• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Miri said:
In your sad neighborhood! That's okay though, you can roll through mine every once and awhile, just hold a white flag up admitting that Gintama is awesome and K-ON belongs in the negative pages of history, and I won't steal your tires.

bah
half the jokes are directed at jump fans
and the randomness is hit and miss
its not bad, but its certainly a show aimed at teenage boys

Branduil

Eve no Jikan - the movie

Great stuff. The characters are just so well-realized and compelling. And the added scenes really improve it. Bottom line, you can't call yourself an anime fan if you don't want to watch this.

Lain

Dresden said:
So they're doing a live-action adaptation of Arakawa... and also a movie. Did anyone even watch that show?

I watched the first episodes, thought it was great, decide to wait for it to end to marathon it... then I forgot.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
Is that the show where the pink haired girl gets plowed by the big burly man?
Doesn't that and Kite (by the same director) have a 15-20 minute rape scene.:lol

Oniichan no koto etc. 12 - Bland and generic non-ending, in a show in THIS genre? I am shocked! But yeah, it was a pretty generic episode. Not one of the series' better ones, it was more "generic incest/harem" stuff for the ending. Oh well, at least a few parts were funny.

Love Hina 16 - Not the show's best episode, but it was good enough. It's the "beach teahouse / Journey to the West play" episode. It's actually not a beach episode, it's about the play mostly. Of course though because this is based on Akamatsu work some fanservice is fit in anyway.

icarus-daedelus said:
Forget DEEN, has Bee Train ever done anything remotely good? I mean, besides hiring good composers occasionally? They're at insta-skip status for me.
Noir is great, El Cazador and Avenger pretty good, .hack//Sign and Liminality very good... they've made some worse ones too, sure (.hack//Twilight's Bracelet, among others...), but I at least definitely like their better shows.

flawfuls said:
It's a 39 episode anime that is very unique, actually aimed at adults and based on last years Tezuka Osamu Cultural grand prize winning manga. From what I can tell based on the tiny little bit that was translated, it is probably one of the best if not the best manga to even get an anime adaptation.

On the other hand it's Bee Train, but I think that even a Tsubasa level adaptation of this source material would be worth a watch.

If someone starts translating the manga again I am probably going to bail out quickly though.
Sounds interesting. I'll definitely try it.

cj_iwakura said:
Hey, at least they didn't remove the save system from "Mobile Light Force 2" like happened to Mobile Light Force/Gunbird and Sol Divide on the PS1... removing the story makes it a bit less of a game (that happened to all three of these titles), but it doesn't wreck the actual gameplay like removing saving does. I'll never understand what in the world they were thinking when they did that...

mAcOdIn said:
I gotta show you guys why I deserve number 1, I have a shitload of posts and they're ABF level long!
That is probably true.

Well, deal with it.
Sure.

He was merely saying why he's boring by illustrating his role, an act I don't subscribe to or else I'd also be forced to defend Haruhi because of the role she plays.
Oh, so that's what he meant... no, I didn't get it at all. And yeah, I agree, a foil for the watcher clearly is Kyon's role... which is part of the problem, because I definitely wasn't thinking "I would do like he is". I'm not sure what I'd do, but not like what he does for sure. I don't know though, maybe that's how the average Japanese guy watching it thinks they'd act? Maybe not? I have no idea.

Well, both for me but for most people the latter. Although I'm an Army brat and was in the Army myself, so yeah I moved around a lot.
While I've lived in one state for all but one year of my life. Several different towns in that state, but one state.

He made a good entrance, that was about it, lol.
Pretty much, yeah.

Actually I like or liked the show, knowing it's not really going anywhere interesting has kind of retroactively negatively altered my opinion but I liked it for sure when it came out despite wanting to choke the life out of Haruhi.
Huh, I'd think with how central a character she is to the show that disliking her would make it pretty hard to like the show...

Lol, so you'd love to go to the beach with Haruhi? If there is an afterlife and I somehow get stuck with a Haruhi clone for eternity I know who's fault it is and well use her to fucking find your afterlife and kill you.
Liking a show, or character(s) in a show, and wanting to personally be friends with that character are completely different things... sure, I imagine that in reality I wouldn't get along with her, but that's completely besides the point, what should that have to do with whether the show is entertaining or not? Those are two completely different things. If I had to think "I want to actually know those people" to like anime, I'm not so sure how much of it I'd actually be able to watch... I just think that Haruhi's a decent character who makes the show more entertaining to watch and who has some good points too, not just bad. But that should not lead to thinking what you're saying there.

Like I said, the plot itself is moving forward, the characters, not so much.
Well, things are happening anyway, so technically it's moving forward... but with how the characters always end up the same after things happen, it's more like it's going around in circles than heading towards any actual destination. Too bad.

iavi

Uchip said:
bah
half the jokes are directed at jump fans
and the randomness is hit and miss
its not bad, but its certainly a show aimed at teenage boys

What you trying to say, huh? HUH PUNK? j/k

It is hit or miss, I agree. It just happens to hit more often with me than not. I find Beelzebub to be similar in that regard.

Uchip

Banned
Miri said:
What you trying to say, huh? HUH PUNK? j/k

It is hit or miss, I agree. It just happens to hit more often with me than not. I find Beelzebub to be similar in that regard.

its still better than k-on ;)

InfiniteNine said:
Is that the show where the pink haired girl gets plowed by the big burly man?

Lafiel said:
Doesn't that and Kite (by the same director) have a 15-20 minute rape scene.:lol
Uncensored Kite does have some long rape scenes, yes. They actually have some plot purpose, in explaining why the girl is so broken, but it's certainly overdone. In Mezzo Forte, though, while both sex scenes are rape, to spoil things there are catches that sort of negate that --
In one scene the "girl" who's getting raped is actually a robot clone, which the real girl is using as a distraction to get the guys where she wants them so she could pop up and kill them, and in the other scene it's just her dream and isn't real. Of course, the idea that she'd dream about her coworkers raping her is pretty unlikely...
Yeah, Mezzo Forte's sex scenes are entirely unnecessary, watching the censored version won't lose anything of note. The Mezzo Forte DSA series that followed it up has no sex scenes in it too, and is the better for it.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I'll occasionally listen to funimation dubs (Oofuri and Beck were good) and I think they're above average for dubbing overall, but I can't bring myself to listen to Spice & Wolf in English. Not that the acting is bad, as I'm sure it's fine, but it just feels wrong, somehow. It's one of those shows where I strongly associate the Japanese VAs with the characters themselves.
Oh I totally agree, I can't imagine anyone being Holo or Lawrence other than the Japanese VAs, they did a great job and I'll forever associate them with those roles. I did try a few minutes with the dub on my season one DVD and I can not stand Holo, it was just, ugh. But I recognize that there is, or at least all these companies think there is, a contingent of people who they're trying to sell the show to that only buy dubs and I think Spice and Wolf should get the best chance at the widest fanbase it can get, so I'll let them take their time with it and get it dubbed if that will increase it's sales.

Glass Fleet getting dubbed though is silly as shit, as if there is an audience for that, I wish there was a NPD for anime in the US, probably is and Hito or someone will come in and make fun of me, so I can see if these shows even sell at all. Sadly, I'd be willing to bet Gonzo titles sell decent in the States, for an anime of course.
icarus-daedelus said:
Anyways, season 1 came out over a year ago; they better be preparing me a blu-ray special edition for S2 with complimentary back rub for that wait. Sadly, I have none of your patience.
That would be even better though, that they're waiting to secure the rights to the Bluray and release them as a Bluray/DVD combo like they've started doing, oh that'd make my fucking day. But email Lance over at Funimation, maybe he can work something out if you're ever in the Austin area backrub wise.

I feel like an idiot because I did that survey for them over what of their current titles only being streamed that I wanted to see get Bluray or DVD releases and Spice and Wolf season 2 wasn't on there so in the comments part at the end I asked them when it was coming but forgot to fucking put my email address. God damnit, I know that that was the one time I'd ever get a question answered since I left off my email address.
cosmicblizzard said:
cosmicblizzard's totally accurate and unbiased elitist ranking list of animu thread regulars:
Class A: Fake Monocle People
4. Macodin
5. 7th
6. Jerk
Damnit, I'm only fourth? This is like the story of my life, always doing well but never the best, I hate this more than flat out sucking. It's like when I almost went home with those three girls when I worked at Dennys.
flawfuls said:
What I don't get is how Macodin is so high. I mean the dude writes essays about Infinite Statos and Samurai Girls.
That's not true, I totally deserve to be up there even if I don't know what a Dolly Shot is.
pieatorium said:
But there to bash those shows no?
See this guy knows why I do what I do.
cosmicblizzard said:
Writing essays about anything will put you high up there. ABF would be higher if anyone read his.
I read them ABF!! For the rest of you, I guess this means some people read my long posts? Yay!
zeroshiki said:
macodin and ABF will be debating about minor details like pantsu color in the worst harem show of the season and you and Jex will be talking about metaphysical sadness or some such in whatever show the monocle people like.
Nah, I'd be talking about how lame the panty shot is and ABF will be trying to explain how integral panty shots are to the fan service and how it excites the fanbase because they didn't have underwear in the Edo period or some shit.
Hitokage said:
I don't read much of the ABF/mAcOdIn exchanges myself.
Ouch.
jman2050 said:
I ignore the ABF/Mac exhanges and about 60% of Jexhius's blog posts.
Damn! I'm still here!
InfiniteNine said:
Pretty much!
Lafiel said:
Put me in the camp that reads all the posts in the anime thread except skims all the ABF / Macodin wall of texts..
Branduil said:
I speed-read most of the thread except the Mac/ABF walls of text which I just skip.
trejo said:
I usually read every post and skim over the ABF/mac convos.
Damnit, there's a camp now?
Geneijin said:
Glass Fleet - 02
Wow, you have dedication I'll give you that.
Dresden said:
It's amazing how a pair of pants can affect a relationship.
Yep, someone's gotta wear them in a relationship.
A Black Falcon said:
Noir is great, El Cazador and Avenger pretty good, .hack//Sign and Liminality very good... they've made some worse ones too, sure (.hack//Twilight's Bracelet, among others...), but I at least definitely like their better shows.
Lol, El Cazador called good, lol. Bus Gamer was better because at least it was only 3 episodes.
A Black Falcon said:
Huh, I'd think with how central a character she is to the show that disliking her would make it pretty hard to like the show...
That's why I belong on the Monocle Brigade, because I can separate my feelings from reality.
A Black Falcon said:
Liking a show, or character(s) in a show, and wanting to personally be friends with that character are completely different things... sure, I imagine that in reality I wouldn't get along with her, but that's completely besides the point, what should that have to do with whether the show is entertaining or not? Those are two completely different things. If I had to think "I want to actually know those people" to like anime, I'm not so sure how much of it I'd actually be able to watch... I just think that Haruhi's a decent character who makes the show more entertaining to watch and who has some good points too, not just bad. But that should not lead to thinking what you're saying there.
Only somewhat. See, all of our subconsciouses are at work right now yet we're not all batshit crazy like Haruhi, if they'd had a more normal character instead of Haruhi they could have still pulled off the show and I wouldn't have hated Haruhi.
A Black Falcon said:
Well, things are happening anyway, so technically it's moving forward... but with how the characters always end up the same after things happen, it's more like it's going around in circles than heading towards any actual destination. Too bad.
Pretty much.
Regulus Tera said:
Wait, people actually read every single post in these threads?
I just went and replied to 15 pages worth of posts, so yeah, I read every post. :)

I demand some kind of number 1 now. At least the recognition that this is equal to 15 posts.

Dresden

Sadistic Nazi teachers...

DTcWI.jpg

Nazi guards armed with Wolverine claws...

cSdA5.jpg

And the brave, naked, woman who fights them.

7Zgfu.jpg

Dresden

Miri said:
Is it actually good?
It's very campy. Asides from how absurd it is, though, it's not that good.

That said, aesthetically, there's something to appreciate about all the uncensored nipples.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
And here I thought it'd take 90 episode for Godai to pass the test.

Molasses moves faster than Maison Ikkoku.

Steroyd

cj_iwakura said:
KareKano actually subverts this trope.

But then nothing else happens.

They sleep together...

...and then the guy goes back to being shy holding hands, wtf is wrong with anime!?

And ffs @ this thread, I'm in the read every post but ABF x Macodin posts, but jeez it explodes overnight, and a whole new page seems to pop up after I finish reading one.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
Wow, you have dedication I'll give you that.
vfsuq.gif

It really writes itself. No shop involved. The dialogue is self-explanatory. It's why that and this are in episode 2:

0O6yf.gif

A little exaggerated but it still happened.

Curiosity might be killing me to see what kind of ideas they have for this series.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
This thread is moving at an overall rate of just under one post per minute. You should all be proud!

Pfft we're now at the boring part. When US-GAF is asleep and Euro-GAF haven't gotten up yet.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halycon said:
And here I thought it'd take 90 episode for Godai to pass the test.

Molasses moves faster than Maison Ikkoku.

Maison ikkoku is one of the few series i know of where the slow progression of the plot works to it's benefit!

This thread is moving at an overall rate of just under one post per minute. You should all be proud!
Personally last thread i thought anime-gaf would hit a state of decline, but as this thread proves. We haven't.

Swag

Lafiel said:
Personally last thread i thought anime-gaf would hit a state of decline, but as this thread proves. We haven't.
You'd think people would get tired of talking about the same things, but the cycle continues!

Haly

Sebulon3k said:
Does that include fapping to pictures of fish?
Dem fins. Feels good man.

Well. That's certainly one way to confess to a woman, inadvertently, while drink, and shouting to the rest of the neighbordhood.

Wow he's pretty strong for someone who lives off of cup noodles.

Okay, so. I owe someone $10.

Steroyd

Paprikka said:
The Hanamaru talk made me finally remember why Potemayo seemed familar.
aLbu9.jpg
j2U3U.png

Fluffy underpants are all the rage. I should go finish the specials now.

Specials!?

zeroshiki said:
You can watch Fumoffu with no knowledge of the greater FMP world. I know someone who was surprised to find out that there were 2 other FMP series and that they were action series.

Just get the basic premise, battle hardened teenager Sousuke is forced to protect and go to school with tsundere Chidori. Hijinks follow. There.

Not this shit again, she's not a tsundere damnit.

Sebulon3k said:
Good ole Mezzo Forte

What are you doing to the poor man!? It's Mezzo DSA, Mezzo Forte is the hentai though i'd still reccomend it for the kick ass action scenes.

Uchip

Banned
Steroyd said:
Not this shit again, she's not a tsundere damnit.

nothing annoys me more than people labelling characters as tsundere etc
way to cheapen everything with your crazy japanese idioms :(

Haly

Hey look it's Shutaro!

im93w8.png

Rape is bad, kids, don't do it!

They're not bad people. They just enjoy seeing people get upset.
Aye, we call them misanthropes. Or trolls in the modern vernacular! (a.k.a bad people)

Swag

Steroyd said:
What are you doing to the poor man!? It's Mezzo DSA, Mezzo Forte is the hentai though i'd still reccomend it for the kick ass action scenes.
They all looked the same to me!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Revolutionary girl utena 13 - A recap episode that doesn't actually feel like a waste of time to watch? glad i followed the suggestion not to skip this. Plus seeing the duels with the awesome music again was nice, I seriously can't get enough of the duels in the series, despite how predictable and repetitive they are so far.. Anyhow guess i am done with the first "arc" of the series, time to proceed to the second!

Steroyd

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 01

Girl wanting to be a prince? Swordfighting? Epic light opera background music? Could my watching list get any bigger?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
The next clip show, which I believe is episode 24, is entirely skippable and not really all that amusing unless you really enjoy seeing Nanami being stalked from afar. 33, however, is absolutely crucial and not to be skipped under any circumstances. Have fun!
NO! DON'T SKIP ANYTHING!

Heathens.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
RightStuf should release their DVD sets faster so I can get on this Utena action!

Maintaining a female voice is hard. >: Singing these ClariS songs and a couple of the songs from the Nier OST are helping my voice not crack as much though.

tiff said:
Or girls.
Those too, Futa's are great.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The next clip show, which I believe is episode 24, is entirely skippable and not really all that amusing unless you really enjoy seeing Nanami being stalked from afar.
Anything revolving around nanami = awesome. So i definitely won't be skipping it.:p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
So they're doing a live-action adaptation of Arakawa... and also a movie. Did anyone even watch that show?
I'm so confused... I mean, they had live action segments at the end of each episode, and they looked purposefully silly... but they're actually going to put a guy in a kappa suit and try to do it seriously?

Oh wow, I have no idea if the Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi OVA was meant to be parody or not because it did the
it was all a dream
thing.

But most of it was classic shoujo trappings where the girl happened to be a boy:
L22ki.jpg

Heck, the uke even talks to himself for 90% of the OVA because that's just what shoujo heroines do... and he even cries at one point, Sawako style.

Still, I'm assuming the real show itself will look nothing like that though. :lol

Edit: I might be turning into 7th. The OVA looks decidedly "cheap" when it comes to the animation. But that might be because I'm coming straight off of Kimi ni Todoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom