• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Hanasaku Iroha ep6

Episode was meh ,the fanservice worked in the context to plot so that fine,nothing really interesting or note worthy happened this episode, apart from tohru seen liking ohana which am bit bummed about since I like my shows to surprise me and not be so predictable.

Non of episodes so far has been anywhere near as good as episode 1

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanasaku Iroha 6: The consultant sounds like she was taught by some d-bag who picked up catch phrases from a shitty marketing conference. I'd like to think that
NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING WIN
was a commentary on the absurdity of catch phrases rather than just bad Engrish anyway.

Plot wise, it's very clear that what happens with Tohru is a total double bluff. At least I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be what people expect it to be. It's just not that kind of show, or otherwise they would have done it the last time he hung out with princess curls girl.

If only they had a copy of Drucker though... clearly they'd solve all their problems. Remember, marketing to your customers is the key to success!

Moshidora: Speaking of which, wow, what a strange ending. I guess they felt like they wanted to tell a serious story and go all mono no aware. I do find it hilarious that they found a way to wrap it all back to Drucker though.

Not sure how I thought about the series as a whole. It contextualized an info dump into high school nostalgia, so I suppose it served its purpose... but it's definitely not a show you watch for the slice of life/baseball stuff.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hanasaku Iroha 6

Enjoyable episode. I was worried the episode would end up being about them trying on various costumes until they found the perfect one, but thankfully that didn't happen.

Seems like shits going to get real between Ohana and Minko over the next few episodes!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
M_Night said:
Seems like shits going to get real between Ohana and Minko over the next few episodes!
No way! Here's my picks for what he's up to:

He pulls a CJCRB and just likes the dress/wants to wear it/wants to be a fashion designer.
He likes the consultant.
He likes Nako.
He's reminded of an old girlfriend that will be introduced eventually.

Go_Ly_Dow

firehawk12 said:

He pulls a CJCRB and just likes the dress/wants to wear it/wants to be a fashion designer.
He likes the consultant.
He likes Nako.

Or it's the obvious choice :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
M_Night said:
As I said though, if it's the obvious choice, they wouldn't have done the misunderstanding thing a few times already.

It'd be complete tone whiplash if they did the angst now, especially if they're planning on bringing Ko back into the picture soon.

Cwarrior

firehawk12 said:

He likes the consultant.
He likes Nako.

If only the show would actually try to pull some surprises at least.

firehawk12 said:
As I said though, if it's the obvious choice, they wouldn't have done the misunderstanding thing a few times already.

It'd be complete tone whiplash if they did the angst now, especially if they're planning on bringing Ko back into the picture soon.

what better way to punish Ko lol

Jex

M_Night said:
It's hard to say because such an occurrence would create actual, tangible drama. Then again, we have enough episodes to run through a range of possibilities.

If it wants to be all soft slice-of-life then it wouldn't do such a thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cwarrior said:
If only the show try to pull some surprise at least
Infinite Justice said:

The show is, at the moment anyway, about the power of positive thinking. You can't really think your way out of a love square. Maybe the writer got that out of her system with AnoHana... or at least, hopefully she did.

Deadman Wonderland 4

Hmmm, so the blood manipulation is the only power? I guess there could be some slight differences in the application of it. Hope there's not a complete lack of variety of in the battles. At least it seems like a tournament is a big part of the series.

Go_Ly_Dow

Torhu and
Nako would be an interesting one because I wonder if Minko would be a bitch to her.

Infinite Justice said:

Ko walking in on a misunderstanding situation confirmed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
M_Night said:
Torhu and
Nako would be an interesting one because I wonder if Minko would be a bitch to her.
Yep, it'd be the more interesting of the possibilities anyway.

Ko walking in on a misunderstanding situation confirmed.
You know that will happen. Even better if it's a Ohana x Nako misunderstanding, I suppose.

M_Night said:
Torhu and

Had the same thought

Plus add Nako's shy/quiet personality and Ohana being forced to choose a side (though she will work on getting both back) and it would be interesting

Cwarrior

firehawk12 said:
The show is, at the moment anyway, about the power of positive thinking. You can't really think your way out of a love square. Maybe the writer got that out of her system with AnoHana... or at least, hopefully she did.

Anohana benefits from being short, so I original expected it to move fast but it surprised me by moving a lot faster then I imagined,so I have no clue what's going to happen next and the method of using nokemon to bring the characters together was unexpected.

While iroha has dropped in quality after the fantastic first episode and has become just decent lately.

Jex

Both shows have dropped somewhat in quality since their opening episode and I'd argue that, for the most part, Ano Hana is as predictable as any other show. Nothings really come out of the blue, which is fine because you don't need to bring in a "shock" just to change things up.

jman2050

I actually care about what happens next in AnoHana, cheesy as it is.

I couldn't give two shits about what's going on in HanaIro.

Jex

I don't even think Ano Hana is particularly cheesy, whatever that means.

I'd wager that you're more invested in the fate of the cast of that show because, well, they're going through things. Working out fairly weighty issues. Dealing with severe personal problems. That's the intention of the show.

Hanasaku Iroha is very much a slice-of-life story where the stakes aren't particularly high.

The two shows have very different pacing as well. Things are moving a long at a fair clip with Ano Hana because it's going to be half as long as Hansaku Iroha. With a longer show you have the ability to build characters up over time but if you do it badly you've just got a lot of fluffy filler.

Will these characters meet and overcome various challenges, allowing them to grow, throughout the course of the show? We probably won't know for a while yet. Ohana has been positioned as the catalyst for change in other people but it doesn't seem likely that she will go through any substantial changes until she deals with Ko.

tiff

Banned
Nichijou 6 - Deer fight and camping segments were great. The worst one was probably the cockroach one, but even that wasn't bad. On the whole I'd put it on par with the first two episodes.

Jexhius said:
Both shows have dropped somewhat in quality since their opening episode and I'd argue that, for the most part, Ano Hana is as predictable as any other show. Nothings really come out of the blue, which is fine because you don't need to bring in a "shock" just to change things up.

I would argue that Ano Hana has remained consistent since its first episode (and Memna has found a good place in the show since her awkward introduction) while Hanasaku Iroha has had a significant drop in quality since its first two episodes. Iroha's first episode was easily the best of any show this season, but its poetic atmosphere has since been lost.

jman2050

Jexhius said:
Will these characters meet and overcome various challenges, allowing them to grow, throughout the course of the show? We probably won't know for a while yet.

I'm going to wager a guess and say no. Feel free to go back to this post in Octoberish if needed.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I'm going to wager a guess and say no. Feel free to go back to this post in Octoberish if needed.
That's a distinct possibility, especially for a show within this genre. Major plot events are often the drive for character change and a "main plot" hasn't appeared on the horizon outside of some vague 'improve the Inn' stuff.

I don't necessarily need to have a cast that changes over time for me to like the show, so we'll see.
hosannainexcelsis said:
I would argue that Ano Hana has remained consistent since its first episode (and Memna has found a good place in the show since her awkward introduction) while Hanasaku Iroha has had a significant drop in quality since its first two episodes. Iroha's first episode was easily the best of any show this season, but its poetic atmosphere has since been lost.
I'll meet you half-way and say that Ano Hana has certainly been more consistent, even with a drop off from the opener. Maybe I should be even more specific and say the writing and character work have remained tight throughout but I feel the direction is not as smooth as that opening episode.

As for Hanasaku Iroha, the quality is certainly a lot more uneven, even if that's to be expected in a longer work. I will strongly disagree with the notion that it's had a significant drop in quality since the first two episodes.

For starters episode one was really, really good, radiating excellence from every facet of it's being, so a drop-off from that is guaranteed. Episode two was pretty darn good and so was episode three, even if I feel that the content was a bit over the top it was still very entertaining. Episode four was a bit of set-up and five was out right average in all respects. However, episode six was actually pretty damn charming and reminded me of episode two.

I feel that Hanasaku Iroha has had lower lows and higher highs in it's run, so far. At some points it's experienced a sharp drop off from the opening, but at other times it's been great, so the picture is a bit more complicated then a simple "It's been a pattern of steady decline". (I'm aware that this qualifies as 'nitpicking', but hey, it's all in good fun.)

Of course, I'm making excuses to an extent by saying stuff like "longer shows tend to be inconsistent", even though it's true. The real great anime, such as Mushi-Shi are awesome for twenty-six consecutive episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
I don't really understand this drop in quality though...

Nichijou 6
Deer Fighter 4 was pretty sweet and the camping segment was pretty fun too. Nothing that was as funny as the drawing part from last episode though.

Hanasaku 6
I felt like this brought the show back to the quality of the first 2 episodes. Really enjoyed the scene at the end with Nako and Ohana in the old dresses. Looks like Tohru has the hots for someone who isn't Minko.

UGXjql.jpg

KIRABOSHI!

Go_Ly_Dow

B.K. said:
Ano Hana 4

Wow. Yukiatsu is really fucked up.

The most creepy thing about the whole incident is how
he goes as far as shaving his legs.

It'd be amazing to see the preparation when he decided to go through with it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
M_Night said:

It'd be amazing to see the preparation he decided to go through with it!
Hey, if
you're going to wear a dress, you have to prepare!

Jex

For those following [C] I've noticed that anime/otaku has been going pretty deep into the symbolism present in the cards. He's clearly gone trough quite a bit of effort locating all the cards equivalent within the Tarrot system and explaining what it all might mean. Here's what he's written so far:

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/tarot-mysticism-and-the-symbolism-in-c-control/
http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/c-4-tarot-symbols-established-and-an-explosive-beginning/
http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/c-and-mysticism-the-qabalah-the-sephirot-and-the-tarot/

/XX/

Having seen now approximately one quarter of Nichijō TV series, I can say for sure that I appreciate the possibility (sometimes) of a more dynamic animation that this adaptation work grants to Kyoto Animation, because I thought they were pretty stagnant lately regarding more variety in their animation approach.

Don't misunderstand me, I think that series like K-ON! (and K-ON!!) had a magnificent character animation and pretty lively too, but some kinetic-type scenes sometimes give a better impression, and I think are fun for their animators too. A (little) core team of in-house animators dedicated to the same type of works, I think at times must be a little dull...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
Having seen now approximately one quarter of Nichijō TV series, I can say for sure that I appreciate the possibility (sometimes) of a more dynamic animation that this adaptation work grants to Kyoto Animation, because I thought they were pretty stagnant lately regarding more variety in their animation approach.

Don't misunderstand me, I think that series like K-ON! (and K-ON!!) had a magnificent character animation and pretty lively too, but some kinetic-type scenes sometimes give a better impression, and I think are fun for their animators too. A (little) core team of in-house animators dedicated to the same type of works, I think at times must be a little dull...
There's certainly a sense of joy in the visual gags that they like to use - the ones in this latest episode were extremely dynamic and exciting to watch. People don't like it when the show "slows down" with the Hakase segments, but I like the balance between the physical gags and the cerebral ones.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
For those following [C] I've noticed that anime/otaku has been going pretty deep into the symbolism present in the cards. He's clearly gone trough quite a bit of effort locating all the cards equivalent within the Tarrot system and explaining what it all might mean. Here's what he's written so far:

http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/tarot-mysticism-and-the-symbolism-in-c-control/
http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/c-4-tarot-symbols-established-and-an-explosive-beginning/
http://animeotaku.animeblogger.net/2011/05/c-and-mysticism-the-qabalah-the-sephirot-and-the-tarot/

That's pretty crazy. Even more reason to love this show I guess.

I guess I'm a huge nerd because I get more excited by the financial terms being thrown around "e.g. white knight".

Waiting for them to use Greenmail, Bear Hug, etc. Lol god I'm sad

/XX/

firehawk12 said:
There's certainly a sense of joy in the visual gags that they like to use - the ones in this latest episode were extremely dynamic and exciting to watch. People don't like it when the show "slows down" with the Hakase segments, but I like the balance between the physical gags and the cerebral ones.
Yeah, sometimes you could say some jokes are lost in the translation, or so culturally different that are difficult to understand, and I think that is why at times the show doesn't connect with some of the viewers, but there are other occasions (that you have mentioned) where the segments are differently paced and sometimes, in my opinion, that contrast gives more 'punch' to some of the jokes. Also, I'm not saying that all the gags benefit from this, of course there are some that fall flat, but in my case those are the minority.

Another thing I'd like to note is that, like in other shows similar to this one, you enjoy more some of the jokes when you have accustomed to the personal traits of the characters, and that will give it an advantage for successive episodes (although I don't know if this is the kind of show for a 26-episodes format).

And the official FIFA anthem appearance during that '10-Yen Soccer (better called football, guys)' sketch was a very nice touch.

Izayoi

Banned
Aigis said:
AnoHana 4
Lol. Dropped.
Seriously?

Gosick 15. Some seriously blatant foreshadowing going on here. It's going to be heart-wrenching too, I bet. ;_;

Astarotte 5. Daaaw. This show is adorable. I'm interested in seeing how they're going to end this on a happy note, considering the entire premise...

Tiger and Bunny 6. Awesome show. Things are getting more interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
Yeah, sometimes you could say that some jokes are lost in the translation, or culturally alienable, and I think that is way sometimes it doesn't connect with some viewers, but there are other times (that you have mentioned) where the segments are differently paced, and sometimes, in my opinion, that contrast gives more 'punch' to some of the jokes. Also, I'm not saying that all the gags benefit from this, of course there are some that fall flat, but in my case those are the minority.
I grew up on chintzy sketch comedy, made specifically for children, so I like the rhythm that most of the episodes possess. I think people lose sight of the fact that these are still meant to be 20 minute episodes and not 3 minute youtube clips, but then again, we watch media differently now. I'm sure no one watches a full episode of Saturday Night Live now, for instance.

Another thing I'd like to note is that, like in other shows similar to this one, you enjoy more some of the jokes when you have accustomed to the personal traits of the characters, and that will give it an advantage for successive episodes (although I don't know if this is the kind of show for a 26-episodes format).
Yeah, Yuko and Mai are the regular Tom and Jerry of the show now, and to a lesser extent, Yuko and Mio. The Hakase/Nano/Sakamoto relationship is a lot like that as well.
Whether it's suited for the format seems to depends on whether the jokes become tired or not.

Funny enough, I can't even remember if I like Looney Toons. I know I must have seen all of them and they all have the exact same jokes in endless variations, but I can't summon an emotional or intellectual response to go with those memories. Presumably I didn't mind as a kid since it never occurred to me to go "Why doesn't the Coyote just shoot the Road Runner with a machine gun?".

jman2050

If Nichijou had anywhere near the exaggerated zaniness and comedic timing of your average Looney Tunes short it might actually have been a good show.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I feel that Hanasaku Iroha has had lower lows and higher highs in it's run, so far. At some points it's experienced a sharp drop off from the opening, but at other times it's been great, so the picture is a bit more complicated then a simple "It's been a pattern of steady decline". (I'm aware that this qualifies as 'nitpicking', but hey, it's all in good fun.)
Yeah that's exactly how i feel, even though hanasaku iroha has had some really silly moments at times past the second episode, even in those episodes it gets a certain mood right that really grips me, plus the character interactions are consistently good.

Airan

Denpa Onna 1 - for some reason I was expecting a sort of AnoHana type slow, serious show but I would've never been prepared for what the fuck just happened. On the plus side I now know where this 'futon girl' comes from! The OP is terrible though, terrible.

Hanasaku Iroha 6 - Oh man, Tohru's wry smile.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
I have an urge to say Episode 5 will bring this "shock," but no one besides Jintan would prompt that type of reaction yet I can't see it happening either. He'll have the strongest reaction if it remains predictable since Episode 4, won't he?

M_Night said:

It'd be amazing to see the preparation when he decided to go through with it!
Doesn't even come remotely close to the act itself personally.
The wig and leg shaving just added to it.
:lol

/XX/ said:
That is very much true.

Mio is the best.

Izayoi

Banned
Airan said:
Denpa Onna 1 - for some reason I was expecting a sort of AnoHana type slow, serious show but I would've never been prepared for what the fuck just happened. On the plus side I now know where this 'futon girl' comes from! The OP is terrible though, terrible.
You're terrible.

;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Izayoi said:
You're terrible.

;_;
He's Aigis, ignore him and he will go away.
It seems I am blind. My apologies Aigis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom