• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Kimi ni Todoke S2 Speed Run 03 - 04

lolz at applying the logic behind not interfering, everybody around them knows their feelings towards each other but the couple to be.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Steroyd approves of Working!!

Jex

You Are Umasou: Man, that was really god damn awesome.

I mean, I assumed it would be fun, but I didn't think it'd be that good.

It's well done in pretty much all respects. It has a suitable story, characters, lovely art etc etc. More importantly it has SPINNING DINOSAURS. Yet, it avoided being overly cute and sentimental. I was even reminded of
Ringing Bell
which was certainly unexpected.

It's always nice to have an anime that anyone can watch, thanks to be it being a kids movie packed with awesome dinosaurs doing there thing. Plus it means that we don't have stupid stuff thrown in to please one particular demographic, hurrah!

My only complaint would be with the methods they used to join up the different parts of the story. Transitioning from one scene to the next in the same arc was generally fine, but when they wanted time to pass they used some heavy-handed visuals to get the idea across. It just made the pacing for those particular sections a little award. But that's a minor, minor complaint and overall the film was excellent. I urge everyone to see it.

I hope it gets the recognition it deserves considering that it's easily better than, say, Summer Wars.

Articalys

Hellsing321 said:
Damn I was hoping to go on an adventure in search of the last working VHS player like that Bebop episode.
Fun fact: that was the last episode I watched; waiting on the disc with episodes 19-22 to come tomorrow. Then the movie, then the final set of four episodes.
Looking forward to it.
And it was a Beta, not VHS. The guy in the shop was very clear about that.

Articalys said:
Fun fact: that was the last episode I watched; waiting on the disc with episodes 19-22 to come tomorrow. Then the movie, then the final set of four episodes.
Looking forward to it.
Oh yeah it was a betamax. Looks like I need to do another rewatch. To this day the ending of that episode just destroys me though. Poor Faye. ;_;

iavi

Articalys said:
Looking forward to it.

I wouldn't watch the movie in between the series like that, hell; I wouldn't watch the movie right after marathoning it... if I hadn't done it already. The movie felt like it would have been a great "return to the universe," so to speak, There's not much to it besides that.

I would save it for later when you're in the middle of a drought, and are in need of a little bit of rain. Yo'll get more out of it that way.

Hellsing321 said:
Oh yeah it was a betamax. Looks like I need to do another rewatch. To this day the ending of that episode just destroys me though. Poor Faye. ;_;

that's the part where she
see's a glimpse of her past right?

Infinite Justice said:
Yes, it's perhaps the most powerful moment in the series outside the final two-parter.

So X-Men is actually good, huh? I'll put it on my list.

iavi

Dresden said:
I think it's time to rewatch Bebop.

It's time for a fucking Wantanabe rewatch. I do it about once a year, and it's coming up on that time.

Thinking about it, what the hell has he been up to? Last time I think he was part of anything was on Mitchiko to Hatchin and that was as the music director, I think.

Edit: looked it up. He was in charge of music production, if that term makes the end result any different?

Branduil

hosannainexcelsis said:
Yes, it's perhaps the most powerful moment in the series outside the final two-parter.

The most powerful part outside of the last two episodes is the end of 24.

Dresden

Miri said:
It's time for a fucking Wantanabe rewatch. I do it about once a year, and it's coming up on that time.

Thinking about it, what the hell has he been up to? Last time I think he was part of anything was on Mitchiko to Hatchin and that was as the music director, I think.
I think he did the first opening for Star Driver.

iavi

Dresden said:
I think he did the first opening for Star Driver.

Get the fuck out of here.

edit: Holy shit, you're right! He was also the "Storyboard & unit director..." ugh, well that's a stain on the resume sheet.

7Th

Why are you guys hating on Star Driver's first OP? It is possible to appreciate, maybe even LOVE, OPs, EDs and even entire episodes without actually liking the show they belong to...

iavi

Dresden said:
It was his finest work. A career-defining moment.

You've seen one too many nazi bears, or something, Dresden.

7Th said:
Why are you guys hating on Star Driver's first OP? It is possible to appreciate, maybe even LOVE, OPs, EDs and even entire episodes without actually liking the show they belong to...

Not guilty. I actually like that op vid, a lot. It's that I never knew Wantanabe directed it.

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
Quite.
Miri said:
Yeah. One of Bebops better eps.
That's like saying one of the excellent episodes, as opposed to the merely very good episodes. It's all good.
Miri said:
Get the fuck out of here.

edit: Holy shit, you're right! He was also the "Storyboard & unit director..." ugh, well that's a stain on the resume sheet.
How is that a stain? The first OP is excellent.

duckroll

7Th said:

I dunno. They're insane. It's a pretty solid OP, and very original. Too bad the song sucked balls.

Dresden

7Th said:
Hey, I wasn't hatin'.

cosmicblizzard said:
OP 2 is better.
Dude, that's crazy. Only thing better about it is the boobs.

iavi

Jexhius said:
How is that a stain? The first OP is excellent.

Ah, I actually take that back. I misread the info. He only touched the op. I thought it said that he did storyboards for the whole show. Not a stain at all.

Jexhius said:
That's like saying one of the excellent episodes, as opposed to the merely very good episodes. It's all good.

There were some episodes of Bebop that I would say were 'just okay', but point taken.

cosmicblizzard said:
OP 2 is better.

I think it's better as an opening (as in showcasing the cast and such), but the first opening is way more original looking.

hosannainexcelsis said:

Miri said:
Yeah. One of Bebops better eps.

Hellsing321 said:
yeah see gets a video from herself as a young girl telling her she'll always be cheering for her
;_;

yea i liked that ep and it was a surprise when it was revealed.

Jex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I think it's better as an opening (as in showcasing the cast and such), but the first opening is way more original looking.
I don't think an opening is good because it showcases the cast.

So I a friend and I watched the first half of Linebarrels of Iron yesterday. It wasn't that bad. I mean the characters and such are really lame generic robot anime, but the pacing and story progression is pretty crazy and over the top. It's a pretty fast paced show.

Pretty a mech show for the Code Geass generation.

How is Star Driver?

Jexhius said:
I don't think an opening is good because it showcases the cast.

Well, I meant that it's better at actually showcasing the show. I would pick the second opening to show someone if I wanted to give them an idea of what Star Driver was (not that I would do that, because I don't really think Star Driver is worth showing to someone).

Dresden said:
Dude, that's crazy. Only thing better about it is the boobs.

IDK, the first OP just wasn't interesting at all for me. It's just a dude running. Tells you nothing about the show. You can barely even tell what genre it is.

OP 2 has action, dramatic foreshadowing, characters displaying personality, epic zoom outs, symbolism. Song isn't so bad either.

Just my opinion of course.

Rahxephon91 said:
So I a friend and I watched the first half of Linebarrels of Iron yesterday. It wasn't that bad. I mean the characters and such are really lame generic robot anime, but the pacing and story progression is pretty crazy and over the top. It's a pretty fast paced show.

Pretty a mech show for the Code Gess generation.

How is Star Driver?

Code Geass is much more entertianing imo.

Articalys

Miri said:
I wouldn't watch the movie in between the series like that, hell; I wouldn't watch the movie right after marathoning it... if I hadn't done it already. The movie felt like it would have been a great "return to the universe," so to speak, There's not much to it besides that.

I would save it for later when you're in the middle of a drought, and are in need of a little bit of rain. Yo'll get more out of it that way.
Yeah, that makes more sense. It would probably interrupt the series flow.
Glad I've somehow inspired a Bebop discussion; it's my first time through the whole series and I'm really enjoying it.
As for the aspect ratio, I watched the first episode in stretched widescreen then decided I wanted the "authentic" experience and set the output to 4:3 for everything else so far.
I prefer Star Driver OP1 because I like Aqua Timez.

iavi

Watching the second Star Driver op now, I had given the show up before they even got to it...
Yeah, this song is song is a whole lot better, but this video is typical as shit.

Dresden

Rahxephon91 said:
How is Star Diver?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409108

Just read the first page.

cosmicblizzard said:
IDK, the first OP just wasn't interesting at all for me. It's just a dude running. Tells you nothing about the show. You can barely even tell what genre it is.

OP 2 has action, dramatic foreshadowing, characters displaying personality, epic zoom outs, symbolism. Song isn't so bad either.

Just my opinion of course.
I thought the song was worse, too. Asides from naked Kanako it doesn't have anything great, imo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
duckroll said:
Yeah but he made a generic mecha anime OP instead of something creative.
But that's the point!
––Ahaha. That was a long introduction, so let’s get to talking about the opening itself. First off, everyone’s been wondering about how it starts off the same way as the first opening, what was the intent behind that?

“Personally, I really love the first opening. I think it’s definitely one of the best pieces of work in anime in recent years. It’s kind of unusual as an opening, but it’s really cool. Though, if you told me to make something like that, I’d be in serious trouble (lol). For the second half, Igarashi ordered “a traditional robot anime opening.”

––Oh, I see. The classic feel was an order from the director.

“Also, we took on a Bones series opening as Studio Khara (* they’re producing the Rebuild of Evangelion series) we made it similar to the G Gundam Opening.”
http://ninteenpointzerofour.wordpre...iew-w-tsurumaki-kazuya-storyboard-for-2nd-op/

iavi

I was about to say that it felt very Bones-ish, which isn't a bad thing when it omes to anime OPs, at all. But I'm always done feeling like I've seen them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom