• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Further examples of Proof by assertion. Your saying TWGOK sucks doesn't make it suck, and all the reasons you've provided so far have been refuted. Quick summary, so far you've said it sucks because the premise is unbelievable, which it's supposed to be because it's a parody. Then you claim it's not a parody because it's just like the real thing, which I demonstrated is actually one criteria for being a good parody. Then you claim it's not a good parody because the source material is itself not good, which has nothing to do with the definition of a parody and is in fact an example of Circular reasoning.

Also, continuing to attack Wikipedia is further examples of Attacking the Source. I'm merely using Wikipedia to demonstrate how your arguments are flawed, I don't have to prove that TWGOK is good or bad here, merely that your methodology of argument is fatally flawed, which it is.
1. The premise isn't unbelievable just because of incidental features of the plot, it's unbelievable because it has no internal logic. You've failed to address this at all.

2. You posted a Wikipedia link and highlighted one line which ambiguously supported your argument. Being mistaken as the same thing does not mean it is the same thing. TWGOK sucks because it does not actually make fun of things which deserve to be made fun of, and is instead guilty of perpetrating them.

3. Circular reasoning is not inherently wrong.

mAcOdIn

To me, TWGOK is like the movie The Last Starfighter, which I would say is a parody of sorts, definitely not a serious take on the role simulators would one day hold in future warfare at the least.

Branduil said:
1. The premise isn't unbelievable just because of incidental features of the plot, it's unbelievable because it has no internal logic. You've failed to address this at all.
Moving the Goalposts. TWGOK isn't proving the Scientific Theory. Within it's fictional world, the mechanics of what is happening are consistent. This is all the internal logic the fictional world needs, consistency of basic rules like physics and magic and whatever.

2. You posted a Wikipedia link and highlighted one line which ambiguously supported your argument. Being mistaken as the same thing does not mean it is the same thing. TWGOK sucks because it does not actually make fun of things which deserve to be made fun of, and is instead guilty of perpetrating them.

Then I encourage you to find another definition of parody which states otherwise. Link it here. Otherwise my point stands. The fact that YOU do not think it is a parody does not change the definition of a parody or the criteria which TWGOK has already met based on what I linked.

Then I am finished with you and your so-called "argument". You can't argue with someone who insists on using Circular reasoning to prove an argument. What do I say to somebody who claims the Bible is absolutely true because it says it is? The answer is nothing, there is no argument to be made there. Merely by claiming the right to use Circular reasoning you have proven yourself utterly defeated, and so I'm finished here. Good night!

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Moving the Goalposts. TWGOK isn't proving the Scientific Theory. Within it's fictional world, the mechanics of what is happening are consistent. This is all the internal logic the fictional world needs, consistency of basic rules like physics and magic and whatever.

It's not consistent. The whole point of the premise is that he's obsessed with fictional girls because they're idealized, unlike real ones. This is destroyed when the "real" girls are exactly the same.

Then I encourage you to find another definition of parody which states otherwise. Link it here. Otherwise my point stands. The fact that YOU do not think it is a parody does not change the definition of a parody or the criteria which TWGOK has already met based on what I linked.

I didn't say it wasn't a parody. I said it was a crappy one.

Then I am finished with you and your so-called "argument". You can't argue with someone who insists on using Circular reasoning to prove an argument. What do I say to somebody who claims the Bible is absolutely true because it says it is? The answer is nothing, there is no argument to be made there. Merely by claiming the right to use Circular reasoning you have proven yourself utterly defeated, and so I'm finished here. Good night!

Well if it gets you to shut up then I've accomplished something. But my point is true. Circular reasoning does not necessarily mean I am incorrect.

Swag

Houchuu Ootsuka never disappoints to deliver the laughs in whatever role he plays, I wish he'd do more VA work.

NeonZ

You haven't shown that it lacks internal logic. Just because it involves games, it doesn't mean the show must attempt to contrast them with the real world by doing a completely realistic take on it. That's just your opinion and you seem to be blaming the show because it isn't what you want it to be.

The author's notes for the manga directly mention how the "real" girls are based on dating sim types, so it's not like the author even attempted to do what you wish he had done. This is meant to be a homage and also (somewhat) a parody of the dating sim genre, which is different from a standard datimg sim due to the whole spirit mechanic, which forces the main character to artificially engage in those relationships, not out of his own will, and allows him to pursue multiple "paths" in a single story.

However, I wasn't a big fan of the anime anyway. The manga worked due to its fast pace, quickly showcasing all the different girl types and Keima's weird personality, and it's at its worst when it goes too slow (giant girl story...). The content is too shallow to justify the anime's slow pacing, and it seems like the upcoming season will be even slower...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Omae no Umasou da na: If this were a Disney movie everybody would eat bugs at the end, because bugs are not sapient enough and they don't deserve our attention.

Best animu whatever in a while, by far. I'm surprised that it didn't set a clear good vs bad dichotomy like every other kids movie regarding survival of the fittest.

P.S. The moral of the story is that this is a better parenting film than Finding Nemo. Now that's an overrated Pixar movie.

Branduil

NeonZ said:
You haven't shown that it lacks internal logic. Just because it involves games, it doesn't mean the show must attempt to contrast them with the real world by doing a completely realistic take on it. That's just your opinion and you seem to be blaming the show because it isn't what you want it to be.

I'm blaming it because it destroys my suspension of disbelief. There's no reason he would be so obsessed with dating girls if real girls were already exactly the same.

The author's notes for the manga directly mention how the "real" girls are based on dating sim types, so it's not like the author even attempted to do what you wished he had done. This is meant to be a homage and also (somewhat) a parody of the dating sim genre, which is different from a standard datimg sim due to the whole spirit mechanic, which forces the main character to artificially engage in those relationships, not out of his own will, and allows him to pursue multiple "paths" in a single story.

Right, he chose to parody something meaningless like game mechanics instead of all the other crap so desperately crying out for parody.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
pieatorium said:
TWGOK is Bleach except instead of killing ghosts with swords they use social awkwardness.
Whats is this I don't even.

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
I'm blaming it because it destroys my suspension of disbelief. There's no reason he would be so obsessed with dating girls if real girls were already exactly the same.
That's not totally true, it could be that he, in that fictional world, came to the premature idea that real girls were different based on some kind of social awkwardness, got interested in the games where he could win with all the girls and then just never tried to see if his conception towards real girls were true or not.

While I dropped the manga somewhere around chapter 110 or so it did seem like the author was at that point beginning to make real girls more "attractive" to him than they were at the beginning.

But the manga and show still sucks mind you, just that I don't think your first point here holds true, there's a difference between the real and virtual girls being different versus being perceived as different in the story's world and while it may seem like a failing on the author's part it might also be some grand epiphany the author plans to thrust onto the main character in the future you just haven't seen yet.

Wandering Son ended even better than I imagined it would. Now I only wish there were another 10 episodes - the ending was pretty much perfect but I feel there is so much more they could do with such a large cast and complicated issues.

I guess it's time to read the manga, something I rarely bother to do with animu adaptations. But this one seems to demand it.

Steroyd

Branduil said:

The real girls aren't exactly the same as his dating sims, he mentions it numerous times how real girls are unpredictable and he doesn't like that, he's using his gamimg knowledge to play on the typical tropes of those girls are following.

Branduil

Steroyd said:
The real girls aren't exactly the same as his dating sims, he mentions it numerous times how real girls are unpredictable and he doesn't like that, he's using his gamimg knowledge to play on the typical tropes of those girls are following.
They still fit into neat categories and behave like typical examples of idealized girls. I think the similarities are much more pronounced than the differences.

Steroyd

Branduil said:
They still fit into neat categories and behave like typical examples of idealized girls. I think the similarities are much more pronounced than the differences.

That's the point otherwise TWGOK wouldn't work as is, his plans don't go exactly to plan sans the introductory first girl. Having a male lead whose self aware of the typical anime girls in every other anime, and using that logic onto itself makes it a good parody to watch (or at least read).

zeroshiki

So many posts dedicated to something as crappy as TWGOK.

I agree with Branduil somewhat. Even if this is anime/manga/game there is an expectation that the rules set forth at the start will be followed. Now, if the story has no logical consistency or uses an eye rollingly bad plot device (the girls magically forget falling in love with him) then I can understand why someone would find it offensively bad.

*takes off monocle*

Steroyd

zeroshiki said:
So many posts dedicated to something as crappy as TWGOK.

I agree with Branduil somewhat. Even if this is anime/manga/game there is an expectation that the rules set forth at the start will be followed. Now, if the story has no logical consistency or uses an eye rollingly bad plot device (the girls magically forget falling in love with him) then I can understand why someone would find it offensively bad.

*takes off monocle*

Unfortunately the anime won't cover that, but that convenient feature is used for an even bigger plot later on in the manga.

mAcOdIn

I don't mean to imply that Infinite Stratos 12 was good but I seem to have totally called
That rabbit-genius girl hacking all those missiles and making that robot go berserk
when I was arguing against A Black Falcon, that or at the least Ichika's sister thinks like me, which is also fine by me since she is the best character on the show.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
I don't mean to imply that Infinite Stratos 12 was good but I seem to have totally called
That rabbit-genius girl hacking all those missiles and making that robot go berserk
when I was arguing against A Black Falcon, that or at the least Ichika's sister thinks like me, which is also fine by me since she is the best character on the show.
Chifuyu-nee confirms your suspicions for you. It happened as you predicted.

Gaogaogao

Branduil said:
Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

Cwarrior

duckroll said:
In an hour, Japanese viewers will be showered under the amazing light of X-Men episode 1. Omggggg.

So is it going to about "The Xmen" or just some more wolverine dick riding?

gaf sure is dead in the day time

Jex

doomed1 said:
Koi Kaze 13...so I'm not sure it's really more than a mature narrative about an immature fantasy.
No I don't think it's about an immature fantasy either (although it does explore something which is a fantasy for some). It's basically just a classic tale of forbidden love that happens to revolve around incest.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Anime is entertainment. Not everything needs to be an art film.
Not all anime is entertainment and not all art films fail to entertain.
Branduil said:
The source material is terrible if it's anything like the anime. They should have changed it to something good.
Even Manglobe don't have that power.

duckroll

Cwarrior said:
So is it going to about "The Xmen" or just some more wolverine dick riding?

gaf sure is dead in the day time
Wolverine already had this own series. This one is X-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jex

[Odin]
mAcOdIn said:
This was such a good movie back in the day I took part of the title to make my current screen name. Seriously.
Wait, what?

This is for real?
flawfuls said:
Looks very Code Geass.
If only!
Branduil said:
Clearly whoever is trying to kill the American anime industry simply isn't doing a good enough job.
Well, they're trying their best damnit.
Halycon said:
I'd expect this from Branduil, but not from you mAc.

You wound me.
Anime is serious business.

faridmon

Regulus Tera P.S. The moral of the story is that this is a better parenting film than [I said:
Finding Nemo[/I]. Now that's an overrated Pixar movie.
Blasphemy!

What does those Mathematical numbers reffer to?

Steroyd said:
Unfortunately the anime won't cover that, but that convenient feature is used for an even bigger plot later on in the manga.

its been mentioned many times but its strangely ignored.

I guess i should be starting Mai-hime like i said.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
But was it any good? Only the bravest men will find out!

Haven't seen it yet, but the OP/ED screenshots so far, and the credits, leads me to believe that at the very least, this might actually be a "real" anime production, as opposed to a bastard child production that no one working on it cared about.

That's not to say it's going to be good though. :)

Cwarrior

Miri said:
Kite

That was a piece of shit. It was funny at first, then it got serious, and then it got to the point of me wondering what the whole point of it was. Awkwardly long camera pans, horrible dialogue, lots o wang, and an unknown direction, that's what this 'film' was.

The director placed his name so prominently too... really...

I am still disappointed at gaf for not warning me, I wasted 58 mins watching this shit last night (I think maybe gaf hates me).

Did you watch the dub or sub?(me sub)

I found quite funny, that movie/ova was so short, but they spent so much time with sex scenes and spent very little time with the connection the girl made with oburi.The scene with lanky crossed pink haired guy fucking(rape) some little girl was just weird(couldn't help but lol)

Going to watch Mezzo Forte at least i know there going to be some fight scenes at least

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
faridmon said:
Blasphemy!

Finding Nemo is one of those kids movies whose attempts at comic relief feel completely out of place from the setting and tone (fuck the bank of fish and fuck the stupid dumb hippy turtles).

I'll concede that the water engine looked really believable!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Basically, I agree with you. It hasn't completely backfired because he is still a fairly well-known anime director thanks to Kite, but except for those people who watched it, he isn't known for anything else but that and has been pigeonholed by it since.
Nuh-uh, everyone knows him for the Soredemo OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom