• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So Freezing, Fractale, and Tales of Vesperia got picked up for BD releases by Funimation.

Bleh. Not a single good show.

iavi

Well, it's official; the best thing to come out of Madoka was this current Kalafina kick of mine. These girls are either catchy as hell, or zzzz as fck. I've been listening to them all day.

Dresden said:
They have plenty of room to fail next season, I'm not too worried.

Well they turned Code Geass into the most glorious failure success in the history of anime. I'm not concerned about Sunrise, they are the studio least likely to fail anytime soon.

TWGOK - Kanon's arc:

I'm the first to admit that I know just about nothing about Japan's idol culture. So I'm not sure what it must be like to BE one of these people, but I guess there has to be a lot of pressure. In Japan, you're supposed to be a good singer, and actor, and also look very beautiful kawaii all at the same time to qualify for idol status. The creepiness of your vaguely pedophilic older fans probably doesn't help much either. I guess it's easiest if you're a virtual idol like Hatsune Miku, if you're not real you don't have that kind of pressure.

In unrelated news, whoever the voice of Kanon was, she had a good singing voice. I've noticed the general trend the last few years of the various seiyuus in animes also starting to sing OPs and EDs, whether this is done purely to save on budget since they don't need to pay a singer or band or license a song is not a relevant point here. Some of my favorite OPs/EDs from the last few years were sung by the seiyuus themselves and not by a big-name band.

Oh, right, Kanon's arc was actually kinda sweet. I think what makes TWGOK work as a show is that while the situations are all intentionally fake, there is a strong effort to make the emotions feel genuine. In that sense the show is entirely successful in whatever it is setting out to do and it makes watching an enjoyable experience. There is a palpable sense of irony which is presumably intentional where Keima here has the job of 'capturing' girls and naturally it's kind of hard not to feel emotionally invested in (read: fall in love with) these people he is seducing and then the capture occurs and they all lose their memories but he keeps his. I guess when you're only interest is in 2D girls it can't be all bad. Normal real people would probably just let the collar behead them rather than do that shit over and over again. Because, you know, James Bond isn't a normal real person.

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
Anyway. The product placement is somewhere between sad and hilarious, you can almost hear them begging for money in the background, but they did at least come up with an explanation for it. A ridiculous one, but I can see the charm in it.

I can't help but picture them sitting around a table wracking there brains for methods to maximize income, and eventually coming to the idea to write a whole fucking show around product placement.

It reeks, and I can't bring myself to watch the show because of it.

Kaiji 18

I wasn't expecting this to be so bloodthirsty.
Seriously, how many times do we have to see that eardrum being punctured? The stakes have been made clear enough!

Dresden

Miri said:
I can't help but picture them sitting around a table wracking there brains for methods to maximize income, and eventually coming to the idea to write a whole fucking show around product placement.

It reeks, and I can't bring myself to watch the show because of it.
It's more humorous than annoying.

Anyways, where the fuck is Nichijou?

iavi

Dresden said:
It's more humorous than annoying.

Anyways, where the fuck is Nichijou?

Even still, it's the idea that bothers. I know that anime is a business a much as it's an art, but to blatantly throw it in your face...

Anyway, Nichijou airs in about an hour according to the Crunchyroll countdown.

trejo

Fractale

What a waste of what could've been a good show. Thoroughly mediocre from start to finish.

Just further proves that an interesting premise is worthless if the people behind it can't be bothered to do a competent job.

7Th

+Main character is a motherfucking married man with a cute daughter
+Fun setting
+The character designs are great
-OH GOD, THE CG, I AM DROWNING IN IT

trejo

Aigis said:
So Freezing, Fractale, and Tales of Vesperia got picked up for BD releases by Funimation.

Bleh. Not a single good show.
Is that First Strike? I might get that since I'm a big fan of the game.

jman2050

45 minutes until I see whether Nichijou is worth the trouble or not.

May or may not check out Tiger and Bunny afterwards.

I will watch more Glass Fleet either way

iavi

Dresden said:
Did you play Vesperia for the plot?

....I did. It's the only Tales game that I've ever played, and I only played it because Yuri came off as a badass in the demo. Luckily, he was as likable throughout the whole game.

trejo said:
Is that First Strike? I might get that since I'm a big fan of the game.
First Strike pretty much has nothing to do with the plot of the game. It's supposed to be a prequel, but it really doesn't explain much and it doesn't really fit in with the story.

And no, it doesn't have Judith in it.

iavi

Articalys said:
Hey, out of curiosity, how many people here have one of the Crunchyroll memberships?

Do now.

I might actually keep this one too. They've actually acquired a catalog that warrants it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tiger and bunny - Not bad, it kind of reminds me of a saturday morning cartoon albeit fairly entertaining and decent for one. I also really like the setting, and it's pretty refreshing to see a adult main character in a anime show, the product placement also kind of fits in the context of the setting lulz.

I say my only concern at this point is despite the setting I'm not so sure if it can sustain itself for 25-episodes and remain interesting (if that is the length?) and sunrise shows have had a habit of starting off entertaining then going no-where after the first few episodes.

Instro

Huh didnt know the director for Tiger and Bunny also worked on Big O. I'll definitely keep watching this then, although it would be even better without the CGI.

JKTrix

Just when I thought 'This sounds like Hyadain...' I see... Hyadain!!
or more accurately ヒヤダイン

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TheVampire said:
Can anyone recomend some good anime blogs about reviewing new episodes?
Depends on what kind of stuff you watch.

JKTrix

Miri said:
*Pause* Nichijou wins the award for best explosion ever. *resume*
There is far too much stuff going on to pause and post for everything. This show is frantic.

Ed: Suddenly the ending.
I guess my two second review of Nichijou 1 would be:
Azumanga meets Excel Saga

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TheVampire said:
Can anyone recomend some good anime blogs about reviewing new episodes?
anime news network is doing it's spring preview. They have a few different reviewers who will wade through episodes 1 (and sometimes 2) of stuff.

TWGOK - Shiori's arc:

Now the question here is, was Keima really able to hear Shiori's internal monologue? Or was he just extrapolating from the internal monologues of the sum total of hundreds of librarian-type girls he's captured in the dating sims? More importantly, is this question fundamentally too meta to be possible even in a fictional world?

mAcOdIn

Didn't someone from ANN give a decent "rating" or closing statement to Glass Fleet? Find out who that person was and disregard their opinion if you read them for reviews.

Dresden

mAcOdIn said:
Didn't someone from ANN give a decent "rating" or closing statement to Glass Fleet? Find out who that person was and disregard their opinion if you read them for reviews.
I wouldn't trust anime reviews in general.

mAcOdIn

Dresden said:
I wouldn't trust anime reviews in general.
Well I don't, I was just saying that that person's opinion is even less trustworthy.

But honestly you can tell pretty easy from the pictures released and the little snippet of story, but not the OP or else you'd think Kurenai would suck.
icarus-daedelus said:
So my computer died about 14 minutes into Nichijou. Time to get a new laptop. If I had any money that is.
What'd it do?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Unknown Soldier said:
TWGOK - Shiori's arc:

Now the question here is, was Keima really able to hear Shiori's internal monologue? Or was he just extrapolating from the internal monologues of the sum total of hundreds of librarian-type girls he's captured in the dating sims? More importantly, is this question fundamentally too meta to be possible even in a fictional world?
Considering that the show is basically about a guy using stuff he learns from a dating sim to get girls to like him and it actually is successful, no.

iavi

JKTrix said:
There is far too much stuff going on to pause and post for everything. This show is frantic.

Yeah, I'm kind of forced to pause though. Crunchyroll's servers must be getting slammed or some shit, cause I can't watch for more than 3mins at a time. Is this going on for anybody else?

Edit: Dude with the goat is killing me.

Kaiji 22

When Kaiji's up against the wall, does he ever deliver. This E-Card arc was amazing.

I have to wonder, what is Nobuyuki Fukumoto's obsession with crazed old men?

JKTrix

Miri said:
Yeah, I'm kind of forced to pause though. Crunchyroll's servers must be getting slammed or some shit, cause I can't watch for more than 3mins at a time. Is this going on for anybody else?

Edit: Dude with the goat is killing me.
I finished watching it when I gave my little review there, and watching it in 720p I did have to pause once or twice to let the buffer do its thing.

If you guys don't know about Hyadain (singer of the opening song--all of the opening song), here's his youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hyadain2525

He's an 'internet guy', like Supercell was before Bakemonogatari. His style does seem to fit the tone of the show.

JKTrix said:

Sold x1000. Ack, am I really going to have to pay for a Crunchyroll membership? I guess.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
icarus-daedelus said:
A guy named Theron Martin, one of their chief reviewers. All of their reviewers are overly generous, though, he's not really an exception. Dresden's right on this one; it's hard to find a source for anime reviews that isn't too nice on the on hand and is actually able to recognize real quality on the other hand.
It's funny because most people who have the critical skills to do so won't have anything to do with reviewing anime.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
It...just kind of died. As in, the screen went black and it was instantly off.
Ouch that sucks, if it were just windows being stupid I might've been able to fix it but if the screen or some other piece of hardware died in it yeah, it'd probably be better to just get a new one unless it's warrantied.
icarus-daedelus said:
A guy named Theron Martin, one of their chief reviewers. All of their reviewers are overly generous, though, he's not really an exception. Dresden's right on this one; it's hard to find a source for anime reviews that isn't too nice on the on hand and is actually able to recognize real quality on the other hand.
Bah, you don't even know generous until you've tried to use Crunchyroll's star ratings as a guide to what to watch, so long as it's from Japan and animated it's all but guaranteed to get 4 out of 5 stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom