know, I swear I read about a third season somewhere but now I can find anything on it.

Must've been my imagination or something.

The LNs will definitely ignite interest though.

Jex

Geneijin said:
Jex, you are a genius if you read through my intent. :lol
I assume that's everyone's intent.
zeroshiki said:
If we're gonna talk anime that gets universal praise, we should start with Ghibli.

What others are there?
As in, not just anime fans, but across the world and critically, from real reviewers?

Very few, because they have to have a release in theatres. So that really only leaves Ghost in the Shell and Akira

zeroshiki

Hitokage said:
Fuck Naruto though. Not letting myself get punched in the face anymore on the hopes that NEXT EPISODE something cool will happen again.

I stopped watching at the same point as you, I think. It was when Tsunade was fighting Orochimaru. Around episode 90 or so. I started Naruto at episode 17 so I basically wasted ~1.5 years of my life watching that shit develop slooooooowly.

Jexhius said:

As in, not just anime fans, but across the world and critically, from real reviewers?

Very few, because they have to have a release in theatres. So that really only leaves Ghost in the Shell and Akira

More. As in people who care enough to give their opinion on it.

flawfuls

hosannainexcelsis said:
As a long-time fan of mysteries and detectives, I can't resist starting this most famous (and only?) detective anime, even though I know that I'll never be able to finish it because it will never finish.

No there are several.

Jex

Lafiel said:
C 3 - Faith in the series slowly restoring, that was actually pretty damn good, as always it still feels like it's building up to something and it could be either something really good or really crap, but it was a hell of a lot more entertaining here, with far better production and direction than episode 2.
That's what doubters get for doubting!
Hitokage said:
Better than the manga by far.
Well clearly.

Geneijin

Infinite Justice said:
naUq4.png

hosannainexcelsis said:
I forgot about Spiral. The anime was just an extremely incomplete adaptation of the manga, right? I would be interested in reading that one day.
Because it was forgettable
and missing ribs.

But yeah, it does but I never had an interest in checking out the manga after the anime.

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
You know, I swear I read about a third season somewhere but now I can find anything on it.

The announcement people mistook for a 3rd season actually was for the light novels.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
You know I never realized it before, but these discussions are always essentially people saying "how dare you think this product is great when it's merely just good!" Kind of makes me want to reevaluate my life.
I should do that, right after this internet argument...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
Manga must have been pretty bad then.
I always find it funny people seem to want a new akira anime that's closer to the manga. Because that would make for a pretty boring show, especially if they adapted every single page!

That's what doubters get for doubting!
It's not out of the clear yet!

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
My harem grows stronger! :p

In High School? You better fuck'n believe it. :p

But again, I can justify my like of the show. I won't say it's for everyone or even that it's really all that objectively GOOD, just that I felt the character dynamic was strong and I could relate to the characters on a personal level, but that's not what we're discussing, we're discussing YOUR ability to back yourself up.

Consider:

You never responded to my points! I had to explain a simile because you didn't get the reference and decided to only focus on that and not what I was trying to get across. So after I extended you another chance, you still decide to talk about the video that's not available in your country. Not even a "I still think it's creepy" or "Alright, I can understand where you're coming from." It ends up being frustrating and unnecessarily drawn out to cover just ONE of your points. I'm interested in your point of view, whether or not I agree with it because I want a better context of how you think the way you do. I really don't care what your opinions are, because I can respect them, that is, if you could back them up. Prove my unflattering observations wrong, and I will be GLAD of it.

Also, the musicianship that was required to write the songs in K-On is fantastic. Have you heard the bass lines? They're scaley as all hell!

Its more that Im too lazy to respond to more than one thing in a post and have no interest in arguing about the intricacies of anime perversion. Thats why I try to change the subject to a more humorous one ;)

The fact is that I have only ever known the type of anime fans that are open to lolibait.

I know the music in k-on is studio quality, its just reaaaaally not my kind of genre

If you want an answer from me, be sure to actually ask a question.

Geneijin

jman2050 said:

That's because you're thinking of Lucky Star. =P

Dresden said:
It goes beyond God-tier.

Shit is worse than Nasu-verse at that point.

Hilarious it has gone so far.

Hitokage said:

Where are they now anyways since i haven't watched Shippuuden in a long while (i just read the manga).

Dresden

Lafiel said:
I always find it funny people seem to want a new akira anime that's closer to the manga. Because that would make for a pretty boring show, especially if they adapted every single page!
Well, and I doubt Japan could mobilize enough slaves to produce another Akira, anyways.

In fact it'll probably be done by Bee Train if it ever happens.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Satoshi Kon films get a lot of attention/love in the west, too. I remember seeing the trailer for Paprika in theaters...goosebumps, man.

Too bad they didn't fucking screen the actual movie in a theater in my town.
People do really like the Kon and with good reason.
Salazar said:
House of Five Leaves.

Just bought it - NoitaminA stuff is getting stocked in Australia, all of a sudden.

Is it good ?
Yes it is.

Instro

zeroshiki said:
The announcement people mistook for a 3rd season actually was for the light novels.

New light novels? I thought Takemiya said she was finished with Toradora? Or are these spinoffs?

Hitokage said:
Better than the manga by far.

The live adaption will be better than both dude.

flawfuls said:
No there are several.

That was a hidden request for recommendations of detective anime, because I can never get enough detective-ing. So I'd love a list.

Jexhius said:

Very few, because they have to have a release in theatres. So that really only leaves [snip] Akira

Am I the only person in the world who didn't really like Akira?

I just didn't understand what the big deal was - guy gets experimented on and becomes a living bomb, whoop. Nice animation, but I didn't really like the world or character design.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
You should check out Mario+Holic episode 2's OP, they changed a few things in it, gave Kaneko a bad ass mecha-musume suit like in StarBlazers or some shit, was pretty bad ass.
Jexhius said:
Now they have a file open on you.
Oh well, I'm probably safe because they probably don't know what Boku no Pico was either so they're probably not monitoring it.
Jexhius said:
Just like the show itself.
You trying' to pick a fight with me? there's nothing tasteless about Spice and Wolf, nothing.
Dresden said:
You could probably build a decent anime book around mac and ABF's posts, though. "Musings on Harem Anime."
Dibs on playing the straight man working for the establishment and A Black Falcon can have the position that zoologists trying to prove that Bigfoot is real on a reality show have.
Articalys said:
Wow, I remember seeing that post a while ago but only now just read the whole thing. And that is totally how I feel about a lot of harem anime. It's just 100x more amusing to see it as if it's being spoken by a manga high school girl.
Unfortunately, sensible plot and savvy protagonists != ratings and sales.
Welcome, convert. Tuesday's are set aside for dissing Tessa, Wednesday service is where we worship Spoor, Thursday's where we worship Holo and Sunday's where we denounce harems, enojy your stay and don't forget to leave a dollar in the jar.
Hitokage said:
Don't be like mAcOdIn and watch the OVA when I'm talking about the TV show though. ;)
Hey now, I bought it before I even asked about it so it was too late anyways, but everyone else says the OVAs where better.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Am I the only person in the world who didn't really like Akira?

I just didn't understand what the big deal was - guy gets experimented on and becomes a living bomb, whoop. Nice animation, but I didn't really like the world or character design.
Having recently rewatched it on Bluray, no, you're not the only one who doesn't really like it. it's still beautiful but it's kinda stupid.

jman2050

Dresden said:
It goes beyond God-tier.

Shit is worse than Nasu-verse at that point.

I do enjoy how the story just outright changes its main character partway through.

That takes balls. It's stupid and idiotic, but daring.

jman2050

Instro said:
New light novels? I thought Takemiya said she was finished with Toradora? Or are these spinoffs?

Haruhi, not Toradora.

Toradora author is working on some college-setting series right now I think.

zeroshiki

Instro said:
Thought we were talking about Toradora, cant keep up with you fuckers.

I've been on every page of this thread for the last couple hours and I'm not sure what we're even talking about at this point.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Denpa Onna to Seinshun Otoko 3
How this whole thing is going with the MC misguidedly trying to bring Erio back to reality had BETTER end in tragic failure. I mean, it would only really be tragic for the MC, because everyone else has a lick of common sense, but if she ends this and comes back down to earth, I'll be so disappointed. With how well the characters are written though, I have hope. It may not be a foregone conclusion after all!
Especially when you get the harem end!

jman2050

I watched the first few minutes of Akira with a friend around my age who loved the movie when I was nine years old and I cried at the motorcycle fights and got scarred for most of my childhood.

It's amazing how tame it becomes when you watch it ten years later.

Branduil

jman2050 said:
I watched the first few minutes of Akira with a friend around my age who loved the movie when I was nine years old and I cried at the motorcycle fights and got scarred for most of my childhood.

It's amazing how tame it becomes when you watch it ten years later.
I don't remember anything disturbing about the motorcycle fights.

Now, crushing your girlfriend to death, that's disturbing.

Jexhius said:
But it did have some pretty sweet animation, right?

Well sure. I just wish the story wasn't bogged down with so much unnecessary convolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom