• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Lafiel said:
Infinite stratos 3 - Words cannot describe how awful this show is, why am i still watching it?
And you think it's bad now...just wait. Just wait.

Uchip said:
kind of feel like im missing out on the awfulness

Join us.

Speaking of IS, I've seen something that I never thought I'd see. No, I don't know why I ended up seeing this, but it gave way to what may be one of the greatest lines ever.

Also I need to catch up on everything.

Kettch

K-ON!! 13 - This show is somewhat a chore to get through at times, but when it's good - it's really good, and this episode despite focusing on lol asunnyan was pretty damn awesome in particular.

K-On was enjoyable overall, but that was the one episode that I thought was especially good. Definitely my favorite from the series.

Articalys

ISML Day 7
Interest in this is slowly dying, I guess; most of the drama is gone after this round. I don't think I'll post anything else about it until the end; see http://www.internationalsaimoe.com if you want to follow it yourself.

I'm just going to let results speak for themselves this time. Matches are linked to their respective global vote majority map.

Yuki Nagato def. Hinagiku Katsura, 4784-4611
Kanade Tachibana def. Eucliwood Hellscythe, 5748-3580
Shana def. 2010 ISML champion Mio Akiyama, 4927-4719
Mikoto Misaka def. 2010 Saimoe champion Azusa Nakano 4829-4821

The above four winners are now the only undefeated characters.

Kaname Chidori def. Ami Mizuno, 4657-2026 (exhibition match)
a.k.a. where the fuck is FMP Season 3

Main matches resume next Sunday the 15th. Tomorrow is five bonus matches, including one with Kyubey in it.

AnoHana 04 - A bit late, as I watched this days ago, but I put off writing about it for some reason... anyway, yeah, it was really good, as expected.

Yukiatsu is messed up, obviously, etc. It's a great episode, but I'm not sure how much there is for me to say... I do like how the four of them are together now though. It is impressive the lengths Yukiatsu went to to do his impersonation, though, even shaving his legs? Huh. He failed one important thing though, having a good escape plan... whoops. :)

Also, I liked that Jinta finally told the others what Menma was actually saying, as opposed to Yukiatsu's lies. It took him maybe a little too long, but once he did he did a decent job. Giving them the food she made as a nice touch too, of course they don't believe him that she made it (or some don't anyway, like Tsuruko) but still it was good to do. :)

So yeah, I liked it a lot.

Nichijou 06 - Still the best show of the season. This episode was great, maybe the best episode yet -- almost everything in the episode was great. The only ones that even maybe weren't funny were the two "Go and Soccer Club" bits, I just don't get them... I mean, the idea of a "Go and Soccer Club" is silly, but what's so funny about it just having two members, apparently, one of whom is a girl who never almost responds to anything the guy member says to her? I don't quite get it. And yeah I don't get the "Helvetica Standard" joke either. I know Helvetica is a font of course (commonly used as a default on Macs, while PCs usually use Times New Roman), but beyond that?

Apart from that though this was just so great. The "Deer Fighter" scene was pretty absurd, good stuff for sure. Too bad she didn't say anything to the class though, I know that was part of the point but having her just stand there doing nothing was kind of lame, while the president's actions were awesome. She did have some amusing reactions for sure though, anyway. Also the professor and robot and cat cockroach scene was silly and good stuff, like just about all of their scenes.

Also, that teacher, she should have said something during the 'passing drawings back and forth and occasionally yelling stuff out' part, darnit. I know, that nobody reacted was amusing, but odd (that was the point, etc, but still). Don't change anything else about the scene, though -- it was great stuff. Quite funny. :)

Even Mai's trolling was funny this time, when she
let that fish go after catching it, and then ate McDonald's food while the other two had nothing because of idiot girl's messups
... so cruel... :D I hope the show can keep up this level of quality, it's been really good so far and might be getting even better.

Aria The Scarlet Ammo 03-04 -- Yes, I watched these. I must hate myself.

Actually, I just couldn't resist continuing after hearing about the ep. 4 spoiler. I wasn't sure if I was going to watch that one, though, until I watched episode 3, which is by far the best episode of the show so far. Episode 3 is basically a long Speed reference. Sure, they change a few details, such as adding cars with guns and removing the conclusive ending, but this is Speed. There's a bus, it's got a bomb on it that will go off if its speed goes too low, and our heroes need to save the people on the bus, and do.

Also, they reference a past event when the MC's brother was killed in a boat hijack. Remember that Speed 2 was, of course, set on a boat.

But yeah, it was decent. The episode's mostly action, and it had some fun stuff. So, knowhing that if I was ever going to watch it it had to be right after a half-decent episode (the only one so far), I watched ep. 4. It was indeed back to being mediocre, until the ending with that so ridiculous reveal and the bad girl's evil magic hair powers. That part was so ridiculous it was kind of silly.

Also, we learn backstory. Aria's mother was convicted of some of the crimes done by the badguy, but she's actually innocent; instead one of the members of the MC's harem claims that she's the real villain behind all of them, takes credit for killing the MC's brother, etc. So how are you going to stay in the harem after announcing that to our hero, anyway? Also, Holmes and Lupin, seriously? As I said before, just watch Milky Holmes, at least that used it mostly for comedy instead of being half serious like this stupid thing. They did succeed at being absurd, but not good. Also, that hair... I wonder what other superpowers we will see, now that we know that magic hair is possible?

So stupid... :)

Sorry though, Aria is still no IS. Not at all.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
ISML Day 7
Interest in this is slowly dying, I guess; most of the drama is gone after this round. I don't think I'll post anything else about it until the end; see http://www.internationalsaimoe.com if you want to follow it yourself.

I'm just going to let results speak for themselves this time. Matches are linked to their respective global vote majority map.

Yuki Nagato def. Hinagiku Katsura, 4784-4611
Kanade Tachibana def. Eucliwood Hellscythe, 5748-3580
Shana def. 2010 ISML champion Mio Akiyama, 4927-4719
Mikoto Misaka def. 2010 Saimoe champion Azusa Nakano 4829-4821

The above four winners are now the only undefeated characters.

Kaname Chidori def. Ami Mizuno, 4657-2026 (exhibition match)
a.k.a. where the fuck is FMP Season 3

Main matches resume next Sunday the 15th. Tomorrow is five bonus matches, including one with Kyubey in it.

Fuck yeah, Railgun over that disgusting moe blob.

No idea how Shana beat Mio though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Angel cop 1 - Angel is a bad ass, she'd shoot a child, as long as it meant a terrorist dying alongside it. Those motherfucking terrorists!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RurouniZel said:
I don't post in this thread enough. :(

Hanasaku Iroha 6:

The show's sliding into a more standard slice-of-life pace now that Ohana has won over Nako and Minko (though she'll never admit it), though the Minko one might be lost again very soon as it seems Tohru has taken an liking to Ohana (partially confirmed at the end of Ep. 5 when he notes that Ohana was the only one who actively tried to stop him from going to the other in...). Oh, and Nako = every girl I've ever known with big boobs; so bloody shy about it that they're super timid (to the point where one of my friends actively had a breast reduction so she would feel more comfortable. And funnily enough, it's actually worked! o_O)
I know everyone seems to think dude is going to want Ohana, but that just seems way too obvious. This is a show that ended with a guy going crazy and creepily approaching Ohana before cutting to credits and nothing came out of that, remember.

I've also started watching the 1st season of Kimi ni Todoke, but I just can't marathon a show like this. It'd be like trying to stuff cake after cake after cake into my mouth. I can only eat so much before I start to feel sick. I mean, I love the show and all, but anything more than a couple episodes at a time and I just have to stop for a while (only on Ep 6 as a result...)
This is why you watch things as they air, so you're forced to pace yourself by necessity. :lol
I'll be the first to admit that shoujo manga pacing over a long period of time can be a bit much.

Lafiel said:
K-ON!! 13 - This show is somewhat a chore to get through at times, but when it's good - it's really good, and this episode despite focusing on lol asunnyan was pretty damn awesome in particular.
Was that the "mono no aware all my friends are going to leave me" episode?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Angel cop 2 - Pretty bad ass with a AWESOME twist at the end

Angel cop 3 - To much talking, not enough action.

trejo

Angel Cop 3

NIPPON BANZAI!

In a story with nazi jewish terrorist commies, America is the real villain.

Next episode seems like it'll deliver the goods. Can't wait!

Jex

Angel Cop 2

Show's getting a bit..odd. "This little girl is ON FIRE?"

Also, hardcore torture? Dayum.

Angel Cop 3

Cyrbogs, psychic warfare and girls with rocket launchers. But only in the last few minutes! The rest of the episode was devoted to laboriously going over this shows totally serious plot.

Ah well, looks like it's all going to get crazy in episode four.

You are Umasou
Holy shit was that good. Badass dinosaurs doing badass things and it had a lot of heart. Haven't see a kids movie as good as that in a long while.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
You are Umasou
Holy shit was that good. Badass dinosaurs doing badass things and it had a lot of heart. Haven't see a kids movie as good as that in a long while.
Time to watch Land Before Time!

Articalys

Calcaneus said:
Why are you guys watching Angel Cop btw?
Somewhere in the last week this thread turned into Mystery Science Anime Theater 3000.
I'm still trying to figure it out myself, since I'm probably one of the few people on earth that doesn't find great joy in watching so-bad-they're-good B-movies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fun is not in the watching of the show, that is actually quite a horrid experience.

As they say misery loves company, so it's a bit like cutting yourself to release endorphins. Except other people are cutting you too.

I'm not sure where this metaphor is going.

Calcaneus

I guess I understand it, anything bad can be made more fun with other people. Watching Space Thunder Kids with GAF that one time was a bewildering and hilarous experience.

I just thought it was odd going into this thread and seeing a bunch of people commenting on Angel Cop of all things.

Dororon Enma-kun Meramera 2 (Otherwise known as "Princess Yukiko in Bondage")

I'm so torn on this show. It's clearly well-made; I like the animation and character designs. I laughed more in this episode than the first. But I still can't like this show; its brand of wackiness just doesn't work as a whole and I'm not entirely sure why (though its unabashed perviness is probably part of it). I might try it again later, but for now I'm stopping.

Branduil

Calcaneus said:
I guess I understand it, anything bad can be made more fun with other people. Watching Space Thunder Kids with GAF that one time was a bewildering and hilarous experience.

I just thought it was odd going into this thread and seeing a bunch of people commenting on Angel Cop of all things.
Oh wow you just reminded me of that.

That's a must-watch, truly.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
You are Umasou
You made a wise choice! What a movie. I just rewatched it yesterday.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hello anime gaf! This season I've been watching Hanasaku Iroha - don't know why really... it's sorta an easy slosh of slice of life, but it's also not all that great. I like the pissy chick, but everyone else isn't all that entertaining. Is there something better to waste my time with? maybe something from last season that I can burn through quick like?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Brobzoid said:
hello anime gaf! This season I've been watching Hanasaku Iroha - don't know why really... it's sorta an easy slosh of slice of life, but it's also not all that great. I like the pissy chick, but everyone else isn't all that entertaining. Is there something better to waste my time with? maybe something from last season that I can burn through quick like?
Dororon Enma-kun Meramera is the best show of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom