• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:
qn7es6.png

Buenas noches chicas lindas
Muy guapo, Cuubeo!

Joule

firehawk12 said:
To be fair, I think Shimura has no idea where the story is going either. :lol
I guess that's up for debate. The cast is heading to highschool soon in the manga? More plays!

Wandering Son 11: I'm fairly satisfied with how this went although I would of still have liked for the entire thing to have been animated. At the least we got much of the best Anna moments (Horie made a great Anna) <3 Really the whole casting was pretty great. Going to have to watch the 10/11 episodes in their full forms whenever that comes along.

Overall I think it was a well done adaption even if it didn't really get into the gender issues too much and things are just left hanging at the end. It was a very good watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
I guess that's up for debate. The cast is heading to highschool soon in the manga? More plays!
I dunno, it seems that Shimura has no idea where to take the characters in terms of either their gender identities or their sexual identities. But then again, I suppose there was a long time in Aoi Hana when no one knew if they were lesbians or not. :p

Risette

A Good Citizen
Aaand Baccano box preordered. I'm a sucker for nice boxes with limited quantities as long as they are semi-reasonably priced.

Plus, it's probably the highest quality version of the show one can own. Since it was made in SD and the BD's are a good upscale and a large upgrade over the R2J DVDs (no need to mention the R1 DVDs again lol), you can't get any higher quality really. Can't wait to rewatch it anyhow. Maybe with the JP audio this time?

Why am I rationalizing my purchase ~2 months before it comes ou- *spends more money*

Also, I got my Honneamise BD/DVD set today. It has really nice packaging too. Guess that was a given considering it had an MSRP of eighty fucking dollars when it came out.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, it seems that Shimura has no idea where to take the characters in terms of either their gender identities or their sexual identities. But then again, I suppose there was a long time in Aoi Hana when no one knew if they were lesbians or not. :p
I would agree with you but given how the pacing of this series is, I wouldn't be surprised if we're just in another long lull until the next moment of boldness from one of the cast comes up. Speaking of Aoi Hana, our main couple has only started dating.

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
I want to pre-order Baccano! too but the Amazon listing isn't up yet. /: I only like using rightstuf for things in bulk.
I dunno, the "limited quantities" thing made me preorder as soon as I could, since Aniplex USA releases usually are actually limited quantities. Plus, Rightstuf usually ships things early, sometimes up to 2 weeks early I've heard.

icarus-daedelus said:
Clannad [the Movie] does not benefit from story compression into a 90 minute space nearly as much as AIR did, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on; even cutting out the "side girls" (aka not Nagisa nos. 1-4), it's still boring as fuck and the protag being overly dour exacerbates that. It also seriously lacks any sense of real drama in spite of the artifice of sad moe tiems, although I s'pose I could levy that accusation at any KEY show or movie at this point.

Naturally, it fails to add any filmic flair and ends up with all the same stylistic flourishes you'd expect from a mediocre Toei TV show. With the exception of very few well-animated sequences, it's hard to look at this as theatrical-quality animation without laughing.

Still, it's as hilariously sparkly as ever and those trademark sketchy still pan shots return with a vengeance, and the tone considerably lightens whenever Sunohara or Nagisa's parents show up to steal scenes, so it's not a total wash. It's at least a hell of a lot shorter than Clannad season 1.

clannad_screwyou.jpg

I'm so proud of you, girl, you can walk up that hill all by yourself. Character development!

I have tomorrow off, so I think I'm going to take the time to marathon me some Angel Beats! Wish me luck!

this crazy mission isn't done yet?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Aigis said:
I dunno, the "limited quantities" thing made me preorder as soon as I could, since Aniplex USA releases usually are actually limited quantities. Plus, Rightstuf usually ships things early, sometimes up to 2 weeks early I've heard.
Well I pre-ordered it on there now. I actually hope they don't send it early though since I wanted to see how some things turn out before committing to this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
I would agree with you but given how the pacing of this series is, I wouldn't be surprised if we're just in another long lull until the next moment of boldness from one of the cast comes up. Speaking of Aoi Hana, our main couple has only started dating.
Yeah. I think the way they sped up what happened (partly because of the 10+11 thing) made me aware of the fact that Nitorin's little nurse's office episode went through a long period in the actual manga.

And yep, I almost wonder if she's gearing up to end Aoi Hana soon because of how much the main relationship had sped up.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
I may be a heathen philistine for saying this, but I really prefer the English dub of Baccano! to the Japanese. It's one of the very few shows I can say that about. JP is worth a listen, too, but it takes me out of it to hear "-san" and "-sama" and that sort of thing sprinkled throughout a period show set in 30s America. That may just be me, though.
Yeah, I figured the dub would suit the show's atmosphere better so that's why I watched it that way first. I might change things up for the rewatch though!

icarus-daedelus said:
Isn't that just nuts? That's Bandai for ya. :p
No kidding. It really is a nice box though. Plus, I could lend the spare DVD to friends or something. I guess it bombed (at that price... no surprises there) since I was able to get it 3 or so years later at less than half the price.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Koi Kaze 7
You know, my little sister says "I love you" from time to time (usually when she wants to stay up to watch The Daily Show). Koshiro isn't very subtle. Or very smart.

Paprikka

Fractale 11 -Nessa loves your tears!
bZFAcl.jpg

As for the rest:
I guess that's about as good of an ending as you can get story-wise. Fractale is still going so you don't have a mass panic but pretty much everyone from the church is dead so you can get people independent again bit by bit. Though I really didn't get Clain's reaction at first in the end, you would think he would react more after she woke up, instead of just going: "Cool, you're awake after a year, I'll go make breakfast."
Maybe it's just me, but the show still felt like it didn't know what direction to go in, and instead tried to have a little bit of everything and ended up just meh as a result.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Paprikka said:
Fractale 11 -Nessa loves your tears!
bZFAcl.jpg

As for the rest:
I guess that's about as good of an ending as you can get story-wise. Fractale is still going so you don't have a mass panic but pretty much everyone from the church is dead so you can get people independent again bit by bit. Though I really didn't get Clain's reaction at first in the end, you would think he would react more after she woke up, instead of just going: "Cool, you're awake after a year, I'll go make breakfast."
Maybe it's just me, but the show still felt like it didn't know what direction to go in, and instead tried to have a little bit of everything and ended up just meh as a result.
So it still suffered from mood whiplash until the end?
I feel like I should pick it up again sometime just to finish it.

Speaking of which, anyone know if Yuu Kobayashi working this season?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Master Milk said:
. . . that's not a boy?
Ruka Urushibara (&#28422;&#21407;&#12427;&#12363; Urushibara Ruka?, voiced by: Y&#363; Kobayashi) is a bish&#333;nen who looks strikingly like a girl and even wears the garment of a miko despite being a boy. He is a close friend of Mayuri and is often asked by her to try on her cosplay costumes.

InfiniteNine said:

This is a Steins Gate manga spoiler, no idea if it spoils the game or the anime but this is a conversation about a Steins Gate character anyone who wouldn't want to have Steins Gate potentially spoiled shouldn't highlight it
he becomes a girl due to a time traveling sms in the manga

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
firehawk12 said:
Cat boy miko? Is that like three different fetishes in one?
Well that's fanart the ears are for the cute factor. Although I can't say he doesn't wear them since I haven't finished the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
Well that's fanart the ears are for the cute factor. Although I can't say he doesn't wear them since I haven't finished the game.
Oh, that gender descriptor was intentional. Hence why I said three fetishes, after all.
And yay for fanart!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Koi Kaze 9
Finally, plot movement! I'm actually considering that the father is a little more disturbing than his son really. I mean, how obsessed he seems to be at Nanoka being "his little girl" is just sort of bothersome. Nanoka getting more aggressive can go either way, but they seem to be framing it by having "normal" couples around them as Nanoka makes some sort of suggestion. But with the ending, well I guess that clears that up...

Also, why does Nanoka hugging him not seem at all strange, taboo, or wrong?

Also, also, Boss Lady is still awesome. :D

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm the moe-est. I won Japan Saimoe last year. The rest of you can GTFO.

Kaiji can stay.

Time for more TWGOK.
No, I'M most moe-est. I once wrote a term paper on moe.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Cencoroll mothafucka!

418954-JT5BCWB.jpg

Yeah, it was pretty cool. Plot sucked, but hey... it was really impressive for being animated almost entirely by one dude.

Wandering Son 9:
Wow, that was a pretty bold move on Nitorin's part. He has a lot of courage. I think this episode really did a great job on hitting on the stigmas that boys/men in his position have to deal with, which is a pretty major problem. It was a nice change of pace to have some one on one time between him and Chi, too. I really enjoyed that conversation.

Jex

Lafiel said:
I'm hoping that the director gets to make a TV series out of it, or just a science-fiction anime series in general, there's not enough science-fiction being made in anime today.
A world without enough sci-fi anime would almost be unthinkable back in the 90's.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Koi Kaze 9
Finally, plot movement! I'm actually considering that the father is a little more disturbing than his son really. I mean, how obsessed he seems to be at Nanoka being "his little girl" is just sort of bothersome. Nanoka getting more aggressive can go either way, but they seem to be framing it by having "normal" couples around them as Nanoka makes some sort of suggestion. But with the ending, well I guess that clears that up...

Also, why does Nanoka hugging him not seem at all strange, taboo, or wrong?

Also, also, Boss Lady is still awesome. :D
Well, now you're moving towards the finale. Good times ahead.

flawfuls said:
Damn you Japan. It's like they make their trailers so short and shitty because they know nobody can stand watching anything for more than a few seconds on those god awful video players.

They also haven't bothered to animate more than a few seconds...

iavi

Extollere said:
Cencoroll mothafucka!

Yeah, it was pretty cool. Plot sucked, but hey... it was really impressive for being animated almost entirely by one dude.

That does make it infinitely more impressive. Still bored the shit out of me though... infact, I don't even think I finished it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom