• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
luka said:
kimi ni todoke is the best anime this season, and japan agrees with me. discuss.

zxF2wl.jpg
I agree with Japan, but it's Spring now and apparently Kaiji takes it's slot so straight winning on that timeslot.

Steroyd

Wandering Son - 11

Still couldn't read Doi, tells Anna how it is, and acceptance, what the... a satisfying conclusion to a series that doesn't troll me with READ THE MANGA syndrome. O_O

Jex

luka said:
kimi ni todoke is the best anime this season, and japan agrees with me. discuss.
The people with bad taste already made the manga very popular (just kidding, you can actually read that an acceptable speed!), I guess it's crossed mediums.
cosmicblizzard said:
Zombies at 9? :(

Wandering Son not even in the top 10. Wow.
Speaking of poor taste.

Wiktor

Ore​ No​ Imouto​13 - It's bloody amazing how much this show improves when Kirino isn't around

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
The people with bad taste already made the manga very popular (just kidding, you can actually read that an acceptable speed!), I guess it's crossed mediums.

Bow down to the PS3's awesome video skipping feature that can turn Kimi Ni Todoke into a slideshow of every 15 seconds.

I may put the whole season on there and see if I can speed through it as an experiment.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Delicious hater tears are delicious.
But are there any real haters out there?

Or even any 'haters' of anything in this thread? Apart from K-On! of course.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
New Crunchyroll streams for the OP:
The World God only Knows
Sekai-ichi Hatsukio
Battle Girls-Time Paradox (Sengoku Otome)

Wonder why they translate one title but not the other?

iavi

Saiyar said:
New Crunchyroll streams for the OP:
The World God only Knows

And the one that I've been waiting for has been announced! Between the probable Hulu, and Crunchyroll, streams got this season covered.

Just finished Hourou Musuko 1. The art style was surprising, but a nice choice. I think it works really well.

It's been well over a year since I last read the manga, so I could have things mixed up, but it feels like they're really jumping into the middle of the story with this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
So...you like to drink your own tears?
Hrm. I suppose I don't hate K-On! enough to get all worked up about it like some people. I'm sure my Kuragehime tears are delicious though.

Master Milk said:
Just finished Hourou Musuko 1. The art style was surprising, but a nice choice. I think it works really well.

It's been well over a year since I last read the manga, so I could have things mixed up, but it feels like they're really jumping into the middle of the story with this.
They are. They skipped to the middle of the story.

Dina said:
What's Kimi ni Todoke about?
Elevator pitch: it's a shoujo romance without the crappiness of the a heroine who needs to constantly be saved by the smarter and stronger male lead.

Jex

Dina said:
It's like, a romance about a boy and a girl. Yet, apparently it's not. And the boy and the girl aren't like, traditional shoujo (referring to manga works aimed at girls) main characters. Which would allow them to avoid those classic tropes. Except they won't because they have this slow romance that isn't the centre of the plot even if many scenes revolve around it. Unless it is. Which it isn't because it's really about connecting with others and coming out of your shell, hence the title 'Reaching You' except they also like to not reach because the plot has to go on for a few more episodes, even though it really shouldn't, but it's popular, so you also need to have a romance which doesn't go anywhere because then it would reach and the show would be over. Except it wouldn't, because that's maybe not what it's really about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
It's like, a romance about a boy and a girl. Yet, apparently it's not. And the boy and the girl aren't like, traditional shoujo (referring to manga works aimed at girls) main characters. Which would allow them to avoid those classic tropes. Except they won't because they have this slow romance that isn't the centre of the plot even if many scenes revolve around it. Unless it is. Which it isn't because it's really about connecting with others and coming out of your shell, hence the title 'Reaching You' except they also like to not reach because the plot has to go on for a few more episodes, even though it really shouldn't, but it's popular, so you also need to have a romance which doesn't go anywhere because then it would reach and the show would be over. Except it wouldn't, because that's maybe not what it's really about.
Mmm, tears. :p

--

The ending of Hourou Musuko was fine, in the same way that the ending of Aoi Hana was fine as a non-ending. I do wonder about the politics of Shimura's constant use of theatre though, insomuch as it might imply that gender and sexuality are roles to be put on rather than fundamental aspects of identity. It just comes up way too much for it to just be someone trying to recapture or reproduce high school experiences.

(Especially since one of the main characters in Aoi Hana turns out to be "fake"-gay).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jexhius said:
Dude if I wanted to watch all that crap I would watch nodame.

OP needs to update the "Streaming on" parts:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup

I'm translating Deadman Wonderland! I am psyched. Gonna be a nice change from doing Mitsudomoe. Plus now we're going get credited on show pages, so the greater mookdom will hopefully update my ANN page for me.

Sign your asses up on Crunchyroll and strap in.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
As someone who reads a number of blogs and also follows a small (put active) number of anime-related twitter feeds, I never see any of the stuff you mention until you bring it up. Where do you get all your stuff from?
Well, from searching through many places, nothing special, really. More than blogs, for several years I have been visiting different (some very old) Italian, Spanish, French and American BBS's, IRC's and forums about animation (Japanese animation, French/Belgian animation, British animation, you name it) that are dedicated to a very particular theme, usually about technical aspects of the animation process, a specific genre of animation or a concrete studio and its works; for example Japanese key animators and its 'sakuga' fans, Japanese 'mecha' fans or supporters of GAiNAX.

In the case of GAiNAX.FR, I have been visiting the website since it was called Otaku no GAiNAX (before the creation of its dedicated forum) and I know about its founder Otaking since some time ago.

Lately, twitter has been a very good source of information from people within the animation industry itself. Recently, manuloz posted in the news section of his [Manganimation.net] website the first part of a compilation of twitter accounts from some of the most important names in Japanese animation. Very useful:

http://www.manganimation.net/news/2...ites-travaillant-lanimation-japonaise-part-1/

Also, I'd really like to contribute more to this thread discussions and do other things apart from posting some information or asking some basic questions, but I still don't have enough confidence in my English and don't know an adequate vocabulary to express my opinion correctly. Excuse me for this, I'll try to improve it!

Steroyd

Dina said:

A girl likes a boy, we find out that boy also likes girl, everyone tries to help them by not helping them, throw in a rival and some misunderstandings and hey presto Kimi ni Todoke.

Or was it about a girl called Sawako who looks like the chick from The Ring and everyone is apprehensive about her, I tend to forget.

Risette

A Good Citizen
HisshouBuraiKen said:

I'm translating Deadman Wonderland! I am psyched. Gonna be a nice change from doing Mitsudomoe. Plus now we're going get credited on show pages, so the greater mookdom will hopefully update my ANN page for me.

You're part of MX Media? You guys do great subs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HisshouBuraiKen said:

Oh wow, so did you guys do the squidtastic squidlation of Squid Girl? :lol

Aigis said:
You're part of MX Media? You guys do great subs.

Yes sir I am, and thank you :) Used to be in Dattebayo too (we weren't actually seized by ICE but it is pretty much dead, as is fansubbing in general nowadays). Contrary to popular belief, IRL everyone in DB is really cool and not at all a bunch of assholes who would troll the shit out of you at a moment's notice.

firehawk12 said:
Oh wow, so did you guys do the squidtastic squidlation of Squid Girl? :lol

Haha, just think about it like it was the Smurfs and suddenly it's a lot more tolerable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HisshouBuraiKen said:
Haha, just think about it like it was the Smurfs and suddenly it's a lot more tolerable.
Hah, well, there's that. :p

Can I ask though - and I mean no offence - is there a mandate to do that type of localization or is that in office humour? The inner weaboo in me needs to know. :lol

---

So I was looking up Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi and discovered Kimi to Boku:
pC6bX.jpg

So it looks like my request for a "K-On! but with boys" was answered. I can't imagine this going over well, unless it's pander bait like Hetelia. Still, should be an interesting antidote at least.

duckroll

HisshouBuraiKen said:

Out of curiosity, are you allowed to say if the earthquake references in DMW have been removed in the anime due to recent events? If you can't talk about it before it airs, that's fine too. :)

duckroll said:
Out of curiosity, are you allowed to say if the earthquake references in DMW have been removed in the anime due to recent events? If you can't talk about it before it airs, that's fine too. :)

Couldn't tell ya even if I knew.

My personal guess is that they will stay in, as the eps have probably been written and recorded for a while, and it would be a huge clusterfuck for them to go back and redo all the writing, recording animation etc to replace whatever was cut.

iavi

I'm about to watch "Kite." Figured that I'd start with it since the showing in that gif is said to be its "spiritual successor"

It's wiki says it's highly controversial. I'll see about that one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
HisshouBuraiKen said:

Updated, and Hoshizora e Kakeru Hashi has the image from the Navel VN anime on your listings.

/XX/ said:
Well, from searching through many places, nothing special, really. More than blogs, for several years I have been visiting different (some very old) Italian, Spanish, French and American BBS's, IRC's and forums about animation (Japanese animation, French/Belgian animation, British animation, you name it) that are dedicated to a very particular theme, usually about technical aspects of the animation process, a specific genre of animation or a concrete studio and its works; for example Japanese key animators and its 'sakuga' fans, Japanese 'mecha' fans or supporters of GAiNAX.

In the case of GAiNAX.FR, I have been visiting the website since it was called Otaku no GAiNAX (before the creation of its dedicated forum) and I know about its founder Otaking since some time ago.

Lately, twitter has been a very good source of information from people within the animation industry itself. Recently, manuloz posted in the news section of his [Manganimation.net] website the first part of a compilation of twitter accounts from some of the most important names in Japanese animation. Very useful:

http://www.manganimation.net/news/2...ites-travaillant-lanimation-japonaise-part-1/

Also, I'd really like to contribute more to this thread discussions and do other things apart from posting some information or asking some basic questions, but I still don't have enough confidence in my English and don't know an adequate vocabulary to express my opinion correctly. Excuse me for this, I'll try to improve it!

Its pretty good imo so don't worry about it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
Don't worry about it; your English is great!

Go_Ly_Dow

Wandering Son Finale

Satisfying, yet simple conclusion. I'll definitely miss it.

The Japan rankings list for it, is very disappointing.

Jex

/XX/ said:
Well, you seem to be writing as well if not better than many native speakers so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Unless all your posts take one hour to write!

Geneijin

Edit: Infinite Stratos - 12
Holy hell. Where was this 11 episodes ago?

Should have been like this since the beginning, terrible story notwithstanding.

IWBVu.jpg

/XX/ said:
Your English is quite solid, so I wouldn't really worry about it. It's above average at least.

Your writing sort of resembles my academic writing style actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom