• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Garzey's Wing 1

Hilariously stilted dub + nonsensically fast pacing + creepy loli fairy
and her back
= awesome.
More like creepy and disgusting!

Garzey's Wing 2

Slowed down a little, but still doesn't make a lick of sense.

Real world Chris is still trying to seduce the ladies while giving his other world counterpoint tactical advice. His multitasking is impressive.

NotebookJ2 said:
Like I said in the other topic, I'm a fan of vocaloids [mostly the doujin music scene], but man this has got to be the most bizarre thing ever. So bizarre that I'm not going to watch it.

I mean, why a car commercial I don't even

If it was Toyota Japan I could understand, but Toyota US...

Jex

Garzey's Wing 2

Now with slower pacing, and absolutely zero logic.

Also, jumping necklaces get you the ladies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Garzey wing 3 - I can't believe how untomino that ending was... i mean wow, yet it was still very tomino in a sense.o-o

Garzey's Wing 3

I am now going to watch every single thing Tomino has had a hand in. Even if he was just passing by the studio of an unrelated animation company.

Steroyd

Garzey's Wing 3

The ending lived up to my expectations, exceeded it even.

Now excuse me while I try to cool down from nearly dying from this hilarity.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
Garzey's Wing 3

I am now going to watch every single thing Tomino has had a hand in. Even if he was just passing by the studio of an unrelated animation company.
Unfortunately most of the other Tomino stuff is either long and good (rarely) or long and bad (often). Not short and AMAZING.

Twelve Kingdoms 23 - So depressing... and not about our heroine, either. Again. At least this one is apparently just a one episode side story. But yeah, that was seriously bleak -- the ep. is about a king who, along with his wife, ran a reign of terror that had hundreds of thousands of people executed for nonexistent crimes, before the people finally revolted and killed him. Pleasant stuff. At least they only take one episode on this, instead of spending eight or more without even getting halfway through the story (see: the previous long side arc)!

Garzey's Wing 02 - That was alright. The slower pace worked, though it was a bit jarring after the constant, beginning-to-end action of ep. 2. It says a little more about this world, but only a very little more. This world's combination of normal creatures, fantasy animals, and giant dinosaurs and dinosaur-like beasts is interesting, you don't see that often and it adds something to the uniqueness of the design. Of course though, the terrible voice acting continues...

Garzey's Wing 03 - Woah. That has got to be one of the most incredible endings of all time, ever... that Tomino actually decided to end it with such utter, complete, entirely unexplained insanity... amazing, just amazing!

All in all, the show was completely terrible. Nothing was ever explained. All of the names were quite odd, I can see why the voice actors had trouble with them. The plot made no sense, and Tomino never attempted to explain it -- he simply went forward with the action without ever saying much of the why. The action's decent, the voice acting horribly bad (amusingly so at times), the plot such as it was delusional and unexplained... so much to simultaneously love and hate about this.

That ending, though, made the whole show. I mean, without it it would have been entertainingly terrible, but the complete insanity of that last scene really encapsulated the nonsense that is Garzey's Wing. Also, "humans are human", insightful philosophical statements there!

In the end, they defeat the head bad guy in fantasy world (with Chris getting spiritual powerups from several other characters, most of them female) and our hero Chris executes the dying enemy leader, and is disturbed by it and throws up afterwards (he did kill people before, but a defenseless person, I can see how he'd see it as different). Then we get that nonsense philosophy about humans being human, and then it leaves fantasy-land.

The next scene shows real-world Chris and his girlfriend on his motorcycle. Then a large tree appears, which is the tree that the fantasy people had been talking about throughout (proclaiming their nation under that tree would give them power or something, who knows why)... but it's in Japan somehow? Who knows, it's not explained. Then, the motorcycle takes off into the air, powered by Garzey's Wing. The end. Seriously.

SO AWESOME! :D

So this was an original series by Tomino, the guy behind Gundam, etc. Apparently it's mostly classic Tomino, but much shorter than his average work, and without the "kill 'em all" aspect of a lot of his stuff. I haven't seen much else of his stuff though, so I can't say much beyond that. Apparently his stuff is sort of like this often, except a lot longer and with lots of character deaths? I don't know.

Articalys

Is there really a point to discussing special features in the main thread? Anyone who wasn't present can't really comment on them...

Anyway

Ano Hana 4
Yeah... serious issues to work out.
I did chuckle at the puppet show.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Twelve Kingdoms 23 - So depressing... and not about our heroine, either. Again. At least this one is apparently just a one episode side story. But yeah, that was seriously bleak -- the ep. is about a king who, along with his wife, ran a reign of terror that had hundreds of thousands of people executed for nonexistent crimes, before the people finally revolted and killed him. Pleasant stuff. At least they only take one episode on this, instead of spending eight or more without even getting halfway through the story (see: the previous long side arc)!
Well, technically this arc goes on for like 20 episodes but it's the best arc and the princess might actually be a better character than Youko by the end of it all, although not as bad ass as Youko.

C 4

Yoga's fight was too short, but Mikuni's was excellent.

Now that we have some idea of just what's at stake, I wonder how often Yoga is gonna play it safe. Also wondering if the OP was a bait and switch since Mikuni seems to be the good guy mentor type who isn't out to destroy people's lives. Maybe Yoga becomes the bad guy?

Articalys

Moshidora 9
Well, they're using probably every sports drama movie cliche in the book, but I guess I'm just a pushover since it's working on me.
Too bad the animation still sucks for the drama scenes though.
Also, the preview probably spoiled the twist in the last episode. I though I told myself to stop watching those during all my shows...

Denpa Onna 4
This is the best show. Ever.

Kettch

Denpa 4

2 minutes in and I'm already considering turning it off. This is seriously the worst main character I've ever seen. The show could be so good, but he's draining the life out of everything.

Lain

When is Moshidora 10 airing, today or tomorrow? Or it aired right after 9? I still waiting to watch the latest ones to watch it all in one go.

Geneijin

Lain said:
When is Moshidora 10 airing, today or tomorrow? Or it aired right after 9? I still waiting to watch the latest ones to watch it all in one go.
Today (Friday). Episode 9 finished airing yesterday.

trejo

AnoHana 4

Yep, they totally did go there. Well played Anohana, well played.

Articalys said:
The triple delusion and refrigerator sequences had me cracking up. Meme is amazing.
You mean Ami-chan, right?

Geneijin

AnoHana - 4
Yeah, it sounded good then considering the evidence only available in Episode 1 and 2, but with Episode 3 and 4 having aired, I feel it's safer to say there's very little credibility this will become a harem setting. I'll have to respectfully change back my position and say
Tsuruko likes Yukiatsu.
Tsuruko is such a suave in Episode 4. I can't help but see that.

Izayoi

Banned
Ano Hana 4. Sweet, sweet justice. Just when I hoping for the asshole creeper kid to get hit by a car something even better happens. Fucking golden. This show is awesome.

Denpa Onna 4. So good. Aunt of the year, all years.

kiryogi

Banned
Anohana 4 was great. It continues to be the show I look forward to every week this season..... Now it's a whole nother week D:

Articalys

Oh man, I just realized in Denpa that Meme referring to her "husband" as Elliott was probably yet another E.T. reference on top of Erio's initials and the whole bike/moon thing.

kiryogi said:
Anohana 4 was great. It continues to be the show I look forward to every week this season..... Now it's a whole nother week D:
I feel it's gonna be that way every week. I'm even looking forward to the previews sadly...

Anohana 4 is when I got hooked. At first I despised Yukiatsu for being an ass, but I want to see what happens next. Next week can't come soon enough.

Uchip

Banned
Anohana 1
loli grinding and a plot device from the movie Ghost
interesting but this better get a lot more interesting or im going to hate you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom