• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
There's clearly more craft in Aoi Hana than there has been in Wandering Son, which is why there's much more depth in a text that has half the number of chapters.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
If you just want a show about children going to school - a classier version of Mitsudomoe or Azumanga or whatever, then fine. If you're looking for an examination of gender, sexuality and relationships, Aoi Hana is very much the richer text. The muted aimlessness of the post-anime chapters makes me reconsider the veracity of the project, considering it looks like she's aiming for yet another reboot.
I guess I was looking for a really good show, not that I'm talking about the manga either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I guess I was looking for a really good show, not that I'm talking about the manga either.
All of this is subjective anyway. Personally, I believe Aoi Hana is the better show because it doesn't shy away from its themes; I don't think my opinion will change, unless they make a S2 where it turns out all the girls end up being boringly hetero.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
All of this is subjective anyway. Personally, I believe Aoi Hana is the better show because it doesn't shy away from its themes; I don't think my opinion will change, unless they make a S2 where it turns out all the girls end up being boringly hetero.
But even the anime director of Aoi Hana said that he decided to make the show more about the student/teacher relationship!

Articalys

Elsewhere, Section23 Films, one of the remnants of ADV, decided to license Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls for a dual-audio release on DVD/BD. Is there really a market for this stuff?

(source)

Jex

Dororon 5

Bee molestation? Check. Strip dodge-ball? Check? Inflation fetish? Check.

Go Nagai? Confirmed.

tiff

Banned
Articalys said:
Elsewhere, Section23 Films, one of the remnants of ADV, decided to license Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls for a dual-audio release on DVD/BD. Is there really a market for this stuff?

(source)
I lasted through the whole thing.

Not something I'd pay $70 for though.

Dresden

Enma-kun 5:

The episode drags at the start - the jokes aren't funny, the setup isn't interesting, and the villain is lame. The second half was good, though; overall, a decent episode.

Go_Ly_Dow

InfiniteNine said:
I don't think people really turned on HanaIro. It's just not as awesome as AnoHana.

394cQ.jpg

iavi

Haven't had a chance to post in here lately, so imma info dump.

Hen Zemi 2

Another one of these 10min blasters... The hell is this? A new trend? Azazel-san is the same way.

Anyway, all the people look like cows, and dude just made main girl drink piss. It's oddly interesting though, I'll give it that. It has these smart lines every so often that keep me engaged.

Ao no Excorcist

Real soul-eaterish, which isn't bad. I do wish we'd get somebody outside of the typical typecasting already. I haven't seen the latest ep though.

Gintama

Sentimentality, continued Gintama sentimentality. Take that how you will. This latest ep with Sa-chan wasn't as strong as the previous one.

Deadman Wonderland

I'm an episode from dropping this garbage. I haven't seen the latest one available, so that'll be the kicker. I'm starting to wonder how I ever enjoyed the manga.

Nichijou

Ep 6 was the funniest ep yet, my god. I had started losing faith in the show too! from passing the pics back n forth, to the deer wrasslin, I was cracking up.

Twgok

Fucking Manglobe. They just don't have it, or something. That arc with Haqua actually bored me. Haven't seen the latest ep.

Hanasaku Iroha

Fun. But that little crush arc did nothing for me. Tohru's gonna admit that he wants to smang Ohana, Minko is gonna shank her with a kitchen knife, Tohru's gonna shank her, quiet chick is gonna shank him, head chef is gonna shank her, uncle is gonna shank him, grandma is gonna shank him, author finally gets arrested, and the place goes under. I can already see the ending. It'll be a glorious trainwreck.

AnoHana

Now we get somewhere. It looks like each of them have their own little way of dealing with her death. One draws hasty pictures. One fucking cosplays. One thinks that he can see her.... Anaru and Poppo are the ones who's methods haven't been shown yet. I can't wait to see the fallout from last ep. This is the only show that I'm dying to continually see this season. Like push plans out to watch it, dying.

Cwarrior

Steins Gate ep6

Another great episode,explaining more about how the time machine works and adding even more mystery to the story with the dream kyoma had also with the addition of another weird character.

kyoma continues to deliver

BluWacky

Articalys said:

It's what ADV's business model has always been - release lots of average-to-shit fanservice shows in amongst the occasional hit. Section23 are the same people with a different name after the fallout from losing all their licenses to Funimation...

Dali

Just finished Fractale. Some people dumped on it for little niggles like the repeated use of "etchi" and a white haired guy they perceived to be evil (another anime trope they felt ruined the show I guess), but I thought it was a cute fairytale with dark overtones in the same vein as Fantastic Children.

The character designs were great and the animation was well-done. I also found Neesa to be one of the most endearing one-dimensional characters I've seen in a long time. Definitely worth a watch. It's only 11 episodes and Funimation has it on their youtube account.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dali said:
Just finished Fractale. Some people dumped on it for little niggles like the repeated use of "etchi" and a white haired guy they perceived to be evil (another anime trope they felt ruined the show I guess), but I thought it was a cute fairytale with dark overtones in the same vein as Fantastic Children.

The character designs were great and the animation was well-done. I also found Neesa to be one of the most endearing one-dimensional characters I've seen in a long time. Definitely worth a watch. It's only 11 episodes and Funimation has it on their youtube account.
Honestly, the problem with it was that it would go from happy to extremely dark without an adequate transition. The first couple of episodes evoked Miyazaki, but right after that it just went off the rails. I may go back to it since it is apparently Yakaman's last work ever (he died for our sins, etc, etc).

---

Meanwhile, I finally started listening to the Colony Drop ANN podcast and woof. I don't really read anime blogs, since as they say, they're all mostly shit, but it sounded a bit odd to trash on anime blog circle jerks if they then go and spend an hour circle-jerking about how smart and intelligent they are. I hope they're at least aware of the irony anyway. Or maybe they're all being ironic, because apparently that's Zac's thing.

Also, I didn't know everyone hated Danny Choo. He took a gimmick and then turned it into a career pedalling anime bullshit to nerds who like to collect anime bullshit. More power to him, I guess.

And Japtoons?

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
Enma-kun 5:

The episode drags at the start - the jokes aren't funny, the setup isn't interesting, and the villain is lame. The second half was good, though; overall, a decent episode.

No?

tiff

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Honestly, the problem with it was that it would go from happy to extremely dark without an adequate transition. The first couple of episodes evoked Miyazaki, but right after that it just went off the rails. I may go back to it since it is apparently Yakaman's last work ever (he died for our sins, etc, etc).
As bad as that was, I think what bugged me most is that the show never really seemed to go anywhere. Things happened but none of it was really meaningful.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Also, I didn't know everyone hated Danny Choo. He took a gimmick and then turned it into a career pedalling anime bullshit to nerds who like to collect anime bullshit. More power to him, I guess.

This is the first time that I've ever heard of him being hated. I could see why, but damn it'd be silly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
tiff said:
As bad as that was, I think what bugged me most is that the show never really seemed to go anywhere. Things happened but none of it was really meaningful.
I suppose there was a message about internet addiction or something in the show, but I never caught enough of it to see where that went.

Miri said:
This is the first time that I've ever heard of him being hated. I could see why, but damn it'd be silly.
Their complaint is that he paints an unrealistic picture of Japan and that somehow he's using his daddy's money to fund his nerdy extravagance. As for the nepotism charge, I have no idea, but I can't imagine anyone watching him walk around Japan in his stupid storm trooper uniform is taking him too seriously.

Rektash

The girl who leapt through time

Just watched the movie and what can I say? Well everything was great up to about 2/3 of the movie. Sadly after that the story went to shit and I didn't like at all what happened afterwards. Lots of plot points not beeing explained properly or making straight up no sense. I mean SPOILERS AHEAD
What is it with this stupid picture? Is that really the reason to come back in time? REALLY? If you have a destroyed apocalyptic future you use a time travling device to look at a nice picture? REAAALLYY? Besides, what is it with this ending? Both will never see each other again, since they live too far apart timewise. They reduce their bond to the girl trying to preserve this stupid picture? Man ...

Well enough ranting. It is a decent movie with major things I didn't like.

Dali

firehawk12 said:

:lol

I know exactly what you're talking about, but that's one of the reasons I liked it. At first I was sort of hesitant as I felt it was going to be too much Nickelodeon and not enough Grimm. Oftentimes anime will take something with a natural, unavoidable, horrible side and twist it into some happy game showing an incredibly small part of the bad or ignoring it all together (see: Library Wars). When Clain started
hanging with the terrorists, I was starting to get that feeling. Aw man you guys are terrorists? Awesome! Let me run around and have fun because being a terrorist is all about old tech and fucking bitches, lol. Only instead of them being the robin-hood-like-do-gooders-that-don't-kill-and-have-only-been-givin-a-bad-name-by-the-authorities-and-are-actually-completely-innocent, these guys actually opened fire on a group of civvies just to complete their mission.
I think episode three is where you get the first taste of what you're talking about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
I had no problem with the end, but, opinions.

Mono no aware and whatnot. :p

Dali said:

I know exactly what you're talking about, but that's one of the reasons I liked it. At first I was sort of hesitant as I felt it was going to be too much Nickelodeon and not enough Grimm. Oftentimes anime will take something with a natural, unavoidable, horrible side and twist it into some happy game showing an incredibly small part of the bad or ignoring it all together (see: Library Wars). When Clain started
hanging with the terrorists, I was starting to get that feeling. Aw man you guys are terrorists? Awesome! Let me run around and have fun because being a terrorist is all about old tech and fucking bitches, lol. Only instead of them being the robin-hood-like-do-gooders-that-don't-kill-and-have-only-been-givin-a-bad-name-by-the-authorities-but-are-actually-completely-innocent, these guys actually opened fire on a group of civvies just to complete their mission.
I think episode three is where you get the first taste of what you're talking about.

Yeah, episode three was basically where I lost the plot and kind of checked out. I thought about checking out episode 7, since that was the one all the sakuga/direction nerds here were talking about when it aired (I think it was 7 anyway), but I haven't really felt a need to go back to it.

I'm curious about your point about Library Wars, since I don't remember much about it at the moment.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Mono no aware and whatnot. :p

Yeah, episode three was basically where I lost the plot and kind of checked out. I thought about checking out episode 7, since that was the one all the sakuga/direction nerds here were talking about when it aired (I think it was 7 anyway), but I haven't really felt a need to go back to it.

I'm curious about your point about Library Wars, since I don't remember much about it at the moment.

Library Wars was basically Gunparade March with a more ridiculous basis and none of the horrors of war and death. Speaking of which, they need more of those.

I had such high hopes for Fractale :( I thought it was going to be Ghibli whimsical ala Kiki at first. Then we meet the terrorists then ok, maybe Laputa... then OH MY GOD why are they shooting?! I tuned out after that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Library Wars was basically Gunparade March with a more ridiculous basis and none of the horrors of war and death. Speaking of which, they need more of those.
I remember it being mostly shoujo action... or Planetes with an even more absurd concept and highly motivated "power of love" heroine. I think I was just impressed that they managed to cram in all the romance shenanigans of a typical shoujo romance (the dreaded "Superman" love triangle) but also have a heroine who wasn't a doormat.

Besides, how serious can you take a war about... books. :lol

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I remember it being mostly shoujo action... or Planetes with an even more absurd concept and highly motivated "power of love" heroine. I think I was just impressed that they managed to cram in all the romance shenanigans of a typical shoujo romance (the dreaded "Superman" love triangle) but also have a heroine who wasn't a doormat.

The colors were too bright and the lines to clean for it to be grimdark, really.

And it was typical shoujo. Most shoujo girls aren't doormats anyways.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
firehawk12 said:

you wound me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
The colors were too bright and the lines to clean for it to be grimdark, really.

And it was typical shoujo. Most shoujo girls aren't doormats anyways.
Well, shoujo (romance) girls tend to have the bro save them, but this one ended with that trope reversed. The same thing happened in the OVA episode, actually.

Brobzoid said:
you wound me.
Harhar. :D

Izayoi

Banned
Dali said:

hanging with the terrorists, I was starting to get that feeling. Aw man you guys are terrorists? Awesome! Let me run around and have fun because being a terrorist is all about old tech and fucking bitches, lol. Only instead of them being the robin-hood-like-do-gooders-that-don't-kill-and-have-only-been-givin-a-bad-name-by-the-authorities-and-are-actually-completely-innocent, these guys actually opened fire on a group of civvies just to complete their mission.
I loved the first two episodes of Fractale. I kept watching past when it went to shit in hopes that it would return to those first two episodes. Instead I got
slaughtering innocents, wicked drugs, and rape.
Oh well.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
firehawk12 said:
Come on, at the last the two girls are oh the same type. :lol:
well, that much is true. The lady from Library Wars was squandered by being used in that tripe. Still though, what a cruel comparison to make. :mad:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brobzoid said:
well, that much is true. The lady from Library Wars was squandered by being used in that tripe. Still though, what a cruel comparison to make. :mad:
Yeah, the fact that I don't really remember the actual plot or story of Library Wars probably says a lot. It's a show I remember way more for the character anyway.

Kettch

I loved the first two episodes of Fractale. I kept watching past when it went to shit in hopes that it would return to those first two episodes. Instead I got
slaughtering innocents, wicked drugs, and rape.
Oh well.

My thoughts exactly. I thought we were getting a Dennou Coil-type show, and then it just goes in a completely different direction (except that one episode later on).

Izayoi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Not Yukiatsu?
Bahaha.

If we're talking about ALL shows this season, I would have to sit down and really think about it. But for Iroha, at least, Nako is without a doubt the best girl in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom