• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Man against deer, who will come out victolius???

EuE82l.jpg

icarus-daedelus said:
The over-the-top hilarity isn't quite as concentrated, or as deeply entwined in the terribad dialogue, but as in that show, the English dub adds a lot of entertainment to the proceedings.

But the rapid-fire editing is part of the fun here. They'll just cut to a floating glass spaceship (what, they were being literal with that title?!) and BAM! it explodes with no ceremony. Awesome. Lots of random explosions actually.
Sold, will watch.

iavi

Kite

That was a piece of shit. It was funny at first, then it got serious, and then it got to the point of me wondering what the whole point of it was. Awkwardly long camera pans, horrible dialogue, lots o wang, and an unknown direction, that's what this 'film' was.

The director placed his name so prominently too... really...

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Does this young animator thing have a theme? Or is it just four random projects?
Just random stuff, afaik.
Jexhius said:
I'm putting my money on deer.
And you'd be right!

Kizuna Ichigeki:

This was excellent. Loved it. The story might be a little flimsy, but who cares when everything is so charming and looks so good? Lots of great action as well.

YoovCl.jpg

eISHrl.jpg

pp9yHl.jpg

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
He totally had the chance to go with a normally lady but there's no such escape for this show.
No, I don't think he did. He's too much of a passionless flake. Boss Lady would have gotten bored of him. Koshiro's actually only really interesting because of Nanoka. He totally wouldn't have done something as stupid as run around a closed amusement park. Which brings me to...

Koi Kaze 13
Too bad about the lack of closure. They really couldn't win with this sort of a narrative, since it either has to end in tragedy or happiness. Tragedy would suck, especially with the tone of the show, and happiness wouldn't do either, since it would essentially be supporting both incest and borderline pedophilia. It's a hard gray, and getting that across in narrative is tricky. Really, thanks to the glorious Westermark Effect, this subject matter isn't really all that common in practice, so I'm not sure it's really more than a mature narrative about an immature fantasy. To reference Genshiken, I can attest that those narratives are the results of fantasies by people who don't actually have a younger sister. It was a well paced narrative, and I've played with the non-incest side of this sort of story before (age difference), it's really just that they chose the path of thorns. I kinda wanna see what they end up sacrificing to pass through it.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
This might be this year's Anime no Chikara. :lol
But the shows are actually good this time. :p

Here's the last two projects:

Company: P.A. Works
Director: Yoshihara Masayuki (Asst. Dir., Eden of the East, Moribito, Key Anim., Ghost in the Shell series)
Producer: Horikawa Kenji (Prod. true tears, CANAAN, Angel Beats!, Series Comp., Popolocrois Monogatari)
Provisional Title: Bannou Yasai Ninninman

Company: Production I.G.
Director: Kise Kazuchika (Anim. Dir., Patlabor the Movie, Patlabor the Movie 2, Bungaku Shoujo, Evangelion 1.0, Ghost in the Shell, Key Anim., Evangelion 1.0/2.0, Ghost in the Shell, Rojin Z, SPT Layzner)
Producer: Terakawa Hidekazu (Prod., IGPX, Jin-Roh, One Piece: Defeat the Pirate Ganzak!, various game animation work by I.G.)
Provisional Title: Tansu Warashi

The one by P.A. Works is apparently about a kid that doesn't like carrots. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
But the shows are actually good this time. :p

The one by P.A. Works is apparently about a kid that doesn't like carrots. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
FUCK CARROTS, THE ORANGE BASTARDS.

And, I'll defend Sora no Woto because of its eagerness to copy Aria (including going to a European town and taking reference pictures to use as background fodder). It gets points for copying something good. :lol:

Swag

P&S 2 ~ 3

This show just gets better and better, episode 03 with the parody of D-Day was absolutely hilarious, I've noticed even when there is no action the pacing stays quick enough to not feel like it's dragging on, and the jokes, so funny.

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
So, did you end up watching the censored or uncensored version? Apparently the former cuts down quite a bit on the animated wang factor, among other things.

The director, I dunno. He was probably considered to have a lot of potential after doing "Presence," the segment of Robot Carnival about how robot love is true wuv or whatever, so maybe he was proud of his first real project of his own. It's a "cult classic," so it hasn't completely backfired on him, I s'pose.

Ah, is it really a cult classic though?
I watched the uncensored cut, only one I could find. If the censored adjusts some of the editing, it wouldn't deal with the horrid plot, but it would fix a major issue with the film.

Fake edit: I'm reading that No Doubt built the video for "Ex-Girlfriend" around it, so if it is cult classic , I can definitely see this fueling its status a bit.

It might not have backfired, but with a glance at his future works, it doesn't look like he went on to become much more than this. Remakes, psuedo-sequels etc etc..

Instro

Dresden said:
Kizuna Ichigeki:

This was excellent. Loved it. The story might be a little flimsy, but who cares when everything is so charming and looks so good? Lots of great action as well.

Simple plot, but really fun. I enjoyed it a lot.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finished watching the last episode of Wandering Son as well, and quite liked the series as a whole.
It was unexpected that Chiba's attraction to Nitori may have been more of a cuteness fetish than anything else.
Is the manga a fleshed out version of the anime, or does the time line continue before / beyond what was show in the anime?

Damn, the way I've been getting through TWGOK I'll be done tomorrow or the day after. It's only 12 episodes. Good thing the second season begins in less than 2 weeks. I won't have to go through seriously hardcore withdrawal then.

Mai Hime 2

Some surprisingly subdued highschool antics and a giant drooling scorpion vagina. If there's one thing I like about the show so far, it's that stuff actually happens. Interested in seeing Mai's powers in action and not just unintentionally.

Geneijin

icarus-daedelus said:
Glass Fleet

Terrible CGI logo? Terrible CGI spaceships? Ugly backgrounds and character designs? Oh Gonzo, how I've missed you!

I nearly lost my shit when the guy with the ridiculous hat and the girls draped on each side of him was crushed to death by a giant falling statue. This after probably the least interesting space battle I've ever seen, in spite of hundreds of ships being blown up all around, and is followed by the strangest marriage ceremony I've ever seen. During the latter a spontaneous ground battle breaks out. All of which happens in about ten minutes; it is hilarious and indescribable.

You probably couldn't make anything more incompetent if you tried. This is ugly, badly edited, and nonsensical in every aspect. mAcOdIn and Geneijin really weren't kidding with this one.

There really are no words though. You have to see it for yourself. It's even on Hulu, everybody Americans!
Comrade! Welcome to this exclusive mustache, monocle club.

lwpxc.jpg

Pachael

Unknown Soldier said:
Damn, the way I've been getting through TWGOK I'll be done tomorrow or the day after. It's only 12 episodes. Good thing the second season begins in less than 2 weeks. I won't have to go through seriously hardcore withdrawal then.

It's got to at least go to the Yui arc. Please? :/

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
Mai Hime 2

Some surprisingly subdued highschool antics and a giant drooling scorpion vagina. If there's one thing I like about the show so far, it's that stuff actually happens. Interested in seeing Mai's powers in action and not just unintentionally.

You poor bastard.

zeroshiki

Uchip said:
I may be one of the weird people that enjoyed otome more than hime

There are no words. I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Otome. All the characters you hated from Hime are 100x more annoying and they take non annoying characters and make THOSE annoying and then to top it all of
daddycest
! Barf

Swag

zeroshiki said:
There are no words. I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Otome. All the characters you hated from Hime are 100x more annoying and they take non annoying characters and make THOSE annoying and then to top it all of
daddycest
! Barf
What did you think of the OVAs? I think they were called 0: sifr or something

Solune

Pachael said:
It's got to at least go to the Yui arc. Please? :/
Not even close. It ends at Shiori's arc for the first season.
Uchip said:
I may be one of the weird people that enjoyed otome more than hime
I didn't even know it was possible to enjoy the show in general.

Well, maybe they're going to string it out for 3 seasons? I wouldn't mind too much, it's not as if there's been a huge huge gap between seasons 1 and 2, if there was to be a season 3 it would probably be late 2011/early 2012.

I notice there seems to be a running joke where Keima's "PFP" gets destroyed in each arc only to reappear as if brand new when the next arc starts.

Dresden

The sales aren't amazing or anything--they're barely breaking even (and even so it's like Manglobe's most successful show, lulz, thanks to abysmal sales for stuff like Michiko or Five Leaves). Third season is unlikely to happen.

So no Yui.

Branduil

Dresden said:
The sales aren't amazing or anything--they're barely breaking even (and even so it's like Manglobe's most successful show, lulz, thanks to abysmal sales for stuff like Michiko or Five Leaves). Third season is unlikely to happen.

So no Yui.
Maybe next time they should try coming up with a premise which doesn't immediately destroy itself in an explosion of anti-logic.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sebulon3k said:
Show wasn't that bad from Episodes 13 - 22. I think 19 was the oh shit amazing one?
Episode 20 was fuckawesome. My heart stopped for a minute at the end.

The whole series is pretty good as a whole, too bad the ending ruins everything.

Was that really in 2005? Seems like ages ago I watched this. :p

zeroshiki

Sebulon3k said:
What did you think of the OVAs? I think they were called 0: sifr or something

I don't really remember. I do remember swearing the whole show off when
Wong
and
Nina
got togher.

Pachael

Dresden said:

So no Yui.

Yeah, I know the sales are terribad, I guess it's too much hope to have hoped for a 2-parter girl arc all the way. :/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
Maybe next time they should try coming up with a premise which doesn't immediately destroy itself in an explosion of anti-logic.
Manglobe didn't come up with anything~! Well maybe they came up with the horrible pacing that they went with. The manga does pretty okay and is quite a bit more entertaining.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
That's the problem. They should have heavily altered the source material.
What's the point of adapting it then? The source material is fine on it's own, but they went about it the wrong way.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
What's the point of adapting it then? The source material is fine on it's own, but they went about it the wrong way.
The source material is terrible if it's anything like the anime. They should have changed it to something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom