• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKTrix

firehawk12 said:
(Also, fast thread moves fast. Go out for dinner and it's 6 pages later...)
I'm afraid to go to sleep now!
JzQGG.jpg

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Exactly. It's - what's the word - schadenfreude.

You can kinda tell that Dresden hates himself for not-so-secretly wanting to watch more Dog Days.
Hey, Dog Days isn't an awful show, like, say, Infinite Stratos. It's just average stuff, very bland.

I probably will watch a few more to see if it goes anywhere, but i-i-t's not like I'm doing it for animu-gaf or anything. Hmph!

Articalys

I just think it's an impressive achievement of the medium that there is now serious X-Men mythology discussion going on in an anime thread.

Jex

Articalys said:
I just think it's an impressive achievement of the medium that there is now serious X-Men mythology discussion going on in an anime thread.
Well, all fields of nerd-ery are only divided by very thin walls.

Rektash

firehawk12 said:
ttracted to them), not in who is sleeping with who and love triangles and whatnot.

It's why at the end you finally have Ryu confessing to Chizuru, even though they both kind of know how they each feel. He's hung up on the fact that she crushed on his brother, but after seeing Kazehaya go through his bullshit because he didn't have the balls to get over his own neurotic self-esteem issues, he decided to just put it out there as well.

Wwwwwait what? I shouldn't have skipped through the last 5 episodes so fast. This was the one thing I was waiting for in this show and I missed it because I couldn't stand Sawako and Kazehaya in Season 2. Which episode do I have to rewatch?

JKTrix

Rektash said:
Wwwwwait what? I shouldn't have skipped through the last 5 episodes so fast. This was the one thing I was waiting for in this show and I missed it because I couldn't stand Sawako and Kazehaya in Season 2. Which episode do I have to rewatch?
The last one. It's like the last line of dialogue of those two characters.

Defuser

Dog Days ep1 :
First thing I hear is Norio Wakamoto voice....nooooooooo......

So basically it's ZnT but with animal ears right?

Dresden

So... tomorrow we have the new Beyblade, the new harem show#2, BAKUGAN BATTLE BRAWLERS, showa monogatari, and Hanasaku Iroha. Only one thing looks good out of that lot.
icarus-daedelus said:
Uh huh, sure. You could've just left that work up to cosmicblizzard, who generously offered his services, but instead you volunteer yourself. :3
I can't let him suffer alone. It's my furry cross to bear.

Jex

Nichijou 1: I thought I'd watch this first, considering that it appears to be the most discussed show of the hour.

As one would expect, it's very well produced, at least. However, I don't really like it.

Outside of one particular food scene, I found this episode to be boring and not funny.

As a few members have already mentioned, random stuff does not always equal funny. Things explode, there's a robot on a roof and a dude riding a goat. I'm not really amused by this style of humour, and as the whole show is composed of it, I probably won't be enjoying it.

I'll give the next episode a look, but I don't have high hopes. If a comedy show isn't funny, there's not much point watching it.

Nichijou 1

Meh, kind of okay. Not really crazy enough and pretty boring. I like the dude that has sex with goats and I'm mildly amused by the robot girl, but that's about it. Don't think I'm gonna stick around for more.

Rektash

JKTrix said:
The last one. It's like the last line of dialogue of those two characters.

Ok, rewatching was totally not worth it. This show could have totally been better if it just had more focus on Yano and Chizuru. Sadako was great until the point where all she did was cry and the drawn out drama began. SD and akward Sadako was the shit and I would have loved to see a good Yano arc. The conclusion to Chizuru x Ryu was more than disspointing as well. Certainly a decent romance anime but I absolutly didn't like the direction season two took.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Looking at the crunchyroll lineup; Chi's Sweet Home looks adorable. I think I'll watch it. As with their real-life counterparts, I find animated cats completely irresistible.
Each episode is really short but still, be ready to waste at least a couple of hours. So adorable.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Looking at the crunchyroll lineup; Chi's Sweet Home looks adorable. I think I'll watch it. As with their real-life counterparts, I find animated cats completely irresistible.
It's like 3 minutes of kitten goodness. But there are hundreds of three minute episodes!

Dresden said:
Not at all. She became just another haremblob after that. Before, she was goddess. It's amazing how a pair of pants can affect a relationship.
Indeed true, absolutely. Charles is the show's only good character. (Except for maybe also his sister, if it doesn't go incest-ish later in the story)

She was cool when she was trolling everyone while stomping Britain... then she entered dere-mode.

I sense a pattern here.
Cool? I don't know if I'd go that far, but she certainly did completely fall apart as a character as soon as she entered dere mode, yeah...

Mr Nash said:
German has pants, though, or are you not much into eye patches? :p
The pants are good, the eyepatch bad, overall it's kind of a wash... pre-haremized Charles is better.

mAcOdIn said:
I read them ABF!! For the rest of you, I guess this means some people read my long posts? Yay!
I'd be more annoyed about people reading our long posts about shows that are actually decent, but IS talk... yeah, that I can completely understand skipping. :)

Nah, I'd be talking about how lame the panty shot is and ABF will be trying to explain how integral panty shots are to the fan service and how it excites the fanbase because they didn't have underwear in the Edo period or some shit.
That's not true, Edo Japan had underwear... it's just that only men wore them and not women. Of course though the women did all have ankle-length kimonos.

Lol, El Cazador called good, lol. Bus Gamer was better because at least it was only 3 episodes.
I called it good because it is good. :) As for the latter show, haven't seen it.

That's why I belong on the Monocle Brigade, because I can separate my feelings from reality.
Is being in this Monocle Brigade a good thing? I don't quite get what qualities get people ranked higher in that list.

Only somewhat. See, all of our subconsciouses are at work right now yet we're not all batshit crazy like Haruhi, if they'd had a more normal character instead of Haruhi they could have still pulled off the show and I wouldn't have hated Haruhi.
But it wouldn't have been the same show, it wouldn't have been a similar character, and one of the main reasons why the whole thing exists wouldn't be there... and anyway, the other members of the club are not better characters than Haruhi.

It's just so uninspired and, well, loveless. I know I've bashed Last Exile and on the technical front Last Exile is every bit as bad as Glass Fleet but with Last Exile you can tell they have this story they want to tell, someone, somewhere in Gonzo came up with a world and a story and wanted to tell it he just unfortunately lacked the ability to write it and flesh out the characters and Gonzo didn't really have the ability to animate it, or good sound design, or good direction. Any other studio besides Bee Train and Gainax could have probably made it a masterpiece but alas all we can do is think of the possibilities.
As far as Last Exile goes, almost nothing you say about the show in this paragraph is true. (I can't say anything about Glass Fleet, haven't seen it and I'm not planning to watch it at the moment) I know we argued about this before, but Last Exile has good characters, a good story, good music, good world and art design, and good visuals and CG. It has some flaws, sure, but the strengths are so much greater... as for how another animation studio would have done with it though, I have no idea. Considering how good it was I certainly wouldn't think that "almost anyone else" would do a better job.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rektash said:
Well, it's a build up throughout season 2. You can debate the pacing and whatever and I'd almost be inclined to agree that it has the subtlety of an Aesop's Fable, but I just appreciated it for the non-shittiness of the heroine. If anything and since it's on my mind, she's almost as strong as the two The Girl Who Leapt Through Time heroines that I'm familiar with (without the tragedy, of course).

It essentially takes the smaller relationship thread built in S1 and blows it up and makes it the main focus since Sawako "graduated" into become an affable, somewhat sociable member of the class.

Unknown Soldier said:
Both seasons of K-ON are really fantastic, though surprisingly different.
I dunno, in hindsight, K-On! was just an average moe 4koma adaptation with catchy songs. It's a straight translation of the jokes, which is why you have things like Mugi's "yuri goggles" and Mio being tsundere/timid all the freaking time before Asuza comes along and takes that role. At the very least I can see why someone would hate K-On! based on that... but then again, you could also argue that the first two years (or three for Americans) of high school are typically fluff and bullshit anyway, so maybe that's what they were trying to say. :p

Jexhius said:
It's like 3 minutes of kitten goodness. But there are hundreds of three minute episodes!
There's cat moe now? What happens if you put cat ears on a cat?

JKTrix said:
I'm afraid to go to sleep now!
This thread is what iPhones were made for, I suppose. :lol

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
-On that note, are the two girls in the unconscious dreamworld both his sister, or not? The one in the IS looks like her, but what about the younger one with white-ish hair?
Probably Season 2 related.

What I don't quite get is his sister's not-so-"hypothetical" about how apparently she rigged the scenario where Ichika controlled that IS, so that he'd get sent to the academy even though he actually couldn't control the IS. Ah, but he has an IS and can control it, I don't get it... unless Byakushiki is a special IS just for him or for men or something that she designed? I mean, that she's actually doing everything he seems to be when controlling his IS through the entire series seems unlikely. And yeah, she then responds by saying 'but then it'd only work that one time only' and that she doesn't understand how that IS works. The latter part is obviously false, she designed and built it after all. But what is true? They don't say, the topic is dropped there.
Let's entertain the possibility IS is a sensible one. I think IS was trying to suggest Byakushiki is an autonomous IS and has its own intelligence/will.

Solune

Geneijin said:
He should have made the OT by now then. =P
duckroll is probably too hyped and can't control it.

On another note, just watched Omae Umasou da na
All I can say is What a great movie. Seriously anybody who hasn't seen it yet should stop what they are doing and watch it nowwwwwww.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Solune said:
All I can say is What a great movie. Seriously anybody who hasn't seen it yet should stop what they are doing and watch it nowwwwwww.

Solune said:

Solune said:

Solune said:

Motherfucking this if we had a rep system I would rep the shit outta you.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, in hindsight, K-On! was just an average moe 4koma adaptation with catchy songs.
Er no. Even those who don't enjoy season one can't possibly argue that it was average in it's production or direction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Er no. Even those who don't enjoy season one can't possibly argue that it was average in it's production or direction.
Ah, I guess it was implied that I was talking about theme and story content. :lol

Jex

Jerk said:
Also known as the only things that matter.

imo.
Also no. If all we needed was theme and all that nonsense you wouldn't need direction or production or writing. But obviously you do.
Jerk said:
Nichijou 1

I failed to crack a smile even once.
Join the club.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Also no. If all we needed was theme and all that nonsense you wouldn't need direction or production or writing. But obviously you do.
I feel like we've entered another chapter of the Endless Eight anime thread loop. :lol

Geneijin said:
Of course not. Not so soon I would think.

But if there was one, the girl in the dream would be material for Season 2 most likely.
Yeah, that's true and it's bound to do well.

But then again, there was Nyan Koi which outright announced a second season before that bomba'ed.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, that's true and it's bound to do well.

But then again, there was Nyan Koi which outright announced a second season before that bomba'ed.
They'll probably announce it after Hidan no Aria finishes if there is a Season 2.

Nyan Koi was going to get a Season 2? I don't remember at all :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
There is no important element to a show, for any show to be quality it needs to have quality writing, characterization, plot, direction, animation etc. Or at least qualify for at least two or three of those elements.

I'm still the kind of guy that prefers quality characterization over everything else though!

iavi

Lafiel said:
There is no important element to a show, for any show to be quality it needs to have quality writing, characterization, plot, direction, animation etc. Or at least qualify for at least two or three of these.

I'm still the kind of guy that prefers quality characterization over everything else though!

We can be characterization-preferring buddies!

trejo

Tiger & Bunny 1

Yep, that's some bland CG alright. At least it was interesting and I didn't mind the ads too much. Will give it a few more eps.

Next up: Sleep. But tomorrow, Nichijou!

G'night, folks.

Jerk

Banned
Lafiel said:
There is no important element to a show, for any show to be quality it needs to have quality writing, characterization, plot, direction, animation etc. Or at least qualify for at least two or three of those elements.

Well yeah.

Despite the actual language being used, I am assuming that we are all talking about personal preferences. Right?

Unknown Soldier said:
Well, it seems this EKKSU-MEN series occurs a year after the events of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Or some variation thereof, I think I've seen several retellings of the Jean Grey/Phoenix story. I don't even remember if Mastermind was behind the original Dark Phoenix sequence of events, it was so long ago.

he was instrumental iirc

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
They'll probably announce it after Hidan no Aria finishes if there is a Season 2.

Nyan Koi was going to get a Season 2? I don't remember at all :lol
Yeah, at the end the characters broke the fourth wall and started talking about how they were excited about a second season. Whoops. :p

---

Also, theme/plot vs animation debate emerges. Endless Eight continues!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jerk said:
Well yeah.

Despite the actual language being used, I am assuming that we are all talking about personal preferences. Right?

Sure, but I'm not completely sure if firehawk12 has that mindset!

Branduil

grapes.jpg

Lovely.

Need a gif of Baron Harkon-Count John Fall's stomach bouncing as he laughs. It's as crappily animated as it is gross.

Jerk

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
PLOT > all that

'Story content' is a tricky set of words meant to include all the non-direction/production stuff (like art and animation).

So characterisation, plot, setting, etc. would all be included.

Dresden

Jerk said:
'Story content' is a tricky set of words meant to include all the non-direction/production stuff.

So characterisation, plot, setting, etc. would all be included.
He's talking about boobs, I think.

Branduil

This is so ludicrously hilarious. After a pompous religious ceremony, two priests walk in with GIGANTIC WRENCHES and unscrew the pope's daughter's mask. You couldn't write comedy this funny if you tried.

So need a gif of this.

Jerk

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Put it this way - how many people actually liked Sucker Punch?

You mean the movie with attractive young women trapezing about in fantasy landscapes kicking ass whilst wearing wildly inappropriate and revealing outfits?

Geneijin

Branduil said:
This is so ludicrously hilarious. After a pompous religious ceremony, two priests walk in with GIGANTIC WRENCHES and unscrew the pope's daughter's mask. You couldn't write comedy this funny if you tried.

So need a gif of this.
uP41a.gif

The woman in the iron mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom