• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Wandering Son 10-11

I cannot praise these two episodes enough. What a great, great show.

Admittedly, I was kind of down on it after episode 9 but boy do these make up for it big time. Man, do I love these characters. Now I'm even more disappointed the show had such low ratings as it deserved so much more.

As a matter of fact now I'm remiss of checking the manga because this wrap-up was just so damn satisfying. It left me with such a warm, fuzzy feeling I could barf kittens right now.

Fucking watch this, is all I can say.

flawfuls

doomed1 said:
Samantha is thousands of years old, so I fail to see your reasoning.

Oh whoops I saw the cardcaptor picture and thought you were talking about that, but now that I think about it that show isn't even as old as sailor moon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I *think* I was joking, but I'm not sure anymore. :lol

icarus-daedelus said:
As a fellow theme-whore I'm pretty proud of you for figuring this out already, but that stuff is comparatively thin on the ground in the first arc because of the faux-normal thing it tries to maintain at first glance. It really amps up explorations of gender roles, sexuality, adolescence, and all of that stuff and goes into allegorical overdrive from the second arc onwards.

So, in other words, go finish it already you smelly procrastinator!
So, it gets more insane later on?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
icarus-daedelus said:
I feel like I was trolled when you convinced me to watch the last four episodes, even though I knew what they were going to be like going in.

Well, sort of knew. Nothing can really prepare you for MoOoOoOoooo~

BIO CONCERT!

jman2050

kiunchbb said:
Nanoha isn't magical girl starting StrikerS, even in the anime they call them "mages".

also StrikerS is just a mediocre Nanoha fanfic

Force and ViVid don't exist

ollin said:
Infinite Stratos
F the haters. Best anime from last season. Can't wait for season 2.

Oh lawd

jman2050 said:
also StrikerS is just a mediocre Nanoha fanfic

Force and ViVid don't exist

What are you guys going on about? They never made anymore new Nanoha stories after the end of As. I've always wondered why.

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:
What are you guys going on about? They never made anymore new Nanoha stories after the end of As. I've always wondered why.

They realized they couldn't possibly surpass the end of A's and decided to go out on top obviously.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
There's...there's going to be a season 2?
The first season is going to sell like hotcakes. If madoka wasn't around it'd be the biggest hit in months.

Meanwhile I'd be surprised if Wandering Son sold more than a thousand copies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
Magical Girls were born from Bewitched, anime in general was born from Disney.

American supremacy!
What will the weeaboos do when they realize they're really...

WESTABOOS! D:

Branduil

Glass Fleet 1

11j93zt.gif

No one does terrible original anime quite like Gonzo.

Michel should be known as "Diarrhea Monologue-san."

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
And what of those of us without neckbeards? Muahahaha, welcome to the fold, brother!

Isn't it just the most awful thing?
I love the ludicrously campy, evil aristocracy.

"Catch him before my tea gets cold, fop fop."

Clott

trejo said:
Wandering Son 10-11

I cannot praise these two episodes enough. What a great, great show.

Admittedly, I was kind of down on it after episode 9 but boy do these make up for it big time. Man, do I love these characters. Now I'm even more disappointed the show had such low ratings as it deserved so much more.

As a matter of fact now I'm remiss of checking the manga because this wrap-up was just so damn satisfying. It left me with such a warm, fuzzy feeling I could barf kittens right now.

Fucking watch this, is all I can say.

Every time someone mention's this show I almost give it a chance, but the premise is just something I am totally not interested in.

BluWacky

Branduil said:
I love the ludicrously campy, evil aristocracy.

"Catch him before my tea gets cold, fop fop."

The fourth episode has an AMAZING tea based moment. Tea in the face of planetary adversity!

I paid to watch a streaming preview of the first episode of Garakan. The promo art looked gorgeous! But oh how wrong I was... it's the same trick InfiniteNine's trying to pull with the Steins Gate VN artwork - the show is NOT going to look like that...

duckroll

BluWacky said:
The fourth episode has an AMAZING tea based moment. Tea in the face of planetary adversity!

I paid to watch a streaming preview of the first episode of Garakan. The promo art looked gorgeous! But oh how wrong I was... it's the same trick InfiniteNine's trying to pull with the Steins Gate VN artwork - the show is NOT going to look like that...

See? Others might trick you with lies and bait/switch nonsense. But not duckroll! Go watch X-Men instead!

7Th

BluWacky said:

He also used manga/light novel/VN art for Lotte, Maria+Holic, A Channel, Sket Dance, Deadman Wonderland, Denpa Onna, Ao no Exorcist, Hidan no Aria, OreTsubasa and Hoshizora. So much trickery! So much deception!

Clott said:
Every time someone mention's this show I almost give it a chance, but the premise is just something I am totally not interested in.
You don't have to be interested in transgendered issues to enjoy it or empathize with the characters. Of course if you need action in your anime then its not good for that but if your looking for well written stories with well written characters then its one of the best shows to be released in the past few years.

duckroll

7Th said:
He also used manga/light novel/VN art for Lotte, Maria+Holic, A Channel, Sket Dance, Deadman Wonderland, Denpa Onna, Ao no Exorcist, Hidan no Aria, OreTsubasa and Hoshizora. So much trickery! So much deception!

It is to be expected in this industry!

Hellsing321 said:
You don't have to be interested in transgendered issues to enjoy it or empathize with the characters. Of course if you need action in your anime then its not good for that but if your looking for well written stories with well written characters then its one of the best shows to be released in the past few years.

I'd say you don't even need the qualifier "the past few years" added on to that statement. Wandering Son has taken its place among the all time greats in my mind. The characters are all well written and I think the show is really paced extremely well, too.

jman2050

Hellsing321 said:

Just as a quick check, what western shows do you think come to mind that are similar in tone to Wandering Son?

7Th said:

If it makes for a prettier OP, it's worth it.

flawfuls

hosannainexcelsis said:
If it makes for a prettier OP, it's worth it.

Indeed. It's not like you can judge how a show looks from those kinds of shots anyway. Even the ones that are using official anime images aren't necessarily indicative of how the show will really look.

jman2050 said:
Just as a quick check, what western shows do you think come to mind that are similar in tone to Wandering Son?
This will probably show my age but if I think it feels similar in tone to the Wonder Years.

duckroll

flawfuls said:
Indeed. It's not like you can judge how a show looks from those kinds of shots anyway. Even the ones that are using official anime images aren't necessarily indicative of how the show will really look.

Okay which one do you think is indicative of how the Steins;Gate anime looks?

ijU40M.png

bnr_anim.jpg

Geneijin

shintoki said:
Ikkitousen for girls!
Please. It's a very serious drama. Those who have watched Episode 1 and onward can attest to this.

Expecting those who've watched up to Episode 6 to help me out here.

flawfuls

duckroll said:
Okay which one do you think is indicative of how the Steins;Gate anime looks?

http://i.min.us/ijU40M.png[img]

[img]http://steinsgate.jp/img/top/bnr_anim.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Well obviously the second one, but my point was that those images aren't very useful for showing how a show looks either so why bother. I don't think most people will expect Steins;Gate to look like the first image because of the banner.

jman2050

Hellsing321 said:
This will probably show my age but if I think it feels similar in tone to the Wonder Years.

You gave exactly the answer I was expecting to get (well, one of them anyway), which seems to confirm my initial impressions of the series pre-release.

Hint: I did not like The Wonder Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom