• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Halycon said:
Oh great, Kentaro is a Ten clone.
Hey, one can't be come up with that many characters without such a thing occurring.
Halycon said:
I love Kozue already.

Bitch moves faaaaaaaaaaaaast.
Kozue is the best character, as you will see.

iavi

Unknown Soldier said:
The real problem is some of the various monocle brigade members try so hard to shout down anybody who admits they like something the others don't. You're going to have to face reality: having admitted that you like K-ON, you will soon be betrayed and crucified by your followers. You don't get to be like Jesus though, nobody would start a religion centered around you. :3

Ah, is anybody even really trying that hard?

Jex

Dresden said:
If you didn't know what they meant, turn away now before it's too late! You can still be saved.
That's right, it's best not to poison a virgin mind with such filth. If you automatically no what a term, such a NTR is you probably know too much.
octopusman said:
Watched the first couple episodes of Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still, and was pretty blown away by the animation and imagination of the design and the world, old-school in a good way

ONLY NUCLEAR POWER CAN SAVE US NOW.
Ah, another member joining the fight against BIG FIRE!
Lafiel said:
I haft to admit in certain romantic anime it seems wrong that they'd have sex of any kind, considering the innocent nature of the romance and all lulz. Plus the characters are drawn so innocently and pure.:p
Are they moe pure?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kozue is the best character, as you will see.
Yagami is the best character! (although halycon won't see her for a while).

Hey buddy, fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuu.

The only good in this show now is Emma Frost and PUROFESA EKSU.
Emma frost is going appear in the x-men anime?

I was wrong about X-men, there's also Mr. Devilfish. So that makes three good things and Storm. I just hope that at least other well known mutants have like cameos or maybe a one episode role or something.
I haft to say one disappointment about the x-men anime is it's only 12-episodes long, 26-episodes could cover a lot of ground, especially if it retained the level of the quality of the first episode.

Swag

JKTrix said:
Spent the last several minutes going through Hyadain's (Nichijou OP) videos again
Wow I didn't know Hyadain did anything other then odd parody youtube vids, World Warrior was the last thing I heard from him.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Yagami is the best character! (although halycon won't see her for a while).
Oh, wait, you're completely correct. What was I thinking.
Halycon said:
Maison Ikkoku is now the greatest love story ever told.
That's what everyone's said!
InfiniteNine said:
I hate you guys.
Sawako can't say innocent forever. You have to let her go.

jman2050

Branduil said:
Vetti's going to be so disappointed when he finds out Michel is now a girl. Or not, he doesn't seem too discriminate in that area.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this part. Vetti has a Golgo-like sex drive and every piece of dialogue he says is hilarious because it sounds like he wants everyone's dick/female netherregions.

He's the second best character behind Ralph.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jexhius said:
Ah, another member joining the fight against BIG FIRE!

How can you not like a show with anime's manliest man.

gr_02.jpg

No wusses cockpit for this guy. He hangs off the side of his robot with one hand.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
That Sunrise hasn't completely lost it seems to be the nicest surprise of the season after X-Men not sucking. It's good to hear really.
Well, maybe it's just wild death throes, like Gundam Unicorn.

Dresden

Nichijou:

Nano is so goddamn adorable. Loved the first episode.

Will keep watching:

Nichijou
X-Men
Tiger & Bunny

Will probably not watch but will probably will (or not) in all probable likelihood:

Furry Days

JKTrix

trejo said:
Get outta here. For real?
I picked that particular video mostly because it says it right at the beginning :lol

"Caution, this song is sung by MAN"

Unless you're talking about him performing the Nichijou song, which is, yes, awesome.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:
Nano is so goddamn adorable.

Will keep watching:

Nichijou
X-Men
Tiger & Bunny

Will probably not watch but will probably will (or not) in all probable likelihood:

Furry Days

I have reservations about tiger and bunny, not so sure if I'll watch the second episode or not.

With x-men and nichijou i see myself staying till the end though.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I can't look at that title anymore without thinking '200% more cum in the air'

So were the, uh, action scenes good/better?
As someone who's looked on youtube, I can attest that they are fan-tastique!
Aigis said:
So Freezing, Fractale, and Tales of Vesperia got picked up for BD releases by Funimation.

Bleh. Not a single good show.
They sure are wasting their time.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Kaiji 18

I wasn't expecting this to be so bloodthirsty.
Seriously, how many times do we have to see that eardrum being punctured? The stakes have been made clear enough!
It's called having no animation budget.
Dresden said:

Furry Days
You don't have to hide your love for dog days from us, Dresden.
trejo said:
Fractale

What a waste of what could've been a good show. Thoroughly mediocre from start to finish.

Just further proves that an interesting premise is worthless if the people behind it can't be bothered to do a competent job.
A classic waste of time.
mAcOdIn said:
Didn't someone from ANN give a decent "rating" or closing statement to Glass Fleet? Find out who that person was and disregard their opinion if you read them for reviews.
Probably.

Dresden

Infinite Justice said:
if it has a Nice Boat then i'm in.
Well, it does have the Ginga Bishonen.
Lafiel said:
I have reservations about tiger and bunny, not so sure if I'll watch the second episode or not.

With x-men and nichijou i see myself staying till the end though.
T&B: I knew about the awful CG going in thanks to the trailer, so it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed all three--a good start to a new season.

jman2050

Okay okay so listen up.

Vetti goes into the garden where the pope's daughter is and starts reciting bad nightclub poetry. She isn't having his bullshit, seeing as he wants to marry her for power, so jeers at him, with the little brat acting like a total bitch the entire time. Vetti starts blabbing again and then suddenly grabs the girl and kisses her without warning, and then the girl bites his tongue and walks away in disgust, and then afterwards Vetti grabs his head in agony, collapses onto the flower bed for no explained reason as his little whore brat grabs him and screams into the camera pulling away from above.

See, I tried to explain this scene and I absolutely could not do it. This really must be seen to be believed.

Paprikka said:
24 episodes. Still waiting for that dang ED to be released, I think it was going to be out in mid-April so not too much more of a wait.
Oh, that's good news. I was kind of worried it was almost over, it's nice to know it's not even halfway yet. :)

mAcOdIn said:
Well that's my true form, mAcOdIn's "second stage" if you will, it robs me of the desire to talk about stuff I don't think is worth talking about unless asked about or it being the topic of discussion.

But now that you ask: I just want to say I fucking told you so, it was never worth bothering with any rankings because the author's less worried about internal consistency across the characters and more about following some failed-from-the-start generic outline and will decide on a whim when and where any characters show any attraction towards each other.
True. But, it didn't end with a complete "no winner", Houki was suggested to maybe have an edge, but that relationship, as I said, came out of absolutely nowhere. Apparently nothing that happened in the first ten episodes mattered at all, as far as that goes. I wouldn't agree that that's normal for the genre, though. Sometimes, but not always. IS is worse than average, I wouldn't quite use it as a typical example...

And you know, their efforts weren't in vain. Finally one of them managed to actually get him to react. It just would have made so much more sense if there'd been anything from episodes... oh, like three or four to 10... suggesting anything significant between those two characters... but this is IS, logic, sense, and competent writing (even for its genre) do not apply.

And I did make one small comment about having my suspicion voiced by Ichika's sister regarding Houki's sister being the one who launched all the missiles towards Japan and set the drone on it's way.
Oh right, that part... yeah, the idea that she'd been the one who got that robot to go rogue was something you'd guessed at wasn't it, and it turned out to be true.

On that note though, a couple of things I believe I forgot to mention in my IS ep. 12 review.

-So in mid-episode the girls are just Ichika's nakama (he says so to the spirit person in his unconcious dreamworld), but in the end he admits that he likes Houki? I guess her straight question finally broke down his denial...
-On that note, are the two girls in the unconscious dreamworld both his sister, or not? The one in the IS looks like her, but what about the younger one with white-ish hair?

As for the part where his sister and the inventor woman talk, part of that was kind of confusing...
So, his IS healed him somehow, from the brink of death. Okay. Apparently the one she used to save Japan with in the past had a similar function. And yeah, she set off the robot because in addition to being a mechanical genius she's also a super-hacker, and wanted to show off the powers of the new IS. Um, alright, though it's Ichika who stopped it, not Houki...

What I don't quite get is his sister's not-so-"hypothetical" about how apparently she rigged the scenario where Ichika controlled that IS, so that he'd get sent to the academy even though he actually couldn't control the IS. Ah, but he has an IS and can control it, I don't get it... unless Byakushiki is a special IS just for him or for men or something that she designed? I mean, that she's actually doing everything he seems to be when controlling his IS through the entire series seems unlikely. And yeah, she then responds by saying 'but then it'd only work that one time only' and that she doesn't understand how that IS works. The latter part is obviously false, she designed and built it after all. But what is true? They don't say, the topic is dropped there.

And on that note, the second "scenario", "set off the robot IS to show off Houki's new IS", is as I said also a little odd because well it's Ichika who stops it, all Houki does is fight it and then recharge his power so he could deal the final blow... I guess that sort of works, she did fight it. The first one above's the one that's harder to understand.

Also, to reiterate a comment from like episode two that I made, for a platform that's supposedly banned from military use there's little reason to believe that they're used for anything but, I mean, when they all come equipped with swords, lasers, swords that shoot lasers, missiles, cloaking devices, and have some backup fail-safe kill, kill and destroy mode surely there some practical civilian use for these things. Right?
Fighting tournaments. I think that's the supposed use. Obviously there are military uses, they just aren't publicly admitted or something. Either that, or that "no military uses" is one of the many aspects of IS that changed from episode to episode...

The show was a piece of garbage and I'm glad it's over with. Still not watching Samurai Girls 12.
It's better than anything in IS, I can tell you that much at least. Of course, considering how bad IS is, it's also not saying much. :)

Look at you! Working all hard to separate yourself from the rest of us guys, aren't you special. You're usually the one accusing me of wanting them to have sex. Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten.

"They don't have sex in Shoujo, mAcOdIn."

"I never said I wanted them to have sex but there are Shoujo where they do.

"........"

"God this is still so slow, can't these fucks do anything?"

"Why you always wanting them to have sex Mac, can't you just enjoy the relationship? Besides, they don't have sex in Shoujo."

Yes they do, there's Itazura na Kiss for one oh and His and Hers Circumstances, but stop that, I don't want them to have sex, there's lots of room between fucking like rabbits and not being able to speak to each other, they can cover some of that middle ground."

"Oh you."

Argh! See what you do to me firehawk12?
You're right, those shows sometimes do have sex. "They never do" isn't true.

JKTrix

That scene in the show was discolored/distorted. Jean's outfit looks similar enough to Emma's in that situation. Is Emma psychic though?

Edit: Answered.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
It...just kind of died. As in, the screen went black and it was instantly off.
Poor Laptop, probably overheated. Perhaps too much strain on the bumps located on the substrate.
doomed1 said:
It's funny because most people who have the critical skills to do so won't have anything to do with reviewing anime.
Well, it's not like it will get you money, respect or any kind of job prospects.

Jex

Aigis said:
True monocle people enjoyed K-ON.
It truly is a complex monocle that one must watch through to ascertain such a feeling.
Miri said:
You must still be missing yours. It's alright. Nichijou could potentially replace Fumoffu as KyoAni's best work.
I do like me some Fumoffu, but K-On!! is a better work.

Dog Days 1

Dog people need to act more dog like. Tails need to wag more, ears need to move more, girls need to be more genki, etc. As far as animal people are concerned, this is just a lighter Utawarerumono.

That being said, I'm interested to see where this goes. It does seem awfully generic, but it seems like it could be amusing enough. Main dude didn't even put up a fight when told he was transported to another world. Seems like he's totally fine being there just to goof off and make it so dog people don't get depressed anymore. Sounds stupid, but I was entertained.

Also, chocobos.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the summer thread should have "200% more cum in the air" in the title.

::back to MI::

Jexhius said:
It truly is a complex monocle that one must watch through to ascertain such a feeling.

I do like me some Fumoffu, but K-On!! is a better work.

The True Monocle is a truly frightening trait. It's like having a superpower, only you got a crappy one while everybody else is flying around and shooting lasers from their eyes.

icarus-daedelus said:
Muahahahahaha! You can't erase your shame, Dresden!

No, really. No one will judge you if you don't* watch more Dog Days. You can be our guinea pig for the season.

Nah, I can do it. I'm obligated to watch it and I'm almost guaranteed to enjoy it more than Dresden.

Jex

trejo said:
If I had a monocle I would so throw it at you right now.
I have Bush-level dodging skills.
Halycon said:
I think the summer thread should have "200% more cum in the air" in the title.

::back to MI::
Well, it wouldn't surprise me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
cosmicblizzard said:
Nah, I can do it. I'm obligated to watch it and I'm almost guaranteed to enjoy it more than Dresden.
It's really not that fun if the person in question is actually enjoying the show.

We want to see their PAIN.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sebulon3k said:
Too many positive responses to that comment, I won't be baited like that School Days fiasco
To your K-ON question? It's really good, no troll. Although Jex is right, it's not for everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
You can have them get together in Shoujo's and not have it be the end game or shag each others brains out, you can focus on how they interact with each other and the highs and lows of their relationship (getting jealous, people trying to break them up etc), Lovely Complex did this well.

Hell Kare Kano basically retconned them shagging each other because the guy regressed back to being embarrased holding hands after the fact.
Yeah, but this isn't an angst romance shoujo, it's a character building shoujo that simply takes out the super hot amazing lead dreamy fuckable male and places all the emphasis on the girl.

I've said it before, but the whole point is that Sawako is meant to act on her own, to have her own agency. I mean, that's why the author presumably shoves it down your throat by having Yano and Pin interfere via non-interference. The drama is in how they work out their own character flaws (both are essentially neurotic and have low self-esteem, which is why they can't imagine the other would be attracted to them), not in who is sleeping with who and love triangles and whatnot.

It's why at the end you finally have Ryu confessing to Chizuru, even though they both kind of know how they each feel. He's hung up on the fact that she crushed on his brother, but after seeing Kazehaya go through his bullshit because he didn't have the balls to get over his own neurotic self-esteem issues, he decided to just put it out there as well.

And somehow I've ended up going down this road again. :lol

(Also, fast thread moves fast. Go out for dinner and it's 6 pages later...)

jman2050 said:
You're not going to get trolled by K-On.

It's just a bad show period.
K-On! is moe moe kyun. K-On!! is mono no aware.

Jex

Sebulon3k said:
Too many positive responses to that comment, I won't be baited like that School Days fiasco
Hmm? A minute with wikipedia or google would tell you that School Days is considered, by many, awful, while many others consider K-On! good. Of course, listening to what other anime fans on the internet have to say about their favourite shows, you'd probably be right not to trust them.
icarus-daedelus said:
Exactly. It's - what's the word - schadenfreude.

You can kinda tell that Dresden hates himself for not-so-secretly wanting to watch more Dog Days.
It's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom