• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for Mar 21 - 27
DVD
*1, 1,555 1,063,167 My Neighbor Totoro
*2, 1,490 *,**1,490 Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru vol.10 Limited Edition
*3, 1,234 *,**1,234 Yosuga no Sora vol.4
*4, 1,184 *,**1,184 Sora no Otoshimono: Forte vol.4 Deluxe Edition
*5, 1,177 *,**3,686 Heartcatch Precure! Hana no To de Fashion Show... Desu ka!? Special Edition
*6, 1,055 *,**1,055 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vol.1 Deluxe Edition
*7, *,994 *,448,704 Kiki's Delivery Service
*8, *,990 *,**4,128 K-ON!! vol.9
*9, *,942 *,**2,904 Nurarihyon no Mago vol.7
10, *,896 *,322,831 Princess Mononoke
11, *,887 *,720,689 Castle in the Sky

Blu-ray
*1, 9,884 *29,850 K-ON!! vol.9 Limited Edition
*2, 5,932 **5,932 Yosuga no Sora vol.5 Limited Edition
*3, 2,281 **2,281 Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Blu-ray BOX
*4, 2,251 **2,251 Sora no Otoshimono: Forte vol.4
*5, 2,197 **2,197 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vol.1 Deluxe Edition
*6, 1,672 **1,672Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *,685 ***,685 Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku vol.4 Limited Edition
*8, *,602 ***,602 Dragon Crisis! vol.2
*9, *,589 **3,715 Shinryaku! Ika Musume vol.4
10, *,561 **2,914 Yumekui Merry vol.1
11, *,545 **2,642 Amagami SS vol.11 Limited Edition
12, *,519 **3,033Tantei Opera Milky Holmes vol.3
13, *,497 *23,331 Castle in the Sky
14, *,485 **2,490 Amagami SS vol.10 Limited Edition
15, *,405 *31,854 K-ON!! vol.8 Limited Edition
16, *,402 108,462 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
17, *,395 **2,501 Heartcatch Precure! Hana no To de Fashion Show... Desu ka!? Special Edition
18, *,391 107,418 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
19, *,347 **4,958 Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail vol.4

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
I guess this is the C trailer, now on youtube.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpmXBR4Aqhg&feature=related

Yeah, it's basically looks like Eden of the East.

It looks more like Yu-gi-oh with all the summoning and cards and shit, i haft to say unlike some of the others ITT i haven't lowered my hype yet, it may look typical, but i expect it to be not so typical considering the director.

The only thing is it has in common with EOTE is it has the same ending band!

Nonoriri said:
Pom Poko is awesome, watch that asap.
Nah it isn't that great really, it's probably the most heavy-handed and un-subtle film of ghibli's works.

That looks so awesome. Kyoani have a another winner on there hands!

BluWacky

Haven't we got Tiger and Bunny at some point to come still from tonight? I mean, it has terrible CG tokusatsu-esque mecha and will probably be LOL SUNRISE, but it could be interesting.

Dog Days looks terrible from that OP. Sorry Seven Arcs fans.

Then again I didn't think much of Nanoha either.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
Hanasaku Iroha airs today. It will also be streamed on Crunchyroll. FROM THE DIRECTOR OF SWORD OF THE STRANGER! OMG!
Looks like we'll have some actual "decent" spring shows to discuss later today!

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Lafiel said:
Nah it isn't that great really, it's probably the most heavy-handed and un-subtle film of ghibli's works.

1301129144661.png

trejo

duckroll said:
Hanasaku Iroha airs today. It will also be streamed on Crunchyroll. FROM THE DIRECTOR OF SWORD OF THE STRANGER! OMG!
You see, it's this sort of deceptive stuff why I keep having second thoughts about the whole X-men thing.

Geneijin

7Th said:
Finally watched X-Men.

>my face when Storm is voiced by Cure MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONRAITO

brb

duckroll said:
Exactly! Not only is his bike not CG, but there are missile trails, and even the enemy mech is hand drawn. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
So they sacrificed Iron Man and Wolverine and siphoned both their animation budgets into X-men's?

duckroll

trejo said:
You see, it's this sort of deceptive stuff why I keep having second thoughts about the whole X-men thing.

Which part of that is.... deceptive? Wut.

Geneijin said:
So they sacrificed Iron Man and Wolverine and siphoned both their animation budgets into X-men's?

Either that, or they were working on Redline while Iron Man and Wolverine were in production. Wrapping Redline up probably freed a lot of studio resources.

Nonoriri

trejo said:

It isn't really deceptive, it's not like director's only produce one kind of product!

trejo

duckroll said:
Which part of that is.... deceptive? Wut.
Sword of the Stranger?! Fuck yes, swords and action.

*youtubes title*

Cute girls doing cute stuff.

:/

Nonoriri said:
It isn't really deceptive, it's not like director's only produce one kind of product!
This is true, though. Please disregard my previous statement.

Steroyd

Kimi ni Todoke S2 why couldn't they do this shit 4 episodes ago run

Episode 11 - Yay and now they're parading their newly developed relationship all over the place, this episode has been the most enjoyable all the way through, I have to wonder why couldn't they do this shit 4 episodes ago?

Epsiode 12 - Can't believe they gave rival girl so much attention what exactly did she do to that was "rivally" against Sawako? She confessed to Kazehaya halfway through season 1 ffs, that tag should have expired by now. And lulz at Ryu if only he replaced Kazehaya they could have done this shit 4 episodes ago.

Steins;Gate and Kaiji C-lo arc in 3 days. Good times!

Must. Finish. Kaiji S1.

iavi

trejo said:
Sword of the Stranger?! Fuck yes, swords and action.

*youtubes title*

Cute girls doing cute stuff.

The show actually looks like it has a bit more to it than that. It's the reason it's on my "watch" list atm, anyway. Will get dropped with a fierceness if that's all it turns out to be though.

Geneijin

To be fair, with the exception of the first Iron Man trailer, X-men's looked the most promising out of the 3. And it has the better art out of the 3.

duckroll said:
Either that, or they were working on Redline while Iron Man and Wolverine were in production. Wrapping Redline up probably freed a lot of studio resources.
And nothing of value was lost. Good for me.

I wonder if there's an OT for X-men.

Dresden

Steroyd said:
The furrometer went off the scale just watching the OP
Miri said:
Don't even think my toilet could handle it. I'd have to call the plumber, for the first time ever.
It has a Mamoru Miyano-voiced magic shota launching fireballs THAT BLOW UP AND STUFF.

I'm sold. It's what Negima's (Branduil: Ken Akamatsu is what's killing anime today) adaptation could've been.

Cwarrior

cosmicblizzard said:
It's a show about a bunch of dudes with powers and the main character negates other powers and also punches a lot of women. There's a lot of fake Christian symbolism because the author knows nothing about the religion and the female lead is amongst the most annoying characters in any medium. When the action starts, she mostly disappears and the show becomes entertaining.

Index is the main story and Railgun is a spinoff starring an important side character.

a side charater got there own show,sounds like the show is very popural for that to happen, the animation looked good from clip I saw with moe girls geting punched.

so who's this annoying character?

jman2050

Cwarrior said:
a side charater got there own show,sounds like the show is very popural for that to happen, the animation looked good from clip I saw with moe girls geting punched.

so who's this annoying charater?

The titular character.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ik5jSO.png

Indeed, indeed, but do you... LOVE THE SEA?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blog post ahoy

2ZF49.jpg

Finally got around to watching this after some procrastination. It stars Riisa Naka, who played the lead in the anime film, so there's a little bit of synergy there (she was also in the Yankee-kun TV adaptation which was cute for what it was). But of course, most of the similarities are mostly thematic.

There are really only two types of time travel stories: the ones about the characters who experience time travel and the ones about that focus more on the worlds that the characters end up in. The anime movie fits the first, while this live action version fits the second. Yet, the stories are almost the same, focusing on the timeless nature of love.

The film is a bit on the nose, in so much as a thread throughout the film involves the making of a film... and as we know, film is the mediated representation of reality that we can control. We can fast forward through the bad parts of a film and rewind and rewatch the good parts. So, of course, it's impossible not to use the film as time travel metaphor. :lol

One interesting bit is that in a way, the movie follows the magical girlfriend storyline - but from the point of view of the girlfriend. As unusual as it would be for a girl to fall into your lap and then you let her live with you, it's equally unusual for a girl to expect some random guy she crashes into to put her up in his home, so I'll give it points for that (and I'd actually want to watch a shitty magical girlfriend anime from the point of view of the girlfriend now that I think about it).

The ending is tragic though and much darker than what happens in the anime film. A few manly tears were shed when the credits came up. Also, no mashing of lips, much to Jexhius' chagrin I'm sure.

It's worth watching if you liked the anime film anyway.

Steroyd

Cwarrior said:

so who's this annoying charater?

to-aru-majutsu-no-index-855-prev.jpg

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
Kimi ni Todoke S2 why couldn't they do this shit 4 episodes ago run
And when I say something like this I get accused of wanting them to have sex.
Dresden said:
A bunch of Dog Days haters in here.
And if I said something like this I'd be a furry.

So, umm, just to beat y'all to the punch I can't wait for the inevitable dog-girls in heat episode, preferably at a hot springs.

mAcOdIn - Have you not watched the last two episodes of IS? I've noticed you didn't comment on my posts about either episode... :)

Gosick 11- Very good episode! This was by far the best episode of the show yet that's set on the school campus. Most of the better episodes of Gosick are the ones set elsewhere, when they go on adventures away from the school, while the ones there aren't as good. However, this episode breaks that trend, and was both set at the school and was quite good. At least we saw none of the classroom though, it was instead set in the library and grounds, mostly. The episode has the usual good art, good music, and solid story that the series always has. The mysteries aren't the most challenging, but that isn't the main point of the show. And anyway, though the mystery this time wasn't incredibly complex, I didn't guess who the real killer is. Maybe I should have, but I didn't.

This episode's main purpose, though, is to tell some backstory. We learn more about Victorique and the inspector's father (he seems like he's... not exactly a nice person, to say the least!), and Victorique's tragic past. The central mystery is a description of one in the past, when the woman her brother loved was accused of murder and he begged her help in solving the case. In the present, that woman (now married to someone else, but still somewhat fond of her brother, clearly, even if they haven't seen eachother in years
and don't actually meet in this episode either, they miss eachother
) is visiting the school, and meets Victorique; she describes parts of what happened to her, and other parts just to her brother.

At that point we learn that when she was little, Victorique was kept in a dungeon. No nice garden area like her current prison, but an underground, dark, damp dungeon, with nobody who cared for her. She claims to him in the flashback that at that point she'd never heard the word love. She demanded for her help that he put his hair in that drill shape he has it in.

And then we learn that he still thinks of her like she was then, a somewhat inhuman-seeming "grey wolf". He claims that Victorique has no emotions, unlike humans, which she isn't because she's just a "grey wolf". Of course though, we know that he's completely wrong about that and she does have feelings... but of course she's too proud to just show him that, so it continues on. Sad.
Overall, good episode, I quite liked it. How long is this series going to be, again?

jman2050 said:
If you told an ignorant me that this was some sort of Nanoha spinoff I absolutely would believe that.

EDIT - I just saw it was a Seven Arcs show. Go figure.
Yeah, it does look like a bad Nanoha knockoff of sorts, doesn't it... too bad the thing is nothing like that and is just generic harem junk, except with dog girls.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
And when I say something like this I get accused of wanting them to have sex.
That's all you guys think about, after all!

Harems: why doesn't the guy have sex?!
Mecha: why don't the robots have sex?!
Shoujo: why doesn't the girl have sex?!
Umasou: why don't the dinosaurs have sex?!

Geneijin

Not bothering with spoilers at all. I'll post this each time I'm talking about this.

Glass Fleet - 9

Wait, wait, wait, wait, Vetti has a shota, soon-to-be-bride in an arranged marriage, a literal man crush, and a possible ex-girlfriend? Same girl shown at courtside when Vetti dueled Michel in Episode 7, which was revealed at the end of Episode 9 to save me the drama. This guy really does have a damn harem growing. Of all that is merciful, may carriages toll the strings of tension in Episode 10.

I'm feeling more and more reluctant to do a summary of what occurs in Glass Fleet. Probably won't anymore. Last time I did one for Episode 7, my writing reflected the atrocious narrative structure. So what else is important?

i3Ec1.jpg

Ralph becomes depressed because he finds out Vetti doesn't have much time to live. Apparently, if Vetti can unify the whole galaxy, he then may possess the resources necessary to reconstruct the ancient past's technology of a battleship capable of time manipulation. So his marriage to the Pope's daughter is necessary because of politics.

Gmu3w.jpg

Edit: I guess I'll add this.

I'm suspecting a possible ex-girlfriend of Vetti's because during the war with the Allied Nobility, B.B. Bardeuax (her name) was his financial backer, but after the war finished, Vetti switched to the Cross-Star Religion headed by the same Pope whose daughter Vetti is trying to get engaged to. Also, this alliance may very well swing the tide of battle.

Let's do mathematics, shall we? Vetti's forces composes of 60% of the entire universe; Michel's 10%, and B.B. 30% who's neutral. Yet Michel has a glass battleship on his side. Doesn't that even things out? I don't know anymore.

Paprikka

A Black Falcon said:
How long is this series going to be, again?
24 episodes. Still waiting for that dang ED to be released, I think it was going to be out in mid-April so not too much more of a wait.

Dresden

Once I watch the first episode I'll be back with dazzling impressions of Dog Days.

firehawk12 said:

Sex makes everything better, though. KnT would've been a masterpiece if some NTR got tossed around.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:

What the... you leave Umasou out of this you heathen. :mad:

Nonoriri

firehawk12 said:

m26_C143_fapfapfap.gif

iavi

Mezzo Forte

Actually finished this one last night, and I gotta say; it wasn't the piece of shit Kite was, that's for sure. It was still a piece of shit, but fell into the so-bad-it's-kinda-good territory. Characters had much more character, the pacing was solid, and the plot made much more sense... which meant that it didn't make much sense at all, but that's just how bad Kite was.
I will congratulate the film on its lessened focus on the wang though, it still had it, and the scenes that had it were arguably more graphic, as both consisted of a train being ran... but it wasn't an every five frame ordeal. There were two scenes--One pointless as shit. One actually used as a plot device...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom