• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Has anyone else ever stopped watching next episode previews? I feel like some shows have started giving away too much for the next episode's content, spoiling the fun if you can figure it all out ahead of time. That's why I like shows similar to Denpa that just give you a title, with just enough context to get the general idea of what might happen but not enough to divine it all.

Also, I had no idea that the AnoHana and Iroha screenplays were written by the same person. The more you know!

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
If you like evil lesbians, that practically seems to be the theme of every episode. Some of them are also sharks.
This sounds like the best show ever made.

Articalys said:
Has anyone else ever stopped watching next episode previews?
I never watch episode previews, ever. I don't know why they even make them. Unless it's like you said, in Denpa, where they reveal nothing - why would you want to spoil it for yourself?

I typically watch past the credits just to see if there's any after-story, but if it looks like an episode preview I immediately stop watching.

Steroyd

Lotte's Toy - 05

I understand HNNNNNNNNNNG now.

Jexhius said:
Devil Lady 6

What's with all the evil lesbians?

SOLD.

Jexhius said:
If you like evil lesbians, that practically seems to be the theme of every episode. Some of them are also sharks.

EVEN MORE SOLD!

Articalys said:
Has anyone else ever stopped watching next episode previews? I feel like some shows have started giving away too much for the next episode's content, spoiling the fun if you can figure it all out ahead of time. That's why I like shows similar to Denpa that just give you a title, with just enough context to get the general idea of what might happen but not enough to divine it all.

I rarely make it past the ED, to get to the preview unless the ED pops up with 5 minutes to spare.

Jex

Articalys said:
I'm not big on being spoiled.

Unless of course it's a VOTOMS preview, because those are written like hard-boiled detective stories.

trejo

I don't mind previews. Most times I skip the ED to watch the preview or to check if there's some extra scene or anything.

Izayoi

Banned
Deadman Wonderland 4. I have a feeling they're going to have a hard time trying to explain all of this in the eight episodes that are left.

Gosick 16. Hhhhnnnggghhh. Fantastic show. I'm glad that
they weren't apart for too long.
I don't know if I could handle that. ;_;

Jexhius said:
She certainly doesn't sparkale.

She also doesn't have sex hair. Ohana takes sex hair to the next level by having the 2 flowers in her hair at all times too, well I think they are flowers, one of the episodes kinda mentioned they are actually flower-shaped hair clips. Either way, hnnnnnnng.

I guess the joke in Japan is that people in the Japanese countryside think that people from Japanese cities are REALLY LOUD. Because they sure use that joke a lot in HanaIro.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
I'm telling you, if the spoilers I've read are any indication, we're only just scratching the surface.

Just barely scratching the surface in fact.
I'm inclined to believe the surface is a lie.
A Black Falcon said:
Twelve Kingdoms 24-26 - Okay episodes, but this series continues being somewhat uncomfortable to watch. I don't like how long it keeps the suspense going before it finally allows anything to happen, I can't take it and just want to know what's going to happen but in this show it's likely that it'll be way too long until it'll tell me. Not fun.

As for the plot, Youko is the main character but there are also bits about the stories of two other female characters we've seen some of before, the former princess Shouhei from ep. 23 and a Japanese girl who got caught in a storm and pulled to the Twelve Kingdoms a century ago and is now a servant at a quite nasty woman's palace. She's immortal and can understand their speech thanks to the servant contract, but hates her mistress and is miserable. Understandable, with the not very nice stuff the mistress makes her servants do.

Youko's story is the best of these three by far, so far. She's the queen now of course, but she's having a tough time with learning how to be queen of a fantasy kingdom. That makes sense, how many modern-day high schoolers would be able to cope with suddenly being tossed into a very strange fantasy world and abruptly made their ruler? It's kind of absurd to expect her to be able to get it all without problems, she just doesn't know how this world works and nor would anyone. I'm not sure exactly what's going on yet, entirely, because the show's keeping it hidden, but there is obviously a conspiracy. Probably several conspiracies. So far one has been revealed, in part; it remains to be seen if these people really were evil, I'm not sure, but I guess they were conspiring against her. The question is why, is that lord who escaped behind it or is it deeper? I expect there to be multiple conspiracies soon. Youko's doing what she can and she's doing a decent job of it, but it's really hard for someone to be tossed into a tough job like that, particularly when they know nothing about how this world works. I'm sure she will figure out things better as the series continues, she's smart enough. But yeah, it's an interesting story of conspiracies and Youko learning about how the kingdom works and how she should run it. This part was the best side of these episodes.

As for Shouhei, she's a serious pain. Sure, up to this point all she'd ever done was been cute and danced and stuff, without another thought in her head, and now she has to suffer and deal with being mortal, but seriously, I do think that she should be more able to rationally think about what people are saying about the things her parents did. She hears the innumerable horriffic stories of their crimes, but she somehow manages to mostly ignore them and just keeps defending his actions. Sure, she was sheltered in the palace and not allowed out, but now that the truth has been revealed to her, that she continues to be in denial and defend them is awful! Even if it's sad and hard to take, the truth is the truth, and she's not just denying it, she's making false, stupid accusations on others in her attempts to cling on to the lies her parents told them about what she was doing.

I can understand her bitterness at suddenly being mortal now and having to work instead of living in the palace, but her awful attitude, defense of her father's actions, etc. make her very, very hard to take. That Kei guy was being pretty admirable when he ignored her numerous stupid insults and just banished her, instead of having her killed like almost everyone else in the country wants...
Oh Lordy. Just wows. Basically I quoted this so it'd show up as green for me with my plugin so I could come back later and show you how wrong you are. Shouki's the shit, by the end you will love her character want to print out this post of yours and eat it, in effect to eat your own words.
A Black Falcon said:
Overall, 12 Kingdoms is a good show, and might be objectively better, but it's not nearly as much fun to watch as Gosick (referring to the comparison from earlier). Sorry.
Now this is just crazy talk.
A Black Falcon said:
Aria

Well sure, of course I agree that the plot is terrible, etc. Hating a show just for one of the voice actors, though, doesn't make sense. Maybe her characters are similar, but I imagine that they're at least a little different... either way though, the point is that I would say that it's the show that makes it bad, not the voice actor(s).
Seriously, the difference between Kugiloli's is essentially hair color and what they fight with, that's it, it's perfectly reasonable then to just hate them all. You wouldn't press someone with Arachnaphobia over exactly which spiders they fear would you? It's the same with Rie Kugimiya or whatever her name is.
Airan said:
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1-12 Hotori's voice takes some getting used to, but I've grown to like it in the end, certainly unique among all anime VAs, also helps that Omigawa's slightly more tolerable as Minchi in Hanasaku <3
Lol, that's how it started for me, next step is you'll love her voice, it's ok you're among friends.
zeroshiki said:
I eagerly await Haly's Denpa thread, macodin's Aria thread and firehawk's Sekaiichi Hatsukoi thread :p
Why do I get shafted with the Aria thread instead of say Doomed1?

Izayoi

Banned
Hanasaku Iroha 6. Tsundere girl continues to be obnoxious. Shy girl continues to be fucking adorable. Ohana continues to be Ohana. Good episode. What a curveball would it be if that cook guy was actually
thinking about the shy girl as opposed to Ohana?
Obviously that isn't the case, but it would throw everyone for a loop regardless. In any case, as long as shy girl is happy at the end of all this, I'll be happy as well.

Jex

Dresden said:
lmVH2l.jpg

Absurd and inventive all the way through.
Hey don't be that guy Dres. Drop a title.

Hanasaku Iroha 6 -
I was thinking those outfits doesn't fit the image of the inn. Does Tohru seem interested in Ohana or Nako? Is Minko jealous?
Tohru's character just got more interesting. It's picking up steam again.

zeroshiki

mAcOdIn said:
Why do I get shafted with the Aria thread instead of say Doomed1?

You're the first one that came to mind when thinking about someone with a strong reaction Aria. I can move you to Sekaiichi Hatsukoi if you want...

Cwarrior

Lafiel said:
It wasn't that consistent though!

Really? i wouldn't even consider that aspect to be genuinely good drama in a sense, at least compared to last seasons Wandering son in fact looking deeply at it - it seems continue the stereotype that cross-dressers are psychopaths, since the characters portrayal has been that of a one-dimensional villian, thus far. And even as the show naturally develops his motivations and such, i really doubt it's going push the crossdressing aspect that much.

Personally i was extremely enthusiastic about the first episode, and even past that i really haven't been that disappointed apart from episode 3, and some silly moments in episode 4 & 5. Still has potential to be one of my favorite shows in years! especially with episode 6 being so good.

The fact that his a cross -dresser doesn't make him a psychopaths, its the fact that his pretending to be a loli girl who died 10 years ago is.

trejo

Miyu TV 5

A lot of remembrance and yearning for long lost loves in this one. I guess you could call it the mono no aware episode of the show. Kind of weak in execution, overall.

Miyu TV 6

The most straightforward and by far the happiest episode thus far. The funniest, too, as we find out Miyu likes to troll poor taxi drivers for fun, basically. Also, her friends are all surprisingly chill considering all the weird shit that happens around them when Miyu's around.

So far so good.

Steroyd

Vampire Princess Miyu - 05

Lolz after the last episode she's back to. reggienotmyproblem.gif

Read or Die - 07

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h35m38s41.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h35m46s162.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h35m56s244.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h36m04s92.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h36m13s181.png

vlcsnap-2011-05-09-16h36m20s245.png

WHAT!? ....WHAT!?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 04:
Yukiatsu being a jerkface as per usual trying to break up the group again. Menma trying to cheer up Jintan was pretty cute, and Tsuruko unknowingly giving Menma some cooking tips was fun. Tsuruko's plan to out Yukiatsu's obsession was pretty right on so I wonder what happens next and how they deal with it. I kinda wish I waited till this was over so I could marathon it. *sigh*

AnoHana> HanaIro

iavi

flawfuls said:
It's one of the Tatami Galaxy specials.

Wait... what? There've been specials released?

Btw, is it me, or has the general direction of the Gintama anime... hmm, matured?
and I'm not just saying that because the last episode I watched had a scene in a titty bar
It seems a bit more developed all around.

InfiniteNine said:
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 04:
I kinda wish I waited till this was over so I could marathon it. *sigh*

You and me both. I really want to see the response to the events in EP4. The wait's kinda killing me.

HamPster PamPster said:
Anyone else get a MAR vibe from the artstyle / design of Blue Exorcist?

Anyone?

The world needs more MAR

I get more of a Soul Eater vibe.

Hajime no Ippo 4

Ippo is good at imagining things. If I could get punched by an imaginary opponent and actually fall back, there's no telling what I could accomplish.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 2

Sometimes life can be a bit harsh. Or maybe Miyu is just a total meanie.

This episode was surprisingly different to the opening, in nearly all respects.
Tonally, the pilot was consistently oppressive and uncomfortable, with very little breathing space for the audience, rather like an episode of Serial Experiments Lain. It was essentially shot like a horror. Where as here we only had a few of those 'heavy' moments, namely the opening and the ending.

This kind of makes sense. A lot of the story in the first episode was told through bystanders and victims, it's not surprising that they would be scared/disturbed. Much of this episode was shot through Miyu's eyes and as she is in control of the situation it's not shot in a 'scary way', as she is not scared.

The theme of the episode is clearly 'trapped in time', a concept which is explored in numerous ways. One of Chisato's friends tells her that she'll never grow up, a fate which is apparently shared by Miyu herself, according to a revelation during the final confrontation. This explains an early comment that the bunny-thing makes to Miyu. The final victims to be frozen are the mannequin women, whose tragic fate is made far worse by Miyu's apparent disinterest in their plight.

It is important that they are trapped in such a pitiful state because it gives the ending a real weight that it wouldn't have if they were freed or killed. The rest of the episode hadn't been particularly bothersome but "I have no mouth and I must scream" type-ending is always some bad shit, far more disturbing than a giant chameleon killing you.

It does seem fairly unreasonable that Miyu can do literally nothing for them. I mean, it's not really clear why she can't just eviscerate them with her flame, as death would clearly be the preferable option if their condition could not be reversed. At the very least being stacked in the fresh air would be nice!

I mean, even the Sandman is nice enough to not leave someone trapped in an un-dying state for eternity.

Neo C.

Miri said:
Btw, is it me, or has the general direction of the Gintama anime... hmm, matured?
and I'm not just saying that because the last episode I watched had a scene in a titty bar
It seems a bit more developed all around.
They just put the major share of the budget into the first few episodes + the important arc. After then the crew are going to complain about budget shortage and to pull the single background without animation troll.
I won't complaint. :p

Branduil

Blooming Flowers ABC 6

Good episode. The little directing touches like the POV shot when Ohana is sneaking up on her uncle make a big difference.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't post in this thread enough. :(

Hanasaku Iroha 6:

The show's sliding into a more standard slice-of-life pace now that Ohana has won over Nako and Minko (though she'll never admit it), though the Minko one might be lost again very soon as it seems Tohru has taken an liking to Ohana (partially confirmed at the end of Ep. 5 when he notes that Ohana was the only one who actively tried to stop him from going to the other in...). Oh, and Nako = every girl I've ever known with big boobs; so bloody shy about it that they're super timid (to the point where one of my friends actively had a breast reduction so she would feel more comfortable. And funnily enough, it's actually worked! o_O)

Ano Hana 4:

I had a feeling Yukiatsu was cross-dressing as Menma, but I really like the pacing of this series. This kind of show just wouldn't have worked as a longer show, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Nichijou 6:
Oh man, this show keeps bringing the laughs. I love bizarre, off the wall humor. But I especially love that it's not constant off the wall humor. It paces itself to bring the laughs, then give the audience a breather, then back to the lulz. KyoAni does not disappoint in the animation department.

I've also started watching the 1st season of Kimi ni Todoke, but I just can't marathon a show like this. It'd be like trying to stuff cake after cake after cake into my mouth. I can only eat so much before I start to feel sick. I mean, I love the show and all, but anything more than a couple episodes at a time and I just have to stop for a while (only on Ep 6 as a result...)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Windy tales 9 - Show is still amazing as ever, one particularly thing of note is the music does a incredible job of adding to the mood and atmosphere of what's on the screen, it's also very reminiscent of kenji kawai work in Maison ikkoku.

K-ON!! 13 - This show is somewhat a chore to get through at times, but when it's good - it's really good, and this episode despite focusing on lol asunnyan was pretty damn awesome in particular.

Digimon Xros Wars 35:
vlcsnap-2011-05-09-23h08m31s163.png

Those...eyes.

So, yeah. Mervamon is introduced and manages to prove how awesome she is in just one episode. It's great to see Nene taking a greater role in the action here, and there's some definite foreshadowing regarding her eventual confrontation with her brother, too. Overall, a very strong episode.

jman2050

Infinite Stratos 3

This is the stupidest goddamn show I am raging at every single character why did you silly Japanese folk buy this bullshit by the truckload I hate every single one of you.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite stratos 3 - Words cannot describe how awful this show is, why am i still watching it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom