• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Geneijin said:
Maybe those watching haven't bothered to post about it or updated their progress on it here.
They're just hiding their shame!

Damn.

Toriko 4

Sure is an anime, that I'm enjoying.

Lain

AnoHana 3
Man, Jinta was really a little shit as a kid. First Menma, then his mom too? I'm surprised his father didn't turn into an alcoholic that beats him day and night!
Creepy dude must have a small dick, since he seems to feel the need to one up Jinta at every chance, and I'm feeling like he just lied at the end.
Acid girl is acid, and the ho keeps being a useless, skanky ho.
Menma and Poppo keep being the best characters of the show, Menma in cuteness, Poppo in manliness.

Articalys

Moshidora 7
lol, winning five games in a row through the mercy rule. Also taunting the pitcher through counting the runner's lead off base is a great troll move.
Definitely some sort of drama going on with the ill girl though.

This is basically every one of those Disney Channel high school sports movies rolled into one. Shallow, but enjoyable.

EDIT: n/m

zeroshiki

Lain said:
AnoHana 3
Man, Jinta was really a little shit as a kid. First Menma, then his mom too? I'm surprised his father didn't turn into an alcoholic that beats him day and night!
Creepy dude must have a small dick, since he seems to feel the need to one up Jinta at every chance, and I'm feeling like he just lied at the end.
Acid girl is acid, and the ho keeps being a useless, skanky ho.
Menma and Poppo keep being the best characters of the show, Menma in cuteness, Poppo in manliness.

Are you disrespecting Anaru? I somehow get the feeling you are but... you couldn't possibly be disrespecting the best character in the show.

Articalys

I have found a way to drain all your money:

Kaiji Figma! With zawa zawa sound effect accessory!

g70t0.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-05-03/kaiji-anime-figma-figure-coming-from-max-factory

Lain

zeroshiki said:
Are you disrespecting Anaru? I somehow get the feeling you are but... you couldn't possibly be disrespecting the best character in the show.
She's just a fake ho that tries to be the (bad) copy of superior girl Menma. It doesn't help that she likes to hang out with cheap sluts while acting as a 7 year olds when she's grown up already.
Menma > Analu. Hell, Acid Girl > Analu! At least she looks smart and quick witted, with a tongue to match!

Jex

Lain said:
She's just a fake ho that tries to be the (bad) copy of superior girl Menma. It doesn't help that she likes to hang out with cheap sluts while acting as a 7 year olds when she's grown up already.
Menma > Analu. Hell, Acid Girl > Analu! At least she looks smart and quick witted, with a tongue to match!
How dare you slander whatever her name actually is!

zeroshiki

Lain said:

Eh, she's quite possibly the most developed character on the show. All the rest are one trick ponies at this point.

Lain said:
AnoHana 3

His father may not be an alcoholic, but considering how out-of-touch he is with Jinta, and how apathetic he is about him attending school, it's safe to say they don't have the best of relationships.

Articalys said:
I have found a way to drain all your money:

Kaiji Figma! With zawa zawa sound effect accessory!

Oh man; I think this may be the first figure I buy. Can't resist the zawa.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
His father may not be an alcoholic, but considering how out-of-touch he is with Jinta, and how apathetic he is about him attending school, it's safe to say they don't have the best of relationships.
He's just decided he doesn't want to be one of those caring, clichéd fathers who shout at their sons when they don't go to school.
Hellsing321 said:
She looked good with it down. And apparently she'll be sporting a pony tail in the next one.
Moe +5

Lain

zeroshiki said:
Eh, she's quite possibly the most developed character on the show. All the rest are one trick ponies at this point.
Maybe so, but so far, to me, she just looks like a stupid girl that hangs out with cheap, easy girls while still having a crush on Jinta but treating him badly in front of others because of appearances and when they are alone because of shyness.
I quite find Menma to be a better character because of her cuteness and jovial innocence, which turns into sadness at the right time when certain memories are triggered. She is the ghost of what everyone else has lost growing up, well everyone except Poppo, which is why he is also the best character along with Menma.

Izayoi

Banned
jman2050 said:
zeroshiki said:
I will laugh maniacally if what Izayoi asks actually happens and its DEEN.

Hey, they did FSN, right?
Okay, maybe I lied a little.

Anyone who is better than JCStaff.

How about that.

I'm desperate for studios better than JCStaff.

Jexhius said:
I see this issue isn't very important, at all!
It really isn't. Holo is stupid, that's a fact. There's no issue here.

Jexhius said:
Hey now. It's a classy show!
Read my next few posts.

Dresden said:
anal has awful hair.
I agree.

Lain said:
Maybe so, but so far, to me, she just looks like a stupid girl that hangs out with cheap, easy girls while still having a crush on Jinta but treating him badly in front of others because of appearances and when they are alone because of shyness.
I quite find Menma to be a better character because of her cuteness and jovial innocence, which turns into sadness at the right time when certain memories are triggered. She is the ghost of what everyone else has lost growing up, well everyone except Poppo, which is why he is also the best character along with Menma.
Good man.

Menma and Poppo > *

So amazing, both of them.

Gosick 14 - Watch out, Kujo, he's dangerous...

Anyway, this was a good episode, as is often true in this series. Gosick is a good show, after all. In this episode, Victorique finally is forced to meet the other students in class. She doesn't want to, but is forced to because she left the tower thanks to the current mystery surrounding that alchemist and the teacher found her and dragged her to class. The other girl is interested to see what she looks like, but of course immediately starts treating her like a rival for Kujo's love. I'm not so sure that either Kujo or Victorique are thinking in such terms, though, of course...

Even so, that part of the episode is somewhat generic, aside from the part where Victorique lifted up her desk and dropped it on the other girl after getting mad because she was calling her names. That was interesting. :)

Anyway, as for the main plot. Victorique thinks that the alchemist is indeed dead. The other two of course kind of think his ghost is causing the murders from beyond the grave, but I'm sure Victorique will show how they are wrong and a living human did it.

And on that note, on cue here's a suspicious person, that red haired guy who was in the last episode. He's someone who was mentioned before earlier in the series, and he's definitely very suspicious... might be the villain this arc. Or maybe not, we'll have to see. He does know things about Victorique's past that few other people do, though, which definitely makes me wonder about how much he knows, and what he's doing... and indeed, it ends with a cliffhanger ending involving the guy. I need to watch the next episode now to see where this goes... fortunately for me, I'm behind and the next episode is out already. :)

Nichijou 05 - Maybe the weakest episode so far I think, but still, the good skits were great. Through most of the episode I was thinking it was a bit weak, but the ending one, the long skit involving the two girls and the teacher drawing, was great. It started kind of slow, but the payoff at the end was just awesome... brilliant stuff. :lol

I knew what was coming there, of course that drawing of the shirtless guy in flowers was going to end up on the test, but even so it was pretty funny to see... poor her. :)

Aria the Scarlet Ammo 01 - This show is awful. Kind of amusing at times, but awful. I'm not sure if I'll watch any more... as for what it is, it's basically a harem action anime crossed with Speed, the movie. That pretty much sums it up. Lots of action, lots of shooting, harem of girls in love with the guy one of whom is mysterious, more action, etc. The guy is of course amazingly good, when he's in action mode; the rest of the time he's a very generic bland guy whose only goal in life is being bland and generic. Like all harem action show protagonists he won't get that wish, but at least this guy does have a power, and in power-up mode he's pretty much a perfect shot, and sort of hits on girls too apparently. And then afterwards normal him regrets everything overdrive-mode did. Oh, the Speed element is that someone put a bomb on his bike, telling him that if he slowed down or got off it'd blow, and with an uzi on a remote controlled thing following him to make sure that he didn't just jump off. Yeah, clearly ripping off Speed. At least the show seems a little self-aware about how stupid it is, but still, it's bad.

Anyway, as I said the show is awful. It does have some nice CG with the guns, but other than that, not much positive to say about it.

Geneijin said:
Actually, AnoHana's been consistent
with how much she can affect people physically. Physical objects are free reign. However, interacting with people is very limited. For example, in Episode 3 she did not push Jinta. She jumped on him as he was about to fall as he lost his balance. The camera shows this although it can be deceiving at first. Also notice how Menma wasn't able to pull Jinta at all when he wanted to run away from attending the BBQ. She tried to hold him in place. At best, Menma's presence is explained as the same sort of sensation Naruko experienced in Episode 1 when Menma hugged her, which I can't find the appropriate word to describe it at the moment. This also holds true when Menma couldn't move Naruko or Tsuruko apart at all during their argument.
Wait, you think that Jinta fell on his own, in ep. 3? It looked to me like she knocked him down for sure... it'd be interesting if she didn't though, and indeed can't manipulate him. But she can manipulate things sometimes, like when she plays GBA or when she's cooking, so she can touch things sometimes... the question that the show seems to me to not be entirely clear on is when she can and when she can't.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Originally is overrated.
Well, in some ways of course every story has been told before, so yes the quality of the work does matter more than the originality. Even so originality (in the limited ways that we mean it, I mean) matters some, but yes I definitely agree that execution matters more. Something original but poor is not better than something cliche but brilliant.

Hrm, the final segment was actually my favorite in that episode. Mai never gets old for me.
It was just too much of it, several episodes in a row.

/XX/ said:
Very, very near from that. It spawned from the early 80's feminist movement, and Diana Coles was part of it (the tale was first published in 1983). Jack Zipes mentions the female writers of the genre at that time and her intentions:

In the case of The Clever Princess tale, practically all the male characters are either very evil, like Boax, or simply stupid.

Now I see that BluWacky already mentioned the paper from where I extracted this fragment, sorry!
I've read "Don't Bet on the Prince". Decent book. Another similar collection that I remember is called Tatterhood.

Articalys said:
Serial Experiments Lain 11-13
So... yeah. Alright.
I still don't get some of what happened but I think I understand the general gist of the rest, but it's not like there's going to be a test on it later so whatever. At least I can say I've seen it!
Best use of mind-screwy fourth-wall visual effects I've seen in a while though.

Okay, need to pick something a bit less "what the fuck is going on" for my next show to watch (not counting the current season)...
Now watch it again, so you can start to make more sense out of it. :)

But yeah, I think that by the end Lain explains itself pretty well. It doesn't leave you with huge numbers of unanswered questions, if you were paying attention while watching it; instead it asks many questions, and in the middle of the series the watcher will be very confused, but by the end it answers them and tells you what's going on. Very well done. And of course, the story and characters are as good as it gets as well.

Dresden

New Gonzo show! Hype!

The anime studio Gonzo (Saki, Rosario + Vampire) announced at the Machi Asobi event on Wednesday that it is working with Hatsune Miku character designer KEI on an all-new 2011 original anime called Copihan. The project is a slapstick school comedy set in Tokyo in 2034. The official preview website and Twitter account have already launched.

zeroshiki said:
LOL at Gonzo (Saki, Rosario + Vampire). Yeaaaahhh.... I'd have chosen some other shows to reference maybe
Rosario+Vampire's bad, but that's mostly because the manga was too... Saki though, sorry, I like it. But looking at all of their stuff Gonzo has made plenty of good shows. Bad ones too, but also good ones.

As for this show though, who knows, could go either way of course. Far too early to know if it'll be good or not.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Wait, you think that Jinta fell on his own, in ep. 3? It looked to me like she knocked him down for sure... it'd be interesting if she didn't though, and indeed can't manipulate him. But she can manipulate things sometimes, like when she plays GBA or when she's cooking, so she can touch things sometimes... the question that the show seems to me to not be entirely clear on is when she can and when she can't.
He wasn't pushed or "knocked" over. He stumbled or lost his balance as he released himself from Menma's grip. AnoHana's been consistent about that all 3 times.

ezvic.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
flawfuls said:
Hopefully this will be Gonzo terrible and not generic terrible.
From the sounds of it, it's going be generic terrible, a shame.

Still hyped for Last exile 2 at least!

zeroshiki

A Black Falcon said:
Rosario+Vampire's bad, but that's mostly because the manga was too... Saki though, sorry, I like it. But looking at all of their stuff Gonzo has made plenty of good shows. Bad ones too, but also good ones.

As for this show though, who knows, could go either way of course. Far too early to know if it'll be good or not.

Saki had terrible animation, no pacing whatsoever and nonsense yuri stuff for added measure.

I liked Gonzo during the very early 2000's or so. Their last few years were lol-worthy though. DEEN level for sure.

Lafiel said:

Let's be honest. Do we actually trust Gonzo to not drop the ball on this?

Lafiel said:

Not snarking, but why? I've lost total faith in Gonzo, even on their own established properties.

EDIT: Beaten.

Jexhius said:
Toriko 4

Sure is an anime, that I'm enjoying.

You should really watch One Piece if you don't get bored of Toriko. The two are so similar and I'm pretty sure the authors steal ideas from each other (they're friends).

Trapeze 3

As an aspiring writer and possible OCD sufferer (albeit a mild case), this episode was actually slightly relatable. Starting to like the bear costume dude a lot more. He's so silly.

Vampire Princess Miyu 3

Evil masks, eh? Kind of an eh episode compared to the last 2. At least the cloak dude's face was revealed and stuff. Is every episode gonna end on a downer?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Osaka said:
Not sure what to expect from it really, but I want it anyway!
Last exile is one of those shows that i thought was objectively poor in a lot of aspects but i enjoyed the ride anyway, looking forward to watching the sequel, if it replicates that same level of enjoyment.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Lafiel said:
Last exile is one of those shows that i thought was objectively poor in a lot of aspects but i enjoyed the ride anyway, looking forward to watching the sequel, if it replicates that same level of enjoyment.

I loved Last Exile. Especially the music and the setting.

Izayoi

Banned
Osaka said:
I loved Last Exile. Especially the music and the setting.
Yes. I thought Last Exile was amazing.

It had its flaws, sure, but there were so many good things about it.

Also, to back up one of my previous points (about high schools).

rByri.jpg

Jex

Branduil said:
Moshidora 1

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Sick burn dude. There was nothing wrong with the pilot episode, then again, there was nothing right with it either. It was there.

Wow, this thread has fallen to page three? A rare occurrence indeed in this age.

Jexhius said:
Sick burn dude. There was nothing wrong with the pilot episode, then again, there was nothing right with it either. It was there.

Wow, this thread has fallen to page three? A rare occurrence indeed in this age.

Discussion does slow down at times though.

Cwarrior

Kimagure Orange Road ep1-5

What bunch of incredibly annoying characters, I can stand one or maybe even two but all of them that’s just too much.

Decide to watch this cause I remember watching bit and pieces as kid but all I remember is the opening nothing else (should stayed that way)

Jex

Cwarrior said:
Kimagure Orange Road ep1-5

What bunch of incredible annoying characters, I can stand one or maybe even two but all of them that’s just too much.
I couldn't survive more than about eleven episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom