• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Damn you Japan. It's like they make their trailers so short and shitty because they know nobody can stand watching anything for more than a few seconds on those god awful video players.
I'm pretty sure I've brought this up, but I haven't seen anyone make a good anime trailer in...ever?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
I'm pretty sure I've brought this up, but I haven't seen anyone make a good anime trailer in...ever?
Shinkai's trailers are always good, but that's only because they're like slideshows of paintings.

Jex

flawfuls said:
I thought the trailer Iroha was pretty good. They also just used youtube to host their videoes. God bless them.
Well it's certainly true that their websites are, for the most part, awful.
Cwarrior said:
Kite
ehhh… it was pretty meh ...in the space of 60 minutes there quite a bit of rape/false rape
So is this meant to be a classic?

oh girl's got weird eyes
Why would you say that?
icarus-daedelus said:
Odin Photon Sailer Starlight
Well, it's about time, right?
firehawk12 said:
No idea what this show is, but I guess I'll have to watch it now. Damn. :lol
I hear that's also in Cowboy Bebop, a little known show from the 70's.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Koi Kaze 10
You know, if the ultimate idea of this show didn't bother me on a very basic level, I could even call this romance very cute and feel good. Gray is such a delicious morality.

Jexhius said:
Oh god what has become of this world.
I died a little inside...

Dresden

Hey dudes, the second of the young animator thinggamajig projects are out--Kizuna Ichigeki--assuming it's not a troll sub.

NApr2.png

uQnYX.png

kXgnE.png

Uchip

Banned
Jexhius said:
Oh god what has become of this world.

I had to close my door while watching that show
if anyone walked in on me watching pants-less little girls I dont think I could come up with an explanation that would work
Fuck watching shows recommended by weeaboos

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
There is a joke episode 11 of Madoka out guys so beware! On the good news side of thing the Muv-Luv Alternative full patch leaked so I'll be playing that in a minute~!
The bastards.

jman2050 said:
Strike Witches gets released in the US while Dennou Coil is left to toil in obscurity.

Sigh.

Not to mention Funimation will release this, but isn't showing any signs of re-releasing Lain or Haibane Renmei. Sigh indeed.

Kaiji 10-14

One of the reasons I like this more than Akagi is that this show has heart. They're both uber-melodramatic, but Kaiji injects a certain level of social commentary into the proceedings and has a protagonist who's more than an intellect.
I especially likes the moment where Akagi reaches out to push the person in front of him on the first bridge - then stops and screams, "I won't push!" Ignoring the cold path of logic which says to take advantage of everyone around you and choosing the irrational path of mercy is what makes us human.

Also, did I see a speaking female part somewhere in there? I must have been imagining things.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
Not to mention Funimation will release this, but isn't showing any signs of re-releasing Lain or Haibane Renmei. Sigh indeed.
Unless they are going to touch it up it might be better they didn't release the BD of HR here. The transfer for that is pretty horrible.

TWGOK is hilarious and genius, BTW. But you guys already knew that, since I'm watching shows on a several months' delay at this point. Goddamn FFXIV cutting into my anime-watching time.

Swag

Unknown Soldier said:
TWGOK is hilarious and genius, BTW. But you guys already knew that, since I'm watching shows on a several months' delay at this point. Goddamn FFXIV cutting into my anime-watching time.
I honestly thought noone played that game.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Strike Witches gets released in the US while Dennou Coil is left to toil in obscurity.

Sigh.
Oh I think you know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wandering Son 11 - Look at you, not having some kind of awful ending. Well done.

Now that it's concluded without disaster it's safe to re-confirm that it is, indeed, an amazing show.

hellclerk

Koi Kaze 11
Wow... Boss Lady... You're so awesome... I wish you would crash at my place in a sort of roundabout way to get me to make a pass at you. Who am I kidding, I'd make a pass at you even if you didn't.

Wandering Son Final
A wonderful end to a wonderful show. Its a god damn shame that it only had 11 episodes but they made a hell of a show out of only 11 episodes. Its probably the best Anime I've seen in years. Now time to read the manga, I guess. How many volumes is it up too?

Lain

jman2050 said:

Sigh.

Strike Witches is the voice of our generation, it's only natural.
Pants-less girls flying around, in HD. I'd buy it if I had a region-free player!

iavi

Kite's so bad, it's good. I'm about 10min in and I had to pause this shit. The dub is cracking me up and the whole thing is done so awkwardly, I have no clue what the fuck they were piping when putting this thing together. Campy dialogue--check. Random sex scenes--check Blood--check.

Edit: Holy shit, the apathy in pretty dude's voice is something else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
Wandering Son Final
A wonderful end to a wonderful show. Its a god damn shame that it only had 11 episodes but they made a hell of a show out of only 11 episodes. Its probably the best Anime I've seen in years. Now time to read the manga, I guess. How many volumes is it up too?
Volume 12.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Oh, that gender descriptor was intentional. Hence why I said three fetishes, after all.
And yay for fanart!
The database's hunger has temporarily been quenched.
icarus-daedelus said:
Kaiji is the moest of all.

Moe-est?
I prefer the later, myself.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dina said:
What's Kimi ni Todoke about?
it's about this

WPiqMl.jpg

and this

sbjKcl.jpg

and sometimes this

D3lqWl.jpg

Jexhius said:
It's like, a romance about a boy and a girl. Yet, apparently it's not. And the boy and the girl aren't like, traditional shoujo (referring to manga works aimed at girls) main characters. Which would allow them to avoid those classic tropes. Except they won't because they have this slow romance that isn't the centre of the plot even if many scenes revolve around it. Unless it is. Which it isn't because it's really about connecting with others and coming out of your shell, hence the title 'Reaching You' except they also like to not reach because the plot has to go on for a few more episodes, even though it really shouldn't, but it's popular, so you also need to have a romance which doesn't go anywhere because then it would reach and the show would be over. Except it wouldn't, because that's maybe not what it's really about.
close, but you're way off

or maybe you're right, who knows

Lain said:
You and Japan are crazy. But that's why we like you both.
cmmqLl.jpg

Jex

doomed1 said:
Koi Kaze 11
Wow... Boss Lady... You're so awesome... I wish you would crash at my place in a sort of roundabout way to get me to make a pass at you. Who am I kidding, I'd make a pass at you even if you didn't.
Boss Lady is so subtle. "Yeah, I'm just gonna come stay at your place."

Jex

Sebulon3k said:
So who else is so hyped for the Star Driver finale that the anxiousness is causing sleep loss
I can only imagine that the answer is no-one.

At least I hope.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Glass Fleet

Terrible CGI logo? Terrible CGI spaceships? Ugly backgrounds and character designs? Oh Gonzo, how I've missed you!

I nearly lost my shit when the guy with the ridiculous hat and the girls draped on each side of him was crushed to death by a giant falling statue. This after probably the least interesting space battle I've ever seen, in spite of hundreds of ships being blown up all around, and is followed by the strangest marriage ceremony I've ever seen. During the latter a spontaneous ground battle breaks out. All of which happens in about ten minutes; it is hilarious and indescribable.

You probably couldn't make anything more incompetent if you tried. This is ugly, badly edited, and nonsensical in every aspect. mAcOdIn and Geneijin really weren't kidding with this one.

There really are no words though. You have to see it for yourself. It's even on Hulu, everybody Americans!
You wont tempt me with your siren song!
hosannainexcelsis said:
Glass Fleet looks hilarious. I'll probably end up watching it.
Nooooo, it's spreading. Someone lash the members to the bow!

Erigu

pieatorium said:
Please add the damn title, next time you post an actual spoiler. I was trying to stay away from stuff like that until the release of the PSP port of Steins;Gate...

Jexhius said:
Wandering Son 11 - Look at you, not having some kind of awful ending. Well done.
Now that it's concluded without disaster it's safe to re-confirm that it is, indeed, an amazing show.
And now, go read the manga!

Hellsing321 said:
How many volumes is it up too?
11 volumes (and a half, if you count the serialization) are out.

hellclerk

Koi Kaze 12
Boss Lady, your tactics of hard love are an inspiration to us all. Your cruel words of care, not out of insecurity of them violating your social taboos, are for their long-term sake. You are the voice of reason in this sad sad story. Goddamnit, stop making me feel so rorery ;__;

I really do feel a bit bad that she got shut down like she did, and Koshiro's vain inner monologue fighting the urge just exacerbated it. And now on the final episode. How shall these star-crossed lovers continue?

Jexhius said:
Boss Lady is so subtle. "Yeah, I'm just gonna come stay at your place."
Seriously, she was hardcore with putting a wedge into this. I felt so bad when she gave up...

jman2050

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 4-6

This show is definitely something else. Or maybe it's exactly what you'd expect, I dunno which. It is indeed GLORIOUS either way though.

There was an unfortunate lack of Luna in these episodes, which is disappointing because her half-plush half-horrible CGI abomination existence is by far the best part of this show. Oh well, still 43 episodes left to go, so there's still time. As a response, I'll show you the two other best parts about this show!

a2vgn6.png

1. Usagi's brother. Has five lines or something at the very start of the first episode and nothing else, but gets on here by virtue of being the best actor on the show so far.

2rf4mxu.png

2. The guy who runs the karaoke shop. I think the image speaks for itself.

That aside, in episode 4 after learning she's a senshi in the previous episode Rei goes all tsun on the group and refuses to deal with Usagi's bullshit, at least until she, Usagi, and Ami have to transform and attack three monsters in tandem whilst synchronizing themselves by singing a terrible pop song by Sailor VenusMinako Aino. In episode 5 Ami goes all emo because she's a nerd and nerds obviously aren't allowed to have actual friends. In episode 6 Makoto shows up as the most unconvincing tomboy ever and joins the group as Sailor Jupiter. Much like the anime, she has the best transformation.

The still-as-yet-unnamed mod assures me the show gains some semblence of quality at around episode 11, so maybe that'll be my next reporting point. Until then, here's a video of three Japanese schoolgirls trying to play basketball

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jman2050 said:
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 4-6

This show is definitely something else. Or maybe it's exactly what you'd expect, I dunno which. It is indeed GLORIOUS either way though.

There was an unfortunate lack of Luna in these episodes, which is disappointing because her half-plush half-horrible CGI abomination existence is by far the best part of this show. Oh well, still 43 episodes left to go, so there's still time. As a response, I'll show you the two other best parts about this show!

http://i53.tinypic.com/a2vgn6.png[/img
1. Usagi's brother. Has five lines or something at the very start of the first episode and nothing else, but gets on here by virtue of being the best actor on the show so far.

[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/2rf4mxu.png[/img
2. The guy who runs the karaoke shop. I think the image speaks for itself.

That aside, in episode 4 after learning she's a senshi in the previous episode Rei goes all tsun on the group and refuses to deal with Usagi's bullshit, at least until she, Usagi, and Ami have to transform and attack three monsters in tandem whilst synchronizing themselves by singing a terrible pop song by [s]Sailor Venus[/s]Minako Aino. In episode 5 Ami goes all emo because she's a nerd and nerds obviously aren't allowed to have actual friends. In episode 6 Makoto shows up as the most unconvincing tomboy ever and joins the group as Sailor Jupiter. Much like the anime, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44mBWvWmSJ8]she has the best transformation[/url].

The still-as-yet-unnamed mod assures me the show gains some semblence of quality at around episode 11, so maybe that'll be my next reporting point. Until then, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMxx4L3URFg]here's a video of three Japanese schoolgirls trying to play basketball[/url][/QUOTE]

That unnamed mod got to me as well. Go tot episode 3. Maybe I'll pick it up now knowing someone else is suffering with me.

Jex

doomed1 said:
Koi Kaze 12
Boss Lady, your tactics of hard love are an inspiration to us all. Your cruel words of care, not out of insecurity of them violating your social taboos, are for their long-term sake. You are the voice of reason in this sad sad story. Goddamnit, stop making me feel so rorery ;__;

I really do feel a bit bad that she got shut down like she did, and Koshiro's vain inner monologue fighting the urge just exacerbated it. And now on the final episode. How shall these star-crossed lovers continue?
He totally had the chance to go with a normally lady but there's no such escape for this show.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
you are really watching it? haha
the editing is so nosensical, the basketball clip had me laughing
when you use techniques from anime that were designed to save animation budget on real footage, its so wacky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom