• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

hamchan said:
Ano Hana 3

Creeper dude is still creepy.

28h0hfm.gif

duckroll

Oh and regarding Newtype, I'll be buying this month's issue, so if there is any interesting info or artwork which isn't posted by the time I get my issue, I'll post them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Izayoi said:
Why is everything a competition? They're both good shows. ;_;
Because Duckroll likes being wrong. I mean he had a StarDriver avatar forever even after it sucked balls which was about a quarter into the OP.

duckroll

InfiniteNine said:
Because Duckroll likes being wrong. I mean he had a StarDriver avatar forever even after it sucked balls which was about a quarter into the OP.

I pick my avatars based on designs I like, or stuff which I think makes a certain point or just looks cool. It has nothing to do with my actual support for something!

JKTrix

I'd rather this competition than the unnecessary levels of hate some shows get, tbh.

I don't know about Rebuild of Eva #3. Technically we've been getting a new movie every other year, but technically they've run out of 'old stuff' to reanimate. The new new new stuff could feasibly take a little longer. But if it's about Khara, then what else could it be about?

Do want it ASAP. A date would be lovely, then I can start my 2 year R1 countdown...

Lain

InfiniteNine said:
Hey now, the first OP was visually good!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sword of the Stranger

This was really good. Why is Ando wasting his time at PA Works making crap stuff like Canaan and Hanasaku Iroha? He should direct a TV series at BONES with lots of sweet action or something.

Articalys

Lain said:
Hey now, the first OP was visually good!
Musically as well!
<3 Aqua Timez

I would link to the PV for Gravity Ø but since music companies are irrationally paranoid about such things eating into sales, I can't find a copy on YouTube anymore.

/XX/

Hitokage said:
It's actually not that obscure of a film; you've probably just heard of it under another name. Some of its scenes are rather famous too.
Man, what the hell! Now I've seen this post! Sometimes, between those sudden spike of posts per hour, that I don't have much time during the day to check it out, and now that you post here related things from your IRC conversations... I can't keep the pace of this thread, guys!

duckroll said:
Oh and regarding Newtype, I'll be buying this month's issue, so if there is any interesting info or artwork which isn't posted by the time I get my issue, I'll post them.
And I'll look forward to it, man. Thanks, duckroll!

duckroll

Aigis said:
Sword of the Stranger

This was really good. Why is Ando wasting his time at PA Works making crap stuff like Canaan and Hanasaku Iroha? He should direct a TV series at BONES with lots of sweet action or something.

Honestly, I would say he probably just wanted a change of environment and pace. The original pilot short film for what would eventually become Stranger was shown at the BONES booth at Tokyo Anime Fair 2003. Stranger was eventually released in theaters in Japan in late 2007. So it took him 4-5 years from the base concept and original test footage to get the movie made.

He's been working with PA Works on more light hearted drama since then, from True Tears, to Canaan, to Hanasaku, and to date he hasn't even been there for 4 full years. I feel that Hanasaku Iroha is probably what Ando's tenure at PA Works has been leading up to. After this, it is possible that the will once again look for something different to work on, possibly at another studio.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
C 4 - Whoa, another good episode, but this one felt less like a set-up episode, and had some interesting developments mixed in with some action, there was also some dark moments i didn't expect, yoga is such a asshole!

Cwarrior

hamchan said:
Hanasaku Iroha 5

Heh, if Tohru falls for Ohana that would be pretty hilarious.

I saw that coming way back when ep2 came out, posted my shipping theory(love triangle prediction), looks like its all coming true so far(well the show is predictable)

Don't know if anyone's said this already, but Spring 2011 has been one of the absolute best seasons of anime in years. There's a huge amount of variety and lots of quality writing/directing that make this a great time to jump back into regular anime watching.

Here's my watching list/ranking:

1. Steins;Gate [technobabble-laden conspiracy theories, love it]
2. Tiger & Bunny [bromance action, can't go wrong with that]
3. C [noitaminA doesn't disappoint often and this looks to continue that trend]
4. Ano Hi Mita [see above]
5. Moshidora [Kind of boring/generic, but I like seeing how Drucker's techniques are applied to baseball]
6. Hanasaku Iroha [kind of wavering on this one, it might drop depending on next few episodes]
7. Azazel-san [almost passed this one up, but the first 4 episodes were hysterical]
8. Deadman Wonderland [Fun, but kind of annoying at times, will see how it goes in next few episodes]
9. A-Channel [huge guilty pleasure, wouldn't really recommend it to others]
10. Denpa Onna [Shaft+Shinbo is always a good combination]
11. Enma-kun [not as good as Azazel-san but still funny, also almost missed this one]
12. SKET Dance [almost dropped after 1st episode, but 2 and 3 brought me back]

That's a dozen shows that I am watching this season and even the show at the bottom of my list is still a pretty good watch. There have been some recent seasons where I've only watched 2-3 shows.

Izayoi

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
Damn straight.
http://img.imgur.com/ixoWrl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
My brother.

[QUOTE=Articalys]Hahaha, this looks like the most worthless contest ever. Not even for a full line of dialogue, just a single spoken word.

[URL="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-05-05/c-anime-holds-web-audition-for-1-word-in-dialogue"]C Anime Holds Web Audition for 1 Word in Dialogue[/URL]

That better be one impressive show-altering word.[/QUOTE]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlzoGP2m0w]Oppai![/url]

flawfuls

Great Rumbler said:
Don't know if anyone's said this already, but Spring 2011 has been one of the absolute best seasons of anime in years. There's a huge amount of variety and lots of quality writing/directing that make this a great time to jump back into regular anime watching.

5. Moshidora [Kind of boring/generic, but I like seeing how Drucker's techniques are applied to baseball]
6. Hanasaku Iroha [kind of wavering on this one, it might drop depending on next few episodes]
7. Azazel-san [almost passed this one up, but the first 4 episodes were hysterical]
8. Deadman Wonderland [Fun, but kind of annoying at times, will see how it goes in next few episodes]
11. Enma-kun [not as good as Azazel-san but still funny, also almost missed this one]

That's a dozen shows that I am watching this season and even the show at the bottom of my list is still a pretty good watch. There have been some recent seasons where I've only watched 2-3 shows.

Have you tried Hyouge Mono? You should if you haven't.

flawfuls

C 4

That was good, it even looked alright.

Lafiel said:
C 4 - Whoa, another good episode, but this one felt less like a set-up episode, and had some interesting developments mixed in with some action, there was also some dark moments i didn't expect, yoga is such a asshole!

Huh, what did he do that made you think he was an asshole?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Huh, what did he do that made you think he was an asshole?
He
bankrupted the teacher, which made him lose his children!
. Also based on the last conversation, i thought they implied that he should have
lost the battle, to keep things in control, because it doesn't seem to be a good thing, that events in the financial district are affecting things in the real world, unless he would have gotten bankrupted if he did mm, thus had no choice in the situation regardless

trejo

Steins;Gate 5

Well this one certainly seemed to have more focus than previous episodes and we finally seem to be heading somewhere. Interaction between the characters is still the main draw for me on this one. Good times.

So, is part-timer girl
from the future/alternate universe
or something?

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
He
bankrupted the teacher, which made him lose his children!
. Also based on the last conversation, i thought they implied that he should have
lost the battle, to keep things in control, because it doesn't seem to be a good thing, that events in the financial district are affecting things in the real world, unless he would have gotten bankrupted if he did mm, thus had no choice in the situation regardless

Yeah but he only found out about that after the fight.

Great Rumbler said:

What? No Kaiji?!

trejo

Fireball Charming 4

Drossel looks so awesome with that headgear thingy. I need some sort of Revoltech figure or the like. Seriously.

Oh, and the episode was entertaining, as usual.

Geneijin

AnoHana
Lain said:
Granted, I don't remember what she did say exactly, just that she seemed annoyed to be there and that she acted, in front of him, as if she didn't care about him (she gave him the homework 2 days before the end of vacation, right?). Now, with the knowledge of the later episodes and her other actions, I find it a bad behavior toward a childhood friend that she somewhat had (and still seems to have) a kind of crush on. I say she treats him badly, but maybe I should say she isn't fair to him? I'm not sure.
Depends how one interprets what she said I guess. When she said she didn't care about him going to school, I didn't feel it was really negative because of what she said soon afterward, which sounded as though she was saying it doesn't really matter if he returned to school or not. What mattered was how ashamed he should be of his current self right now because going to school shouldn't matter if he doesn't better his self back. She was annoyed at him more for being in the state he is in now than ridiculing him personally, so I didn't think she was treating him badly. Or at least I feel those words are inaccurate in describing the type of interaction going on between the two.

Fair somewhat sounds right but doesn't too. Do you mean something along the lines of comforting or sympathetic?

Yes, she did stop mid sentence, but it looked more or less to me that her reply was going to be the "who would like/care about someone like him" type (kind of what Jinta did to Menma as kids). She realizes what she is about to say so she stops in the middle of it, but I can't help but see it that Anaru doesn't want to lose face with her friends or, well, the people she associates on a daily basis.
She's most likely trying to preserve her image. It doesn't appear like it's anything else and I'd be hard-pressed to interpret it differently.

As for what Anaru was about to say, I'm inclined to agree with you. But because she stopped before finishing whatever she was about to say, I don't think as badly of her since her psychological state as how I've interpreted her actions still remain at a point where it isn't condemnable for me.

As I see it, if someone badmouths my childhood friend and I sit there saying nothing to stop them or just nod my head, I'm just as bad as the people doing the badmouthing. She's guilty of it just as much as them because of association and because she don't oppose it. The two things can't be separated in my eyes.
I started having a negative opinion of her exactly because of this. She doesn't join them in the badmouthing, but she doesn't stop them either. She goes out with the people badmouthing Jinta and says nothing, tells Jinta she'd want him to come to school at the end of episode 2, yet when he does and her friends are making fun of him, she doesn't stop them, she just gets embarrassed and starts to say something that to me is going to be a little bit nasty (which she stops in the middle of) because of appearances sake.

Maybe what Menma says is true, Anaru hasn't changed inside (and the only change is in her looks), but if that is true, then I have an even harder time liking her, because it means that Anaru has always been a bit of a hypocrite.
The personality she has shown so far is a type I don't like too much, which is way Anaru can be the most developed character in the show and I still would think she sucks.
Then this is where I disagree. I don't think the blame can be nearly equivalent when it's known who the instigators were and who's doing mostly what is visibly apparent. I see and believe there is a separation and distinction which exists with actions, and there are people more palpable than others within a group dynamic who should carry more responsibility for their severity depending on those actions, irrespective to the others' compliance with some notable exceptions obviously. I ain't excusing her inaction completely without blame, but I don't see her idleness as detrimental as the ones who should be blamed more for what they're doing.

I can see and understand where you're coming from now though.

But honestly, she's a favorite character of mine because of how they were able to portray her flaws - the effect of peer pressure and a humanistic response to those pressures, her dysphoria, depression - and how she conducts herself within her own confines. And while we disagree with the responsibility she should assume for her friends' slander against Jintan, it's because I don't blame her as much as her friends initiating the trouble that I can supplant her and see not only is she in a volatile emotional state as teenagers are susceptible and lethargic to, but her past distress adds even more damage to her psyche. It's why I don't think terribly of her character because I differentiate the repercussions of their actions. The biggest test would be Yukiatsu for me. I'm still on a middle ground about accepting his actions instead of downright ostracizing him for them.

And thanks for the response.

Cwarrior

Anohana ep4

zehahaahaha great episode
he tried to pull a azien smirk behind tree but glass girl saw through his bankai

Fav charater of this show is poppo who is a really cool guy compared to the others and Tsuruko who has the power to see through people's bullshit(anaru and creap boy got seen through)

Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia (English dub) - OVA that is part of the original Dirty Pair series, and it's the first I've seen of it. I'll agree, it probably was better than what I've seen of Dirty Pair Flash. Not bad, it was pretty solid.

Seriously though, did it really have to have tentacles? ... Yes, I know, it was inevitable, probably.

Also, this movie is anti-genetic engineering propaganda, isn't it... well it's sort of true. :)

But woah, that ending...
That's pretty crazy. So in the end, the psychic child commits suicide, destroying the entire city in the process, and murdering every living human there... all just because the scientists who ran the place were running experiments on children, genetically engineering them with a mixture of human and alien DNA to form a new race of superhumans with which they wanted to conquer the universe or something. Apparently genetic experiments like that aren't allowed in this universe; their excuse is that it's in the name of science! The bad guy's potential moral position there is undermined, though, when it's shown how badly the children were treated, and when he does admit that galactic conquest wasn't exactly out of his mind...

Either way on that htough, having it end by the children killing themselves and destroying the entire city in the process is pretty crazy. Not all of those people were guilty of doing anything to you, lots just worked there... but they all die, all except for our two heroines.

Also, of course the female enemy defects to the side of good due to her good conscience... very stereotypical there. She dies with the rest of them at the end though, maybe she thought they deserved it for what they did to those children or something? The scientists perhaps I could see, but everyone else... :(

So yeah, decent plot, but such a messed up ending...

Oh, I did like the alien life part. The alien plants and stuff were truly different looking, looked like undersea creatures or something. Pretty cool, they put a bit more effort into some of that than many animes would. On the other hand, a lot of elements of the visual design looked very '80s. Oh well, it works I guess, but it does look dated (they did not really place it outside of its time successfully). :)

Overall, pretty good. Dub wasn't that bad either.

Twelve Kingdoms 23 - So depressing... and not about our heroine, either. Again. At least this one is apparently just a one episode side story. But yeah, that was seriously bleak -- the ep. is about a king who, along with his wife, ran a reign of terror that had hundreds of thousands of people executed for nonexistent crimes, before the people finally revolted and killed him. Pleasant stuff. At least they only take one episode on this, instead of spending eight or more without even getting halfway through the story (see: the previous long side arc)!

Silh

Moshidora 9

This was unfortunately more hilarious than I thought it'd be, from
Jiro slapping Minami
to the whole team laughing about it later (I'm serious). Or maybe I'm not as invested in this as I thought.

Just got Summer Wars on the cheap, will be watching it after my shows tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom