• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Dog Days 1

Well that was just silly. Don't think I'll be sticking around.

Next up: X-men!

So is Nichijou better than the pilot episode? Cause that one was kind of uneventful.

Ezalc

So I'm wondering something about the new x-men anime. Do we have a list of all the mutants that will show up. Or basically, do I get to see Gambit smack a bitch up in this motherfucker?

TWGOK - Final:

Oh, awesome. The last episode is a filler episode. I guess manglobe decided they couldn't fit another arc into just 1 episode, so what we got was...this. The only redeeming thing was experiencing the amazing power of Capturing God Mode which gives Keima the ability to play 24 games at the same time! He truly is the Capturing God!

Well, the after-credits sequence where they announce season 2 was kind of nice. My virtual body is ready for more of Prido 64, Cream Cast, Y-Box 360, PF3, and also PF2! The part where he busted out the NES, SNES, Genesis, Jaguar, PC-FX (never sold outside of Japan!), and even a PS1 was also funny. And then he destroyed them all by playing them too fast, except the old tape-loaded machine which was still loading. Awesome.

This show deserves to run until it exhausts all the manga material, but I guess there's no hope of that. So sad.

Dresden

Ezalc said:
So I'm wondering something about the new x-men anime. Do we have a list of all the mutants that will show up. Or basically, do I get to see Gambit smack a bitch up in this motherfucker?
Gambit blows, why would you want him to show up?

trejo said:
So is Nichijou better than the pilot episode? Cause that one was kind of uneventful.
From what I hear it's nothing like episode 0.

Ezalc said:

All I know is if Iceman shows up at all, he will instantly become my new avatar if there's a decent shot of him.

Unknown Soldier said:
TWGOK - Final:

Oh, awesome. The last episode is a filler episode.

Actually, it isn't.

Paprikka

Nana to Kaoru OVA - Oh damn, that was a pretty fair adaptation of the manga. Got to give Kaoru credit, dude goes for the goods when the opportunity presents itself. The award for most awkward show to watch still goes to the one about a high school girl becoming an eroge voice actress though.

iavi

Nichijou 01

This was a whole lot of fun. The over-dramatization, the incredibly awkward pauses, it's incredibly off-kilter, yeah, but so intentionally so, it's hilarious. And the production is as to be expected from KyoAni; slick and polished, with very little to harp on, though; as much as I mean that, it does look as if somebody got a little tipsy with the DOF. It's literally fucking everywhere.

It's good to see KyoAni on something I can tolerate again.

A solid "watch" for the season.

cosmicblizzard said:
Yep. I honestly thought the same thing as you, but was corrected by a few people. Happened the exact same way too.

Wow. Damn, that sucks. Let me guess, episodes 4 and 8 also were in the manga? manglobe should have cut the unnecessary stuff out from the anime, there wasn't any need for episodes 4, 8, or 12, they could have fit another arc in with 3 episodes!

jman2050

Nichijou 1

I see the potential for something awesome here but it's being buried beneath KyoAni's moe kawaii desu~ filter so the result is basically "trying to be like Azumanga Daioh except not funny" overall.

The hotdog and fire alarm gags were amazing though. More of that and less of everything else and I'm golden. I still see enough here to give it a chance.

Dresden

jman2050 said:
it's being buried beneath KyoAni's moe kawaii desu~ filter
u mad?

kMyW4.gif

X-Men was good. Onwards to Nichijou.

JKTrix

I'm honestly not really a fan of the frantic/random style of humour in stuff like Nichijou and Excel Saga and from what little I watched of Pani Poni Dash and SZS.

Things like Azumanga and Cromartie were the perfect pace for me.

Aigis said:
True monocle people enjoyed K-ON.

We know this, because Jex liked it. The fake monocle people are the really annoying ones though, the True Monocle is a rare trait in an age where it's just cool to hate things.

jman2050

JKTrix said:
Things like Azumanga and Cromartie were the perfect pace for me.

Azumanga really was the perfect mix. It was cute and moderately paced and all that but it managed to stay funny because the show actually strung together its humorous material without really stopping instead of relying on moe kawaii desu~ as filler.

It also helps that most of said humorous material were actual jokes.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Just finished watching the first episode of Nichijou, and didn't care for it. About the only interesting part of it was when what's her name almost dropped that sausage. Everything else was like it was trying too hard to be random, and forgot to pack the funny. I'm all for tangential humor, but this show hasn't impressed me so far. I'll give it another couple of weeks, but thus far it's done nothing to make a good first impression with me.

iavi

Aigis said:
Nope. It's KyoAni's best series, although I can see Nichijou changing that quite easily.

You must still be missing yours. It's alright. Nichijou could potentially replace Fumoffu as KyoAni's best work.

Rektash

bbal1.jpg

8vYJ7.jpg

I love it when ridicoulus statements suddenly have to be taken literal.
Laughed my ass off at this scene :D. Well, well, shit starts to happen now.

Jex

Dresden said:
Poor Jexhius, he's become a figurehead for K-ON gaf. All that's left is to crucify him.
I just liked this show, like once.

Oh god there's actual Spring anime out. What madness is this?

Branduil

Glass Fleet 7

Michel is a girl!!!!??? It's revealed in the most ridiculous way too. Of course Cleo knew. Because he's not a complete moron.

LOL at this backstory. Literally being a girly-girl wearing a dress and wanting to play house until the moment she picks up a sword and instantly transforms into a tomboy.

Her father does not approve of her fighting with her brother's sword.

burning%20swords.jpg

Trying to dispose of swords with a little pit fire? Seriously?

hairballs.jpg

Nice hairclips, dude. Hope you got an extra pair for your horse-drawn carriage.

Vetti's going to be so disappointed when he finds out Michel is now a girl. Or not, he doesn't seem too discriminate in that area.

LOL at Sylua catching naked Michel and Jean with a knife carving up her back. This anime is so ludicrous.

As usual Cleo cuts right to the chase. "You like, wanted to do your brother, didn't you?"

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
You only say this because you haven't been exposed to Storm yet. It's the only explanation for such an attitude.

Storm looks hot in this too, but I have a thing for blondes. Plus fuck that random Japanese chick I want Gambit damn it.

jman2050

Mr Nash said:
Just finished watching the first episode of Nichijou, and didn't care for it. About the only interesting part of it was when what's her name almost dropped that sausage. Everything else was like it was trying too hard to be random, and forgot to pack the funny. I'm all for tangential humor, but this show hasn't impressed me so far. I'll give it another couple of weeks, but thus far it's done nothing to make a good first impression with me.

Really, if a show needs to employ random style humor, they can NOT be restrained about it. This is the sole reason Excel Saga worked as well as it did, because it took its random gag nature and hit the ground running from the beginning all the way until the end without any letup. Trying to be all methodical about it just plain doesn't work.

Jex

duckroll said:
Either that, or they were working on Redline while Iron Man and Wolverine were in production. Wrapping Redline up probably freed a lot of studio resources.
I don't care what the reason is, as long as it leaves us with one good show!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nichijou 1 was so much better than the OVA episode it's not even funny; it was really energetic and fast-paced with some genuinely funny moments, plus the production values are great as expected from kyoani. Surprisingly also feels slightly different from azumanga with the surreal moments, thought this would be a complete azumanga rip-off in tone and humor.

Nu uh. They just happen to misplace their monocles while watching.
K-ON is probably objectively their best show to date (because of the direction / animation / production values blah blah), even if i enjoy fumoffu more.

jman2050

Rektash said:
I love it when ridicoulus statements suddenly have to be taken literal.
Laughed my ass off at this scene :D. Well, well, shit starts to happen now.

The show hasn't even gotten started yet. Be prepared. :p

Jex

Miri said:
The show actually looks like it has a bit more to it than that. It's the reason it's on my "watch" list atm, anyway. Will get dropped with a fierceness if that's all it turns out to be though.
Hey, there's apparently nothing wrong with cute girls being cute. In fact, I once defended it to on pain of death, or something!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mr Nash said:
So might this be a Marvel anime worth watching? I haven't heard anything good about the other efforts in that universe.
Yeah, duckroll should totally make a official thread of it, since it's actually good this time.:lol

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
jman2050 said:
Really, if a show needs to employ random style humor, they can NOT be restrained about it. This is the sole reason Excel Saga worked as well as it did, because it took its random gag nature and hit the ground running from the beginning all the way until the end without any letup. Trying to be all methodical about it just plain doesn't work.

All I know is that I barely cracked a smile watching it. I generally hold Monty Python as the high water mark of what random humor can be. I guess tangential, absurdist humor can go in a lot of directions, but thus far Nichijou just does nothing for me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
I just liked this show, like once.

Oh god there's actual Spring anime out. What madness is this?
And some of it is actually watchable! (also good)

Geneijin

Dresden said:
Poor Jexhius, he's become a figurehead for K-ON gaf. All that's left is to crucify him.
It's not even a sin to begin with. What's this nonsense you're suggesting?

Jexhius said:
I don't care what the reason is, as long as it leaves us with one good show!
Oh shit. You're so cynical Jex.

Jexhius said:
Hey, there's apparently nothing wrong with cute girls being cute. In fact, I once defended it to on pain of death, or something!

The real problem is some of the various monocle brigade members try so hard to shout down anybody who admits they like something the others don't. You're going to have to face reality: having admitted that you like K-ON, you will soon be betrayed and crucified by your followers. You don't get to be like Jesus though, nobody would start a religion centered around you. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom