• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jexhius said:
Apart from episode 21, I don't think there are any I'd rank so low!

I never cared much for "Heavy Metal Queen". It's been awhile since I watched the show, but I recall there being a couple of other episodes that I wasn't particularly enamored with (although nothing I would say I disliked).

Miri said:
Watching the second Star Driver op now, I had given the show up before they even got to it...
Yeah, this song is song is a whole lot better, but this video is typical as shit.

I thought the song for the first opening was a lot better, personally. I really enjoyed that song.

iavi

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I never cared much for "Heavy Metal Queen". It's been awhile since I watched the show, but I recall there being a couple of other episodes that I wasn't particularly enamored with (although nothing I would say I disliked).

There's actually one ep that I, to this day, dislike, and that's the cult indoctrination ep. Can't bring myself to see what the point of it was.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I thought the song for the first opening was a lot better, personally. I really enjoyed that song.

Ha, it's actually the only Aqua Timez song that I've heard and ever liked. I'm a bigger fan of the female bubblegum jpop though. So catchy.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
First TWOGK and now Star Driver OPs. The madness never ends.
By the way, ginga is the lead for Dog Days, a.k.a. show of the year.

Airs tomorrow, I can't wait.

U0GLu.jpg

Jex

Talking of OP's, I guess you can display the cast in a non-generic way. All you need it motion blur!

cbop2.jpg

Infinite Justice said:
Code Geass is much more entertianing imo.
Well, I legitimately liked Code Geass until about episode 13 or something and then it got a bit dumb and then the last three episodes where pretty amazing. Then season 2 happened and I was just like whatever, I want to see how far this can go.

I'm watching Linebarrels and I guess I'm enjoying the over the topness because I am kind of making fun of it with my friend. But it's still pretty enjoyable in a way. I haven't watched a lot of anime recently this Linebarrels thing has kind of brought me back. So thanks to Netflix I have FMA Brotherhood and Casshern to watch.

duckroll said:
You'll love it.
I wonder if that's a good thing.

But yeah I see it has Utena connections and it's by Bones. I guess I will look into it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
By the way, ginga is the lead for Dog Days, a.k.a. show of the year.

Airs tomorrow, I can't wait.

http://i.imgur.com/U0GLu.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I feel like I need to watch that Fox girl meets human soldier show from a couple of seasons ago first!

[B]Bebop 1[/B] was a neat introduction to the series. Certainly it sets up the tone and the themes of the series pretty well and that soundtrack is pretty awesome. It evokes westerns, but there's enough Jazz that I got some Blade Runner vibes as well. Question is do I go on or jump to Utena 14.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I don't think an opening is good because it showcases the cast.
The NTHT OP does that and it's one of the most boring OPs I have ever seen. The show is still great but that OP does not make you want to watch the show at all.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Bebop 1 was a neat introduction to the series. Certainly it sets up the tone and the themes of the series pretty well and that soundtrack is pretty awesome. It evokes westerns, but there's enough Jazz that I got some Blade Runner vibes as well. Question is do I go on or jump to Utena 14.

Honest question, is Utena actually even good? I see you guys gushing over it all the time, but this whole time I've been thinking that it's because it is one of the so-bad-its-good deals.

Go on to another Bebop ep

Dresden

Miri said:
Honest question, is Utena actually even good? I see you guys gushing over it all the time, but this whole time I've been thinking that it's because it is one of the so-bad-its-good deals.
Uh-oh, here comes icarus.

Jex

Miri said:
Oh, definitely.

duckroll

Miri said:

Go on to another Bebop ep

You're thinking of Wolverine. That's the so-bad-its-good deal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
No, it's not another Infinite Stratos where we all watch it because we hate ourselves. Utena is a really rich show, barring the stupid stairway climbing scene that appears in each episode. For the animation/visual/action whores, there's a lot there and for the theme-whores like me, each episode is a cornucopia of repressed sexuality and human urges expressed through various metaphors.

Geneijin

You guys can be quite sinister.

Cwarrior said:
I am still disappointed at gaf for not warning me, I wasted 58 mins watching this shit last night (I think maybe gaf hates me).
Might as well watch Bible Black for the plot to fix that.

Dresden said:
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing--watching Infinite Cockblock in public--people are tossing odd looks at me--but it's my laptop, you curs.
How brave of you but poor judgment. You must have done this with Index already and felt completely fine with it. Talk about right and wrong.

duckroll said:
Who wasn't going to watch it for the bishounen anyway?

Steroyd

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 Speed Run - 05

Curse my body needing substinance to survive, would have made it through an extra episode.

I think this episode says it all when even pin susses you out, and they still don't get to the point, this would be less annoying if they weren't tripping over their own feet all the time.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
No, it's not another Infinite Stratos where we all watch it because we hate ourselves. Utena is a really rich show, barring the stupid stairway climbing scene that appears in each episode. For the animation/visual/action whores, there's a lot there and for the theme-whores like me, each episode is a cornucopia of repressed sexuality and human urges expressed through various metaphors.
Are you telling me that the sword is phallic????

Also, I don't think it's very hard to tell apart the "This show is awesome" posts from the "Man, this awesome show is so awesome. I loved the part where the main character was attracted to his sister, but she's under-age. That's what makes it great" posts.

Lain

Miri said:
Nope, it's not good. It's better. It's awesome.

Geneijin said:
Might as well watch Bible Black for the plot to fix that.
He'd probably be too distracted by the futa to enjoy that plot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:

Curse my body needing substinance to survive, would have made it through an extra episode.

I think this episode says it all when even pin susses you out, and they still don't get to the point, this would be less annoying if they weren't tripping over their own feet all the time.
You're missing the point!

Jexhius said:

Also, I don't think it's very hard to tell apart the "This show is awesome" posts from the "Man, this awesome show is so awesome. I loved the part where the main character was attracted to his sister, but she's under-age. That's what makes it great" posts.
Stop colonizing a queer space with your penis!

Erm. Well, I dunno, given how people have broken down Infinite Stratos to its threadbare core, maybe someone could read those posts as actual enjoyment.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
What? Those scenes are legendary.
It's the equivalent of watching Sailor Moon transform in every episode.

At least the song is bad ass.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Miri said:
Everything was great about it, outside of how repetitive it was.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:

Oh dear god, I thought that was not going to happen in every episode, what is this a magical girl anime, it's annoying enough in Heartcatch Precure. :<

You're missing the point!

I'd be more understanding if the rival was the one to muck things up between them, but there is literally no barrier between the two other than themselves, and we've already spent a whole season prising Sawako out of her bloody shell.

iavi

duckroll said:
You're thinking of Wolverine. That's the so-bad-its-good deal.

I'm, ah, never going to watch this. I've never been a fan of the Xmen, honestly; think the whole thing is goofy as shit.

firehawk12 said:

This sounds like something I'm down for. Watch confirmed with the quickness.

Jexhius said:

It is if you've never cared to make the discernment in the first place.

Branduil

Jexhius said:

You wouldn't think so, but this is anime-GAF after all.

7Th said:
You know what Takuya Igarashi show had a very awesome OP and a very awesome ED? Nadja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPE7Ze-aWk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHstphasrdI
Yes we know you post it every 50 pages.

7Th

Steroyd said:
Oh dear god, I thought that was not going to happen in every episode, what is this a magical girl anime, it's annoying enough in Heartcatch Precure. :<

You seriously didn't know Utena was a magical girl anime?

Jex

Steroyd said:

Carry on, my spiritual brother.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
In comes the "Utena is not a magical girl show" defense force? :lol

Miri said:
This sounds like something I'm down for. Watch confirmed with the quickness.
Yeah, I just stopped because I got distracted by other things. But if I can watch The Wire over a week, Utena or Bebop shouldn't be a problem. It's just doing it. :lol

Dresden

Geneijin said:
How brave of you but poor judgment. You must have done this with Index already and felt completely fine with it. Talk about right and wrong.
No, it was my first time. I felt like an would-be nudist about to embark on his first trip to the beach with nothing on.

firehawk12 said:
It's the equivalent of watching Sailor Moon transform in every episode.

At least the song is bad ass.

The song alone makes it awesome. There was a time that stuff like that bugged me, but now I embrace it. I think the stairs climbing scenes are a part of the charm of the series.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sometimes I think that Dog Days is a School Days spinoff with dog girls.

Steroyd

Oh no what have I done.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The song alone makes it awesome. There was a time that stuff like that bugged me, but now I embrace it. I think the stairs climbing scenes are a part of the charm of the series.

Just about the only thing that would stop me from skipping that outright ifor the next 37 episodes.

Random thought: Is Sailor Moon the oldest magical girl ever?

jman2050

Orin GA said:
I CAN SMELL THE GENERIC ALREADY!

If you told an ignorant me that this was some sort of Nanoha spinoff I absolutely would believe that.

EDIT - I just saw it was a Seven Arcs show. Go figure.

Geneijin

Lain said:
He'd probably be too distracted by the futa to enjoy that plot.
Hard to say really. It is integral to the genre.

Dresden said:
No, it was my first time. I felt like an would-be nudist about to embark on his first trip to the beach with nothing on.
I thought it was instinctive knowledge what's appropriate for public consumption.

Infinite Justice said:
wmA92.jpg

A life lesson of course.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh Storm how ye tempt me! ;_; Now I'll have to watch it!

Warning: Melody of Oblivion also has Utena connections. Utena connections are misleading as hell these days.

I'll probably cry myself into a fetal position in the corner if Kunihiko Ikuhara's upcoming series is as bad as Star Driver and MoO.
But I'd watch every second anyway.

MoO is worth it for the incredible troll ending that Gainax will never top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom