• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Izayoi said:
rByri.jpg
This shit is so real.

flawfuls

Jexhius said:
I couldn't survive more than about eleven episodes.

I cannot understand why this series is so well liked. It's typical repetitive, misunderstanding driven anime romcom BS. It could have been good if they actually moved forward with the story ever, but they don't. I guess that appeals to people somehow, I mean people also like Love Hina and
the first half of Maison Ikkoku.

Cwarrior said:
Kimagure Orange Road ep1-5

What bunch of incredibly annoying characters, I can stand one or maybe even two but all of them that’s just too much.

Decide to watch this cause I remember watching bit and pieces as kid but all I remember is the opening nothing else (should stayed that way)
That's a shame. I thought Kimagure Orange Road was on the whole a well-done story; it's probably my favorite love triangle in anime.

flawfuls said:
I cannot understand why this series is so well liked. It's typical repetitive, misunderstanding driven anime romcom BS. It could have been good if they actually moved forward with the story ever, but they don't. I guess that appeals to people somehow, I mean people also like Love Hina and
the first half of Maison Ikkoku.

Haven't seen the first movie yet, have you?

duckroll

I wonder what ufotable is afraid of with regards to Fate/Zero. To date they have not announced who is actually writing for the anime. If Gen Butch is writing it, they would have announced this months ago. But to this day he remains credited for the original novels, but there is no staff credit for a writer or series editor. WARNING FLAGS! :D

jman2050

duckroll said:
I wonder what ufotable is afraid of with regards to Fate/Zero. To date they have not announced who is actually writing for the anime. If Gen Butch is writing it, they would have announced this months ago. But to this day he remains credited for the original novels, but there is no staff credit for a writer or series editor. WARNING FLAGS! :D

Maybe Gen is too busy swimming in piles of
Aniplex's
money to be concerned with it.

flawfuls

hosannainexcelsis said:
That's a shame. I thought Kimagure Orange Road was on the whole a well-done story; it's probably my favorite love triangle in anime.

Haven't seen the first movie yet, have you?

Okay it goes somewhere eventually at the end, but the majority of it is pointless as far as the plot is concerned.

Jex

Steins;Gate 5

I'm still enjoying this anime, both the characters and the overall plot are providing me with a decent amount of entertainment.

However, the production side is still weak and amateurish. The cinematography is especially weak.

Dynedom

Moshidora 01-06: First, no, I did not watch 6 episodes in one day. Spread it over 2, haha.

Really liking it. I'm always a sucker for sports stories but haven't gotten into too many within anime. Anyway, looks like I have another weekly anime to watch. Characters are a little flat but I guess things will change with time.

Edit: In other news, finally watching my copy of Summer Wars tonight. Woo!

flawfuls

Dynedom said:
Moshidora 01-06: First, no, I did not watch 6 episodes in one day. Spread it over 2, haha.

Really liking it. I'm always a sucker for sports stories but haven't gotten into too many within anime. Anyway, looks like I have another weekly anime to watch. Characters are a little flat but I guess things will change with time.!

Not weekly, daily and there are only four more episodes. It will be done on Friday.

Dynedom

flawfuls said:
Not weekly, daily and there are only four more episodes. It will be done on Friday.

Haha. I didn't notice that. Probably should have paid more attention to the dates on AnimeSeason...

flawfuls said:
Okay it goes somewhere eventually at the end, but the majority of it is pointless as far as the plot is concerned.
Honestly, I just skipped a bunch of episodes in the middle of the series and jumped straight to the last two episodes and the movie. That's what I'd recommend to anyone watching it.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Honestly, I just skipped a bunch of episodes in the middle of the series and jumped straight to the last two episodes and the movie. That's what I'd recommend to anyone watching it.
It's pretty hard to call something a well done story, on the whole, if you skipped like the middle of the series!

Jexhius said:
It's pretty hard to call something a well done story, on the whole, if you skipped like the middle of the series!
I don't consider filler part of the story!

And it's not as if the middle of the series is bad, it's just uneven wacky hijinks as compared to the A+ love story of the first few episodes, last two, and the first movie.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
firehawk12 said:
Huh, Natsume Ono is in town and I managed to snag a ticket to the QA. Happy coincidence, I think. :lol:

I'm going to the NY event that she's attending on Tuesday :3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nonoriri said:
I'm going to the NY event that she's attending on Tuesday :3
Hah, she must be on a tour. Deb Aoki is interviewing her for her Q&A here.

Now I need to rush off and buy a copy of Ristorante Paradiso to get signed like the autograph whore that I am. Maybe I should read it too. :lol:

shahkur

Hanasaku Iroha 1-3

Dont know what to say. Quite enjoyable I guess, but I'm hoping for more of a serious tone, some more drama. Though the characters are very likeable. I still cant believe they let the book author guy still stay at the inn, with all the shit he did. Oh well, looking forward to more.

Articalys

I like to know the translated title of J-rock songs I listen to, but I haven't been able to find anything definite for 星のすみか (Hoshi no Sumika). The best I can figure is that it means "Den of Stars"; is that anywhere close to being correct?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Articalys said:
I like to know the translated title of J-rock songs I listen to, but I haven't been able to find anything definite for 星のすみか (Hoshi no Sumika). The best I can figure is that it means "Den of Stars"; is that anywhere close to being correct?
An alternate definition of Sumika could be "shelter". Some things are lost in translation because of our cultural associations with certain words like "den" in our post-middle class era. When you hear den you think of "living room" or "study" and not necessarily a shelter for animals like a "den of wolves". In this instance it would be closer to "Shelter of Stars" or more liberally "Under Cover of Stars" or "Under Shelter of Stars" or "The Roof of Stars". Really, I'd have to know a bit more about Japanese cultural language value to give you something better (which I don't), but "Shelter of Stars" seems most accurate to me, invoking the idea of being protected or sheltered by the night sky.

Anyway, I got my replacement box of the Kino's journey box set. It's now in a single DVD case (as anime SHOULD be released imo) instead of the box with the thin-pack DVDs. Kinda wish they had an external episode listing though... Well, no matter. I'm gonna watch through it again later today. SO great~

EDIT:
Also, because I missed its reign of terror, I dug up the big Pohana picture earlier in the thread.
ruug3.png

Oh God, it's terrifying...

Articalys

Oh my god I don't think I've laughed so hard in weeks. That's amazing, though I've always found those "flat gaze" reaction shots funny.

Thanks for the TL notes and also the inadvertent reminder that I need to add Kino no Tabi to my "to watch" list.

hellclerk

Articalys said:
Oh my god I don't think I've laughed so hard in weeks. That's amazing, though I've always found those "flat gaze" reaction shots funny.

Thanks for the TL notes and also the inadvertent reminder that I need to add Kino no Tabi to my "to watch" list.
No problem. Language is very interesting to me because you can't really JUST translate the words, you need to translate the intent. I just don't have the time and energy to study languages as I'd probably want to. ;__;

Anyway, I wonder if there's a Kino no Tabi Blu Ray out or in the works. The show's already in 16:9. I'd like to see it in HD is possible. Hell, I don't even own a Blu Ray player and I'd buy the Blu Ray.

Geneijin

AnoHana spoilers
A Black Falcon said:
Also, so Menma's ghost is corporeal and can do things like make muffins and play Game Boy? I wonder what that would look like for someone other than Jinta watching, would there be floating objects and stuff? :)
Let's go with the image of floating objects.

It's also kind of funny how she claims to be herself and not her ghost, um, you are the ghost... and she knows she's dead so it's not that. Just being silly I guess?
Being silly. Although if you want to go into speculation territory with me, you could say she's a spirit now and not a ghost. And yes, it's another distinction and defines what Menma is better than a ghost. It's why you could say it's not unusual Menma wants to see her own ghost if you think of her ghost as being an afterimage of her or an imprinted recording of a piece of her personality or memory.

As for Yukiatsu... um, buying scrunchies or something now? What for, to up your impersonation?
Absolutely.

And Anaru, you want someone to get on your case for being too willing to follow the crowd/your not so great friends? so you're saying you appreciate Tsuruko saying those things, because it showed that she cared? Great. While that is probably partially true, there are better ways of showing such care than what she said to you in ep. 2...
Of course, but would it have the same effect if Tsuruko scolded her in a different tone? Would the impression have been as strong if she didn't? That's why I was fine with her chiding Anaru as she did, even if Tsuruko presented herself as the jerk by doing so.

Also, as for Menma's other ghost which Poppo saw, good eye, person who got a screenshot showing what it actually is... that's not surprising, it didn't look quite like her ghost so even without that I'd be unsure that that actually was her. Knowing that does change the last scene though, where he claims to have seen her... even though without that we already know that as far as we know he hadn't seen her, if what that image suggested is true his statement is even less honest than that (working with them while you con them too, or something, Yukiatsu, to make them think she's back for sure?) I wonder what his game is though... what's he going to do next?
As almost everyone is saying, jealousy. They've been building on his jealousy/rivalry towards Jinta since Episode 1. From Yukiatsu pushing for Jinta to answer Anaru's question about his feelings for Menma to Yukiatsu being agitated from hearing Poppo talk about Jinta's hallucination, it's been there if you want to interpret his actions as such. Think of why Senjougahara from Bakemonogatari lies to Araragi that she could see Hachikuji. They're similar reasons.

That Menma's too much of an airhead to question him at all about it (to Jinta I mean), though, is a little odd. But oh well.
She believed Menma would have wanted to see her own ghost. Why would she? AnoHana preempt the questioning from happening truthfully.

Yeah, he's enjoying life, but my point is, why did he end up that way? Maybe he was going to be that way anyway, but maybe not. We don't know enough yet to say. They may not go there, but they might, we'll have to see.
They might not ever offer a reason to Poppo's emergence when this series ends. At best, we can simply assume that he has moved on and he was the least affected by her death.

Menma's family reunion scene was kind of touching, yeah... but still, no, I don't think that's a good enough reason to not spoil that she's dead. It's the whole point of the show after all, that she died. Talking about a show without mentioning the thing that makes it what it is... it's hard to say much of anything about something without doing that.
To each their own. Still, that scene shouldn't be spoiled at least so I will spoiler that.

Of course though, ep. 3 adds the new plot of creepy Yukiatsu messing with the others, pretending to be Menma, lying about seeing her, etc... what IS his goal... but I said that in my post about ep. 3.
There's a small chance of this happening but you know I'll be fucking flabbergasted if AnoHana is setting this all up as
a ploy by Yukiatsu to troll Jinta or ridicule him even further. And it will still be within Yukiatsu's character to do so because he's damn jealous.
I'll love AnoHana if they could pull that off.

Wait, you think that Jinta fell on his own, in ep. 3? It looked to me like she knocked him down for sure... it'd be interesting if she didn't though, and indeed can't manipulate him. But she can manipulate things sometimes, like when she plays GBA or when she's cooking, so she can touch things sometimes... the question that the show seems to me to not be entirely clear on is when she can and when she can't.
Lost his balance as Menma let go of her grip on Jinta. Then she jumped on Jinta to stop him. She never knocked him down. And if you believe this is how the scene progressed, then you can agree with me that as far as Menma's ability to interact with physically touching people goes, it's been consistent since she hugged Anaru in Episode 1 and she being unable to pull Anaru and Tsuruko apart in Episode 2. As for her moving physical objects like bowls or opening flour bags, she basically is free to do as she pleases with physical objects. I say what Menma can do has been consistent so far unless you believe what she can do to physical objects should also apply to how she can interact with people.

ezvic.gif

Lain said:
Maybe so, but so far, to me, she just looks like a stupid girl that hangs out with cheap, easy girls while still having a crush on Jinta but treating him badly in front of others because of appearances and when they are alone because of shyness.
At worse, she hasn't stood up for him, which is still bad but not as bad as keeping up a facade in front of everyone and allowing it, which she hasn't been portrayed as doing so yet. Not once has she committed to slandering Jinta this series. Is it the same as letting others treat him badly? It depends how you feel about that honestly. I wouldn't necessarily blame her, but I won't excuse her either.

Her depression doesn't give her an excuse her actions, but she isn't stupid. Of course, she made a stupid decision with choosing to hang out with a bad group, but look at how they've portrayed Anaru so far. She's easily follows others but she isn't as easily influenced by them as she claims. Her outward appearance might have changed significantly over the years, yet her personality is more or less the same as she was before then as demonstrated in Episode 2. It's what AnoHana has shown us of Anaru so far.

I don't recall a moment seeing Anaru treating Jinta badly when they're alone or in a private setting personally.

hellclerk

Trent Strong said:
I'll check it out. Thanks.

I...don't know what that is, but I'll google it.
It's the meh gag spin-off series they finished the first FMP season. I really have to rewatch FMP sometime though. I'd like to get into Second Raid...

Uchip

Banned
doomed1 said:
It's the meh gag spin-off series they finished the first FMP season. I really have to rewatch FMP sometime though. I'd like to get into Second Raid...

second raid is good
and pissed me off that they just stopped it there

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
doomed1 said:
This is such a wrong... WRONG opinion.

Fumoffu is the best part of the FMP franchise, objective fact!

doomed1 said:

This word belongs nowhere near the comedy genius that is Fumoffu. I'd rate the FMP seasons: Fumoffu > TSR > FMP!

trejo

Oh man, here's another one for animegaf bingo.

Fumoffu is the only worthwhile entry in the franchise. [Amir0x]And this isn't opinion. It's a fact.[/Amir0x]

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
This is such a wrong... WRONG opinion.

Fumoffu is the best part of the FMP franchise, objective fact!

I actually beg to differ
The comedy gags in the main story work better as they are contrasted with very serious (and dark) situations
Fumoffu was constantly in your face and unless you watched it in short bursts... kind of loses its appeal

jman2050

doomed1 said:

How wrong can one person be in one thread?

hellclerk

Alright, I'll admit FUMOFFU is good, but after watching Full Metal Panic! with the TACTICOOL action (I'm a sucker for it) and a not-whiny male protagonist, it felt like a letdown. It's funny, it just didn't fit the positive image I had for the original series. If it had any other name on it I would have likely laughed, but it didn't. It's not that FUMOFFU was meh by itself, it's just that after watching FMP, all I could say was "meh".

And I see that some of you only like FUMOFFU when it comes to the FMP franchise, so whatever, you're not going to agree with me anyway. :p

Geneijin

A meh experience but you consider it good? I'm fine with that. But if you thought it was a meh comedy though? Eh, we might have had to discuss some things.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Uchip said:
I actually beg to differ
The comedy gags in the main story work better as they are contrasted with very serious (and dark) situations
Fumoffu was constantly in your face and unless you watched it in short bursts... kind of loses its appeal

It never really worked in the original FMP though because the srs business shit was so damn boring. And TSR was 90% srs business, so it never really contrasted with the comedic moments.

So basically the series works best, when they have a clear focus on one aspect of the series! i do prefer the comedy portion greatly though, even with TSR being pretty damn good.

hellclerk

Geneijin said:
A meh experience but you consider it good? I'm fine with that. But if you thought it was a meh comedy though? Eh, we might have had to discuss some things.
No, the comedy wasn't meh, it's just that whenever they cracked a joke I kinda felt like "did that whole thing with the robots and almost dying and shit not happen or something?" I watched them one right after the other though, so the mood dissonance hit me pretty hard. Yeah, it's silly, and under any other name I would have found it hilarious. The context of FMP and FUMOFFU just seemed really off to me is all...

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
No, the comedy wasn't meh, it's just that whenever they cracked a joke I kinda felt like "did that whole thing with the robots and almost dying and shit not happen or something?" I watched them one right after the other though, so the mood dissonance hit me pretty hard. Yeah, it's silly, and under any other name I would have found it hilarious. The context of FMP and FUMOFFU just seemed really off to me is all...
I can understand that entirely. The inverse happens more often though for FMP. Those who've watched Fumoffu first trying to watch the first season. Same experience. Same disappointment or dissonance.

I just seldom see that inverse happening.

doomed1 said:

Then you'll love The Second Raid.

That goofiness and mood dissonance was there from the beginning of FMP, though. Focusing on one element out of the dual nature of FMP worked out for better shows in my opinion. Just think of it as alternate worlds if you really can't stand the contrast.

Articalys

Out of curiosity, how do the three series line up as far as adapting the events from the novels? And how much is there still to cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom