• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Every time I see the acronym KnT, I think you're talking about Kashou no Tsuki.

And I know that on NeoGAF of all places no-one is going to be talking about Kashou no Tsuki.

And Tiger and Bunny is region locked, dammit.

jman2050

Gonzo lol episode 6 first half:

Obvious trap is obvious.

Listening to Michel is like trying to listen to a wall. No matter how hard you try to hear, it's still a goddamn wall.

This is the least subtle Victorian-style royal non-religious homosexual pedophiliac relationship ever.

Isaac kinda sucks, doesn't he.

EDIT - Wait NOW they take into account the vacuum of space?!?! Really? Also the end of this episode is hilarious.

Sonicbug

My twitter feed told me to watch Tiger & Bunny, so I did.

I was actually pleasantly surprised. The overall direction of the plot isn't anything new, but it's well executed. Very strong Incredibles vibe from the whole thing.

Dresden

Dog Days is sure average.

It doesn't have the creepy pedo-lesbo vibes that Nanoha cultivated, so that's a plus. The hero himself is very likable--dashing! But otherwise I don't think I'll watch more of this, not in such a stacked season.

JKTrix

Tiger & Bunny (free on Hulu/ANN/Vizmedia.com)
icarus-daedelus said:
If it's streaming for free I almost feel obligated to watch it.

But isn't that the show where advertisers bought ad space on the mecha?
Yes, and it is hilarious. I seriously busted out laughing when I saw stuff like Pepsi Next and USTREAM logos on them.

But in context it kind of makes sense. It's a reality game show featuring superheroes (who are all mutants who got some kind of super ability). Just like NASCAR drivers have emblems all over themselves, or even those pro Korean Starcraft players (and other sports I'm sure), these heroes get sponsored. So instead of just making up fake companies, they got real ones to participate. Pretty cool.

So we're seeing it from two distinct perspectives so far, one is the 'heroes' as they go about competing on the show. These are real crimes, so the heroes are in fact protecting the city, but they get points based on who gets there first, how many civilians they save from immediate danger, that kind of stuff.

The other is the perspective of it actually being a produced TV show. There is one woman who is the 'producer' of this show, and she is able to communicate with the heroes as things go on. Things like 'Hey, can you not use your finishing move for 30 seconds, we're going to commercial'. The heroes are also concerned with pleasing their sponsors--some of them have very specific behaviours that their sponsors want them to act like.

It's definitely not taking itself seriously. I laughed out loud at how matter-of-fact some of the things are, like the ads. And near the end of the episode, a statue starts walking and they are only momentarily surprised by it. 'Why is that statue moving? Must be a mutant.'

It's fun.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dresden said:

It doesn't have the creepy pedo-lesbo vibes that Nanoha cultivated, so that's a plus. The hero himself is very likable--dashing! But otherwise I don't think I'll watch more of this.

Show's a bit Ruf eh?

Sonicbug

icarus-daedelus said:
If it's streaming for free I almost feel obligated to watch it.

But isn't that the show where advertisers bought ad space on the mechs?

Yeah, they did, but it kinda works in context of the story. (And it's very surreal, in a 5th Element sort of way.)
*Dammit, beaten.

jman2050

The orange-haired girl has the hots for Michel and decides to try and drop in on Michel taking a shower because she wants to see him. Cleo barges in thinking someone is trying to attack.

"HE'S A WOMAN?!?!"

*bangs head against the wall*

Go_Ly_Dow

Just finished Kimi ni Todoke S2.

A charming and satisfying conclusion. I doubt we'll get a season 3 =( so I can just hope that we get some OVA's.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
imLWRw.png

Theory 1: Maison Ikkoku exists in the same timeline as Urusei Yatsura. Lum and Ran here are on a field trip and they dressed in school girl clothes to fit in. However, why would they wear the outfits for high school when they're in elementary?

Theory 2: Maison Ikkoku exists in a parallel timeline as Urusei Yatsura. Due to the physics shattering hijinx of Lum and gang in UY-verse, their two timelines don't sync up perfectly, which is why you see Ataru, Shinobu and Megane as kids, but Lum and Ran in their UY incarnations.

Theory 3: Fanservice.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Dresden said:

It doesn't have the creepy pedo-lesbo vibes that Nanoha cultivated, so that's a plus. The hero himself is very likable--dashing! But otherwise I don't think I'll watch more of this, not in such a stacked season.

Told you. Generic all over it. I believe the deal was your first born.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
M_Night said:
Just finished Kimi ni Todoke S2.

A charming and satisfying conclusion. I doubt we'll get a season 3 =( so I can just hope that we get some OVA's.
From what I gather KnT does pretty well so a 3rd season is more likely than you think!

jman2050

Hey look, backstory, Not-Michel posing as her brother Michel yadda yadda. Was there a single surprising development in the entire ten minutes they took to explain everything?

What the hell do YOU think?

Geneijin

Tiger & Bunny - 1
I don't like how the setting was introduced. I get the program is a superheroes game show, but it doesn't feel plausible even if it is not-so-serious. If they established the existence of the program better, I would have like everything about this episode really.

Also, Sky High and Blue Rose.

jman2050 said:
Hey look, backstory, Not-Michel posing as her brother Michel yadda yadda. Was there a single surprising development in the entire ten minutes they took to explain everything?

What the hell do YOU think?
Oh jman, was I really suppose to know Racine thought of her brother more than a brother? Unless they removed that from the dub...

Dresden

Orin GA said:
Told you. Generic all over it. I believe the deal was your first born.
Sigh, my firstborn it is. I'll mail it to you when it's born.

e: it's not a bad show, though. Charming stuff, just unremarkable.

e2: bah, I'll probably watch the next episode.

e3: yeah, I'll watch the next episode.

jman2050

Geneijin said:
Oh jman, was I really suppose to know Racine thought of her brother more than a brother? Unless they removed that from the dub...

Nah they didn't change that. And like you seriously thought that was surprising in any way. Sure you did... :p

Go_Ly_Dow

InfiniteNine said:
From what I gather KnT does pretty well so a 3rd season is more likely than you think!

There was no 'fin' at the end of the credits. :p

How far ahead is the manga? Was there enough content to make this a 24 episode season?

jman2050

I'm convinced that Lord Mustache Harkonen has had rough sweaty intercourse with every one of his daughters multiple times.

You see what this show is doing to me?

flawfuls

Tiger and Bunny

That was pretty good, very charming. The product placement was ridiculous though. I don't think I've ever seen anything with as much product placement as this show. It's not just the logos on the heroes suits, they throw in product placement wherever humanly possible.

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
Nah they didn't change that. And like you seriously thought that was surprising in any way. Sure you did... :p
Yeah, you're right.

But I was surprised they thought inserting that type of a relationship was a great idea to make the audience sympathize even more with Michel's distress over her brother when there was no inclination of it nor any character development for it. There's a strange art to how offensively bad this is.

Slayven

flawfuls said:
Tiger and Bunny

That was pretty good, very charming. The product placement was ridiculous though. I don't think I've ever seen anything with as much product placement as this show. It's not just the logos on the heroes suits, they throw in product placement wherever humanly possible.
Thats the twist. Corporate sponsored heroes.

Instro

Yeah I enjoyed Tiger and Bunny as well, sponsored heroes is a pretty funny idea. Looking forward to the next episode.

flawfuls

Slayven said:
Thats the twist. Corporate sponsored heroes.

I know, but they go further than that. Even when they are off the air there is random product placement everywhere. If they limited the product placement to when they are on air it would make sense, but they don't. It doesn't really bother me though, I actually find it kind of funny.

JKTrix

T&B actually put me in the mood to watch X-men.

If nothing else, it looks great. Cyclops is the prettiest character. Beast looks weird.

Rektash

Since I was bored and had nothing better to do I followed some users recommendation in this thread to to watch Mai Hime which I strangely enough haven't watched yet. Just hit episode 10 and it is quite solid so far. A little bit too slice of life/filler heavy but I think the show will kick in, in a few eps. Another thing I don't like is the coupeling of the main char since the male dood is just too plain/generic/boring. I was hoping for some hot yuri action
since most of the cast is female but oh well, can't have everything. Overall the character cast is suprisingly well balanced with a lot of different personalitys assembled, very stereotypical characters at that, but no real complaints here. The action is okayish if a little bit scarce for such a show. Soundtrack is surprisingly weak for a Yuki OST, but still quite nice.

Solid 6-7 on my rating scale so far. I like it. Nicely animated hips and legs.

jman2050

Rektash said:
Since I was bored and had nothing better to do I followed some users recommendation in this thread to to watch Mai Hime which I strangely enough haven't watched yet. Just hit episode 10 and it is quite solid so far. A little bit too slice of life/filler heavy but I think the show will kick in, in a few eps. Another thing I don't like is the coupeling of the main char since the male dood is just too plain/generic/boring. I was hoping for some hot yuri action
since most of the cast is female but oh well, can't have everything
. Overall the character cast is suprisingly well balanced with a lot of different personalitys assembled, very stereotypical characters at that, but no real complaints here. The action is okayish if a little bit scarce for such a show. Soundtrack is surprisingly weak for a Yuki OST, but still quite nice.

hahahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Geneijin

Ohohohohoho, do I want to spoil it?

Instro said:
I thought it was 4/8, not really sure though.
It says 4/25 on the website, but I've also heard 4/8 was a possibility. Ah, I want to watch it already. It'll be the quickest Spring anime to finish too :lol

JKTrix

cutebabyelephant said:
How is Tiger & Bunny in terms of the CG? The preview was loaded with awful looking CG.
What you saw is what you get. It's worse than KARAS (which was actually quite good if I remember), but Karas was 6 episodes long and an expensive production.

I wouldn't let it put you off the show though.

tiff

Banned
Dresden said:

That's about what it looked like.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just finished Index 2

The fuck kind of ending was that? How did the school populace know that the city was at war? I thought no one in the academy except for a select few knew about the church's influence to begin with.

Also finished Kore wa Zombie... I lol'd when she told Mystletain to shutup.

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but it was announced today that Working is scheduled for a Second Season

Instro

Geneijin said:
Ohohohohoho, do I want to spoil it?

It says 4/25 on the website, but I've also heard 4/8 was a possibility. Ah, I want to watch it already. It'll be the quickest Spring anime to finish too :lol

Ah oh well then, 4/25 it is then.

Trojita said:
Just finished Index 2

The fuck kind of ending was that? How did the school populace know that the city was at war? I thought no one in the academy except for a select few knew about the church's influence to begin with.

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but it was announced today that Working is scheduled for a Second Season

It was mentioned already in the thread (to the point some thought it was an april fool's joke)

Paprikka

Infinite Justice said:
It was mentioned already in the thread (to the point some thought it was an april fool's joke)
It was at first, they had a mixed up cast and announced VHS tapes
lol
, then the next day had the real trailer and announcement for season two.

trejo

Infinite Justice said:
I still want my VHS tapes, dammit. I think there's still a player somewhere in my mom's house.

Dresden

I'd much rather get YAMAKING than WORKING!!, tbh.

icarus-daedalus said:
That Sunrise hasn't completely lost it seems to be the nicest surprise of the season after X-Men not sucking. It's good to hear really.
They have plenty of room to fail next season, I'm not too worried.

Trojita said:
Just finished Index 2

The area where Touma was in 22/beginning of 23 was rather apocalyptic looking with the giant hole and all of the smashed buildings. Accelerator also threw that building into another building. And a large amount of people fainted, or whatever that was.

The major problem with the end there was, that it was horrid in terms of the atmosphere. The people at Touma's school didn't seem all that freaked out, the scenes in the city didn't seem to invoke a very panicked public, and all of the Accelerator scenes were all angst focused.

I assume it was trying to elude to some sort of mass panic from the attacks on the city, but it really did an awful job of showing that.

Joule

Umasou was really good. I did get a bit misty at parts. The animation during those fights were great. It really felt nostalgic of when I and probably a lot of other people watched the Land before Time. Dinosaurs~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom