• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Denpa Onna to Seinshun Otoko 3
I swear, if girls actually took that much interest in boys as Ryuuko is taking notice of MC, I wouldn't have to worry about my love life. Fucking dull-as-shit oblivious anime protagonists and their harems...

I also loved how she insinuated that the MC was a bastard with a failure of a mother, though it was somewhat dulled by the fact that she was totally flirting with him as she said it. Also, it seems that she's designed as my personal pander-bait since I tend to share the sort of uncertainty principle existentialist philosophy she sort of explained when asked what a "mystery" was. I can relate to how she's written, and thus it appeals to me.
And depresses me. ;__;

Erio's condition remains interesting, though I kind of wish they dragged it out, like dropped a bunch of subtle hints before bringing it up like it was common knowledge. At the same time, the Aunt's use of masks remains smart and even tragic. The way she told him to give up shows just how cynical and jaded she is, and that underlying depression and shame came poking its head out. It also tells us of her previous issues. Meme is really a damned well written character. It helped that the audio during that sequence had a great subtle dissonant hum to the major key piano playing as the background track. Perfect mix of eerie in there.

How this whole thing is going with the MC misguidedly trying to bring Erio back to reality had BETTER end in tragic failure. I mean, it would only really be tragic for the MC, because everyone else has a lick of common sense, but if she ends this and comes back down to earth, I'll be so disappointed. With how well the characters are written though, I have hope. It may not be a foregone conclusion after all!

Uchip

Banned
thetechkid said:
Finally got around to seeing Knockin' on Heaven's Door and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Also music was great as expected of Bebop.

I love bebops soundtrack
and coincidentally tested out the remix of Tank today :)
(note: this was not in sync)

Hen Zemi TV 03 - Best episode of the TV series yet. It's still weak and uninteresting compared to the OVAs, but at least this one wasn't as bad as the first two, and had some amusing moments. A new character is introduced.

Lotte no Omocha! 01 - Adorable and sweet, about as expected. Pretty decent.

Hitokage said:
Also, Miyu TV is still darker than Madoka.

Miyu? Miyu what, Vampire Princess Miyu? That's not a magical girl show though, so what?

trejo

Woah, seems the Madoka haters have started coming out of the woodwork now that Hitokage's there for them to rally around.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A Black Falcon said:
Miyu? Miyu what, Vampire Princess Miyu? That's not a magical girl show though, so what?
The OVA wasn't, but the TV show was all about turning magical girl tropes upside down, including the deformed animal helper.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
trejo said:
Woah, seems the Madoka haters have started coming out of the woodwork now that Hitokage's there for them to rally around.
Don't be sad mister bear! I won't let them tell me what to like with their snooty monocles. Especially when they've told me that K-ON! is supposedly good.

Hitokage said:
The OVA wasn't, but the TV show was all about turning magical girl tropes upside down, including the deformed animal helper.

Really? Huh. I watched about half of the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series years ago and thought it was great (I've always meant to watch the rest, that was just all that I could find of it at the time)... I did see the ending though so I know what happens), but I always thought of it as much more of a horror series than anything else... I see what you mean about the animal helper at least, though, it is true that that is somewhat reminiscent of a magical girl helper creature, and it was only in the TV series.

Uchip

Banned
Hitokage said:

thats cool and all
but you guys are kind of like anime hipsters!
just waiting for "i bet you've never heard of it" then i can move on with life

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
thats cool and all
Vampire princess miyu seemed pretty popular when i was getting into anime back in 2004. I rarely see it talked about it much these days though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uchip said:
thats cool and all
A hipster would only watch shows that other people hadn't heard of. I've just watched a ton of shows over the years, more than most.

hellclerk

Uchip said:
thats cool and all
nNSQn.gif

I'll wear my corduroy jacket over my silk screened ironic band t-shirts if I want to thanks. Knowing about anime you don't doesn't make us hipsters though. Besides, I watch a bit of everything, I just have tastes and standards. Hell, I'd say that you liking Madoka is pretty hipster if you want to place that label on us. And you wonder why people assume you only REALLY like One Piece and Madoka...

Uchip

Banned
Hitokage said:
A hipster would only watch shows that other people hadn't heard of. I've just watched a ton of shows over the years, more than most.

thats fair
but the assumption that we have all seen it before is pretty groundless
*eyes doomed1*

Lafiel said:
Vampire princess miyu seemed pretty popular when i was getting into anime back in 2004. I rarely see it talked about it much these days though.
Yeah, it was a reasonably popular late '90s TV series. It's pretty good, too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uchip said:
thats fair
but the assumption that we have all seen it before is pretty groundless
*eyes doomed1*
Who is assuming that you've seen it? The point is that it's out there and that you should see it. :D

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, it was a reasonably popular late '90s TV series. It's pretty good, too.
You need to finish it!

Ano Hana 3
This show is starting to get really good. Looks like the conflict between Jinta and creepy raper guy is going to unfold.
The moments with Jinta's Mom almost got me going.

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
nNSQn.gif

I'll wear my corduroy jacket over my silk screened ironic band t-shirts if I want to thanks. Knowing about anime you don't doesn't make us hipsters though. Besides, I watch a bit of everything, I just have tastes and standards. Hell, I'd say that you liking Madoka is pretty hipster if you want to place that label on us. And you wonder why people assume you only REALLY like One Piece and Madoka...

you mean that one user that claims that i am trolling while they continue to insult me?

Joule

firehawk12 said:
AnoHana 3: Creepy raper boy is a now jerky creepy raper boy.
At least he has a cool VA.

Guess I was right about Anaru dressing up. They played that one pretty straight though I got the motive wrong. I am pretty surprised they all got together so soon.

It seems like Yukiatsu gets a lol speculah end of episode preview bit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
InfiniteNine said:
So how many of you have seen Ayane's High Kick? I don't think I've run into someone else who has seen it.
I once saw the VHS tape for rent at a Blockbuster eons ago, but I passed on it!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
I once saw the VHS tape for rent at a Blockbuster eons ago, but I passed on it!
That's how I saw it! My parents where managers at two different blockbusters. I'd just stay with them at work and watch tapes in the back.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
InfiniteNine said:
That's how I saw it! My parents where managers at two different blockbusters. I'd just stay with them at work and watch tapes in the back.
I do remember renting Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals though.

Yeah.

hellclerk

Uchip said:
you mean that one user that claims that i am trolling while they continue to insult me?
You mean me? :p

What I'm saying is that you don't provide much depth of discussion on many other subjects. Here's a quick question: what are you watching this season?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
At least he has a cool VA.

Guess I was right about Anaru dressing up. They played that one pretty straight though I got the motive wrong. I am pretty surprised they all got together so soon.

It seems like Yukiatsu gets a lol speculah end of episode preview bit.
I'm sure he's just sad and it's him crying and not doing dirty things.

You people! :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hitokage said:
I do remember renting Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals though.

Yeah.
We were all young and stupid once. This was one of the few commonly, available titles to rent.

And yes, I did the same.

trejo

Well I'm now interested in checking out this Miyu thing. Are the TV and the OVA connected? Which one should I watch first if so?

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
You mean me? :p

What I'm saying is that you don't provide much depth of discussion on many other subjects. Here's a quick question: what are you watching this season?

older series that ive missed actually
nothing this season interests me so far and im not sure if i want to keep watching dororon
im still waiting on new Hellsing and Berserk and any high budget movie ie. Ghibli

[C] 3

Kind of a breather episode. Hell of a place to end. I am excite.

I gotta say, I am LOVING the world here. The Financial District and all the rules that come with it is a really neat idea. Can't wait for some more intense battles to happen later. I just wish it was longer. There's too much potential here to be wasted on a 1 season show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
trejo said:
Well I'm now interested in checking out this Miyu thing. Are the TV and the OVA connected? Which one should I watch first if so?
No connection at all.

Don't be like mAcOdIn and watch the OVA when I'm talking about the TV show though. ;)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Since we are talking about old anime at a video store, has anyone here seen Mad Bull? the cover always caught my interest for some reason.

Dresden

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for Apr 18 - 24
DVD
*1, 5,880 *,**5,880 Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season vol.2
*2, 3,739 *,**3,739 Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket DVD Box
*3, 2,763 *,*54,928 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*4, 2,351 *,**2,351 Nurarihyon no Mago vol.8
*5, 2,179 *,**4,838 Detective Conan Magic File 2011
*6, 2,147 *,*14,484 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.1
*7, 1,770 *,**1,770 Colorful
*8, 1,700 *,**1,700 Armored Trooper Votoms: Alone Again
*9, 1,688 *,**1,688 Heartcatch Precure! vol.13
10, 1,629 *,**1,629 Heartcatch Precure! vol.14
11, 1,228 *,**1,228 Tegami Bachi Reverse vol.5
12, 1,172 *,**1,172 Aura Battler Dunbine DVD-BOX vol.1
13, 1,062 1,068,057 My Neighbor Totoro
14, 1,018 *,**1,018 Keroro Gunsou 7th Season vol.3

Blu-ray
*1, 5,155 **5,155 Clannad: After Story Blu-ray Box
*2, 3,262 *98,691 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*3, 2,186 **2,186 Armored Trooper Votoms: Alone Again
*4, 1,660 **1,660 Colorful Limited Edition
*5, *,990 *26,433 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*6, *,883 ***,833 Fractale Limited Edition
*7, *,879 ***,879 Colorful Standard Edition
*8, *,604 110,254 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
*9, *,597 ***,597 Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa 2 vol.3
10, *,556 110,816 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1

I hope I can see Colorful somehow, soon.

trejo said:
I explained it in my last post, they're both based on the same manga series, but both are different from it and eachother, and came out far apart -- the OVA series is from the early '90s, the TV series from the late '90s. The TV series is 26 episodes, the OVA four. The OVA's interesting enough to be worth watching, but I liked what I saw of the TV series more.

trejo

A Black Falcon said:
I explained it in my last post, they're both based on the same manga series, but both are different from it and eachother, and came out far apart -- the OVA series is from the early '90s, the TV series from the late '90s. The TV series is 26 episodes, the OVA four. The OVA's interesting enough to be worth watching, but I liked what I saw of the TV series more.
Well to be fair, stuff tends to get lost amidst the length of your posts. ;)

hellclerk

Uchip said:
older series that ive missed actually
nothing this season interests me so far and im not sure if i want to keep watching dororon
im still waiting on new Hellsing and Berserk and any high budget movie ie. Ghibli
And there's your problem. Why do you watch Hellsing and Berserk? Probably primarily because of the BLOOD, GUTS, ACTION, and FUCK YEAH EDGINESS. That's fine, but that's such a shallow reason to watch a show, and why you clash with people here, because most of us watch shit for more than what we see on the surface. I mean, did you pay attention to camera angle, lighting styles, and sound design in Cowboy Bebop? Would you know why those elements are important to it's overall genre and theme? It really doesn't matter if you do or not, as long as you can enjoy it, but as to the rest of everyone else, if you can't take the horns, don't mess with the bull, or in this case, try and go toe to toe with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom