• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Branduil said:
Ahaha, Isaac pressing buttons is gif-worthy too.
Oh, you're currently on 8? Then don't click my post yet until you're done I guess. It has a few more .gifs more than usual just because of the episode :lol

Edit: Isaac is usually gif worty.

Rektash

Oh well, I didn't expect they would turn this anime into a
battle royale
. I expect a lot of incoming drama and I kinda like the idea.

Swag

Rektash said:
Oh well, I didn't expect they would turn this anime into a
battle royale
. I expect a lot of incoming drama and I kinda like the idea.
Episode 20 / 21 Prepare yourself.

Jex

Lafiel said:
There is no important element to a show, for any show to be quality it needs to have quality writing, characterization, plot, direction, animation etc. Or at least qualify for at least two or three of those elements.

I'm still the kind of guy that prefers quality characterization over everything else though!
Every component is important, you can't take them in isolation.

firehawk12 said:
Put it this way - how many people actually liked Sucker Punch?

It was the best music video compilation I ever saw.

Mai Hime 4

Yep, that was a panty thief episode <_<. Kind of getting impatient here. Hope it's worth it when shit hits the fan.

Rektash

cosmicblizzard said:
It was the best music video compilation I ever saw.

Mai Hime 4

Yep, that was a panty thief episode <_<. Kind of getting impatient here. Hope it's worth it when shit hits the fan.

Well you have quit a bit of waiting ahead then. Things start to get interesting halfway through the series.

Jexhius said:
Every component is important, you can't take them in isolation.

Yup, and despite what the haters claim, K-ON has them all in high quality!

Dammit, I hate watching shows as they air, now I have to wait every week for a new episode of EKKSU-MEN now. 3:

Jerk

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Yup, and despite what the haters claim, K-ON has them all in high quality!

Dammit, I hate watching shows as they air, now I have to wait every week for a new episode of EKKSU-MEN now. 3:

Sure.

*Adds Unknown Soldier to list*

Branduil

His "imperial guard"? That's what Vetti calls Ralph? And what's with the creepy pedo laugh from the pope?

How did she see through the ruse? I mean it was a completely random group of ninjas, but that's not out place in this show at all.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 8

If you're one of those people who complain about Madoka being predictable, you should really watch Glass Fleet. Every episode has something you will never expect!

Instro

Nichijou seems fun, I like the music a lot. Jumped around a bit too much, but overall I enjoyed the first episode. Very random and cute.

Jex

Jerk said:
'Story content' is a tricky set of words meant to include all the non-direction/production stuff (like art and animation).

So characterisation, plot, setting, etc. would all be included.
None of those things matters if the production is awful. It doesn't matter how good your story is.

Although it's pretty rare to find an anime with great plot, setting characters and so forth that also has abysmal direction and production.
Branduil said:
Yeah, I mean, the thing that makes Glass Fleet so amazing is it's unusual skill in every component.
Stop making it so tempting!
Sebulon3k said:
Nichijou: This show is awfully boring.
Man the "this show is awesome" vs "this show is boring" split is pretty pronounced.

Such is the nature of comedy.

Tiger and Bunny

I'm finding the concept very interesting and LOL @ using actual companies for sponsors.

Funny that while the guy is a superhero he almost "normal" in how his life is going (has a family, job issues, being a veteran, etc)

Looking forward to the next ep.

Steroyd

Not only do I wake up to spring anime getting into gear but the Gintama movie has been subbed.

The anime gods are kind this day.
bow.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't really care what "actual" ages of the K-On girls are. They'll have the appearances and personalities of jailbait forever.

Swag

Jexhius said:
Man the "this show is awesome" vs "this show is boring" split is pretty pronounced.
Such is the nature of comedy.
I could only make it halfway through the episode before I reached my limit, the sausage bit was hilarious though, if only they had more of the over the top comedy.
pieatorium said:
X Men 1
So this is actually pretty decent, the setup is a little sketchy with just beung a missing persons but no doubt it will lead to bigger things.
I thought they foreshadowed what exactly was going to happen pretty clearly.

Amagami SS Nanasaki Ai Arc
Happy to see that Yukana isn't bringing out the annoying Yukana voice.

Sebulon3k said:
I could only make it halfway through the episode before I reached my limit, the sausage bit was hilarious though, if only they had more of the over the top comedy.

I thought they foreshadowed what exactly was going to happen pretty clearly.
I meant as far as calling back the 'elite' X Men and busting Cyclops out of emo just for 1 random girl

Jex

Tiger&Bunny 1: With so much corporate sponsorship, you'd think they'd be able to afford better mechanical animation!

Leaving that minor issue aside, this was a surprisingly good first episode. It flowed surprisingly well and had surprisingly good (albeit deliberately over the top) action sequences.

The 'super heroes as normal people' concept has been explored quite thoroughly in western media but it's still nice to see an anime show tackle the concept, especially if the production team continue to make such entertaining episodes.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but this isn't an angst romance shoujo, it's a character building shoujo that simply takes out the super hot amazing lead dreamy fuckable male and places all the emphasis on the girl.

Then what the hell did I go through Season 1 for? They spent 24 episodes building her character to a point where she can now clear any misunderstandings headed in her direction, that gets thrown in the crapper for so much of season 2.

I've said it before, but the whole point is that Sawako is meant to act on her own, to have her own agency. I mean, that's why the author presumably shoves it down your throat by having Yano and Pin interfere via non-interference. The drama is in how they work out their own character flaws (both are essentially neurotic and have low self-esteem, which is why they can't imagine the other would be attracted to them), not in who is sleeping with who and love triangles and whatnot.

The misunderstandings were rediculous though, how much more blunt can you be with Kazehaya telling Sawako that he likes her and then mystically proceed to spend 5 episodes going round in a circle?

It doesn't have to be love triangles and stuff that was an example of what they could do, they could center the show around the interaction between the two of them after they start going out, Nodame Cantabile worked because there was great interaction between Chiaki and Nodame and how they were working hard to make themselves the golden couple, you can have them dating AND have them work out their character flaws *gasp*.

It's why at the end you finally have Ryu confessing to Chizuru, even though they both kind of know how they each feel. He's hung up on the fact that she crushed on his brother, but after seeing Kazehaya go through his bullshit because he didn't have the balls to get over his own neurotic self-esteem issues, he decided to just put it out there as well.

Or Ryu waited till she got over his brother.

And somehow I've ended up going down this road again. :lol

Maybe I should have watched KnT earlier lol.

Nichijou 01 - That was great, so much funny and weird stuff... I like this kind of show. Plus, it's actually got male characters, even if they're second tier so far? And one of the girls actually has a crush on one of the guys? That's different... and I mean that in a good way, it's interesting to see one of these shows not follow the usual "girls only" policy. And the guy she likes is a guy who's a farmer's son, but acts like an aristocrat, and rides a goat to school? Yes, this show is amusing. :lol

But yeah, very funny episode all around. Almost all of the segments were funny and made me laugh. Not all were equally good -- the fire alarm one wasn't that great (but at least it was short) -- but many were quite good, so that's alright.

So, now we learn that the girl with the key in her back is a robot. Alright, makes sense. I didn't guess that the little girl was actually the professor, though, that's an amusing twist... :)

Also, the part with the piece of food going flying around was maybe the funniest part of the episode. All of those serious, action-anime-esque scenes, for that... good stuff. :lol And then after all that she ate it... ick. :)

Oh, and that the craziness isn't some separate thing from the world of the show is something I like about it. I mean, the robot sort of explodes when she runs into that guy, sending them both flying far into the air, and it's not just completely written off, but actually factors into the plot. That guy rides his goat to school, and at the school announcements the teachers try to tell him not to do so, but he refuses. Etc. I know that one of the points of the show is the contrast between the name ("normal life" or something like that) and the weirdness of the stuff that goes on, and the fact that the show takes the weird events somewhat seriously helps that contrast work.

So yeah, good stuff. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this series. :)

Geneijin said:
Probably Season 2 related.
Hmm, yeah, perhaps. It didn't look like a familiar character, but it also seemed like he was supposed to know who she was. Of course it wasn't explained, but maybe it's something it'll get to later.

Let's entertain the possibility IS is a sensible one. I think IS was trying to suggest Byakushiki is an autonomous IS and has its own intelligence/will.
Oh, that's what you think it is? No, I didn't think of that.
That Byakushiki only works because it's decided to let him use it or something, he is sort of "controlling it" but only because it's letting him? Huh, if true that'd be kind of funny... :lol

firehawk12 said:
Wait, is there a season 2 of IS confirmed?
I don't believe so, we're just thinking that it's probable there eventually will be one.

Geneijin

Branduil said:
Lovely.

Need a gif of Baron Harkon-Count John Fall's stomach bouncing as he laughs. It's as crappily animated as it is gross.
GsxfA.gif

This is so ludicrously hilarious. After a pompous religious ceremony, two priests walk in with GIGANTIC WRENCHES and unscrew the pope's daughter's mask. You couldn't write comedy this funny if you tried.

So need a gif of this.
89Dxx.gif

Edit:

A Black Falcon said:
Hmm, yeah, perhaps. It didn't look like a familiar character, but it also seemed like he was supposed to know who she was. Of course it wasn't explained, but maybe it's something it'll get to later.
I'm guessing the chances of her being a childhood friend are high. Ichika already has a kouhai who'll be entering IS academy next year anyway. Why not more? :lol

Oh, that's what you think it is? No, I didn't think of that.
That Byakushiki only works because it's decided to let him use it or something, he is sort of "controlling it" but only because it's letting him? Huh, if true that'd be kind of funny... :lol
Something like that. It's the only explanation that comes to mind
because of how Tabane speaks of Byakushiki. That it wasn't the first time it moved by itself and how even she doesn't comprehend how it moves autonomously either.
As to what it foreshadows, I don't care enough to speculate unless there's going to be a Season 2. And even then, I still won't bother.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I lost it at the end of Kore wa Zombie after the big bad asked to come back as a penguin "I like Penguins".

duckroll said:
Wow, after a long afternoon nap, I awake to see that I have been VINDICATED. See? I AM NOT CRAZY! :p
Until I watched it I was figuring there was some kind of elabourate group trolling mission underway but I am glad that wasn't the case.

And I just did a search and Nana to Karou is indeed an adaptation of the manga I was thinking of. Dresden will love it because
both leads are very Tsundereish, at least publicly to eachother

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Miri said:
He did some drinking while the moe girls were dancing!
I believe it's: "I'm okay, I just had some drinks. I wish moe girls were dancing'.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jerk said:
'Story content' is a tricky set of words meant to include all the non-direction/production stuff (like art and animation).

So characterisation, plot, setting, etc. would all be included.

I'm talking about boobs dude.

PLOT makes watching X-Men not entirely pointless.

Go_Ly_Dow

I only ever watched the first episode of Star Driver but it still feels like a massive weight has been lifted of my shoulders knowing thats it's finally over.

I'll check out Tiger & Bunny and Nichijou in a bit. Sounds like both shows have some potential.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I hope that this is not too much offtopic but could you guys please recommend me some good stuff I missed? This is what I already have:
Berserk
Blade of the Immortal
Chaos Head
Claymore
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Crystal Blaze
Darker Than Black
Death Note
Eden Of The East
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Eureka 7
FLCL
Freedom
Gankutsuou
Gantz
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
Gundam Wing
GunGrave
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Hellsing Ultimate
Highschool of the Dead
Kaiji
Macross Frontier
Mushi-shi
Paranoia Agent
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Saikano)
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Trigun

Right now I'm watching Death Note for the first time which I really like. I also love science-fiction stuff like GitS.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Then what the hell did I go through Season 1 for? They spent 24 episodes building her character to a point where she can now clear any misunderstandings headed in her direction, that gets thrown in the crapper for so much of season 2.
The first season was "social" Sawako with touches of romance, the second season is "romance" Sawako with touches of sociability. But yeah, the difference is pretty fine. And of course, if you were reading it as a single text as a manga, that shift would be much more subtle without having the artificiality of a season break to make that delineation (instead, you'd get manga arcs I suppose).

The misunderstandings were rediculous though, how much more blunt can you be with Kazehaya telling Sawako that he likes her and then mystically proceed to spend 5 episodes going round in a circle?
That's the characters still being obtuse to each other though, which they over explain in a scene with Yano after the fact. I'll agree that at that point, it feels like the author wanted to wring another volume of the romance before putting them together. :lol

It doesn't have to be love triangles and stuff that was an example of what they could do, they could center the show around the interaction between the two of them after they start going out, Nodame Cantabile worked because there was great interaction between Chiaki and Nodame and how they were working hard to make themselves the golden couple, you can have them dating AND have them work out their character flaws *gasp*.
That's, well, all the post anime stuff. At it's heart though, it's a wallflower tale and not a romance. The wishfulfillment isn't "I wish there was a guy I could fall in love with" but "If people could look past some flaw I think I have, then they'd get to know me for who I really am and we could be friends". And really, considering how many stories we get about girls who hurt themselves/commit suicide based on Facebook bullying? I can see why this type of story is at least popular. I imagine the social pressures for a teen girl in Japan are very much the same.

Or Ryu waited till she got over his brother.
This is when I throw the "author intentionality" flag. It's too conveniently timed and I believe it's another awkward way to reinforce the theme of the second season/later volumes. I mean, essentially the Ryu/Chizuru relationship is exactly the same as the Kazehaya/Sawako relationship. Chizuru isn't sure of herself at points in the first season and Ryu's the one that has to support her.

Maybe I should have watched KnT earlier lol.
I'll be the eternal Sawako defense force, it seems. :lol
Certainly after watching the movie, I feel like I've got a handle on the text now. Three versions of the same story should be enough to hammer the themes home (the anime is the best version, at the very least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom