• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Bebpo said:
Star Driver 25 was the best ending the show could have possibly had. A+++ perfect in everyway. Going to be another 3-5 years before we see another single episode of a show that good. Great show is great; fuck the haters. Best Bones show since Eureka 7.

notsureifserious.jpg

Swag

Bebpo said:
Star Driver 25 was the best ending the show could have possibly had. A+++ perfect in everyway. Going to be another 3-5 years before we see another single episode of a show that good. Great show is great; fuck the haters. Best Bones show since Eureka 7.

*Brofist*

I'm still upset they ended the love triangle with a Wako voice over.

JKTrix

So today I watched: Star Driver Ending > Hanasaku Iroha > Super Robot Wars Ending

A sweet, mellow show between two screaming metallic climaxes.

I think I need to take a break.

Bebpo

Banned
jman2050 said:
notsureifserious.jpg

I'll turn that around to everyone who is saying ep25 didn't make any sense, since if people were paying attention to the plot and character arcs instead of just hating on SD because it's the cool thing to do, then every line in ep25 would have made sense and resolved the outstanding plotlines.

The show is definitely a character show with a background story stringing the character eps together, but that doesn't make the background story bad just because it's not the focus of the show; especially when it has a nice conclusion and makes sense without too many major plot holes. The characters were good, the story was interesting, and the mecha action was solid.

Great show.

Sebulon3k said:
*Brofist*

I'm still upset they ended the love triangle with a Wako voice over.

The voice over was definitely out of place. One odd part of the episode. Felt tacked on since they had no mins to spare elsewhere. The viewers are too busy focusing on AMAZING MECHA ACTION and they don't really care about Wako having some confession at the same time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Bebpo said:
21l4ynm.gif

The only good best BONES show since Eureka Seven was clearly Ouran Highschool Host Club.

jman2050

Bebpo said:
I'll turn that around to everyone who is saying ep25 didn't make any sense, since if people were paying attention to the plot and character arcs instead of just hating on SD because it's the cool thing to do, then every line in ep25 would have made sense and resolved the outstanding plotlines.

The show is definitely a character show with a background story stringing the character eps together, but that doesn't make the background story bad just because it's not the focus of the show; especially when it has a nice conclusion and makes sense without too many major plot holes. The characters were good, the story was interesting, and the mecha action was solid.

Great show.

notsureifserious.jpg

Jex

On a purely technical side - Super Robot Wars, X-Men, Case;Irvine, Break Blade and Star Driver demonstrate that traditionally drawn mechanical animators exist, and they draw sweet stuff.

Bebpo is shown to be insane.

even Dresden will have no part in this LOL LOL LOL

I will give it the crazy action and DAT PUNCH a certain motherfucker deserved.

JKTrix

I just mentioned Ristorante Paradiso when talking about Hanasaku Iroha, then I click a few pages into Crunchyroll and see that Otaku-Verse Zero is on there now. This episode I'm watching has Patrick Macias and seiyuu Yuu Asakawa actually going to one of these 'butler restaurants', though they're not all old men like in RP.

I would be totally uncomfortable in a place like that.

Swag

Bebpo said:
There were definitely plot points that didn't make sense, for example Sugata only joining the Crux in order to seal Samekh forever, however seeing as how he is the only person that can pilot Samekh it would make sense to just never join the Crux no? Unless of course Head's Cybody could Apprivoise it without it being apprivoised, but they didn't really make it clear on his Cybodies abilities. As for Head's motivations, this actually made sense, sacrifice the current world to time travel back to when he was in a happy relationship with his girlfriend, before he became obsessed with the Mark.
Bebpo said:
The voice over was definitely out of place. One odd part of the episode. Felt tacked on since they had no mins to spare elsewhere. The viewers are too busy focusing on AMAZING MECHA ACTION and they don't really care about Wako having some confession at the same time.
The buildup to that scene was kind of ridiculous, they've been hinting at it for literally 7 episodes, culminating in her giving a voice over which Takuto couldn't possibly have heard. It would've been better to have it done prior to him breaking her Seal, perfect timing.

iavi

7Th said:
Jesus Christ, what are the odds? The new Beelzebub ending has direction and animation direction by the Yasuomi Umetsu we were talking about a few pages ago.

And the show looks nothing like this... Shonen op/ed's have to be thee most deceptive thing to ever grace this planet.

Besides the jump in production values, I don't see anything special about this

flawfuls said:
Kuragehime.

Aha, that show was actually great for scenes like that.

Cwarrior

Sebulon3k said:
The buildup to that scene was kind of ridiculous, they've been hinting at it for literally 7 episodes, culminating in her giving a voice over which Takuto couldn't possibly have heard. It would've been better to have it done prior to him breaking her Seal, perfect timing.

when i heard it in the preview i thought she would of said it to his face, but alas.

Jesus Christ, what are the odds? The new Beelzebub ending has direction and animation direction by the Yasuomi Umetsu we were talking about a few pages ago.

This is what he's doing for a living now?

and yea looks nothing like the characters lol

iavi

Cwarrior said:
most deceptive opening ever is this one for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7Wh8V0S48

made believe something actual happens in the last arc

Never watched enough FMA to know about this one, lol.

But I will give Bones credit where the credit is due, they'll have an op that looks incredible, and actually follow it up with an episode that matches it in the production values dept--eh, at times.

Jex

Man, working at KyoAni sounds nothing like grinding away in those animation slavehouses -

As for new people, there're more than 10 new in-house inbetweeners in the credits. A few new finishing/art department people too.

I was surpised to see Nozomi Aisaka in the inbetween credits of Nichijou #0. So did she leave Studio Wanpack for KyoAni?

It's noteworthy that some of the same people who were doing inbetweens on Doraemon back in 1994 are still doing inbetweens now.

Inbetweening at KyoAni seems to be a really good job compared to other studios. Paid overtime work and fixed working hours.

However, some of those inbetweeners were promoted to key animation for some time but then returned to inbetweens or animation check.

Blader

Bebpo said:

Poor BONES.

Swag

Infinite Justice said:
Whats funny that scene was heavily edited.
I kind of want to see the unedited version, that one was sort of bland.
jman2050 said:
Didn't you learn from the School Days fiasco?
Actually this show is pretty straightforward, it's just bleh.
School Days was disturbing for reasons other then the
Gore in the ending, more of a psychological effect
. I sort of wanna watch more horror / gore shows but last time I asked everyone said play Saya no Uta which was sort of a let down. I hear Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is the Bees Knees though

7Th

Infinite Justice said:
Now this is really deceptive and now i'm disappointed :(

>Naruto characters
>actually using martial arts and hand-to-hand combat

I know, it doesn't get any more deceptive.

Jex

Hanasaku Iroha 1: Is 2011 the year of great anime drama?

I doubt it, but that would be my sensationalist headline if I were a blogger.

This was great, and easily the best opening episode to a show this season. Good writing, great flow, good editing, deliberate pacing and nice animation. Fingers crossed that this show can stay at this high level throughout its run, like Wandering Son.

This season has had a great start, really.

Tiger and Bunny
X-Men
Hanasaku Iroha

Nichjou - boring for me but well made. Very entertaining for others.

iavi

Jexhius said:

Was Lucky Star this polarizing? It's hilarious how everybody is either," This was hilarious," or "I couldn't even crack a smile." There's, seemingly, no real middle ground to be had.

NewFresh

Jexhius said:
Hanasaku Iroha 1: Is 2011 the year of great anime drama?

Hanasaku Iroha I did not like the plot description so I was considering passing on it, but this will get me to at least watch the first episode.

Nichjou Thought it did drag a bit but njoyed it a lot nonetheless. The principles jokes especially got to me.

7Th

Miri said:
Was Lucky Star this polarizing? It's hilarious how everybody is either," This was hilarious," or "I couldn't even crack a smile." There's, seemingly, no real middle ground to be had.

I didn't find it funny and I enjoyed it regardless; pretty great art design and animation.

Dresden

Miri said:
Lucky Star was never this good.

0nNT2.gif

I just wanted to post that. No reason.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
Lucky Star is genuinely bad, though. I would call it the low point of KyoAni but those Key adaptations are pretty bad too..

Anyways, the polarizing reception probably has to do with the type of humor the show uses. It's not for everyone.

tiff

Banned
Miri said:
Every show is polarizing on GAF.

trejo

So, Nichijou 1

Definitely funnier than the last episode but I'm not really feeling it. As someone mentioned before it's like Azumanga mixed with Excel Saga but it's just not as good as either. It's really hard to pull off random crazyness in just the right way. Still, I'll give it a few more episodes and maybe it'll grow on me.

Animation is pretty great, though. I love the OP/ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom