• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
It never really worked in the original FMP though because the srs business shit was so damn boring. And TSR was 90% srs business, so it never really contrasted with the comedic moments.

So basically the series works best, when they have a clear focus on one aspect of the series! i do prefer the comedy portion greatly though, even with TSR being pretty damn good.

thats just like
your opinion, man

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Articalys said:
Out of curiosity, how do the three series line up as far as adapting the events from the novels? And how much is there still to cover?
First season covers the first three novels with random short stories in between, fumoffu is nothing but adaptations of short stories set in the FMP universe, and the TSR covers the forth and fifth novel.

There are 7 novels left to adapt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
First season covers the first three novels with random short stories in between, fumoffu is nothing but adaptations of short stories set in the FMP universe, and the TSR covers the forth and fifth novel.

And, according to mac I think, those novels have turned into shit?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
And, according to mac I think, those novels have turned into shit?
Eh, from what I've read i think if fans liked TSR, they'll love where the rest of the series goes. As it really doesn't feel that different in tone from that, just darker and more epic i suppose.

Now people who liked the comedy of the series will be shit out of luck, as there is 0 comedy in the books past dancing merry christmas.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Lafiel said:

That's nothing. Kino's Journey covers the first novel and part of the second. As of the airing of the anime, in 2003, there were SEVEN volumes. As of October of last year, there are now fourteen volumes. The series hasn't moved past the first 13 episode season in the anime and the now defunct Tokyo-pop only ever released one volume (which they stopped printing not long after). It saddens me to no end, especially considering how accessible of a young adult fantasy series it is. If I ever achieve my dream of owning and running a multi-media production company, we're DEFINITELY localizing Kino no Tabi...

Still, ALL MY RAGE ;_________;

Lain

Geneijin said:
At worse, she hasn't stood up for him, which is still bad but not as bad as keeping up a facade in front of everyone and allowing it, which she hasn't been portrayed as doing so yet. Not once has she committed to slandering Jinta this series. Is it the same as letting others treat him badly? It depends how you feel about that honestly. I wouldn't necessarily blame her, but I won't excuse her either.

Her depression doesn't give her an excuse her actions, but she isn't stupid. Of course, she made a stupid decision with choosing to hang out with a bad group, but look at how they've portrayed Anaru so far. She's easily follows others but she isn't as easily influenced by them as she claims. Her outward appearance might have changed significantly over the years, yet her personality is more or less the same as she was before then as demonstrated in Episode 2. It's what AnoHana has shown us of Anaru so far.

I don't recall a moment seeing Anaru treating Jinta badly when they're alone or in a private setting personally.
Treating him badly for me is the simple telling him that no one gave a fuck about him coming to school (or something similar, don't remember exactly what she said to him when she brought stuff) at the start of episode 1 (this is the alone I meant), or she saying who the hell would care about someone like him in episode 3 when he goes to school (because of the promise with her) and she's so embarrassed to show she do care about him in front of her oh so cool friends.
At the WcDonalds, when the girls are slandering him, she says nothing good about him, she doesn't say anything bad either, but she sorts of agrees (and she is bitchslapped verbally by Acid girl for that kind of behavior and friends, which I liked). That is what I consider her stupidity. She is too concerned with appearance and keeping up the "image" she has made of herself with the cheap crowd of girlfriends she's got herself.

As far as not being easily influenced, I sort of disagree. I mean, she changes her ways based on who she has around her. With the old friends, she feels she can show she cares about games, manga, Jinta etc, with her in friends she has to be cool and not caring about those lame people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Eh, from what I've read i think if fans liked TSR, they'll love where the rest of the series goes. As it really doesn't feel that different in tone from that, just darker and more epic i suppose.

Now people who liked the comedy of the series will be shit out of luck, as there is 0 comedy in the books past dancing merry christmas.
Yeah, I think that's what bothered him the most. It's all dark by the end.

trejo

Miyu TV 3-4

Damn, is every episode gonna end on a downer? Still, it's nice to see that Miyu does give a shit from time to time.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
It's the meh gag spin-off series they finished the first FMP season. I really have to rewatch FMP sometime though. I'd like to get into Second Raid...

POW.gif

Damn you, for making this post and clarifying while I was asleep, a missed the opportunity to legitimately use this gif. >_<

Ah well I posted it so :p, back to sleep, goodnight. -_-

Geneijin

Lain said:
Treating him badly for me is the simple telling him that no one gave a fuck about him coming to school (or something similar, don't remember exactly what she said to him when she brought stuff) at the start of episode 1 (this is the alone I meant)
She didn't say no one cared about him. She said she didn't really care if he chose to go to school or not and followed that up with saying he should be ashamed with himself or something like that. I don't find that as her treating him badly. Yeah, she was being critical of him when she said that, yet she also delivered his homework to his house personally, which contradicts what her real intentions were. If she publicly ridiculed him with everyone else, then yeah, I say she was treating him badly, but she hasn't done anything this series for me to warrant this claim.

or she saying who the hell would care about someone like him in episode 3 when he goes to school (because of the promise with her)
I guess our translations varied. She didn't said something like that before she stopped herself mid-sentence as she looked over at Jinta unless you think that is what she would have said had she finished her reply?

and she's so embarrassed to show she do care about him in front of her oh so cool friends.
Yep.

At the WcDonalds, when the girls are slandering him, she says nothing good about him, she doesn't say anything bad either, but she sorts of agrees (and she is bitchslapped verbally by Acid girl for that kind of behavior and friends, which I liked). That is what I consider her stupidity. She is too concerned with appearance and keeping up the "image" she has made of herself with the cheap crowd of girlfriends she's got herself.
Which is separate and different from treating him badly. Keeping appearances doesn't automatically mean she condones the slander against Jinta. Peer pressure doesn't excuse actions, yet it also doesn't mean the individual agrees with the actions of the group morally even if he's following the group. And I say follow because if he were influenced by the group, wouldn't he be an even bigger hypocritical if he imitated those actions?

And what indicates she agrees with what they say? She hasn't said anything good nor bad about Jinta openly. Unless she explicitly does, I don't see nor have I interpreted her actions as indicating she agrees with what they have said of Jinta.

As far as not being easily influenced, I sort of disagree. I mean, she changes her ways based on who she has around her. With the old friends, she feels she can show she cares about games, manga, Jinta etc, with her in friends she has to be cool and not caring about those lame people.
She admittedly says she's easily influenced, but I don't think her actions don't communicate that truthfully. If she was, I would not have expected her personality to be mostly unchanged. Even Menma remarks how much Anaru has stayed mostly the same in Episode 2, and who else is a better judge of who has changed the most than Menma? The way I see it Anaru may have changed her outward appearance, which you could say she's easily influenced because of that, but why is her personality intact as it was before Menma's death? Shouldn't there be a discrepancy from then and now? It only seems to prove to me her current circle of friends is like alcohol. A temporary relief to her depression, which does nothing to reduce it. Her depression only stagnates or worsens arguably in Episode 2.

Lain

Geneijin said:
She didn't say no one cared about him. She said she didn't really care if he chose to go to school or not and followed that up with saying he should be ashamed with himself or something like that. I don't find that as her treating him badly. Yeah, she was being critical of him when she said that, yet she also delivered his homework to his house personally, which contradicts what her real intentions were. If she publicly ridiculed him with everyone else, then yeah, I say she was treating him badly, but she hasn't done anything this series for me to warrant this claim.
Granted, I don't remember what she did say exactly, just that she seemed annoyed to be there and that she acted, in front of him, as if she didn't care about him (she gave him the homework 2 days before the end of vacation, right?). Now, with the knowledge of the later episodes and her other actions, I find it a bad behavior toward a childhood friend that she somewhat had (and still seems to have) a kind of crush on. I say she treats him badly, but maybe I should say she isn't fair to him? I'm not sure.
I guess our translations varied. She didn't said something like that before she stopped herself mid-sentence as she looked over at Jinta unless you think that is what she would have said had she finished her reply?
Yes, she did stop mid sentence, but it looked more or less to me that her reply was going to be the "who would like/care about someone like him" type (kind of what Jinta did to Menma as kids). She realizes what she is about to say so she stops in the middle of it, but I can't help but see it that Anaru doesn't want to lose face with her friends or, well, the people she associates on a daily basis.
Which is separate and different from treating him badly. Keeping appearances doesn't automatically mean she condones the slander against Jinta. Peer pressure doesn't excuse actions, yet it also doesn't mean the individual agrees with the actions of the group morally even if he's following the group. And I say follow because if he were influenced by the group, wouldn't he be an even bigger hypocritical if he imitated those actions?

And what indicates she agrees with what they say? She hasn't said anything good nor bad about Jinta openly. Unless she explicitly does, I don't see nor have I interpreted her actions as indicating she agrees with what they have said of Jinta.
As I see it, if someone badmouths my childhood friend and I sit there saying nothing to stop them or just nod my head, I'm just as bad as the people doing the badmouthing. She's guilty of it just as much as them because of association and because she don't oppose it. The two things can't be separated in my eyes.
I started having a negative opinion of her exactly because of this. She doesn't join them in the badmouthing, but she doesn't stop them either. She goes out with the people badmouthing Jinta and says nothing, tells Jinta she'd want him to come to school at the end of episode 2, yet when he does and her friends are making fun of him, she doesn't stop them, she just gets embarrassed and starts to say something that to me is going to be a little bit nasty (which she stops in the middle of) because of appearances sake.
She admittedly says she's easily influenced, but I don't think her actions don't communicate that truthfully. If she was, I would not have expected her personality to be mostly unchanged. Even Menma remarks how much Anaru has stayed mostly the same in Episode 2, and who else is a better judge of who has changed the most than Menma? The way I see it Anaru may have changed her outward appearance, which you could say she's easily influenced because of that, but why is her personality intact as it was before Menma's death? Shouldn't there be a discrepancy from then and now? It only seems to prove to me her current circle of friends is like alcohol. A temporary relief to her depression, which does nothing to reduce it. Her depression only stagnates or worsens arguably in Episode 2.
Maybe what Menma says is true, Anaru hasn't changed inside (and the only change is in her looks), but if that is true, then I have an even harder time liking her, because it means that Anaru has always been a bit of a hypocrite.
The personality she has shown so far is a type I don't like too much, which is way Anaru can be the most developed character in the show and I still would think she sucks.

Jex

doomed1 said:
It's the meh gag spin-off series they finished the first FMP season. I really have to rewatch FMP sometime though. I'd like to get into Second Raid...
Oh wait, how did I miss this! You crazy.
doomed1 said:
Alright, I'll admit FUMOFFU is good, but after watching Full Metal Panic! with the TACTICOOL action (I'm a sucker for it) and a not-whiny male protagonist, it felt like a letdown. It's funny, it just didn't fit the positive image I had for the original series. If it had any other name on it I would have likely laughed, but it didn't. It's not that FUMOFFU was meh by itself, it's just that after watching FMP, all I could say was "meh".

And I see that some of you only like FUMOFFU when it comes to the FMP franchise, so whatever, you're not going to agree with me anyway. :p
I think you mean that FMP! was meh, and Fumoffu was pretty great. The original FMP! was silly too.

Lafiel said:

Where the novels go after TSR makes that series look like happiness and light in comparison, sort of...

Seriously though, I know it's been said, but the series goes pitch black shortly after TSR. I, and some other people, don't like that, and think that the series got worse at that point (or perhaps in TSR) because it was better when it took things a little less seriously; basically I think that the first season of the anime is ideal, and it should have stayed more like that. Have some drama, fine, but don't go anywhere near the overly depressing tragedy of the later parts of the series.

Read the novels or the FMP Sigma manga, you'll see what I mean. I will agree though, people who loved the darker parts of TSR might like the direction the series goes in... you'd have to ask them. IT gets even darker than TSR though, and I really dislike some of the plot elements
most notably that Kaname gets kidnapped and the next huge portion of the series (maybe the rest of it? I'm not sure) becomes a "our hero must defeat the ultimately powerful invincible enemies all on his own" thing... okay, Tessa and her sub survive, but he's not on it, he's alone.

Between that and the arc in that Southeast Asian village,
FMP Sigma completely drained almost all of my interest in the series away. And I liked the first anime series quite a bit, and Fumoffu and TSR a bit less as well.

trejo said:
Miyu TV 3-4

Damn, is every episode gonna end on a downer? Still, it's nice to see that Miyu does give a shit from time to time.
Miyu is not a show to watch to get happy endings, you don't need to watch much of it to figure that out for sure, yeah... it's quite good, but it's certainly pretty depressing.

Salazar

lol.

Shishiwakamaru, lying on the ground with blood trickling from his mouth:

"Y-your appearance...the way you are now...I might have fallen for you"

Articalys

ISML, Day 5
Finally, some real action! And lots of it too!

First, let's bring the Holo thing full circle. Crushed by Kanade, roughly 6000-2800. But those jokes about Russia were dead-on: they were one of only two areas (besides Central Europe) where she held the majority.

Also, there were not one, not two, but three matches decided on a razor's edge of less than 40 votes. Konata over Yami (To-Love Ru), Kuroko over that girl from the Black Rock Shooter OVA, and Hinagiku over Haruhi.

Finally, we had the first old-vs-new powerhouse matches. Azusa buried Kirino by about 1800 votes, but her senpai wasn't as lucky, with Yuri Nakamura defeating Yui Hirasawa 4484-4205. Additionally, Ruri "Kuroneko" Gokou defeats Taiga Aisaka 4511-4249, leaving Shana (who dismantled Saber by 1800 votes) as the only undefeated KugiLoli.

Oh right, the exhibition match. First, I just realized they seem to have a hair color theme going for these. Anyway, Miku Hatsune beats Sayaka Miki 6089-2291, amusingly enough winning by the greatest number of votes out of anyone for the day, proving once and for all that the world the universe the very fabric of reality itself hates Sayaka. (Madoka ending spoilers:
Although technically, considering who's part of that fabric after the ending, I guess it doesn't...
)

Lain

Articalys said:
Finally, we had the first old-vs-new powerhouse matches. Azusa buried Kirino by about 1800 votes, but her senpai wasn't as lucky, with Yuri Nakamura defeating Yui Hirasawa 4484-4205. Additionally, Ruri "Kuroneko" Gokou defeats Taiga Aisaka 4511-4249, leaving Shana (who dismantled Saber by 1800 votes) as the only undefeated KugiLoli.
Azusa won but Yui lost? Saber lost too?! I don't want to live in this world anymore... wait, no, I don't want those fuckers who let this happen to live on this world anymore, time to go set up the bomb!

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
ISML, Day 5
Finally, some real action! And lots of it too!

First, let's bring the Holo thing full circle. Crushed by Kanade, roughly 6000-2800. But those jokes about Russia were dead-on: they were one of only two areas (besides Central Europe) where she held the majority.

Also, there were not one, not two, but three matches decided on a razor's edge of less than 40 votes. Konata over Yami (To-Love Ru), Kuroko over that girl from the Black Rock Shooter OVA, and Hinagiku over Haruhi.

Oh right, the exhibition match. First, I just realized they seem to have a hair color theme going for these. Anyway, Miku Hatsune beats Sayaka Miki 6089-2291, amusingly enough winning by the greatest number of votes out of anyone for the day, proving once and for all that the world the universe the very fabric of reality itself hates Sayaka. (Madoka ending spoilers:
Although technically, considering who's part of that fabric after the ending, I guess it doesn't...
)

Wha the hell Haruhi lost? To Hinagiku?!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite stratos 1 - That was so generic and awful, I'm never going watch the rest of the this, unless i am forced to.

Rektash

Lafiel said:
Infinite stratos 1 - That was so generic and awful, I'm never going watch the rest of the this, unless i am forced to.

Looks like you WILL watch it.

Infinite Stratos 1: Elevator sax was rocking hard.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Infinite Stratos 1 - I'm posting with what little eyesight I have left after stabbing them with a pen. Don't know what I'm going to about the blood, but it's better than having sight for one more second.

mAcOdIn

tiff said:
I better not be Kuroneko in this pic.
doomed1 said:
I don't even watch it for Rie. I watch it because it's fucking hilarious, awesome, and badass. I was expecting bad tsunderes and gun porn going in, and by God I got it! What I didn't expect was what a deliciously brilliant camp the plot turned out to be. It's one of those So-Bad-It's-Good blood pumping action shows. Not quite as good with the style as stuff like Shoot 'Em Up, but this is a serial television show. I think they're doing a great job with their material and format.
doomed1 said:
Except that Shakagana no Shana is NOTHING like Hidan no Aria. The former is a relatively sane (if kind of inane) Tsundere magical girl meets MacGuffin boy. While Hidan no Aria is pretty much the same in terms of plot basis, it's totally insane. It does such over-the-top things with a stupid grin on its face with no apologies while back-flipping over explosions shooting two high caliber handguns with pinpoint accuracy. It is in no way realistic, smart, sane, inane, or good. But fuck me sideways if it isn't totally AWESOME. SnS by its tone, pacing, more muted character writing, and predominance of character drama told me to take it seriously. Aria has none of what SnS had. Aria has Hollywood Action Movie pacing, the tone of a show staring Jon Claud Van Damm, Wesley Snipes, Vin Diesel, AND Steven Seagal, extremes of character, and enough explosions to make Michael Bay blush.

Hidan no Aria is just plain dumb fun.
Where do you come up with this shit? Aria is total crap, the action in it is sparse, You're not going to get Van Damm spending an episode looking for a cat, and what action there is is beyond absurd. oh thank goodness for this bulletproof vaulting horse, shitty wooden box, and bulletproof uniform but they couldn't armor the fucking bus any? This shit is retarded. And they really did a poor job setting Aria up to be a bad ass when she looks like any loser that picked up some weapons with a short temper. Fuck everyone who works on this show. That would be my opinion if I had watched any of it.....

hamchan

Mahoutsukai:

I love this movie. I can't believe they never resolved the love triangle though. They also never revealed the final fate of Rukasu.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mahoutsukai - The megaton reveal was the greatest thing ever. And it had the best red-haired tsundere!

trejo

Mahoutsukai

Excellent movie. Best tsundere ever and the shotas weren't very annoying at all. Also, Rukasu is so bad.

Izayoi

Banned
A Channel 5. Aoi Yuuki will keep me watching this show. The undertones are definitely strong with this one. I don't even know if I would call them undertones at this point, or even overtones. More like in-your-face-tones.

Ao no Exorcist 3. Great, a high school. At least it's a cool high school, I guess.

[C] 3. Mashu. ;_; The MC better man up here real quick and put his baaawing behind him. Mashu deserves better.

Deadman Wonderland 4. The story slips further into incohesiveness, and Kanazawa is as adorable as always.

Hanasaku Iroha 5. So much tsuntsun. Where's my shy girl episode?

Nichijou 5. Ah, Mio, she carries the weight of meganekko lovers everywhere. Mai continues to be fucking hilarious. The whole show continues to be fucking hilarious. I want more.

Steins;Gate 5. Why are there so many good OPs this season? I love Christina, and fully endorse my Dr. Pepper drinking lab members. I want that fucking board game, too. "It's a JPEG, I can't copy-paste that!" I know that feeling all too well. ;_;

Tiger and Bunny 2, 3, 4, & 5. What a great show. It's actually rather touching, episode 4 in particular. All of the heroes are really likable (Sky High lol) as well. I love the technician who can't talk above a whisper, especially in episode 5. Thanks for correcting me on this one, guys.

I think that's it, then. Completely caught up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom