• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zombies 11 and 12

I like how his response to all the craziness that happens is "I'm never going to the pool with them again" :lol

12 was funny but was more of an epilogue than a finale. 11 was definitely the end of the conflict and really fuckin cool. The two going back and forth with the percentages increasing was awesome. Kind of dumb that the solution was something he wanted in the first place and was just a result of Eu being stubborn, but oh well. Still fun to watch. I'm guessing that pink haired girl with the hat is a character in the light novels and not just some random weird person.

Overall, I still say this is the show of the winter season. Too bad this probably won't get a 2nd season. Guess I'll have to read the slow ass manga.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I found random review quotes for this show on wikipedia. They are excessively kind to it. I'm actually not entirely sure they saw the same Glass Fleet I did.

I just had to bold the entirety of the last quote because, well, just look at it.
If that's not enough to make someone ignore pretty much all anime reviews, I don't know what is.
Branduil said:
IS is dime-a-dozen trash. It has nothing on Glass Fleet.
You salesman you.

Glass Fleet 1(Yes, I've gotten caught up in this madness):
That was just...wow. We start out in the middle of a battle between copypasta ships that no one cares about, culminating in the sudden (and quick) death of some character nobody caries about. This just leads us to the main character giving some weird thought about saviors in the middle of a completely different scene, before we get to a bunch of random scenes seemingly unconnected accept to give the universe 'character' (they fail). Then we get to the crux of it all, the marriage interruption scene in which I can only conclude that the composer had already realized the show's writing was beyond repair and thus endeavored to make something 'so bad it's good'. The music in that scene turns it into one of the most (unintentionally?) hilarious things I've heard in a good long time.

After this, the rest of the episode pretty much sucks, and we find out that characters inexplicably think that our hero is a man despite having a female name, looking female, and having a female voice. Oh Gonzo, you so silly. And boy, they're really heavy-handed with stuff in this episode. I think pretty much every enemy is stuffing their face at one point or another.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
After this, the rest of the episode pretty much sucks, and we find out that characters inexplicably think that our hero is a man despite having a female name, looking female, and having a female voice. Oh Gonzo, you so silly. And boy, they're really heavy-handed with stuff in this episode. I think pretty much every enemy is stuffing their face at one point or another.

To be fair, Michel is a male name.

Articalys

Well, I'm sure no one else gives a care, but for the sake of completeness, the finalized participant list for ISML:

Iwasawa Asami (Angel Beats!)
Nakamura Yuri (Angel Beats!)
Shiina (Angel Beats!)
Tachibana Kanade (Angel Beats!)
Yui (Angel Beats!)
Sengoku Nadeko (Bakemonogatari)
Senjōgahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)
Kuroi Mato (Black ★ Rock Shooter)
Fujibayashi Kyō (CLANNAD)
Furukawa Nagisa (CLANNAD)
Sakagami Tomoyo (CLANNAD)
C.C. (Code Geass)
Saber (Fate/stay night)
Tōsaka Rin (Fate/stay night)
Victorique de Blois (GOSICK)
Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku!)
Sanzen'in Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku!)
Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos)
Huang Lingyin (Infinite Stratos)
Laura Bodewig (Infinite Stratos)
Shinonono Hōki (Infinite Stratos)
Akiyama Mio (K-ON!)
Hirasawa Ui (K-ON!)
Hirasawa Yui (K-ON!)
Kotobuki Tsumugi (K-ON!)
Nakano Azusa (K-ON!)
Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Haruna (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Seraphim (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky ☆ Star)
Izumi Konata (Lucky ☆ Star)
Fate Testarossa (Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha)
Aragaki Ayase (Ore no Imōto)
Kuroneko (Ore no Imōto)
Kōsaka Kirino (Ore no Imōto)
Shiina Mafuyu (Seitokai no Ichizon)
Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
Nymph (Sora no Otoshimono)
Holo (Spice and Wolf)
Asahina Mikuru (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
Nagato Yuki (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
Konjiki no Yami (To LOVE-Ru)
Index L. Prohibitorum (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Last Order (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Misaka Mikoto (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Shirai Kuroko (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
Kasugano Sora (Yosuga no Sora)
Louise Vallière (Zero no Tsukaima)

Just under 20% are newcomers. Notably, both the Madoka and TWGOK casts got completely shut out.

The main battles start April 24 for those like me who have nothing better to do with their time.

Steroyd said:
Hen Zemi 01

What. The. Fuck. Doesn't seem to justify what I just watched.
I did say it was a comedy series that's pretty much borderline hentai, didn't I?

The second one's topics are completely different, but it's just as weird... it starts with something about downblouse shots, and finishes with one about a scenario where one of the girls attaches a vibrator to her cellphone, writes her phone number in a mens' room (saying 'call me during class' and suggesting what she'd done), and then waited for the results...

doomed1 said:
LIES AND SLANDER! Kite was the better noir! Don't get me wrong, Mezzo Forte was fun, but Kite's structure felt alot more complete.

I always skip the sex/rape scenes
Then watch the censored US release, it almost completely cuts out the sex scenes. Yeah, it's pretty short without them.

Actually supposedly even the "uncensored" US release is censored versus the Japanese version, but I haven't watched the Japanese version so I can't say how, if that's true.

I liked Mezzo Forte more, though. Better story, lighter overall tone, no real rape (just a dream and a robot). Of course I agree that Mezzo Forte's sex scenes are far too long and unnecessary (even if it's not real, I don't want to watch long rape scenes...), but for that there's the censored version or Mezzo Forte DSA, the series, which doesn't have sex scenes in it. But yeah, because Mezzo Forte's more fun I did probably think it was the better one of the two.

If not for the action scenes the movies would both not be worth considering, for sure. And even then it probably is the controversy that's the main draw, not the action.

Miri said:
The action was alright, I'll admit that. The fall from the bathroom was one of the more interesting use of troll physics that I've seen. But the films 'plot' was never built upon, not even once. They presented you all these semi-interesting scenes with no backing more than the hypocrite club telling them to go kill some more pedos. I wouldn't even bootleg that shit were it a feature film.
The action and controversy are the main reasons Kite became somewhat popular, yeah. As for the plot... it's been a while, but yeah it probably was weak. And that ending is incredibly unsatisfying. The action scenes are what really carry it. The plot's not completely awful, it does manage to be somewhat noir-ish, but it's not great. Mezzo Forte's isn't nearly as depressing, but it's still not exactly a great plot, and the action and controversy still are the main draws.

Steroyd said:
Wow I'll have to own up and say I vaguely recognise the description but totally lost on the title.
Yellow Star wasn't the series' title, that was just the episode name. The series name... I forget. *looks it up* Cool Devices. Hentai OVA series somewhat well known at the time, I think, for pushing boundaries.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jexhius said:
This is why I so rarely watch dubs. Even if there are some good choices someone lets down the team.
Yeah, true. But a good dub is always a nice bonus for me. Sometimes I feel like rewatching things without reading. The Rebuild dubs are good enough for me to do that.

Something like the original Evangelion dub though... shit's awful. Wouldn't listen to it ever.

mollipen

That new plugsuit is seriously enough to make me never want to watch this new version of Eva.

Wandering Son 11 - I can't believe I'm no longer going to be able to end my week with a new episode of the show. Why must everything I love be ripped away from me?! *sobbing* Oh well. Series wasn't exactly what I had originally wanted of it, but for what it was it was so wonderful. Some really, really great moments in the last two episodes that show why I adore this series so much.

If nothing else, it let me see many of the characters from the manga brought to life, and that alone was worth it to me. I'd love to see the show get a chance over here, but I won't be holding my breath.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I don't think it's possible to make a Victorian space battle setting more boring than this without trying really really hard.
To be fair, when something is "so bad it's good" tis tends to come from the people thinking that they're making a good show, but being woefully incompetent.

Articalys

Dresden said:
Somehow Ritsu gets left out but Ui gets in? Fucking nerds.
Just for you, here was Ritsu's last chance, voters pick up to three from the group:

Akemi Homura 3071
Ibuki Fūko 2657
Ōkami Ryōko 2178
Louise Vallière 3465
Sanzen'in Nagi 3640
Tainaka Ritsu 2893
Iwasawa Asami 3252
Astraea 2818

Here's the ISML 2011 PV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8hwr2jKPE

So sad T_T

Articalys said:
Just under 20% are newcomers. Notably, both the Madoka and TWGOK casts got completely shut out.

I see Mato from Black Rock Shooter made the cut.

ISML qualification starts before the winter shows grab anybody's attention. So that tends to happen. Sucks for poor Elsie, I guess.

The main battles start April 24 for those like me who have nothing better to do with their time.

I had enough trouble getting people to vote in the ISML finals last year. To expect anybody to actually follow the whole regular season is asking way too much.

Jex

shidoshi said:
That new plugsuit is seriously enough to make me never want to watch this new version of Eva.
Well it didn't need to exist, but at least it didn't hang around too long. I can't say the same for 'movie Asuka'.

Aigis said:
Yeah, true. But a good dub is always a nice bonus for me. Sometimes I feel like rewatching things without reading. The Rebuild dubs are good enough for me to do that.

Something like the original Evangelion dub though... shit's awful. Wouldn't listen to it ever.
Yeah and if the previews for 3.0 are to be believed, it looks like pirate Asuka is wearing her regular one.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
To be fair, when something is "so bad it's good" tis tends to come from the people thinking that they're making a good show, but being woefully incompetent.
I can't remember an anime that felt more like the product of someone thinking they'd made something really, really awesome, thematically deep, and multilayered.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Articalys said:

Iwasawa Asami (Angel Beats!)
Nakamura Yuri (Angel Beats!)
Shiina (Angel Beats!)
Tachibana Kanade (Angel Beats!)
Yui (Angel Beats!)

Sengoku Nadeko (Bakemonogatari)
Senjōgahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)
Kuroi Mato (Black ★ Rock Shooter)
Fujibayashi Kyō (CLANNAD)
Furukawa Nagisa (CLANNAD)
Sakagami Tomoyo (CLANNAD)

C.C. (Code Geass)
Saber (Fate/stay night)
Tōsaka Rin (Fate/stay night)
Victorique de Blois (GOSICK)
Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku!)
Sanzen'in Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku!)
Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos)
Huang Lingyin (Infinite Stratos)
Laura Bodewig (Infinite Stratos)
Shinonono Hōki (Infinite Stratos)

Akiyama Mio (K-ON!)
Hirasawa Ui (K-ON!)
Hirasawa Yui (K-ON!)
Kotobuki Tsumugi (K-ON!)
Nakano Azusa (K-ON!)

Eucliwood Hellscythe (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Haruna (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Seraphim (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?)
Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky ☆ Star)
Izumi Konata (Lucky ☆ Star)
Fate Testarossa (Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha)
Aragaki Ayase (Ore no Imōto)
Kuroneko (Ore no Imōto)
Kōsaka Kirino (Ore no Imōto)

Shiina Mafuyu (Seitokai no Ichizon)
Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
Nymph (Sora no Otoshimono)
Holo (Spice and Wolf)
Asahina Mikuru (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
Nagato Yuki (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
Suzumiya Haruhi (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)

Konjiki no Yami (To LOVE-Ru)
Index L. Prohibitorum (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Last Order (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Misaka Mikoto (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Shirai Kuroko (Toaru Majutsu no Index)

Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
Kasugano Sora (Yosuga no Sora)
Louise Vallière (Zero no Tsukaima)
Something about bad shows, but popular characters

Jexhius said:
So, uh, you're going to watch all 26 episodes?

I can't even get people to watch 13 episodes of an amazing show, like Mōryō no Hako. Obviously it needed to have more fleet battles and aristocracy.

I can give you a hint at why that happens. I've never once seen you talk about that. Put a picture down and description, not an angry post >_>

Jex

Aigis said:
what is wrong with you people

you could be watching much better shows with your time
I think it's easier for people to pick up a bad show because it can't fail them. If you're trying to sell someone on a show you think is great, there's often the possibility that the other person will disagree.

With terrible shows, however, that is unlikely to happen. Plus, this is to a thread full of people who just watched Infinite Stratos.
shintoki said:
I can give you a hint at why that happens. I've never once seen you talk about that. Put a picture down and description, not an angry post >_>
Well, I've mentioned it about six times and written about it in an Obscure-anime thread. I feel that doing more then that would be pestering.
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm watching Mouryou no Hako though. Don't I count? :<
Of course, if you mention it!
Dresden said:
Done with the second episode of Glass Fleet.

I'm just going to bail out now and watch the abridged episodes.
That sounds like sanity to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinite Stratos is like the anime version of Bill O'Reilly though. You need to watch it just to remind you that you have good taste.

I generally prefer to focus on watching good shows, but with the way that Glass Fleet caught on suddenly, I felt like I just had to see what was up with it.

Branduil

The general problem with Gonzo is that they are just competent enough at some things that their shows fall into the just-bad-enough-to-be-completely-unwatchable category. Glass Fleet is that rare show where everything comes together. And by that I mean there's not a single aspect of the show that is actually good. Other than the music, but that actually heightens the hilarity.

Jex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I generally prefer to focus on watching good shows, but with the way that Glass Fleet caught on suddenly, I felt like I just had to see what was up with it.
True, even I am tempted, which is silly considering I should be using my anime-viewing free time to carry on with good shows. However, I guess it really isn't surprising. The more people are doing something the higher the chance that someone else will come over to find out what it is.

jman2050

Branduil said:
Glass Fleet 5

How long are they not going to reveal that Michel is a girl? Seriously?

Wait, hold on. You mean they're actually trying to set this up as a twist?!

The writers of this show cannot think anyone was fooled for more than five seconds.

Jex

trejo said:
You Are Umasou

What a seriously great little movie and so full of soul. Got a bit misty eyed a couple of times.
It really is. Well, this thread has already given it some love so hopefully more people check it out.
Dresden said:
Fucking hell, I was going to stop watching this.
Don't fall off the wagon!
firehawk12 said:
And maybe I should skip Bebop/Utena and do this Glass Fleet thing...
What have you done to poor firehawk12?

Dresden

Unknown Soldier said:
Glass Fleet is supposedly 24 episodes. Are you guys actually going to watch the whole goddamned thing?
A few brave souls will. At this pace, probably Branduil, Geneijin, and macodin just because he's crazy enough.

flawfuls

Yeah I really should finish M&#333;ry&#333; no Hako. The only reason I stopped was because of the slowass subs.

Speaking of which, did Souten Kouro ever get fully subbed? Reading the Sangokushi manga has given me a renewed interest in everything Romance of the Three kingdoms related.

Branduil

jman2050 said:
Wait, hold on. You mean they're actually trying to set this up as a twist?!

The writers of this show cannot think anyone was fooled for more than five seconds.
It's like if Cowboy Bebop had Man-Faye instead of Faye, and everyone still acted like Man-Faye was a girl the whole time.

Geneijin

flawfuls said:
Speaking of which, did Souten Kouro ever get fully subbed? Reading the Sangokushi manga has given me a renewed interest in everything Romance of the Three kingdoms related.
Nope ;(

Branduil

Unknown Soldier said:
Glass Fleet is supposedly 24 episodes. Are you guys actually going to watch the whole goddamned thing?

I've gotten more entertainment in the first 5 episodes than I ever did from K-on!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
Yeah I really should finish M&#333;ry&#333; no Hako. The only reason I stopped was because of the slowass subs.

Another group just picked it up, and started from 1... they just got to the next episode the last group stopped at. This isn't a joke either.

Jexhius said:
Well, I've mentioned it about six times and written about it in an Obscure-anime thread. I feel that doing more then that would be pestering.
Fitting title, I may have even posted in the thread but don't recall it. 2nd, as I mentioned. A picture and details would help(Not anymore, I already googled it). But similar to what Flawflus does in the Manga thread. I write down or save everything that looks seemingly interesting, but It also has to compete with dozens of other titles too. (For example, Still in my backlog are stuff like Planet Es, Monster, Wandering Son, Freedom, Honey and Clover, Nodame, and many more), I also like to re-watch stuff(Been thinking about Sailor Moon since it's been over a decade).

Jex

flawfuls said:
Yikes, I can imagine that being brutal. It's the kind of show that demands the audience watch the episodes relatively close to each other, so that they can figure out what's going on. And then maybe re-watch from the start immediately afterwards just to double check.

Still, I can't blame them for being slow. Especially considering that episode where everyone talks about hugely obscure Japanese/Chinese mythology in ludicrous amounts of detail. Suddenly you remember that "Oh yes, this was based on a book". It's one of more complex anime that I've ever watched.

mollipen

Aigis said:
You see it for about 3 minutes or so. It's not a problem.

Oh yeah? Okay, that's good to know. I've seen tons of fanart for that particular suit, so I thought it played a bigger part overall.

jman2050

Unknown Soldier said:
I guess I can't watch it then. Anything that Branduil enjoys is by definition bad. Even things that are good.

No one ever said Glass Fleet wasn't bad.

And goddamnit I'm gonna end up watching one more episode before I sleep aren't I.

Branduil

shidoshi said:
Oh yeah? Okay, that's good to know. I've seen tons of fanart for that particular suit, so I thought it played a bigger part overall.
Asuka is pretty much a minor character in the Rebuild films. Thankfully.

Jex

Okay okay how about this: M&#333;ry&#333; no Hako features the best framing devices in anime! How's that for a selling point, huh?
Branduil said:
More crazy talk.

jman2050 said:
No one ever said Glass Fleet wasn't bad.

Well slow down then, I'm almost through TWGOK and I might get a few episodes of it in before I start into the Gundam movies.

Branduil said:

Branduil's 0 for this whole thread so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom