• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Miri said:
Seeing the Warner Brothers intro at the beginning of the Gintama movie weirded me out. First time for everything, haha.

Are War-san and Ner-san trying to break into the foreign market?

They were trying to, but they were deceived by those wrenched people at sunrise!

The fourth wall breaking parts at the beginning and end are the most interesting parts of that movie.

"Gintama the movie! An art statement! Background only!"

iavi

duckroll said:
It almost sounds like she's complaining about the pain and difficulty she has walking, the day after she does a hardcore double penetration threesome with Sugata and Takuto.

I was having such a hard time resisting a play on that, I'm glad somebody besides me carried the torch.

flawfuls said:
The fourth wall breaking parts at the beginning and end are the most interesting parts of that movie.

"Gintama the movie! An art statement! Background only!"

Aha, I had a feeling that was going to be the case... I'm seeing that this is a remake of that sword arc, so I can't exactly say that I'm hyped for it, but am interested in seeing how the budget increase makes a difference.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
'Everything' except for the writing and the amount of money thrown at it (production values) is as nebulous as you can get. :p
Deliberately so. No-one wants to read me break down shot composition and editing effects and mise-en-scene and lighting and animation every time I post about some random episode of a show!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
but it also does more ‘natural’ humour, like when the girls are all lying in one room and trying to get to sleep. One person says something, and then another replies, and someone else finds it funny while trying to shut the first girl up because everyone’s really trying to get to sleep. There’s no one ‘punchline’ to that scene, it’s amusing because I’ve had that exact same situation when sleeping in a room with my friends.
So you relate to moeblobs like you do with real people? :)

duckroll said:
It almost sounds like she's complaining about the pain and difficulty she has walking, the day after she does a hardcore double penetration threesome with Sugata and Takuto.

hmmmm

sucks for Keito though and it makes that Wako quote seem like shes kinda bragging lol.

duckroll

B.K. said:
Well, at least Wako doesn't have to worry about which one to choose now.

You do realize that even with Tauburn all wrecked up, Takuto can STILL basically use Ginga Tau Missile to shoot both himself and Sugata back onto Earth right? Star Driver has one very consistent and basic moral throughout the entire series: What Takuto wants, Takuto gets. It's also what makes the overall show a bore to watch.

B.K.

duckroll said:
You do realize that even with Tauburn all wrecked up, Takuto can STILL basically use Ginga Tau Missile to shoot both himself and Sugata back onto Earth right? Star Driver has one very consistent and basic moral throughout the entire series: What Takuto wants, Takuto gets. It's also what makes the overall show a bore to watch.

Nope.
They're both going to die a slow death in space as they run out of air!

Dresden

duckroll said:
So much for my 'burning to death as they plummet towards Earth' scenario.

Swag

duckroll said:
The power of his first phase.

Hanasaku Iroha 01
Perfection, FLAWLESS VICTORY, 10/10.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So I am rewatching Mai-Otome after Mai-Hime, thanks to whoever start watching Mai-Hime.

Anyone have some recommendation for this season... beside X-men?

Dresden

kiunchbb said:
So I am rewatching Mai-Otome after Mai-Hime, thanks to whoever start watching Mai-Hime.

Hanasaku Iroha, Tiger and Bunny, and Nichijou are all good.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
K-On!! 12: Festival edition - so where's all the drugs?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes, I never talked in any depth about Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 1. In essence, it was very confusing. Shinbo's cutting to unrelated or disjointed images was perhaps harsher in this episode than in any other show I've seen him direct.

What I mean is - there weren't any establishing shots. Or even shots that link scenes to other scenes. Or even shots that linked two parts of the same scene. At least, I think it was the same scene. As I mentioned above, it was extremely aggressive.
I don't remember it being overly confusing, but perhaps that is in retrospect after watching the whole thing and reading the wikipedia article about it.

flawfuls

kiunchbb said:

Hanasaku Iroha is great. Tiger and Bunny, and Nichijou are also pretty good. Now that I think about it the only weak show that has aired so far is Dog Days.

kiunchbb said:

Tiger and Bunny seems interesting with the concept

Hanasaku Iroha: people are liking it so far (haven't checked it out yet)

Nichijou: seems like a split so far (haven't checked it out yet)

Dog Days: not so great so far (haven't checked it out yet)

Geneijin

Maybe I should have had an expectations list before the season started. I'm sure Hanasaku Iroha was one of them. Glad to hear it's giving good vibes.

Jexhius said:
Deliberately so. No-one wants to read me break down shot composition and editing effects and mise-en-scene and lighting and animation every time I post about some random episode of a show!
I was completely lost the first time you did! It's not that I don't want to. It's just lost on a peasant-minded person like me.

Geneijin

kamorra said:
I hope that this is not too much offtopic but could you guys please recommend me some good stuff I missed? This is what I already have:
Berserk
Blade of the Immortal
Chaos Head
Claymore
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Crystal Blaze
Darker Than Black
Death Note
Eden Of The East
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Eureka 7
FLCL
Freedom
Gankutsuou
Gantz
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG
Gundam Wing
GunGrave
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Hellsing Ultimate
Highschool of the Dead
Kaiji
Macross Frontier
Mushi-shi
Paranoia Agent
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (Saikano)
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Trigun

Right now I'm watching Death Note for the first time which I really like. I also love science-fiction stuff like GitS.
And you've liked all of them or is this all you have watched so far?

I'll say Mononoke for now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hanasaku Iroha 1 - Wow, this is easily my favorite show of the season. The characters were charming, the little bits of humor were well-done, it was well-directed, the down-to-earth slice of life setting was neat, and the production values were pretty damn impressive in addition, ultimately it feels like the first anime show I've seen in a while that really resonates with all my personal tastes, can't wait to see more.:)

Edit - I'd say my only concern right now at this point, is it could turn into a another Canaan (which had a great opening) however since this show didn't have the stupid humor and dumb anime hi-jinks of the former, there's a lot of potential here.:eek:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hanasaku Iroha is Ristorante Paradiso meets Aria. And let's just throw in some Antique Bakery in there just for shiggles. So far, so good. It almost makes me wonder what the noitanimA slice of life show is like, since this seems to have set the bar fairly high.

duckroll

icarus-daedelus said:
But if Star Driver 25 is really as good as they are saying, at least relative to the rest of the show, it would be the first time bones has made a decent ending in a while. A long while. That's something, at least!

Damn bones, you make it so hard to love you. :(

I don't think many people are saying the ending was any good. Lol.

Swag

Lafiel said:
Edit - I'd say my only concern right now at this point, is it could turn into a another Canaan (which had a great opening) however since this show didn't have the stupid humor and dumb anime hi-jinks of the former, there's a lot of potential here.:eek:
Canaan as in the action synesthesia Canaan?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
"Do you know how much it hurts to be deeply in love with two guys at once?"

Oh, Wako.

Shut the fuck up.
My god does she suck.

Bitch? Your saying that you wish you didn't meet Takato because it hurts to love two guys so much? The mother fucker who saved you, your boyfriend, and the fucking world? And you know what... He still isn't going be getting any of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I don't think many people are saying the ending was any good. Lol.
Since Star Driver was supposed to be Utena 2010, did (spoilers for Utena movie)
the dude turn into a car and drive the girl away
?

jman2050

Jexhius said:
How else is one supposed to rate vapid moe shows but by the quality of the direction and productions, as we all know they won't have any character or story? Or, unless you're saying how it compares to works in other genres, but then I feel that such a comparison isn't necessary. It's unlikely someone's going to come out and say K-On is infinitely superior to Mushi-Shi.

If you handed the 4-koma for K-On to BeeTrain you'd have something unwatchable. This seems to be a fact. So, if we assume the 'substance' (ha) for the first season is the events in the manga, then the direction is the other, and very important part, of that equation.

For example, Azumanga Daioh is another 4-koma adaptation but with fairly sketchy production values. I found parts of that show actually funny, which wasn't really the same as my experience with K-On! (1). At the same time, they really went on to stretch the material for scenes that went on far too long in many cases, making them a little dull. At which point, better direction would help.

Slice-of-life shows, at least the ones we tend to refer to under that moniker, are all considered comedies. If the end result is funny than all other ills can be forgiven. The direction in Azumanga worked because it directly served the jokes they were trying to tell. That wasn't the case for K-On (or Lucky Star for that matter, but at least that show actually tried to tell actual jokes, however terrible they were.)

I guess the simplest way to put it is that a show's production/direction is only as good as the purpose it serves. The events/material of a show and its direction go hand-in-hand, and you cannot have one without the other. Just as good material will suffer without poor direction, the greatest and most fantastic direction in the world won't save bad material.

Geneijin said:
I'm guessing the chances of her being a childhood friend are high. Ichika already has a kouhai who'll be entering IS academy next year anyway. Why not more? :lol
Perhaps, or it could be a younger sister he didn't know about or something. I mean, if the other one is his older sister...

Something like that. It's the only explanation that comes to mind
because of how Tabane speaks of Byakushiki. That it wasn't the first time it moved by itself and how even she doesn't comprehend how it moves autonomously either.
As to what it foreshadows, I don't care enough to speculate unless there's going to be a Season 2. And even then, I still won't bother.
:lol Oh wow, the possibilities this plot element suggests... it's so absurd that they'd pull something that crazy right at the end, with almost no explanation! IS show of the (winter) season confirmed, your list early in this thread is accurate. :)

(Rio Rainbow Gate is also terrible, and Freezing too from what I heard (didn't watch it), but for Rio, at least it pretty much accomplishes what it set out to do. Of course all it set out to do is set up fanservicey fanservice and fanservice action scenes, with occasional slight drama to set up the next fanservice bit, but it doesn't actually fail at what it was trying to do. IS, though... not so much. :))

I agree about speculation being chancey. It's hard to not want to, but given the nature of IS, it'll just change it entirely with maybe a two line "explanation" if we're lucky anyway, a few episodes down the road... every episode or two the show changed so much it almost felt like a new continuity.

I do have a question and maybe some comments, though.
Byakushiki moved by itself in ep. 12? When?

... Hmm... on that note, I just thought of something. "Do you want to be strong", the girl in the dream asked, if I remember right... maybe that girl is the spirit of Byakushiki or something like that? I don't know, it could be. Perhaps not, but maybe it's another possibility.

It would serve to explain why he can control it and no one else can, though. I'm not sure if it'd mean that he's even more super-amazing, though, like you said in the previous post... I mean, if he's the only guy just because she picked him, doesn't that mean that maybe he's less special, not more? "You aren't actually special, we just picked you because you're lucky and because of who your sister is!"

Of course, given this genre, no matter what he;s special because he's the main character and because of how caring beecause he's determined to protect people, etc, so it wouldn't present it quite like how I say in the above paragraph. It'd be something about how thanks to Byakushiki he can accomplish what he's always wanted, like being able to protect people, etc, perhaps (it kind of does that in ep. 12, of course).

Or maybe they'd just forget about it and change topics. IS did that a lot. The constant, ridiculous inconsistencies are part of what made IS such a humorously terrible show... :)

jman2050 said:
Slice-of-life shows, at least the ones we tend to refer to under that moniker, are all considered comedies. If the end result is funny than all other ills can be forgiven. The direction in Azumanga worked because it directly served the jokes they were trying to tell. That wasn't the case for K-On (or Lucky Star for that matter, but at least that show actually tried to tell actual jokes, however terrible they were.)

I guess the simplest way to put it is that a show's production/direction is only as good as the purpose it serves. The events/material of a show and its direction go hand-in-hand, and you cannot have one without the other. Just as good material will suffer without poor direction, the greatest and most fantastic direction in the world won't save bad material.
K-On's not much of a comedy though, it's not very funny, and isn't trying to be... and because of htat I'd call it something somewhat different from Azumanga Daioh, or PaniPoni Dash, or Lucky Star, or Minami-ke, or the other such shows. It's not about comedy mostly, just moeblob to attract the fans who like that kind of thing (which there are obviously many of). So no, I wouldn't put it in quite the same category. I also don't like it as much as any of those shows, of course.

... Oh, and I should also mention that I don't like rock music, so that aspect of the show didn't interest me at all either.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
Since Star Driver was supposed to be Utena 2010, did (spoilers for Utena movie)
the dude turn into a car and drive the girl away
?

No, no. You got it all wrong. Star Driver is about Takuto x Sugata. Nothing else!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:

I disagree. There are comedies that are slice of life, but not all slice of life shows are comedies. Case in point, Hanasaku Iroha.

duckroll said:
No, no. You got it all wrong. Star Driver is about Takuto x Sugata. Nothing else!
So does dude go off into the sunset with other dude in pursuit of hot sexy bromance time?

duckroll

I think he might be confusing "4koma" with "slice of life". Almost all 4koma manga and their subsequent anime adaptations are comedies. These are the Japanese equivalent of newspaper strip comics. Slice of life shows are actually very rarely classified as "comedy" since most of them fall under drama.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
I disagree. There are comedies that are slice of life, but not all slice of life shows are comedies. Case in point, Hanasaku Iroha.

I haven't see Iroha so I don't know what genre it'd fall into, but if the shows being discussed aren't comedies, what are they really? They certainly aren't dramatic, to start.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
Hanasaku Iroha is Ristorante Paradiso meets Aria. And let's just throw in some Antique Bakery in there just for shiggles. So far, so good. It almost makes me wonder what the noitanimA slice of life show is like, since this seems to have set the bar fairly high.

I've been thinking about it, and the new noitanimA slice-of-life show ano hata sounds like wasted potential based on the premise, it should have revolved around adults instead of teens plus A-1 pictures track record recently is not good lolz.

Canaan as in the action synesthesia Canaan?
Yep, it has the same exact director / writer combo to! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_(anime) now I'm getting scared.:( please don't fall apart this is the first show i actually see myself recommending to people months after it's ended.:(

I do wonder about the genre classification of slice-of-life does anything with a realistic down-to-earth setting get classified as slice-of-life because I'm kinda confused as between the two big romantic comedies in the 80s - touch and maison ikkoku only the former is tagged as slice-of-life across anime websites, despite the latter having a down-to-earth and realistic setting.

Bebpo

Banned
The animation in the finale for SRW OG2 was just as bad as every other ep. Pretty much all stills with panning and random CG action at times...lol

The show was a faithful adaptation of the game. Good enough for fans of the series, but as an actual standalone anime? Eek; the super low budget killed any chance of that.

Best part was the music; hearing the game bgms kick in all the time was good stuff. SRW OG music is pretty rad in that Guilty Gear/Blazblu kind of way.

jman2050

duckroll said:
I think he might be confusing "4koma" with "slice of life". Almost all 4koma manga and their subsequent anime adaptations are comedies. These are the Japanese equivalent of newspaper strip comics. Slice of life shows are actually very rarely classified as "comedy" since most of them fall under drama.

I think this post pretty much begs the more obvious question that I've always sort of wondered about.

What the hell actually is slice-of-life really? Couldn't the moniker cover just about damn near everything?

duckroll

jman2050 said:
I think this post pretty much begs the more obvious question that I've always sort of wondered about.

What the hell actually is slice-of-life really? Couldn't the moniker cover just about damn near everything?

Not really. If you take the literal meaning, sure, but that's like saying every single game is a RPG because you are generally playing a role in the game. The slice of life genre is a lot more specific in that such a story is generally a more detached character study driven narrative which aims to follow a specific type of lifestyle defined by whatever the setting is, and is generally leisurely and character-driven with no larger dramatic storyline, no specific end goals, and no real plot twists.

Geneijin

Hanasaku Iroha - 1
Oh, is this how they say they'll incorporate the fanservice? It's perfectly fine and works wonderfully. It doesn't protrude on the atmosphere at all. Favorite show of the season so far.

jman2050

duckroll said:
Not really. If you take the literal meaning, sure, but that's like saying every single game is a RPG because you are generally playing a role in the game. The slice of life genre is a lot more specific in that such a story is generally a more detached character study driven narrative which aims to follow a specific type of lifestyle defined by whatever the setting is, and is generally leisurely and character-driven with no larger dramatic storyline, no specific end goals, and no real plot twists.

I guess that makes sense. Still, what you described is a setting, not a genre, though I guess the distinction is meaningless for the purposes of this discussion.

Lain

Lafiel said:
Yep, it has the same exact director / writer combo to! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_(anime) now I'm getting scared.:( please don't fall apart this is the first show i actually see myself recommending to people months after it's ended.:(
Being one of the few on here that actually quite liked Canaan from start to end, I wouldn't be unhappy if the show turned into another Canaan.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On what shows i would personally classify as slice-of-life - i don't think azumanga or nichijou would fit anywhere near that moniker, when i think slice-of-life i generally think shows like mitsuru adachi (cross game, touch), aria the natural, kure-nai (at least aspects of it) and more recently shows like Hanasaku Iroha!

All these shows are generally driven by the characters and most of all revolve around their personal up-and-downs in everyday life.

Hanasaku Iroha - 1
Oh, is this how they say they'll incorporate the fanservice? It's perfectly fine and works wonderfully. It doesn't protrude on the atmosphere at all. Favorite show of the season so far.
Yep, this is exactly what i was thinking to, so classy.

duckroll

jman2050 said:
I guess that makes sense. Still, what you described is a setting, not a genre, though I guess the distinction is meaningless for the purposes of this discussion.

It's not really a setting. It's definitely a narrative subgenre, although it also falls under drama as a main genre.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Anime X is about a Student A trying to pass the entrance exam to Tokyo University. He needs to get into the University because he wants to be closer to his childhood sweetheart, to make sure that no one else is hitting on her. He has a group of friends trying to help him, but he's sort of hopeless, and the narrative hook is the audience following him in his trials and tribulations to see if he succeeds in his mission, while laughing at his repeated failures.

Anime Y is about Student B who works part-time in a ramen restaurant while studying to pass the entrance exam to Tokyo University. He doesn't really know what he wants to do in the future, but he is being pressured by his parents to further his education to get a better paying job to help support the family. He has a group of friends who are doing various different things with their lives, and he meets up with them from time to time. The narrative hook is the audience soaking in the personalities of the various characters in the show, and developing a sense of attachment to a set of people living their normal everyday lives without excessive dramatization.

Anime X is not a slice of life drama. Anime Y is definitely a slice of life drama.

JKTrix

Bebpo said:
Best part was the music; hearing the game bgms kick in all the time was good stuff. SRW OG music is pretty rad in that Guilty Gear/Blazblu kind of way.
I was pretty hyped to hear ROCKS play a little, even if it wasn't the voiced version. That song was better than either of the songs JAM Project did for this show.

I always thought Slice of Life was slapped on to anything that didn't have an overarching story, just people being themselves. Hanasaku Iroha seems like it would actually have a story, so I'm not sure I'd categorize it as that. 'Drama' works just fine.

jman2050

duckroll said:
It's not really a setting. It's definitely a narrative subgenre, although it also falls under drama as a main genre.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Anime X is not a slice of life drama. Anime Y is definitely a slice of life drama.

That makes sense.

Incidentally Anime Y seems to fit the type of show that I vehemently dislike to a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom