• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Brobzoid said:
hello anime gaf! This season I've been watching Hanasaku Iroha - don't know why really... it's sorta an easy slosh of slice of life, but it's also not all that great. I like the pissy chick, but everyone else isn't all that entertaining. Is there something better to waste my time with? maybe something from last season that I can burn through quick like?

Wandering Son.

Brobzoid said:
hello anime gaf! This season I've been watching Hanasaku Iroha - don't know why really... it's sorta an easy slosh of slice of life, but it's also not all that great. I like the pissy chick, but everyone else isn't all that entertaining. Is there something better to waste my time with? maybe something from last season that I can burn through quick like?

Haven't seen you in here in a while. What do you like again, because there's stuff for everyone this season?

firehawk12 said:
I must have seen 4 or 5 of the movies and I don't remember anything about them.
I only remember the first an second ones. The first because it was my favorite movie growing up and the second because it was so disappointing to even my 7 year old self. Then there was something about an island or something. LOST

Hellsing321 said:
I only remember the first an second ones. The first because it was my favorite movie growing up and the second because it was so disappointing to even my 7 year old self.

I really liked the first Land Before Time film. It's a shame they had to sully its name with all those direct-to-video sequels.

mAcOdIn

Brobzoid said:
Burn through Natsume Yuujinchou and Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou in preparation for it's third season next season.

Steroyd

Brobzoid said:

Puelle Magia Madoka Magica. 3 eps minmum.

Izayoi

Banned
Nichijou 6. Fucking hilarious, every second of it.

xTNEw.png

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
wandering son seems like something firehawk would recommend... >_>

Any slice of life or sports shows recently that were any good? If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember a soccer show either last season or the one preceding it. was that anything worthwhile?

Brobzoid said:

Any slice of life or sports shows recently that were any good? If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember a soccer show either last season or the one preceding it. was that anything worthwhile?
Don't knock it till you've tried it! And firehawk hated it for some reason...

Jex

Brobzoid said:
Lol lol lol.

Oh, sorry for that, bit of an inside joker as firehawk12 hated on it for no good reason.

Brobzoid

Jexhius said:
Lol lol lol.

Oh, sorry for that, bit of an inside joker as firehawk12 hated on it for no good reason.

Hellsing321 said:
Don't knock it till you've tried it! And firehawk hated it for some reason...
what!? how could firehawk hate something that so obviously sets out to thwart conventions? and gender conventions, at that! Has he rescinded his opinion that subversion is the epitome of entertainment?

:eek:

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Brobzoid said:
what!? how could firehawk hate something that so obviously sets out to thwart conventions? and gender conventions, at that! Has he rescinded his opinion that subversion is the epitome of entertainment?

He likes the manga, anime - not so much!

trejo

Halycon said:
The fun is not in the watching of the show, that is actually quite a horrid experience.

As they say misery loves company, so it's a bit like cutting yourself to release endorphins. Except other people are cutting you too.

I'm not sure where this metaphor is going.
I've a feeling it's going towards another link to a Linkin Park video.

Branduil

Brobzoid said:

Try Soredemo.

And the Time of Eve movie.

Brobzoid said:
You're thinking of Giant Killing.

I haven't seen all of it, but what I've seen is pretty good. If you're a fan of sports anime, then I think you'll like it.

Hanasaku Iroha 4-6:

I'm pretty impressed how quickly GAF turned on this show. I guess people thought they were getting some life-changing experience. Instead what they got was a sweet, quirky vaguely slice-of-life confection. Though with a planned 26 episodes run, it's possible they are just setting us up for the promised coming-of-age story.

I'm reminded pretty forcefully of my journey through (the too damn long by half) Eureka Seven, though at least the characters here are all likable and quite enjoyable from episode 1. Yes, even Tsundere-Girl, she has her reasons for being the way she is and if you can't deal with it, it's your problem as the show is pretty damned clear about Tsundere-Girl's backstory.

Anyways, I'm gonna go with haters gonna hate here, I really really like this show and while I'm doing okay with the current slice-of-life angle, I think it has the potential to be something more and I'm hoping that's what P.A. Works has planned. A 26 episode show these days is pretty long, after all. We're all used to the short-attention-span 12-13 episodes and shit needs to happen RIGHT FUCKING NOW or we all whine about how bored we are. This show has the potential for being a slow burn into something really amazing, so make it happen, P.A. Works!

Oh, right, and the OP is really fucking goddamned good. It summarizes the whole feeling of the show succinctly and it's also a good song in and of itself.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Unknown Soldier said:
Hanasaku Iroha 4-6:

Nah i don't think GAF has turned on the show, it's just been rather inconsistent in places, you should see some of the bitching about it in other places past the first two episodes!

Personally i agree with everything you said in that post, apart from the OP being good.:)

Articalys

Lafiel said:
Personally i agree with everything you said in that post, apart from the OP being good.:)
The opening "namida no ame ga" line makes me want to stab my ears with a knife. The rest of the song is fine.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Nah i don't think GAF has turned on the show, it's just been rather inconsistent in places, you should see some of the bitching about it in other places past the first two episodes!
Yeah, I think this is a fair summary.

alstein

Brobzoid said:

Moshidora. Already finished- but 10 eps. It's about a girl who becomes a baseball team manager and tries to use business management to improve the team. It doesn't try to be great, it's a little generic, but it's a fun, happy series.

That said, I expect to be the only one liking this.

Lain

A Black Falcon said:
Also, we learn backstory. Aria's mother was convicted of some of the crimes done by the badguy, but she's actually innocent; instead one of the members of the MC's harem claims that she's the real villain behind all of them, takes credit for killing the MC's brother, etc. So how are you going to stay in the harem after announcing that to our hero, anyway? Also, Holmes and Lupin, seriously? As I said before, just watch Milky Holmes, at least that used it mostly for comedy instead of being half serious like this stupid thing. They did succeed at being absurd, but not good. Also, that hair... I wonder what other superpowers we will see, now that we know that magic hair is possible?

So stupid... :)

Sorry though, Aria is still no IS. Not at all.
Actually
she takes credit for fucking Kinji's brother and having him with her and the bad guys (he's my lover). That was the most silly moment of the entire episode for me.

I still find Aria way better than IS. It's silly fun, contrary to boring sleep that IS was for me.

trejo

Enma-kun 5

Another fun episode and Enpi is a welcome addition to the show. There's really not much else one can say on the subject.

Lain

Battle Girls 5
Fun episode, as usual. I sort of assume that Date is Hideyoshi's teacher given her behavior in episode 2 and this one, which would mean she was the one performing the ritual in the first episode.

Steroyd

Read Or Die - 08

Middle school girl turns down middle school boy because she has the hots for middle school girl. lol japaneese love triangles.

And Imy brain keeps thinking I'm being gender trolled with Ginia, no matter how many times s/he admits to being a boy.

Jex

Sai Mecha results are in for the latest round:

Evangelion UNIT 01 vs Gunbuster (61.13% vs 38.87%)

Tachikoma vs Giant Robo (63.64% vs 36.36%)

VF-1 Valkyrie
vs Evangelion UNIT 02 (56.7% vs 43.4%)

Gao Gai Gar vs Sinanju (40.96% vs 59.04%)

Big O vs Zaku II (45.98% vs 54.02%)

Zeta Gundam vs Escaflowne (42.22% vs 57.78%)

YF-19 Excalibur vs Scopedog (73.56% vs 26.44)

Gurren Lagann vs Arbalest (67.37% vs 32.63%)

BONUS ROUND

Kamina vs Quattro Bajeena/Char Aznable vs Harry Ord vs General Baldr (38.1% vs 35.45% vs 17.46% vs 8.99%)

Poor Harry.

hamchan

tiff said:
I think at least some people turned on it after episode 3.

I nearly turned on it because that was an especially weird episode with the bondage and the 3 schoolgirl yuri fantasy. Thankfully the episodes after weren't as weird.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brobzoid said:
I can't remember if you liked comedies though. There's a lot of those that would be at least recommended. Otherwise, it's a sea of haremshit unfortunately.

Brobzoid said:

Lafiel said:
He likes the manga, anime - not so much!
Yep, in a nutshell. And even then, I've started to turn around on Shimura and think that Aoi Hana is the superior text because of the way a lot of issues are resolved (or not really resolved).

It's still a good show, just rather disappointing on the handling of the theme - TransAmerica it ain't. I joke, but I think it's fair to say that MM! dealt with crossdressing in two episodes way more than Wandering Son did in 11.5 episodes. Heck, I think Ouran had a more consistent message about gender identity

Brobzoid said:
Giant Killing is alright, if you're into the whole shounen haato thing. It's basically dudes talking to themselves for 15 minutes, powering up for 5 minutes, and kicking the ball for 1 minute.

Hellsing321 said:
I only remember the first an second ones. The first because it was my favorite movie growing up and the second because it was so disappointing to even my 7 year old self. Then there was something about an island or something. LOST
Lost would be so much better if Jack and Kate were replaced with Dinosaurs...

Brobzoid

firehawk12 said:
Giant Killing is alright, if you're into the whole shounen haato thing. It's basically dudes talking to themselves for 15 minutes, powering up for 5 minutes, and kicking the ball for 1 minute.
blargh! no fun.

will be checking out Moshidora though. some baseball is always fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brobzoid said:
blargh! no fun.

will be checking out Moshidora though. some baseball is always fun.
Oh no, I'm sure you'd hate it. :lol:

Although, I think if they did a show that took out all the Drucker stuff, it would have been a serviceable Adachi clone.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Branduil said:
Yeah, I would also recommend this.
jman2050 said:
I never turned on HanaIro, it just wasn't all that great to begin with.
I dunno. The first episode was really impressive. I still enjoy it, but the subject matter feels lighter and slower in a way that I usually loathe in other anime. I find it surprisingly bearable here, but I just expected more from the first episode.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Yep, in a nutshell. And even then, I've started to turn around on Shimura and think that Aoi Hana is the superior text because of the way a lot of issues are resolved (or not really resolved).

It's still a good show, just rather disappointing on the handling of the theme - TransAmerica it ain't. I joke, but I think it's fair to say that MM! dealt with crossdressing in two episodes way more than Wandering Son did in 11.5 episodes. Heck, I think Ouran had a more consistent message about gender identity.
I'm pretty sure Wandering Son is superior because it has a more interesting and developed cast with which a better story is told.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I'm pretty sure Wandering Son is superior because it has a more interesting and developed cast with which a better story is told.
There's clearly more craft in Aoi Hana than there has been in Wandering Son, which is why there's much more depth in a text that has half the number of chapters.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you just want a show about children going to school - a classier version of Mitsudomoe or Azumanga or whatever, then fine. If you're looking for an examination of gender, sexuality and relationships, Aoi Hana is very much the richer text. The muted aimlessness of the post-anime chapters makes me reconsider the veracity of the project, considering it looks like she's aiming for yet another reboot.

Cwarrior

tiff said:
I think at least some people turned on it after episode 3.

For me it's just been the consistent downward slope of each episode not being as good as the last, so far.

Last two episodes where just meh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom