• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
It's been pointed out many times before in this thread, but Kaiji is moe.
bro-moe?

flawfuls said:
Yes that is exactly what you should do, that is what everyone should do. I don't know how you monocle people can call yourself elitist without watching this show. It's one of the most cultured and sophisticated anime ever. Also it has funny faces that make me laugh.
Historical Japanese stuff is kind of... well, as interesting as phantasy. I blame Three Kingdoms for burning me out on historical stuff. But, yeah, I know I need to watch this eventually... better now than when it's up in the 30s.

Hitokage said:
I can give you an episode by episode breakdown of what is awesome and what is not about Utena, and it will actually not just have AWESOME slapped everywhere. Furthermore, when you watch Utena you are invested for 39 episodes, no more.

And I can do the same for a lot of shounen. Do you want one for the arc I'm talking about?

jman2050

InfiniteNine said:
Best character:
lrqGt.jpg

See I9 knows his shit.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Foreign stalker girl > all, for obvious reasons.
They pretty much dropped the stalker angle on her completely after the first episode. She was basically just a walking panty shot after that, they even lampshaded it.

Geneijin

Uchip said:
Its more that Im too lazy to respond to more than one thing in a post and have no interest in arguing about the intricacies of anime perversion. Thats why I try to change the subject to a more humorous one ;)
In general, every time you don't want to engage deeply into an argument or discussion, then explicitly state you don't want to in your next response and end it then and there, don't respond to the reply, or stop responding like you want to engage in one and slowly back away from it when you have no desire to engage in one to begin with or you're losing interest in continuing it. You slowly derailing the argument you're engaging in comes off more negatively than positively, and it shows an unwillingness to having an actual discussion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it's actually a reference to Mother (Earthbound Zero).

Ahhhh. Maybe Mother 1 made the original reference. :lol

mAcOdIn said:
But she's not foreign!
I can't remember, was she Japanese and then went abroad and then came back blonde?

Branduil said:
They pretty much dropped the stalker angle on her completely after the first episode. She was basically just a walking panty shot after that, they even lampshaded it.
Oh yep, she becomes the fetish object.

But, it's my first encounter with dat voice, so...

Jex

Branduil said:
They had to make room for real stalker girl.

mAcOdIn

InfiniteNine said:
I'm pretty sure that's two different characters! Possibly three.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the blonde played by Yuu Kobayashi, who has a foreigner and Japanese personality, but is not a foreigner, and was a stalker for all of one episode.

Although it's firehawk, he could have mixed up the little foreigner girl, the stalker girl and Yuu Kobayashi's character in his mind to create his ultimate waifu.
Jexhius said:
If everyone has their own special SZS girl then the show has designed it's characters well.
Sadly there's probably still some guys left out, we need moar!

jman2050

Branduil said:

He's confusing you, the foreign girl was supposed to be schizo but they dropped that after the first episode. Stalker girl is a different character.

She also has the best running gag in the series, followed closely by "Don't call me normal"

God I need a season 4 of this shit so bad...

Uchip

Banned
Geneijin said:
In general, every time you don't want to engage deeply into an argument or discussion, then explicitly state you don't want to in your next response and end it then and there, don't respond to the reply, or stop responding like you want to engage in one and slowly back away from it when you have no desire to engage in one to begin with or you're losing interest in continuing it. You slowly derailing the argument you're engaging in comes off more negatively than positively, and it shows an unwillingness to having an actual discussion.

but I feel the need to add my 2cents :(
at least now everyone knows me and doesn't need to take it seriously

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Uchip said:
I guess you have never been on heavy medication for most of your life
it has nothing to do with my intellect and those comments are a bit insulting really
it tends to make you uninterested in most things...
dealing with your own mortality can make somebody (me) care less about realistic soap operas and slice of life shows and take a liking to fantasy.

for the record im far more interested in the choreography and timing of important scenes than the realism that they intentionally ignore. You certainly chose a strange medium to be critically analyzing.
It's not meant to be insulting, as I don't believe you're uneducated, I'm merely expressing a personal frustration. And it's not that I dislike fantasy in any way. My favorite show of all time is Kino's Journey, which is about someone who travels improbable lands on a talking motorcycle. It's not about fantasy or drama, it's about the narrative to me. If you're uninterested, be uninterested, but I'd at least like you to back up your interests, because that can create interesting discussion and bring up ideas neither of us would have thought of before. Trust me, it enhances the enjoyment of a medium.

Uchip said:
but I feel the need to add my 2cents :(
at least now everyone knows me and doesn't need to take it seriously
You always need to back up that two cents with another quarter. And that's not a good thing, not being taken seriously I mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
Although it's firehawk, he could have mixed up the little foreigner girl, the stalker girl and Yuu Kobayashi's character in his mind to create his ultimate waifu.
Oh, now I remember, there was the other foreign girl who was from some nondescript country living illegally in Japan.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
Best character:
lrqGt.jpg
Not enough psycopathy.

Honestly it's hard to choose between Chiri and Kafka. Chiri is much better at being blatantly OCD and sociopathic, but Kafka's extreme Pollyanna syndrome hiding the murderous desires beneath is also impressive.

Dresden said:
Y'all crazy, Bandage-tan is like the ultimate moe.

Moe? Moe is unnecessary, insanity is so much more interesting.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Historical Japanese stuff is kind of... well, as interesting as phantasy. I blame Three Kingdoms for burning me out on historical stuff. But, yeah, I know I need to watch this eventually... better now than when it's up in the 30s.

It's significantly easier to get into and follow than most historical shows. They don't expect you to know anything besides that there was this guy called Nobunaga and he was pretty badass. It's mostly about lusting over teapots so far, but the political stuff is picking up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
Fantastic episode. I wonder how this show will develop as it goes on. I guess knowing actual history would help here. Does Nobunaga ever actually try to take over China or Korea?
Interests, but it isn't till Hideyoshi do the invasions of Korea begin.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Not enough psycopathy.

Honestly it's hard to choose between Chiri and Kafka. Chiri is much better at being blatantly OCD and sociopathic, but Kafka's extreme Pollyanna syndrome hiding the murderous desires beneath is also impressive.

That's easy though, Kafka > Chiri, surely.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
Sadly there's probably still some guys left out, we need moar!
I don't know what other types exist, possibly variations so disturbing I don't want to see them in a show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
It's significantly easier to get into and follow than most historical shows. They don't expect you to know anything besides that there was this guy called Nobunaga and he was pretty badass. It's mostly about lusting over teapots so far, but the political stuff is picking up.
I think it's more the Asian guys in armor charging at each other and whatnot, but I know it's not that kind of show. :lol
I'll get to it!

Dresden

oh shit guys, ratings going up for noitaminA shows

Ratings for the week of April 18 - 24:

20.1%(20.5%) 04/24 18:30-19:00 CX* Sazae-san
13.2%(13.1%) 04/24 18:00-18:30 CX* Chibi Maruko-chan
10.3%(10.2%) 04/24 *9:30-10:00 CX* One Piece
*9.0%(*6.0%) 04/23 18:00-18:30 NTV Detective Conan
*8.3%(--.-%) 04/22 19:00-19:54 EX* Crayon Shin-chan (1-hour special)
*7.7%(*6.7%) 04/24 *9:00-*9:30 CX* Toriko
*6.1%(*5.9%) 04/21 19:00-19:30 TX* Pokemon Best Wishes!
*5.2%(*5.4%) 04/24 *8:30-*9:00 EX* Suite PreCure ♪
*4.2%(*5.0%) 04/18 19:00-19:30 TX* Tamagochi!
*4.0%(*5.5%) 04/20 19:00-19:27 TX* Inazuma Eleven
*4.0%(*5.1%) 04/23 *8:35-*9:00 ETV Osaru no George
-------------------------------
*3.7%(*4.5%) 04/20 19:27-19:55 TX* Danball Senki
*2.8%(*2.4%) 04/24 *6:30-*7:00 EX* Digimon Xros Wars
*2.6%(*2.1%) 04/19 25:09-25:39 NTV Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji - Hakairoku-Hen
*2.5%(*3.0%) 04/24 *7:00-*7:30 NTV Beelzebub
*2.5%(*2.6%) 04/24 *7:00-*7:30 EX* Battle Spirits: Brave
*2.5%(*1.6%) 04/21 24:50-26:50 CX* noitaminA - [C] - AnoHana
*2.2%(*3.6%) 04/18 19:30-20:00 TX* Yugioh ZEXAL
*1.9%(*2.1%) 04/22 16:30-17:00 NTV Soreike! Anpanman
*1.2%(*0.9%) 04/19 25:39-26:09 NTV Yuruani?
*0.9%(*1.0%) 04/22 27:08-27:38 NTV Dragon Crisis!
It was at 1.6% or so for the first episode.

The ghost loli show is doing well.

I also bolded Kaiji just because I could.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
That's easy though, Kafka > Chiri, surely.
not?
Branduil said:
Not enough psycopathy.

At the beginning maybe, the show really lost it in the following seasons, the characters aren't even in their roles any more, it really has devolved into a blatant harem with just a handful of characters actually still clinging to their original namesakes while everyone else is just full on crazy.
Jexhius said:
I don't know what other types exist, possibly variations so disturbing I don't want to see them in a show.
Well you have a furry lover but no furry, that's a start.

Geneijin

trejo said:
I stopped caring about Naruto at about the same point Kishimoto stopped caring about him as well to focus on fantasizing about Sasuke.
It's still the first image result. Lovely.

I remember someone getting a tag for that when he accidentally made a thread about it :lol

hosannainexcelsis said:
Detective Conan 1

As a long-time fan of mysteries and detectives, I can't resist starting this most famous (and only?) detective anime, even though I know that I'll never be able to finish it because it will never finish.

This first episode doesn't waste any time with the murders, showing the first one in the OP and introducing Kudo immediately with the dramatic summation. Then we get a second murder committed and solved - and that's even before the central premise of the show is set in motion! It's no-nonsense about its classic mystery tropes, but I love them, so I don't mind. I do look forward to more complicated cases in the future.

Enjoy the trip. You haven't even gotten started yet. This is one my favorite series (both manga and anime), and it gets way better as it goes on. The mysteries get a lot more complicated, and the cast get rounded out really well.

Hitokage said:
Sure, let's see it.

All right. Sneak peak!

cosmicblizzard's awesomness and not awesomness summary of the Sasuke Retrieval arc (spoilers):

Episode 112-114: Chouji Fight
Awesomeness

We get a TON of character development in this fight. What was previously assumed to be a useless character is confirmed to actually be one of the most badass ones with incredible physical prowess. Being motivated by both Shikamaru and Naruto, we see some glimpses of the effect Naruto's nature has on people that may or may not be super skilled at what they do. Also, the butterfly wings were fuckin awesome and really cemented Chouji as a fan favorite.

Not Awesomeness

Naruto's past gets retconned a bit, which isn't terrible, but it does show that he was friends with the "useless trio" despite the "always being alone" thing. It's still safe to say he was pretty hated though.

Chouji's means of powering up was also kind of dumb. He eats some pills and automatically gets more powerful. While the intervals he used the pills in was paced well, it's still a BS powerup.

Give me like 20 minutes and I'll do more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
oh shit guys, ratings going up for noitaminA shows

It was at 1.6% or so for the first episode.

The ghost loli show is doing well.
Everyone loves Ana...ru.

mAcOdIn said:
not?

Well you have a furry lover but no furry, that's a start.
They need to port wolf girl from Spice and Wolf then!

And, Chiri is the really the straight girl of the show anyway... or at least she's as close to an audience surrogate that we get in the show. Even normal girl is weird because she's normal.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
And, Chiri is the really the straight girl of the show anyway... or at least she's as close to an audience surrogate that we get in the show. Even normal girl is weird because she's normal.

Don't call her normal!

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
They need to port wolf girl from Spice and Wolf then!
Why the fuck would I want them to downgrade Holo by having her fucking fawn over the teacher? Leaver her out of it, go bring in one of those stupid foxes from Kanokon or some shit.

And Chie-sensei's the straightest person there, maybe the Hikkimori girl.

Branduil

mAcOdIn said:
not?
At the beginning maybe, the show really lost it in the following seasons, the characters aren't even in their roles any more, it really has devolved into a blatant harem with just a handful of characters actually still clinging to their original namesakes while everyone else is just full on crazy.
Yeah I think the show is better in small doses than extended ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom