• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
It's pretty classy, I feel.
Lol, I love the show but have no question over what it really is. First season has them all naked at a hot springs, constant panty flashes, there's some blatant sexual undertones between all the students and the teacher, one of the OVAs did some pretty suggestive stuff with the blonde Kobayashi voiced girl, it's not tasteful, not at all.

Dresden

All this SZS talk just reminded me of that old story where Kafka ties up the normal girl onto a desk and educates her. I think I read it a few years back on a certain imageboard.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
Lol, I love the show but have no question over what it really is. First season has them all naked at a hot springs, constant panty flashes, there's some blatant sexual undertones between all the students and the teacher, one of the OVAs did some pretty suggestive stuff with the blonde Kobayashi voiced girl, it's not tasteful, not at all.
Hey man, it's all just gags! That's why you don't see anything!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cosmicblizzard said:
All right. Sneak peak!

cosmicblizzard's awesomness and not awesomness summary of the Sasuke Retrieval arc (spoilers):

Episode 112-114: Chouji Fight
NO!

Episode by episode. No hiding shitty pacing.

Steroyd

jman2050 said:
Sorry dudes, no.

http://i56.tinypic.com/a3o4ck.png[img]

You do not say no to this face.

You just don't.[/QUOTE]

But would you ever defy Kafka?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Anime/z36_resize.jpg

Would you?

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
I think it's more the Asian guys in armor charging at each other and whatnot, but I know it's not that kind of show. :lol
I'll get to it!

No in Hyouge Mono politics are reflected by tea ceremony etiquette. There was this one guy that didn't use the teapot Nobunaga have him during a banquet so it's pretty obvious the slut is going betray Nobunaga later.

Dresden said:
oh shit guys, ratings going up for noitaminA shows

It was at 1.6% or so for the first episode.

The ghost loli show is doing well.

I also bolded Kaiji just because I could.

That is a big boast. Loli girl saves the day it seems.

jman2050 said:
SZS is incredibly classy! Social commentary and whatnot.

Even the panty shots are classy!

The first season started out as a quirky harem show and somewhere along the line turned into a biting satire of modern Japanese society.

Are the latter seasons that much worse than the first? All this talk makes me eager for more SZS.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Enjoy the trip. You haven't even gotten started yet. This is one my favorite series (both manga and anime), and it gets way better as it goes on. The mysteries get a lot more complicated, and the cast get rounded out really well.

Good to know. I'm in this for the long haul.

Jex

flawfuls said:
No in Hyouge Mono politics are reflected by tea ceremony etiquette. There was this one guy that didn't use the teapot Nobunaga have him during a banquet so it's pretty obvious the slut is going betray Nobunaga later.
I'm greatly enjoying how serious tea is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Ah, so it's like the duelling banjos scene in the John Woo's Red Cliff. I could go with that.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The first season started out as a quirky harem show and somewhere along the line turned into a biting satire of modern Japanese society.

Are the latter seasons that much worse than the first? All this talk makes me eager for more SZS.
I think accepted wisdom is that it's good, then dips to being bad, and then comes back to be great.

mAcOdIn

hosannainexcelsis said:

It's not worse it's just in the first season everyone had their roles the latter seasons follow the same structure with there being an issue broguht up, them exploring both sides of it and then moving on to another one except now they're all just crazy. Stalker girl, Nami and the Hikkimori girl are about the only ones that are actually still in character while the rest are just full on crazy now.

It's different, it's still good for an anime, still funny, but it's not what it was when it started which disappoints me somewhat.

trejo

I only ever watched the first season of SZS and I thought it was somewhat funny but nothing all that special. I'm kinda curious about the comments some of you make about the super positive girl being the worst psycho of them all because I don't remember anything to suggest that.

Yay or nay on the subsequent seasons?

mAcOdIn

trejo said:
I only ever watched the first season of SZS and I thought it was somewhat funny but nothing all that special. I'm kinda curious about the comments some of you make about the super positive girl being the worst psycho of them all because I don't remember anything to suggest that.

Well I say yay because I genuinely like the show.

As for Kafuka being crazy that was suggested in the first season in a handful of places along with some of the ED imagery but she never really broke character in season 1 like she will later on.

Dresden

flawfuls said:
That is a big boast. Loli girl saves the day it seems.
The timeslot just needed more lolis, that's all.
trejo said:

Yay.

Besides, dem openings, dude. Dem openings.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:

Macodin is completely right that the show changes direction quite a bit as it goes on, but I still think it remains awesome the whole way through, just for different reasons the farther you get.

If anything, season 2 episode 7 is legendary.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
mAcOdIn said:
Well yes, but you never see anything! Mr. Kumeta's face always comes up and blocks out that which is unclassy, making it classy again and shaming those who would imagine unclassy things!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firehawk12 said:
I think accepted wisdom is that it's good, then dips to being bad, and then comes back to be great.
Yeah, it starts being like South Park at its worst, then just stops giving a fuck and becomes fun again.

Hitokage said:
NO!

Episode by episode. No hiding shitty pacing.

Hmmm. I only remember the fights and events as a whole and not by individual episodes. Let me check them out again to see where each one ends and begins.

Edit: Bah, this is too much effort. I concede (whatever my point was).

Might as well post what I was writing for 116-118 anyway.

cosmicblizzard's awesomness and not awesomness summary of the Sasuke Retrieval arc part 2 (spoilers):

Episode 116-118: Neji fight
Awesomeness

Once again, we get some pretty important character development. Neji, previously an elitist douchebag, has lightened up significantly due to Naruto crushing his jaw. Because of that, we can actually root for him and his totally awesome strategies. The genius does not disappoint. With a combination of the Byakugan and Juuken (both which we learn more about), he takes down a very dangerous enemy in a logical way.

Not Awesomeness
Using his Byakugan to cover his blind spot (which is an arched view) MAY seem like an ass pull. YMMV of course. I honestly thought it was fine considering who the character was. Dude's gotta be aware of his weak points.

Jex

It certainly changes it focus throughout but that's fine. I think it's best not to experience the whole thing in marathon because it might start to drag.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Hey guys did you hear that anime is like, awesome? And it can contain camera angles that you could scarcely do in live action? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4LUYad9MbE&feature=youtu.be
That first guy was painful to listen to.

TECHNOLOGICAL ENTERTAINMENT.

trejo said:

Not really sure how you missed it, in the first episode she talks about how her father would often try to kill himself.

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
Well yes, but you never see anything! Mr. Kumeta's face always comes up and blocks out that which is unclassy, making it classy again and shaming those who would imagine unclassy things!
Silly me, forever alone gaf, myself included, thought that's what breasts look like! I change my verdict to classy.

Dresden

Speaking of classy, Hyouge Mono is once again classy as hell.

Sexiest warlord of 2011.

PAX55l.jpg

His body looks kind of weird, actually, but damn son. Nobu-chan was ripped.

Branduil said:
That first guy was painful to listen to.

TECHNOLOGICAL ENTERTAINMENT.

Not really sure how you missed it, in the first episode she talks about how her father would often try to kill himself.

I think the fact she was so super positive no one took her seriously.

Once i realized she was the college girl and the whole naming thing then i started to.

trejo

Branduil said:
Yes, I do remember she often paints grim situations in a super positive light but I thought that was just part of her flowers and rainbows kind of character and nothing to suggest some hidden ulterior motives.

Also, I am dense.

Kuran

Banned
Ano Hi Mita Hana is amazingly good. Besides the few moments of awkward sexploitation, the show is perfectly paced and written.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
The timeslot just needed more lolis, that's all.
It started with with Honey and Clover after all. The spirit of Hagu lives on.

Instro said:
C Ep3

Glad I stuck with this show, its getting better. Was I supposed to recognize that dude at the end btw?
I believe he was the
main character's friend's boyfriend.

Dresden said:
Speaking of classy, Hyouge Mono is once again classy as hell.

Sexiest warlord of 2011.

PAX55l.jpg

His body looks kind of weird, actually, but damn son. Nobu-chan was ripped.

So good.

Jex

Steins;Gate 4

This show is still good, even if the production values and general presentation is lacking.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Steins;Gate 4

This show is still good, even if the production values and general presentation is lacking.
Frankly, if it weren't for the back and forths between crazy scientist dude and CHRISTINA I would have dropped it already.

Jex

trejo said:
Frankly, if it weren't for the back and forths between crazy scientist dude and CHRISTINA I would have dropped it already.
Eh, that stuff trends towards the repetitive. I'm more interested in the overall plot.

Denpa 3

Good plan there, douche.

I really like the dialogue in this show. The characters are actually interesting too. Even if it is in the bottom rank of the shows I'm watching this season, it's still surprising.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
Denpa 3

Good plan there, douche.

I really like the dialogue in this show. The characters are actually interesting too. Even if it is in the bottom rank of the shows I'm watching this season, it's still surprising.
I assume you know it's coming but:

Wait wait, the dialogue in this show is good but it's boring in Bakemonogatari?

Ano Hana 3

If Jason was writing about this episode he'd put something like "top five ways to be woken up in the morning" and then have a pithy list+sports reference.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
It started with with Honey and Clover after all. The spirit of Hagu lives on.
Such a bad comparison. Ones actually a 7-8 year old girl, in her 14 year old body(even if it's as flat as a surfboard). While ones a 20 year old, who acts 7-8.

flawfuls

Osaka said:
What's Hyouge Mono like? Seems interesting.

It's about a vassal to Nobunaga who is too cultured for his own good. It's a very unique political drama which features intense battles tea ceremonies, fantastic characters and excellent writing. The production values aren't that great, but it going to be a 39 episode show. It's certainly worth a checking out at least.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
flawfuls said:
It's about a vassal to Nobunaga who is too cultured for his own good. It's a very unique political drama which features intense battles tea ceremonies, fantastic characters and excellent writing. The production values aren't that great, but it going to be a 39 episode show. It's certainly worth a checking out at least.

ANN lists it as comedy. What kind of comedy can you get out of tea ceremonies? D:

trejo

Denpa Onna 3

The OP song is so fucking terrible. Why the hell do I always sit through all of it?

And that extends to the show as well. Stuff that would normally be a deal breaker for me, while noticeable, I don't seem to pay much attention to. I posit it all has something to do with dem legs.

Still, aunt Ami-chan>all. Who cares if she's a lousy parent.

jman2050

Okay I'm actually really close to defecting to Team Ano Hana after episode 3, but I still have to see exactly where they're going with this. It seems like they're just kinda meandering about with the plot with characters that we haven't really learned all that much about. They need to establish exactly what we should be wathcing this show for beyond the initial premise, if that makes any sense.

With that said, what's shown so far is interesting enough, so I'll keep watching until it gives me a reason not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom