• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

BluWacky said:
(whatever happened to NOISE, incidentally? Did they just decide they couldn't support another slightly-off-centre anime broadcast slot? We only got Michiko e Hatchin and Aoi Hana out of that, didn't we?)

Super duper mega bomba happened. The ratings and DVD/BD sales were literally so low that they decided to expand the noitaminA slot instead of supporting another slot which was kinda/sorta the same thing except doing much much worse.

Ironically, the decision to expand the noitaminA slot resulted in the slot doing significantly worse. Lulz.

iavi

Gintama Super Sword shit: The Movie

Wow, that was the laziest shit that I've seen in a long time. No--my eyes must have deceived me. They didn't just repackage scenes from the already long long long ago broadcasted anime into a nice little box and call it a feature film........ did they?

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
Oh my god this show gets more amazing by the episode.

Vetti's backstory is magnificent in so many different ways I don't even know where to start.
I think I know who's my most favorite character now.

flawfuls

Miri said:

Wow, that was the laziest shit that I've seen in a long time. No--my eyes must have deceived me. They didn't just repackage scenes from the already long long long ago broadcasted anime into a nice little box and call it a feature film........ did they?

"Add in a few new scenes and it'll fool everybody."

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Nichijou 1
I'm on the fence. On one level, it was amusing, cute, and just plain stupid funny, on another level, I'm slightly disappointed it was more AzaManga (a show I don't like) and less Cromartie (a show I LOVE). I do enjoy the "everyone is a moron" humor though. Best characters: the Robot and Professor.

THAT'S RIGHT, I NEITHER LOVE IT NOR HATE IT, EAT IT POLARIZED ANIME GAF.

iavi

flawfuls said:
"Add in a few new scenes and it'll fool everybody."

It's all War-san and Ner-san's fault!
who am I kidding, everybody involved it that things production needs to be reduced to top ramen for a week.... If, uh, that's not what they're scraping by on already...

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Nichijou 1
I'm on the fence. On one level, it was amusing, cute, and just plain stupid funny, on another level, I'm slightly disappointed it was more AzaManga (a show I don't like) and less Cromartie (a show I LOVE). I do enjoy the "everyone is a moron" humor though. Best characters: the Robot and Professor.

Oh hell no

You have made a powerful enemy.

NeonZ

Miri said:

I haven't watched that movie yet, but every previous remake movie from Sunrise reused scenes from the original tv show. Even when the tv show was made 20 years before the movie.

iavi

jman2050 said:
You have made a powerful enemy.

Jman, your overconfidence will be your downfall.

You'd be pitting yourself against I afterall, the self-proclaimed anti-azu attack force leader.

NeonZ said:
I haven't watched that movie yet, but every previous remake movie from Sunrise reused scenes from the original tv show. Even when the tv show was made 20 years before the movie.

UGH, I'm trying to remember another example as blatant... nothing comes to mind.. yet.

doomed1 said:
Nichijou 1

That seems a sensible attitude to me. I think you have be in the right mood to appreciate Nichijou - I really enjoyed it, but could just as easily see myself getting bored with it on another day.

jman2050

I'm still shocked that a show that's supposed to key itself on its epic space battles manages to make said space battles so boring

I personally blame the CG.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BluWacky said:
To be fair, all the Noitamina shows get plenty of press before their launch. There was that Noitamina conference they streamed over the web to announced the first half of the year's schedules (the same day the Usagi Drop and No. 6 websites went up). Anohana was launched with a puzzle on a teaser website; we've had several trailers for C now. Fractale had unfortunate amounts of hype... etc. etc. I would suspect it's just that we mostly don't pay attention - the number of people who thought Higashi no Eden was a manga adaptation when first announced was bizarre...

One would suspect it's because many of the shows are anime originals generally designed to appeal to a non-otaku demographic (or at least should be - yes, Fractale, I'm looking at you and your shitty fanservice comedy hijinks). Or they're adaptations of seinen/josei/classy shoujo manga. How do you whore out a show like Kuragehime? The only marketing I can think of that's been more mainstream for these shows were the Koichi Domoto press for Jyu-Oh-Sei and the various marketing spinoffs from HachiKuro once it was an established success.

The Noitamina slot in itself is enough hype now, I would guess. Even if a show in the slot isn't all that, at least we're talking about the brand.

(whatever happened to NOISE, incidentally? Did they just decide they couldn't support another slightly-off-centre anime broadcast slot? We only got Michiko e Hatchin and Aoi Hana out of that, didn't we?)
I must admit, I stopped reading animesuki for the most part, so I rely mostly on wikipedia for information... and both noitanimA show pages are still pretty bare.

And, I dunno, don't people post art and trot out the VAs or whatever? I admit I have no idea what passes for PR in Japan.

And it looks like Noise was rolled into noitanimA when they expanded that to an hour. At the very least, we didn't actually lose a slot for good anime anyway. And Ristorante Paradiso is the other Noise show.

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
The mom?
:p
l9tK4.gif

Who else desires my attention?

doomed1 said:
Nichijou 1

Yeah, this is how I feel as well. It just isn't crazy enough. Does make me want to rewatch Cromartie though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
NeonZ said:
Try Zeta Gundam.
All the gundam movies pretty much consist of old footage from their respective television series, although zeta gundam had some new animated scenes.

With the exception of originals like chars counterattack and F91 gundam of course.

Tiger and Bunny 1

Normally I would hate a show with such blatant corporate sponsorship (that OP!), but somehow this works. It's the combination of ridiculous reality show superhero parody with "heroes are ordinary guys too" character drama that does it. Kotetsu is a pretty sympathetic protagonist. Hopefully the nascent buddy cop dynamic between him and Barnaby will be successful.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
Was there something that made sense to begin with?

There was a plot. Sort of. Maybe.

Now everything has just gone to hell. And to think there's still 13 episodes left.

Speaking of which, do anime companies realize how insulting clip shows are?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I keep trying to tie this back into K-On, and I come up empty. Other than moe feelings of cuteness, there is no mood or theme it touches upon, prior to mono no awares in the back half of season 2 of course. It tries to be funny and *occasionally* succeeds, but frequently it fails or produces little more than mild amusement, so it doesn't really work as a comedy. So what is the direction? That the cinematography, editing and sound design work together to make the girls look cute when they eat cake and drink tea?
I did two scene breakdowns back in the thread in which it aired... of course, without search or anything, I have no idea how to find them.

One was how the director used blocking to turn Yui into a tree for the entire episode, because she was meant to play a tree in that play (which I thought was hilarious) and the other was when I looked at how the director pushed the mono no aware angle by cutting between Sawako, the girls, and a photo album of the girls.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I did two scene breakdowns back in the thread in which it aired... of course, without search or anything, I have no idea how to find them.

One was how the director used blocking to turn Yui into a tree for the entire episode, because she was meant to play a tree in that play (which I thought was hilarious) and the other was when I looked at how the director pushed the mono no aware angle by cutting between Sawako, the girls, and a photo album of the girls.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22712685&postcount=6401

Don't remember you doing a 2nd one. Not sure why I remember it either! runs

NeonZ

Keroro's last episode just aired. Well, last episode for now anyway, considering how the staff hopes to return and the anime is still airing on Tv Tokyo with reruns, like Gintama last year.

The staff seemed kind of bitter here about Bandai dropping the show's support. Even though they probably still could show Gunpla and such, they erased all the Gunpla from the background of Keroro's room, leaving a bunch of white walls there in some scenes. Gunpla still was mentioned by the script though.

These last few episodes were kind of weird. The series had like three "final scenes" in 3 episodes, each one by a different writer.

There was a bombastic action movie-like ending... Keroro platoon become dragons to face a fleet of billions that want to consume the universe! But it was done in 15 minutes which left everything really rushed. There were a lot of references in the script though, in spite of it being, on the surface, a completely serious story.

Then there was the (kind of) official ending, with the credits playing during the episode itself and the return of the first opening theme... The episode itself also focused on the show's main premise, with a ridiculously large alien army surrounding Earth... Although there wasn't actually any action involved in the conclusion. It was amusing to see the thinly disguised Street Fighter cast from an earlier episode included in the credits like they were main characters or something.

And there was a third ending... which focused on a random slice of life event + some romance thrown in with the human cast. It also brought back the 5th season's ending theme, which seems to be a fan favorite. It was kind of funny to see the narrator interrupting the broadcast of an angst of a 13/14 years old girl to go back to Keroro himself.

Anyway, I'll miss this show if it doesn't actually return. I got into it quite late, when the 4th season was already airing, then returned to watch everything else... but... its humor style clicked with me pretty fast and I really liked the usage of references and homages here, which was generally better than cheap shout outs to current series seen in other shows (although those were here too). I also got quite lucky that by the time I watched all the fansubbed episodes available my Japanese was good enough to follow this series raw, with some help here and there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
It's ok, I won't make you find them to prove your point. :p I really only felt them hitting the mono no aware cues during the later parts in season 2. Isn't the second scene you're referring to played near the end of the series? I'm sure you'd agree that season 1 entirely lacks such emotional notes, though not necessarily the attempts at comedy.
Oh yes. It's been a while, but I can't really remember any moment of directing that particularly stands out.

Well, not quite. I remember the whole Mio falls over and flashes the crowd gag. They cut to a striped bowl of rice instead of showing her pantsu. That was clever, I guess?
(Yep, we got upskirt jokes in S1)

cosmicblizzard said:
Do any companies that produce television shows realize it?
One of the few good things about SG-1 is that while they did clip shows, they at least tried to make them more important to the overall arc of the series.

Blader

KuwabaraTheMan said:
There were no movie remakes of Zeta Gundam. Only the original 50 episodes, and nothing else.

Those movies are better than the tv series.

because that's less time watching Zeta lolololol

Lain

Star Driver 25 was really a great final episode for what I feel was a bad/boring show.
The Wako speech at the end was shitty though, and I wish it delivered some more face punches.

jman2050

Hahahahahahaha this show actually went there.

I can just imagine Vetti cursing under his breath when he didn't find anything down there.

EDIT - Actually what am I saying, this show was there from the start this is just par for the course.

jman2050

trejo said:
And we're back to Glass Fleet insanity. Great.

You think the first few episodes are something? This show gets some sort of amazing around the halfway mark.

Also, it took a while but this show finally has the last ingredient it needed.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGST

Joule

Nichijou 1: Amusing is the word I'd use for it. Not overtly funny but entertaining enough. It is very cute though. I'll most certainly keep going with it. KyoAni sure has some good production. That OP is catchy.

Baka Test OVA 2: I love me some pseudo rpg battles. Hideyoshi being Hideyoshi as usual but Voyeur is pretty much the best all the time. I loved the bit where Yuuji and Yoshii were damned if they won and damned if they lost. It was a fun watch. Summer should be good with season 2.

Star Driver 25: So it's finally over. Well at least there was some good action to top it off.

jman2050

I seriously have no idea what the hell this show is doing.

At least Vetti just continues to get more amazing with each episode, as does his homolust for Cleo.

I think it says something for how awful Star Driver is when people are happy with an ending that didn't bother explaining anything. Show might have been fine if the majority of the individual episodes were fun and enjoyable, but yeah. That didn't happen. Very nice animation in the last episode though.

Tiger & Bunny 01

That CG is awful. The ads didn't bother me, I thought they were hilarious, and them not bothering me bothers me. Being okay with such ridiculous advertisements is a bit scary to think about. The episode itself was alright I suppose, I'll continue to watch. I don't really like that style of bad father archetype though.

Nichijou 01

Very well produced. Bored out of my mind watching it. Felt like an eternity. Pretty sure this is dropped considering how stacked spring looks, and that I thought the OVA was even more of a bore.

Dog Days 01

Everything about this was so generic and average. Was an enjoyable watch though somehow. I thought the announcers were cute. The weird eyed chocobo knockoffs were something also. Will continue to watch.

Hanasaku Iroha 01

So pretty. Very daytime television drama style, but I have no problems with that. This is a show I can see going horribly wrong after a handful of strong opening episodes, and given P.A. Works track record, I hope this is the exception.

Swag

I rewatched Hanasaku Iroha, I hope Ko eventually mans up and messages her. Their is romance potential there.

flawfuls

Young Animator Training Project: Wardrobe Dwellers

So fucking adorable and heartwarming. All of these Young Animator Training Project things have been really good.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sebulon3k said:
I rewatched Hanasaku Iroha, I hope Ko eventually mans up and messages her. Their is romance potential there.
Personally he's probably the dullest character in the show so far, I'm hoping most of the time is spent towards developing all the female characters.:p

Branduil

Blooming Flowers ABC 1

People have already said this, but this was really good. Surprisingly so. It was clever of them to make Ohana wrong genre savvy, with the unexpected direction this episode took. Putting Cruella Deville in a moe show is genius.

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
Personally he's probably the dullest character in the show so far, I'm hoping most of the time is spent towards developing all the female characters.:p

Dull friendzoned characters never get any respect :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
flawfuls said:
Well i gotta give him some props for confessing in the first episode, that's gotta count for something!

Swag

flawfuls said:
Ain't it the truth :(
Lafiel said:
I can agree with this, I'd like to see some more of the backstory as to why Ohana's grandmother dislikes her daughter so much, but I think there is still enjoyment to be had if they pursued a romance plot with Ko, they do have 26 (??) episodes to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom