• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichijou 1

Lovely show. Its humor works for me because of how blithely everyone carries on their "ordinary lives" with the insanity and randomness around them. It has a good sense of pacing; no scene felt rushed or dragged out. I like the characters that they've shown so far and how they interact with each other. This has great potential to be an amusing, adorable little show.

And of course, being KyoAni, it looks great. I especially like the animation in the OP and ED.

7Th

Lafiel said:
I've been thinking about it, and the new noitanimA slice-of-life show ano hata sounds like wasted potential based on the premise, it should have revolved around adults instead of teens plus A-1 pictures track record recently is not good lolz.

It's by the staff of Toradora, tho! The director, the writer and the character designer are all in! GAF should be all over it!

jman2050

7Th said:
It's by the staff of Toradora, tho! The director, the writer and the character designer are all in! GAF should be all over it!

Toradora benefited from being adapted from good source material. The jury is still out on this show. We'll see though :p

duckroll

Now that I think about it, Ando is the perfect director to handle Hanasaku Iroha. His finest achievement so far is an awesome slice-off-life movie. Making a good slice-of-life TV series shouldn't be too different...

Please don't kill me, I like being lame sometimes... :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
jman2050 said:
Incidentally Anime Y seems to fit the type of show that I vehemently dislike to a tee.
We can't be friends.:(

First I'll haft to see Toradora to see if that's really a good thing.

Instro

Hanasaku Iroha - 1

Damn that was really good, favorite show of the season so far. The animation was nice, the setting and characters seem pretty amusing too. Quality first episode for sure.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:

duckroll said:
Now that I think about it, Ando is the perfect director to handle Hanasaku Iroha. His finest achievement so far is an awesome slice-off-life movie. Making a good slice-of-life TV series shouldn't be too different...

10000236-00-00-00-00_lg.png

duckroll

So I looked back on my pre-season to-watch list...

duckroll said:
Will watch at least 1 episode of:

- Hanasaku
- X-Men
- Deadman Wonderland
- C
- Dororon

The two shows which aired so far have definitely exceeded my expectations. Dororon is next to air on Thursday. Hope it's good! :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:

While I'm not so sure if Hanasaku Iroha is suited to his talents, i actually greatly prefer shows like iroha over action stuff like sword of the stranger, so i for one, am glad he's using his talents towards slice-of-life instead of dumb action! :p

duckroll

Lafiel said:
While I'm not so sure if Hanasaku Iroha is suited to his talents, i actually greatly prefer shows like iroha over action stuff like sword of the stranger, so i for one, am glad he's using his talents towards slice-of-life instead of dumb action! :p

I keel u!

Dresden

jman2050 said:
Alright enough of this Namby-Pamby slice of life K-On kawaii desu~ bullshit.

TIME FOR MORE GONZO. WHERE ARE YOU BRANDUIL?
This is like one of those double-suicides that doomed lovers often engage in.

Lain

Just finished (re)watching the last episode of Majokko Meg-chan, and I couldn't help but think about the role of fanservice in magical girls show. I mean, this is a 1974 show, but there is plenty of it. Funny that when I was younger I never gave much importance to those panty shots (I still don't give much importance to them today, but at least I take notice of them), or how in the opening you have the creepy mage focusing on Meg's ass with a binocular.
Still, for how much old it is, it is still good stuff (and the Italian opening is so good).

Tiger and Bunny 1

Wow, this was actually really good. Knew nothing about this going in, so this might end up being the surprise of the season for me.

jman2050

Lain said:
Just finished (re)watching the last episode of Majokko Meg-chan, and I couldn't help but think about the role of fanservice in magical girls show. I mean, this is a 1974 show, but there is plenty of it. Funny that when I was younger I never gave much importance to those panty shots (I still don't give much importance to them today, but at least I take notice of them), or how in the opening you have the creepy mage focusing on Meg's ass with a binocular.
Still, for how much old it is, it is still good stuff (and the Italian opening is so good).

You act like the practice of overt sexualization in visual entertainment mediums hasn't been employed to its fullest extent since said mediums were first put into practical use.

jman2050

I feel like Cleo knows full well he's in the wrong show and continually hates that fact. It's the only explanation for his character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I dunno, I think if you are going to give direction a definition at all it should be how the elements are put together to forward the whole work, rather than hey, all of these completely disparate elements are good. So good direction would be good lighting/editing/sound design/whatever put to some kind of synergistic purpose. Are these good elements put together for any particular reason (to carry a theme, plot point, moment of character development, etc.) or are they just good separately? Because if it's the latter, I don't really think that describes good 'direction' at all. And writing kind of inseparably underlies all of this, because direction gives life to what's contained in the script and can't exist without it (usually).
Good direction serves various purposes, but the two most obvious ones are audience manipulation and conveyance of theme (although, usually the two are usually connected). Action fans would consider good direction coherent action scenes (ie, every video freddiew of youtube fame is basically him trying to espouse his action directing philosophy).

Typically, a director/cinematographer is either trying to give information to the audience or to without information in order to create tension. How this information is delivered or withheld is how meaning is created in the language of film/television/animation.

Lain

jman2050 said:
You act like the practice of overt sexualization in visual entertainment mediums hasn't been employed to its fullest extent since said mediums were first put into practical use.
I don't think I was acting that way. It was simply a realization, or more exactly, a reaffirmation, that people always complaining about fanservice today as if it is something "new" that is ruining anime now are misguided.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
I guess that makes sense. Still, what you described is a setting, not a genre, though I guess the distinction is meaningless for the purposes of this discussion.
I believe the standard definition is that slice of life shows are shows that depict a slice of life. The emphasis is on recreating an experience rather than on a particular action or conflict. They are essentially shows about nothing specific - you are just watching someone live their life. It's hard to pin down because it seems to describe to a particular theme, setting, tone or mood, but there's no one standard one-size fits all definition... which is why Aria can be tossed into the genre as HidaSketch.

Lafiel said:
I've been thinking about it, and the new noitanimA slice-of-life show ano hata sounds like wasted potential based on the premise, it should have revolved around adults instead of teens plus A-1 pictures track record recently is not good lolz.
You never know with A-1, it seems. What the heck is Ano Hata supposed to be about anyway?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
Anything that has a fan dedicated enough to make an OT.
I'm pretty sure Jexhius said he was making a Kaiji S2 thread, and C probably deserves it's own thread. I'm also kinda tempted to make a iroha thread, but I'm not so sure if it appeals to anyone outside anime-gaf or leads itself much to week-to-week discussion compared to a show like x-men does.

duckroll

Lafiel said:
I'm pretty sure Jexhius said he was making a Kaiji S2 thread, and C probably deserves it's own thread. And I'm kinda tempted to make a iroha thread, but I'm not so sure if it appeals to anyone outside anime-gaf or leads itself much to week-to-week discussion like a show like x-men does.

Hanasaku Iroha is a 26 episode show, it's going to air all the way until October. Lots of time to decide if it actually "needs" an OT. No rush.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
So we got Gintama and X-men OTs so far. What else should get one? Kaiji, Steins;Gate, C, Toriko?

We do? I9 should post links to the OT's in the OP.

7Th said:
Anything that has a fan dedicated enough to make an OT.

Hyouge Mono thread here we come!
As long as it isn't a total disaster which is very possible.

BluWacky

Unknown Soldier said:
So when considering jman2050 and Branduil, who is Romeo and who is Juliet?

This is Gonzo we're talking about - who is more likely to sprout wings and turn into a magical tree? That'll give you your answer.

Hanasaku Iroha 1

This show wasn't on my radar at all, but I'm glad the good buzz here made me check it out. An auspicious beginning to what looks to be a poetic coming-of-age story. The contrast between Ohana's optimism and the constant setbacks she receives is well done. I hope the show delves into the backstories of Ohana's grandmother and Minko; I'm always interested in what makes people like that tick.

BluWacky

firehawk12 said:
You never know with A-1, it seems. What the heck is Ano Hata supposed to be about anyway?

Anohana's plot synopsis is very vague. Basically seems to be about friends who have drifted apart but reunite and reminisce in their later teens. Should be melodramatic, no doubt.

flawfuls said:
Hyouge Mono thread here we come!

Have you watched the trailer? It looks like something from 1993. Say what you will about Bee Train, but if you just let them do their weirdly lit super-inbetweened nonsense chanting incoherent assassin mystery shows they usually do an okay job of them - give them anything else, and it tends to go horribly wrong...

I actually thought they did a decent job of making Sakura a bit more interesting in Tsubasa Chronicle than she is in the earlier parts of the manga, but why they couldn't have picked a studio that can do fantasy action sequences to animate that show I have no idea...

Geneijin

No, ABF, I thought we were passed this. It's over! We're free from it! Why must this continue!? Oh well :lol
A Black Falcon said:
:lol Oh wow, the possibilities this plot element suggests... it's so absurd that they'd pull something that crazy right at the end, with almost no explanation! IS show of the (winter) season confirmed, your list early in this thread is accurate. :)
No, no, no, no, no. What nonsense is this? I never made such a list. I demand immunity.

I do have a question and maybe some comments, though.
Byakushiki moved by itself in ep. 12? When?
It never moved by itself in Episode 12. The only incident of this happening according to Chifuyu-nee and Tabane's conversation was when Tabane lured Ichika into a room with an IS and Tabane supposedly made the IS move as though Ichika himself was controlling it. However, she also suggests how it wasn't the first time that very IS moved by itself and how she doesn't know how "it" - Byakushiki - operates either. She also implies that the IS Ichika moved during the exam was Byakushiki, who moved itself, not Tabane. That's what I've concluded anyway.

... Hmm... on that note, I just thought of something. "Do you want to be strong", the girl in the dream asked, if I remember right... maybe that girl is the spirit of Byakushiki or something like that? I don't know, it could be. Perhaps not, but maybe it's another possibility.
Oh dear God, I didn't think of that.
Byakushiki is part of the harem confirmed.

It would serve to explain why he can control it and no one else can, though. I'm not sure if it'd mean that he's even more super-amazing, though, like you said in the previous post... I mean, if he's the only guy just because she picked him, doesn't that mean that maybe he's less special, not more? "You aren't actually special, we just picked you because you're lucky and because of who your sister is!"
Actually, his relationship with his sister reinforces he's extra special because the White Knight, who's probably Chifuyu-nee, might have been wearing donning Byakushiki when the missile crisis happened. The same special IS Chifuyu-nee wore as a White Knight could have been the IS given to Ichika before it formatted during his battle with Cecilia. He has the potential to surpass his sister! Oh brother. The story might just do that.

Or maybe they'd just forget about it and change topics. IS did that a lot. The constant, ridiculous inconsistencies are part of what made IS such a humorously terrible show... :)
Yep. It's inconsistent to say the least. It's probably why you didn't respond to my Episode 11 response either :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana's plot synopsis is very vague. Basically seems to be about friends who have drifted apart but reunite and reminisce in their later teens. Should be melodramatic, no doubt.
Yeah that's what i get from the premise, except it sounds kinda lame if it revolves around teens, a more interesting setting would be about friends who have drifted apart in their teens and then later reminisce about it in their adult years, it would come off as more realistic in that sense.

Instro

Lafiel said:
Yeah that's what i get from the premise, except it sounds kinda lame if it revolves around teens, a more interesting setting would be about friends who have drifted apart in their teens and then later reminisce about it in their adult years, it would come off as more realistic in that sense.

So anime version of The Big Chill?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Re-watched the first Hanasaku Iroha episode. (something i rarely do) and it's still as good as ever! ;_; it would be heartbreaking if this show ended up sucking, because everything feels so perfect to me.:)

And heh i think Chiaki Omigawa character (dat voice) is easily the most interesting one in the series so far, I'm kinda eager to see how she develops down the line.:)

firehawk12 said:
What is it with the lack of hype/press for these noitanimA shows? Sounds very mono no aware anyway. :p
Oh yeah that's what I'm hoping for from the show, it would be amazing if it could nail down that feel.:p

Hanasaku Iroha

Very interesting but man the art kinda reminds me of Toradora so much i'm actually excited to see how it goes.

Plus this clash between what she thinks is right to how the place is run intrigues me as well (its like getting a "reality check" of sorts). I would like to see why Minko and the grandma are like that and if the MC will spark some change.

jman2050

Oh my god this show gets more amazing by the episode.

Vetti's backstory is magnificent in so many different ways I don't even know where to start.

duckroll

Lafiel said:
And heh i think Chiaki Omigawa character (dat voice) is easily the most interesting one in the series so far, I'm kinda eager to see how she develops down the line.:)

Somehow, I was not surprised that she feels the need to repeatedly tell the audience to go die. Not after all the things we've been saying about her over the years!

BluWacky

firehawk12 said:
What is it with the lack of hype/press for these noitanimA shows? Sounds very mono no aware anyway. :p

To be fair, all the Noitamina shows get plenty of press before their launch. There was that Noitamina conference they streamed over the web to announced the first half of the year's schedules (the same day the Usagi Drop and No. 6 websites went up). Anohana was launched with a puzzle on a teaser website; we've had several trailers for C now. Fractale had unfortunate amounts of hype... etc. etc. I would suspect it's just that we mostly don't pay attention - the number of people who thought Higashi no Eden was a manga adaptation when first announced was bizarre...

One would suspect it's because many of the shows are anime originals generally designed to appeal to a non-otaku demographic (or at least should be - yes, Fractale, I'm looking at you and your shitty fanservice comedy hijinks). Or they're adaptations of seinen/josei/classy shoujo manga. How do you whore out a show like Kuragehime? The only marketing I can think of that's been more mainstream for these shows were the Koichi Domoto press for Jyu-Oh-Sei and the various marketing spinoffs from HachiKuro once it was an established success.

The Noitamina slot in itself is enough hype now, I would guess. Even if a show in the slot isn't all that, at least we're talking about the brand.

(whatever happened to NOISE, incidentally? Did they just decide they couldn't support another slightly-off-centre anime broadcast slot? We only got Michiko e Hatchin and Aoi Hana out of that, didn't we?)

flawfuls

BluWacky said:
Have you watched the trailer? It looks like something from 1993. Say what you will about Bee Train, but if you just let them do their weirdly lit super-inbetweened nonsense chanting incoherent assassin mystery shows they usually do an okay job of them - give them anything else, and it tends to go horribly wrong...

I actually thought they did a decent job of making Sakura a bit more interesting in Tsubasa Chronicle than she is in the earlier parts of the manga, but why they couldn't have picked a studio that can do fantasy action sequences to animate that show I have no idea...

It's a 39 episode show, give them a break they're not made of money. At least it looked faithful to the excellent manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom