• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
flawfuls said:
One Piece: Omatsuri Danshaku to Himitsu no Shima

Excellent little movie. The animation was fantastic and even the story got pretty interesting at the end. I usually ignore this random shounen movies because they are always filler and usually kind of bad, but I guess there are some good ones. Any other good shounen movies you have to recommended?

OP movie 6 is an anomaly since it's VERY different from the actual series.

Anyway, Strong World (OP movie 10) is very good since it actually IS canon (or at least partially canon). There's also that Bleach hell movie which is apparently good, though I haven't seen it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
zeroshiki said:
This was directed by Hosoda Mamoru. Yes, I've become a Hosoda bitch. No, most shounen jump movies tend to be crappy because they are by definition, filler.
More like cash-ins.

Hajime no Ippo 2

Lol, Ippo sucks. I'm guessing he'll get a hit in or something, but still lose. Should impress old trainer and the opponent, but not enough to blow his load early.

Articalys

trejo said:
Well now I, too, know where Lain's avatar is from. Thank you all for dragging me a little bit deeper down that rabbit hole.
Is this something that's not allowed to be stated outright, and if so can I at least get a hint where to start searching?

Lain

Articalys said:
Is this something that's not allowed to be stated outright, and if so can I at least get a hint where to start searching?
ShindoL's Becoming a girl, touching story about a girl so generous, she bends backwards to make everyone happy.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Articalys said:

[ShindoL] Onnanoko ni Natte (Becoming A Girl)

Articalys

I see. It may have been an odd request, but two different people commenting on it made me insanely curious myself.
I am not quite sure if I regret that decision yet.

EDIT: Conclusion reached: continue with previous protocol of not reading that genre.

Nichijou 6
Tenuously holding my interest with long-form set pieces like the deer and cockroach scenes, but not the fishing one. Any humor in Mai's role has completely worn off for me; I guess those parts are less my style.
Best Janken and second best jumprope eyecatches yet, though.

Jex

Tiger and Bunny 6

Well, this may be a set of standard (very standard) superhero tales without much of a twist, but that doesn't make it a bad show. In fact, it's generally very entertaining.

Ugly CG fights though. Ah well, at least the car destruction was well animated.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nichijou 6 - Had some great moments that remind me on why i enjoy watching this show every week. The professor stuff is still a bore though.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Nichijou 6 - Had some great moments that remind me on why i enjoy watching this show every week. The professor stuff is still a bore though.
You're making Jason, of blogsuki, cry right now.

trejo

Nichijou 6

Super Deer Fighter IV is by far the best thing that has come out of this show. Everything else this episode was a dud, as usual. Girl and robot segment especially so.

And no way shark beats rock. I don't buy that.

Dresden

Nichijou 6:

So moe.

sGngXl.jpg

Steroyd

Nichijou - 06

The episodes are starting to have more frequency dishing out the lols throughout the episodes rather than select segments, with the deer fight taking top honours.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
K-ON!! 8 - Just a bunch of moeblobs reminiscing and wondering about what their future holds for them, yet it's so awesome!

Jex

Nichijou 6

Just watch the coin, deer and camping sections.

Maybe after the series is over someone will edit the whole thing down to like, five or six consistently funny episodes.

Airan

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1-12 - After Madoka, I saw this being recommended. Possibly the only series where I'll never skip the opening sequence. Just so cute and a great song too (I thought the chorus was repetitive at first but it grew on me in the end, and Hotori whipping a serving tray around like nunchucks more than makes up for it).

Interesting use of a manga chapter somewhere early for the last episode (I guess that's why they kept chapter/vol numbers for episode titles), but the theme of that chapter definitely made for a nice closing so the choice makes sense imo. Hotori's voice takes some getting used to, but I've grown to like it in the end, certainly unique among all anime VAs, also helps that Omigawa's slightly more tolerable as Minchi in Hanasaku <3

Ano Hana 4 - It only clicked when the chase scene began, combined with Yukiatsu's small scene at his room beforehand did I realize what was to happen. Oh god, and I thought he was just being extremely creepy, hiding that in his closet for uh... personal use D:

Steroyd

Vampire Princess Miyu - 04

Yup episode 3 has the happiest ending so far *trollface*. This episode shows that Miyu does care, now I want to know her situation more now.

zeroshiki

Airan said:
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1-12 - After Madoka, I saw this being recommended. Possibly the only series where I'll never skip the opening sequence. Just so cute and a great song too (I thought the chorus was repetitive at first but it grew on me in the end, and Hotori whipping a serving tray around like nunchucks more than makes up for it).

Interesting use of a manga chapter somewhere early for the last episode (I guess that's why they kept chapter/vol numbers for episode titles), but the theme of that chapter definitely made for a nice closing so the choice makes sense imo. Hotori's voice takes some getting used to, but I've grown to like it in the end, certainly unique among all anime VAs, also helps that Omigawa's slightly more tolerable as Minchi in Hanasaku <3

Welcome!!!

Steroyd said:
Vampire Princess Miyu - 04

Yup episode 3 has the happiest ending so far *trollface*. This episode shows that Miyu does care, now I want to know her situation more now.
The Vampire Miyu TV show was basically a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre long before Madoka. However the OAV remains the best.

Steroyd

Metal Gear?! said:
The Vampire Miyu TV show was basically a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre long before Madoka. However the OAV remains the best.

I'd put it under whatever the hell the Vampire genre is under before I'd think to call it a magical girl show.

I think I found the single greatest video for transcribe audio ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmFbgHqlMP0&NR=1 "Engrish is funny"

"returning to the communists can you do you want try to do what event"

Steroyd said:
I'd put it under whatever the hell the Vampire genre is under before I'd think to call it a magical girl show.
Watch it again. They even gave her a cute white ~animal~ mascot who is actually sinister/horrific who wasn't in the manga.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Metal Gear: He's watching it for the first time and is only up to episode 4. How about you let him work on that first.

trejo

Hidan no Aria 4

Well, I knew what I was getting into but nothing could have prepared me for that.

Holmes, Lupin, Hysteria mode, magical hair, gun-kata, sub shenanigans, etc. I said wow.

Nichijou 6
Hilarious as usual. And the animation was totally fantastic. I love this show; what more can I say? I hope it can keep up its quality throughout its run.
For rankings, I'd put this episode in the upper half. But I think I'll give up on a specific order.

Kettch

OreImo Commentaries 9/10

Kirino/Kuroneko/Saori and Kirino/Kanako in these ones. Still not the biggest Kirino fan, but her little sister obsession was great in these.

Iroha 6

Best episode yet, hope it keeps up the quality.

Jex

Hanasaku Iroha 6

Pretty solid last episode which I'm thankful for after a fairly weak outing last week.

It wasn't fantastic, like, say, the opener, but it was more reminiscent of the earlier episodes. There was still some hijinks and fanservice but it was largely found in the opening scenes and nowhere else.

Stuff be brewing.

Jexhius said:
Hanasaku Iroha 6

Pretty solid last episode which I'm thankful for after a fairly weak outing last week.

It wasn't fantastic, like, say, the opener, but it was more reminiscent of the earlier episodes. There was still some hijinks and fanservice but it was largely found in the opening scenes and nowhere else.

Stuff be brewing.

*food falls out of my chopsticks*

Neo C.

Lotte no Omocha 5

Everything is cute and all, but now I wonder what happens when Lotte realizes that Asuha is
her half sister

Jerk

Banned
Jexhius said:
Hanasaku Iroha 6

Stuff be brewing

Indeed.

The last 30 seconds was definitely my favorite. Hijinks may still abound, but the show continues to stay admirably grounded.

Jex

Devil Lady 5: The one with the lesbian shark

Well, I guess all those undertones have suddenly become overtones! In typical Devil Lady fashion, this can only lead to one thing.

The show really works because of how straight they play it. The writing is remarkably grounded and no-one ever winks at the camera or acts with anything approaching genre-savvy. The characters may not be particularly deep, but they aren't written like stupid anime archetypes either.

Productions values are hella sketchy though, with faces and clothing looking rather off most of the time. The action in this episode certainly lacked kineticism and the second part of the fight was poorly lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom