• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
N2J7h.jpg

The main villain and his... boy.
Hmm... hot?

trejo

You Are Umasou

What a seriously great little movie and so full of soul. Got a bit misty eyed a couple of times.

jman2050

Oh god Ralph drawing a sword. "I-I-I'll protecct you!"

EDIT - "Then I will remember this name Cleo... but... only until your final breath"

".....the wind has other plans......"

I don't even know what to say. And we're like 3 minutes in.

Branduil

"Congratulations, you're the second man to make me unfasten my button."

"Trying to look smooth, are you? Come at me again and I'll cut the clothes right off you."

Time to join this party!

Glass Fleet 1

First of all, whoever was the costume designer for this should be given a medal. I cannot stop laughing whenever anyone is on screen because their outfit is just too ridiculous.

Why does this society have the technology for space travel but no way to send long-distance messages except by fireworks and telegraph?

Why is space green?

Why do all the planets (?) look like the result of someone messing around with the terrain editor in Sim City?

Is there atmosphere anywhere? How are these people breathing?

Hey, Laura Bailey! Why is she here?

"They didn't need another tyrant. They needed a savior." I thought you would say democratic government, but whatever.

"God of the Black Cross"? This is some real Biblical mash-up going on.

Now space is purple? The giant organ must have sucked in all the green.

Did they just join two planets together and immediately turn on electricity for both? And I thought normal weddings were expensive.

This rhetoric about aristocracy and "the people" couldn't be more heavy-handed if it tried.

Just what every frontline battle commander needs: tea served by a cute maid. Why are Michel's assistants a maid and a butler anyway?

Michel's ship appears to made of stained glass. Not the most practical of materials, but I have to admit it looks neat.

THE PEOPLE! Ha, ha, this harmonica music.

They must have recruited someone from DeviantArt to draw this ED.

In summary: does not disappoint.

Dresden

Branduil said:
"Congratulations, you're the second man to make me unfasten my button."

"Trying to look smooth, are you? Come at me again and I'll cut the clothes right off you."

Fucking hell, I was going to stop watching this.

Sonicbug

Oh hey, the spring anime topic is moving fast...

Wait. Why is everyone watching Glass Fleet?

Oh god, I tried to watch this show once and made it through an episode and a half and gave up.

I'm not even sure if it was one episode I made it through or five. The show was so mind numbing I can't remember.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Umasou really is as endearing as those American dinosaur cartoons... before they made 10 of them and turned the franchise irrelevant.

And maybe I should skip Bebop/Utena and do this Glass Fleet thing...

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Umasou really is as endearing as those American dinosaur cartoons... before they made 10 of them and turned the franchise irrelevant.

Land Before Time. I grew up on those films. I wonder if they'd hold up now... maybe I'll go through it for nostalgia's sake.

And no, don't do the Glass Feet thing. Don't fall into all that flashy temptation!

Miri said:
Land Before Time. I grew up on those films. I wonder if they'd hold up now... maybe I'll go through it for nostalgia's sake.

I loved those films growing up as well. I suspect the first one would hold up, considering it's Don Bluth, but all the direct-to-video sequels probably wouldn't.

firehawk12 said:
And maybe I should skip Bebop/Utena and do this Glass Fleet thing...

Bebop may be a better use of your time, but which show has the crazier outfits? Ask yourself that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's sad that the first Anime-GAF Watches is a Gonzo show.

Branduil

"Let's retire to the bedroom. I'll prepare a bath and wash the dirt of that grimy planet from your skin, and tonight you'll sleep on a bed of your favorite rose petals. We'll go to sleep and forget about everything."

this%20is%20deliberately%20creepy%20right.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Damn didn't know all of you guys were watching glass fleet, i might haft to join the party sometime (maybe tomorrow?) :p

I found random review quotes for this show on wikipedia. They are excessively kind to it. I'm actually not entirely sure they saw the same Glass Fleet I did.
You gotta remember that the rest of the anime watching public is not as harsh as some of the critics here!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
Glass Fleet

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. This is wonderfully terrible. It kind of makes me miss Gonzo.
Finally you all are seeing what I'm seeing in them.

Maybe I should rewatch Glass Fleet. I can't remember a thing other then the ending and looking at MAL... It got an a higher score than most other Gonzo shows.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 5

How long are they not going to reveal that Michel is a girl? Seriously?

Not even trying to be ambiguous about Vetti/Ralph's blatant pederast relationship any more.

Oh come on, even Ackbar could see this one coming.

Eva 2.22
Wow. The english voice cast did a great job with this one. Spike Spencer has really improved since when he first voiced Shinji in the TV series. I got goosebumps when he was
Destroying Nerv and yelling for Rei at the end.
The VA they choose for Mari was awesome as well. I actually like her better than Mayaa Sakamoto in the role, if you can believe it. She was suitably crazy during ZA BEASTO and had some great lines "POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!"

All in all a great dubbing job by Funimation and the quality of the BD is beautiful. The extra features are a bit lacking but thats been par for the course for most Anime BDs I've seen.

Now for my promised Asuka image dump

6XxBal.jpg

Asuka sees what you did there and she doesn't like it.

R46v6l.png

Fuck your shit! I'm drinking milk!

itEABl.jpg

You disgust Asuka.

i27Kml.png

Sleeping Asuka is watching you masturbate.

sU2LEl.jpg

Chef Ramsey ain't got shit on Asuka.

5I5m0l.jpg

luw5wl.jpg

New plug suit Asuka for your viewing pleasure.

And the moment you've all been waiting for...
Akzhel.jpg

Pirate Asuka! Arrgh B-baka! It's not like I put this eyepatch on for you.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hellsing321 said:
Eva 2.22
The VA they choose for Mari was awesome as well. I actually like her better than Mayaa Sakamoto in the role, if you can believe it. She was suitably crazy during ZA BEASTO and had some great lines "POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!"
I agree with this.

It's a shame that the dub still has Tiffany Grant as Asuka, though. She's terrible and it takes away from it as a whole. Actually, Allison Keith as Misato is terrible too. Spike Spencer is good in Rebuild though.

Glass Fleet 2

Space is without wind, but somehow it still carries people's voices.

Having just watched Mushi-Shi dubbed, whenever Cleo opens his mouth I can't help picturing Ginko. That may be the best part of this show.

Cleo's subordinates, on the other hand, are some of the hammiest VAs around.

Ralph is a seriously creepy character. I guess that's why he has the British accent.

"Falsehoods become... truth?" The writers aren't even trying.

Jex

Halycon said:
It's sad that the first Anime-GAF Watches is a Gonzo show.
Very sad.

Also, you'll never ensnare me!
Aigis said:
I agree with this.

It's a shame that the dub still has Tiffany Grant as Asuka, though. She's terrible and it takes away from it as a whole. Actually, Allison Keith as Misato is terrible too. Spike Spencer is good in Rebuild though.
This is why I so rarely watch dubs. Even if there are some good choices someone lets down the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom