• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The problem with Madoka being overhyped is that it isn't even good. Usually, I wouldn't have a problem with a show that is "just good" being overhyped, because fans will be fans and all.. but Madoka wasn't good.

You know I never realized it before, but these discussions are always essentially people saying "how dare you think this product is great when it's merely just good!" Kind of makes me want to reevaluate my life.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
The problem with Madoka being overhyped is that it isn't even good. Usually, I wouldn't have a problem with a show that is "just good" being overhyped, because fans will be fans and all, but Madoka wasn't good.
Opinions! I thought it was pretty good at least.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
cosmicblizzard said:
You know I never realized it before, but these discussions are always essentially people saying "how dare you think this product is great when it's merely just good!" Kind of makes me want to reevaluate my life.
It's called having standards! or something.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:
I don't think that's why people are saying it's overrated. It's not so much how good it is within its genre but the quality of the show itself I think, which people are judging it from?

I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure.

It brought something new and darkedgy to what some thought would be a standard magical girl show. Whether it is inherently good or not is a different issue but the new-ness of what it did is largely responsible for it being popular.

jman2050 said:
I'll concede Madoka being overrated only along with the fact that I still think it's really really good.

Exactly. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, or even the best show in the past year (still haven't seen Wandering Son, so maybe not even in the past season). But it's a solid, well-executed show which I throughly enjoyed. Just because some fans go crazy isn't a reason to hate on anyone who likes it.

zeroshiki

Hellsing321 said:
Hype is hype. The buzz for Madoka around the net was on another level. It was like Haruhi when that came out.

Nah... Haruhi was at a whole different level.

The level of buzz created by the 1st Haruhi episode was otherworldly.

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
It brought something new and darkedgy to what some thought would be a standard magical girl show. Whether it is inherently good or not is a different issue but the new-ness of what it did is largely responsible for it being popular.

it wasnt just that
the Monty Python style and the lighting used in conjunction with the detailed backdrops
the soundtrack being done by Yuki Kajiura was what originally got me interested in this and it definitely had some memorable music.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hellsing321 said:
Hype is hype. The buzz for Madoka around the net was on another level. It was like Haruhi when that came out.
Well considering I don't really check out the anime community outside of this thread I usually go on what appeals to me. Hype is hype but it doesn't effect my enjoyment if it never reaches me. I mean look what happened to [C] I was never hyped for it so I was never let down! I still don't give a crap about it though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
zeroshiki said:
It brought something new and darkedgy to what some thought would be a standard magical girl show.
Except that something hasn't been new to magical girl stories for nearly two decades now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
Except that something hasn't been new to magical girl stories for nearly two decades now.
I think it's new to the specifically, as 7th would put it, Toei kind of magical girl story anyway.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Salazar said:
House of Five Leaves.

Just bought it - NoitaminA stuff is getting stocked in Australia, all of a sudden.

Is it good ?

Haven't seen it - but it's suppose to be good.

Doubt you made a poor purchase.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Salazar said:
House of Five Leaves.

Just bought it - NoitaminA stuff is getting stocked in Australia, all of a sudden.

Is it good ?
I haven't seen that but the next noitaminA series you should buy is Trapeze! It's called Welcome to Dr. Irabu's Office (or something close) in Australia.

Damn you Australians, getting all the good shows. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cosmicblizzard said:
What other magical girl show has
decapitation and the ground up remains of a teenage girl?
I know I'm going to incite yet another genre semantics war with this, but Red Garden comes to mind.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
Exactly. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, or even the best show in the past year (still haven't seen Wandering Son, so maybe not even in the past season). But it's a solid, well-executed show which I throughly enjoyed. Just because some fans go crazy isn't a reason to hate on anyone who likes it.

Eh, I think it's the best show I've seen that was made in the past year, with the caveat that A) I don't watch a whole ton of anime to begin with (I imagine that's true for many Madoka fans actually) and B) I can't stand shows like Wandering Son.

Nonoriri said:
upgrade.jpg

Oh hey they fixed whatsherface.
She looks much better this way.

Hitokage said:
I know I'm going to incite yet another genre semantics war with this, but Red Garden comes to mind.

Okay, how about this?

What other magical girl show has what is mentioned above (or an equally disturbing scene) and also has:

Stereotypical transformations
A typical magical girl show art style
Starts out light-hearted (or at least not dark)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was an interesting write up at animenation from their news guy about the Madoka ending.

Ending Spoilers
http://www.animenation.net/blog/201...onclusion-live-up-to-expectations/#more-25394
Ending Spoilers

Kind of like the comparison to Evangelion, though I don't think Madoka will be nearly as memorable in the long run as Evangelion.

I thoroughly enjoyed Madoka. I haven't enjoyed a Magical Girl show since Princess Tutu, so it was nice to go back to the genre. I'm pretty picky about Magical Girls shows, even pre-tutu ones, I didn't watch much, but I got to all the big ones. Sailor Moon, Utena, CCS. Also enjoyed some of the lesser known ones like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, and Ultra Maniac (which really wasn't a magical girl show, but a shoujo romantic comedy with girls who can do magic). I did think the show was different, treating the genre a bit more seriously than I had seen before.

7Th

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, how about this?

What other magical girl show has what is mentioned above (or an equally disturbing scene) and also has:

What the fuck does this mean?

Uchip

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Your fucking with a dude that knows Magical Girl stuff like the back of his hand?

im fucking with someone?

and the whole "its been done before" mentality assumes that all of the viewers are even interested in the genre in the first place let alone seen all of the obscure titles

Risette

A Good Citizen
cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, how about this?

I'm pretty sure Minky Momo fits that, although I haven't seen it. Here's a post I read about it:

"Minky Momo, magical girl anime for little girls from 1982:

>Light-hearted funny adventure from episodes 1-32
>Momo starts failing to save people in episode 33, she has two lovers commit suicide in front of her eyes.
>In the penultimate episode, Momo's best friend is shot and killed by villains who also destroy Momo’s magical pendant, robbing her of her ability to use magic.
>In the final episode, Momo herself dies in a traffic accident.

There is a second season, in which Momo is brought back to life, however...

>Momo has to save magic and the Fairy Kingdom by making humanity believe in dreams again, but she fails in her mission to restore the dreams of humanity.
>All of her fairy friends cease to exist forever. THE END."

7Th

cosmicblizzard said:
Art Style dissonance. Cute, not dark; all that stuff.

Then say that and not "typical magical girl show art style"; hell, I don't think there is anything you can call the "typical magical girl show art style". Even shows of the same franchise, like Precure, look completely different from each other.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Infinite Justice said:
Now the real question is: did you like it?

I liked the parts that I saw :3

jman2050 said:
Oh come on, just come out and say it.

You wanted to see Mina and her cute
twintails

As a lover of cute, small, almost perky
twintails
, all I can say is godbless you Japan. Now the real question is - is this show worth continuing for any reason whatsoever...

thetechkid

Finally got around to seeing Knockin' on Heaven's Door and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Also music was great as expected of Bebop.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As much as I'd like to continue as I have, my overriding laziness compels me to come clean on a few points:

- I actually liked Madoka a lot.

- I still maintain that Madoka is not as revolutionary as many claim.

- ...but I also feel that it doesn't NEED to be new and fresh.

- You guys ruined the show for me by making me think of ways to troll while I was watching it.

He was hardly in the episode. The episode was more about Jintan and Anaru to me. Pretty light hearted episode other then
Jintan's mom moments. Even though it was short it had me going for a bit.

Extollere said:
I liked the parts that I saw :3

As a lover of cute, small, almost perky
twintails
, all I can say is godbless you Japan. Now the real question is - is this show worth continuing for any reason whatsoever...

the manga is ok imo and even has some
yaoi
stuff in later chapters for those interested. Plus i liked how
Mina trolls a usual trope when dealing with lolis

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
It was already there at the beginning with the Sailor Moon manga.
Never read the manga, but the animu was fairly straight up about it. Probably the only thing that tried to disturb it was the yuri stuff once the outer senshi showed up.

But even PreCure has the bifauxnen or whatever that character trope is called.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
As much as I'd like to continue as I have, my overriding laziness compels me to come clean on a few points:

- I actually liked Madoka a lot.

- I still maintain that Madoka is not as revolutionary as many claim.

- ...but I also feel that it doesn't NEED to be new and fresh.

- You guys ruined the show for me by making me think of ways to troll while I was watching it.
So you want to go buy some Homu figures with me now?

Aigis said:
I'm pretty sure Minky Momo fits that, although I haven't seen it. Here's a post I read about it:

"Minky Momo, magical girl anime for little girls from 1982:

>Light-hearted funny adventure from episodes 1-32
>Momo starts failing to save people in episode 33, she has two lovers commit suicide in front of her eyes.
>In the penultimate episode, Momo's best friend is shot and killed by villains who also destroy Momo’s magical pendant, robbing her of her ability to use magic.
>In the final episode, Momo herself dies in a traffic accident.

There is a second season, in which Momo is brought back to life, however...

>Momo has to save magic and the Fairy Kingdom by making humanity believe in dreams again, but she fails in her mission to restore the dreams of humanity.
>All of her fairy friends cease to exist forever. THE END."

Hmmm. Getting closer, but it's still not quite there yet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want a guro magical girl series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom