• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jexhius said:
I'll meet you half-way and say that Ano Hana has certainly been more consistent, even with a drop off from the opener. Maybe I should be even more specific and say the writing and character work have remained tight throughout but I feel the direction is not as smooth as that opening episode.

I'll have to watch the episodes of Ano Hana again with attention to the directing work; I didn't notice any big change, but in these kinds of works I tend to focus on writing and character development above anything else. I've been very impressed with how sensitively the show has handled the main characters and their relationships.

As for Hanasaku Iroha, the quality is certainly a lot more uneven, even if that's to be expected in a longer work. I will strongly disagree with the notion that it's had a significant drop in quality since the first two episodes.

For starters episode one was really, really good, radiating excellence from every facet of it's being, so a drop-off from that is guaranteed. Episode two was pretty darn good and so was episode three, even if I feel that the content was a bit over the top it was still very entertaining. Episode four was a bit of set-up and five was out right average in all respects. However, episode six was actually pretty damn charming and reminded me of episode two.

I feel that Hanasaku Iroha has had lower lows and higher highs in it's run, so far. At some points it's experienced a sharp drop off from the opening, but at other times it's been great, so the picture is a bit more complicated then a simple "It's been a pattern of steady decline". (I'm aware that this qualifies as 'nitpicking', but hey, it's all in good fun.)

Yeah, significant drop in quality is being too harsh. I was just disappointed because the first episode made me think this could be one of my favorite shows of all time and by the third episode I realized it wouldn't be. It's still a solid, well-made show, but it's been settling into a comfortable "wacky hijinks at the bathhouse" routine that doesn't follow through on its initial potential. I know you can't keep a constant mood over twenty-six episodes, but it feels like the atmosphere deflated too quickly once they decided to treat the erotica author as a joke.

Now I haven't seen episode six yet, so if you say it recaptures the quality of episode two I can look forward to that after I finish this post.

Of course, I'm making excuses to an extent by saying stuff like "longer shows tend to be inconsistent", even though it's true. The real great anime, such as Mushi-Shi are awesome for twenty-six consecutive episodes.

Then you have Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which managed to remain pretty consistent over 110 episodes. I wish there were more shows like that.

Aigis said:
AnoHana 4
Lol. Dropped.

I don't understand why
crossdressing
can't be treated in a serious manner.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
My opinion on the Ano Hana vs Iroha. Basically going be comparing the last two episodes for each since I felt they were the weakest. Iroha hit a reset button due to the "Misunderstanding". The actual character development was still there and strong. It gave insight into both the boy cook, background on Min-Chi, and more development for Main girl. It also set some crucial plot lines down and potential ones. Such as Ohana's desire to keep her new family together and Boy cook's desire to succeed. Also, it slightly hinted at he maybe interested in Ohana too with the ending remark. But the... Oh he isn't leaving, it was something completely different, is just a bad way to approach a full episode since it weakens the previous one, and ruins the overarching view of the current one. I'm also going add Min-Chi going full Tsundere at the end was a terrible finish to the episode, only making the weakest episode worse.

Ano Hana on the other has continually remained strong with each episode. I think it has a much clearer focus than Iroha, but a lot of the actual character development has been questionable. Luigi Menma has only confirmed that fully. Unlike Iroha which eases me into plot points, it feels like it's forcing me to jump into them. It in no way been the pacing's fault, but it feels like it needed someone to ground it just a bit more to make it flow better, remove a few of the questionable parts, etc.

I don't feel like either lived up to the original premise, but I don't understand the hatred towards the shows.

Yeah, I confuse myself sometimes. Pity I can't write what I feel correctly. Heh.

One more edit: Min-Chi has been nothing but a terrible character so far in an otherwise fairly solid cast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
My opinion on the Ano Hana vs Iroha. Basically going be comparing the last two episodes for each since I felt they were the weakest. Iroha hit a reset button due to the "Misunderstanding". The actual character development was still there and strong. It gave insight into both the boy cook, background on Min-Chi, and more development for Main girl. It also set some crucial plot lines down and potential ones. Such as Ohana's desire to keep her new family together and Boy cook's desire to succeed. Also, it slightly hinted at he maybe interested in Ohana too with the ending remark. But the... Oh he isn't leaving, it was something completely different, is just a bad way to approach a full episode since it weakens the previous one, and ruins the overarching view of the current one. I'm also going add Min-Chi going full Tsundere at the end was a terrible finish to the episode, only making the weakest episode worse.

For the moment, Iroha is working in 2 episode arcs. A complication is introduced at the end of one episode and is resolved in the first 95% of the episode, before the last 5% is used to introduce the next complication. I don't know if it necessarily works, but since they've only got 20 minutes to work with, they can't do A B C stories concurrently fairly well.

Personally, I don't mind it, since thematically the show remains fairly consistent.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
You should have finished it regardless because Railgun is great!
I got 18 episodes through and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.

The same thing happened with Index II.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
I got 18 episodes through and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.

The same thing happened with Index II.

Index II had bullshit magic stuff and ugh, Index.

Railgun had Railgun! and 3 other annoying girls. Its more palatable to be sure.

Aigis said:

I must have misunderstood whatever objection to Ano Hana 4 caused you to drop the show. I couldn't think of anything besides
thinking Yukiatsu dressing up as Menma was silly
, but if it was something else I'd love to know. I didn't see anything to change my opinion that it's the best show of the season.

Blue Exorcist 4

Good episode. Still find bro annoying, but at least he can acknowledge Rin's usefulness. Guess we'll be in the character introduction phase for the next few weeks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Then you have Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which managed to remain pretty consistent over 110 episodes. I wish there were more shows like that
It wasn't that consistent though!

I don't understand why
crossdressing can't be treated
in a serious manner.
Really? i wouldn't even consider that aspect to be genuinely good drama in a sense, at least compared to last seasons Wandering son in fact looking deeply at it - it seems continue the stereotype that cross-dressers are psychopaths, since the characters portrayal has been that of a one-dimensional villian, thus far. And even as the show naturally develops his motivations and such, i really doubt it's going push the crossdressing aspect that much.

Yeah, significant drop in quality is being too harsh. I was just disappointed because the first episode made me think this could be one of my favorite shows of all time and by the third episode I realized it wouldn't be.
Personally i was extremely enthusiastic about the first episode, and even past that i really haven't been that disappointed apart from episode 3, and some silly moments in episode 4 & 5. Still has potential to be one of my favorite shows in years! especially with episode 6 being so good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lafiel said:
Really? i wouldn't even consider that aspect to be genuinely good drama in a sense, at least compared to last seasons Wandering son in fact looking deeply at it - it seems continue the stereotype that cross-dressers are psychopaths, since the characters portrayal has been that of a one-dimensional villian, thus far. And even as the show naturally develops his motivations and such, i really doubt it's going push the crossdressing aspect that much.
Pretty much this, yeah. The show continuing "all crossdressers are fucked up (or comedy relief)" stereotype found in anime factored into my dropping of it.

Lafiel said:
It wasn't that consistent though!

Aside from the annoyingly cartoonish Earth Cult, I thought it was quite consistent. There were stronger episodes, but everything pretty much stayed above a certain level of quality.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to claim that Ano Hana was going to do a serious focus on it or anything, just that I think that element can work without immediately turning the show into a laughingstock or trainwreck. (Of course, we'll have to see how the next episode handles the reaction). I think it's unfair to
call Yukiatsu a one-dimensional villain. He's not acting out of pure maliciousness; he's clearly messed up and running away from confronting himself. I really feel for him and look forward to getting more insight into his psyche.

Also, I don't think I've seen enough shows with psychopathic crossdressers for that to bother me. (And psychopathic is much too strong a word for Ano Hana.)

Personally i was extremely enthusiastic about the first episode, and even past that i really haven't been that disappointed apart from episode 3, and some silly moments in episode 4 & 5. Still has potential to be one of my favorite shows in years! especially with episode 6 being so good.

I wish I could say the same; I have a difficult time getting past the silly moments. I just saw Episode 6, and the first half with the consultant really annoyed me, although the second half was beautiful. Maybe if the show becomes more consistent in its later half, I will be able to say it's one of my favorite shows, but right now I can't.

zeroshiki

I'm not sure, are people looking for srsbsns in HanaIro? Because I don't really see the difference between the 1st and 2nd half of Episode 6 outside of some comedy bits in the first half.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
I'm not sure, are people looking for srsbsns in HanaIro? Because I don't really see the difference between the 1st and 2nd half of Episode 6 outside of some comedy bits in the first half.
Well i can see some objections to the whole
dressing up thing
i was feeling uncomfortable at that point in the episode, but they managed to do it in a tasteful direction.

Plus the first half has the scene where ohaha receives her money, which is by far one of the best scenes in the show.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
Well i can see some objections to the whole
dressing up thing
i was feeling uncomfortable at that point in the episode, but they managed to do it in a tasteful direction.

Plus the first half has the scene where ohaha receives her money, which is by far one of the best scenes in the show.

I loved the money scene, with Nako thinking that Ohana was angry about the money and then it turning into Ohana being really happy about it. I saw it coming but it was a nice scene nonetheless.

Her mother is still shitty though.

zeroshiki said:

I'm not looking for "srsbsns", just a tender and sensitive portrayal of human relationships. The second half of Episode 6 had no serious drama, but it had a nice blend of nostalgia and youthfulness that has typified Hanasaku Iroha at its best.

Lafiel said:

Yeah, that was a great scene.

Jex

jman2050 said:
If Nichijou had anywhere near the exaggerated zaniness and comedic timing of your average Looney Tunes short it might actually have been a good show.
It does, just once an episode!

trejo

Dawg Dayz 6

So boring. Every episode where the cats and dawgs are not beating the shit out of each other is a wasted episode.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku 5
Jesus, I started watching this out of pure morbid curiosity, but it's pretty funny. The visual gags going on are great, and while the actual "plot" of the two 30-year-old virgins getting together is rather mundane and uninteresting, it's MORE than made up for by the sex gods and their crazy shit.

Hajime no Ippo 3

This is what I love about Shounen. A bunch of dudes underestimate someone and he blows them away. Ippo sure can take a punch. Should be fun to see what he can do after some training.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 4
Still the tightest, best written show this season. MC continues to be an annoying and poorly written little twat, but it's becoming more and more apparent that it wouldn't work QUITE as well if the MC was written better. Most of what makes this writing so good is that it controls perception and gives hints so very tactfully and organically. You see everything through the eyes of the MC without being or relating to the MC so while the frame is the same, the perception is different. This was most apparent during the discussion with Ryuuko over suicide. You can tell that the idea of the MC offing himself visibly bothered her, but you can only imagine the way she was building herself up to ask about it.

Erio stopping her Aliens obsession is just a slight disappointment, but how early this happened (1/3rd of the way in), who knows, she might regress, plus the progress of her getting her memories back is bound to cause plenty of drama. It's just too bad her condition was acute. To have to deal with a handicap that's terminal but not life threatening and being that constant weight can be a terrifying prospect and would have forced some very interesting character development that doesn't get addressed alot in anime. Oh well, we'll see where it goes from here...

Oh, also, Meme is a master troll. She's totally just doing that sort of thing to fuck with his head, and on a certain level he knows it (which is why he's so resistant to it). I wonder if Meme is going to go BSoD and pull a Misato where it gets revealed (to the frame, as it's already been hinted at) that she's starved for love, attention, and intimacy. Here's an interesting idea: the end of "youth", will it come about during this show? Because this could become VERY INCREDIBLY interesting if the show turns out to really be about a boy learning of the depths his adolescent frame of reference didn't show.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
firehawk12 said:
For the moment, Iroha is working in 2 episode arcs. A complication is introduced at the end of one episode and is resolved in the first 95% of the episode, before the last 5% is used to introduce the next complication. I don't know if it necessarily works, but since they've only got 20 minutes to work with, they can't do A B C stories concurrently fairly well.

Personally, I don't mind it, since thematically the show remains fairly consistent.
So instead of one poor episode, we get two.

Just finished 06, and it only solidifies my position on Min-chi being a horrible character. Her character has been nothing but a Tsundere that people put up with... for convenient plot purposes. I think one of the conversations didn't end up with her not insulting either girl.

Jex

shintoki said:
Just finished 06, and it only solidifies my position on Min-chi being a horrible character. Her character has been nothing but a Tsundere that people put up with... for convenient plot purposes. I think one of the conversations didn't end up with her not insulting either girl.
She certainly doesn't sparkale.

Dresden

lmVH2l.jpg

Absurd and inventive all the way through.

LTTP: Hanasaku Iroha 1-3

Okay, well it seems I have a bunch of catching up to do as the show is now up to episode 6. I'm really enjoying it so far.

You guys all seemed to like Episodes 1 and 2 so there isn't much for me to say there.

I guess it falls to me to defend Episode 3 a little bit. Episode 3 was a bit over the top but it made up for it for being quite hilarious. Watching Ohana read the draft of that guy's erotic novel and imagining herself in the scene was quite amusing. I guess being a city girl Ohana is used to weird fucked-up erotic shit, this being Japan and everything. She was quite calm and curious while the guy was trying to learn how to bind people up from a book. There was some nice Nako fanservice at the end too, which seemed oddly out of place in this show. I guess nothing can escape fanservice in this day and age. I don't think this show is meant to be all that serious and if you went into Episodes 1 and 2 and failed to laugh at the funny parts then maybe it's all SRS BSNS to you, but I liked Episode 3 just for the random lulz.

I'll need to catch up more but it's late here and I should probably be asleep. Probably.

edit: And yes, Ohana has the sex hair. Goddamn does she have the sex hair. Hnnnnnng. She's also voiced by Elsee from TWGOK, who tones back the high-pitched shrillness we got in that show.

edit2: The OP of this show is really fantastic.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cosmicblizzard said:
Hajime no Ippo 3

This is what I love about Shounen. A bunch of dudes underestimate someone and he blows them away. Ippo sure can take a punch. Should be fun to see what he can do after some training.
You are in for a ride. So gooooooooood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom