• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

flawfuls said:
Young Animator Training Project: Wardrobe Dwellers

So fucking adorable and heartwarming. All of these Young Animator Training Project things have been really good.

Yeah I watched it earlier, definitely agree with you on both counts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Heh, well, I've never been compelled to enter into an argument about K-On before in part because I can't remember much about it, other than it being cute, mildly amusing, and aesthetically pleasing. Both seasons really. I felt what season 2 wanted me to feel, but there are other shows that hit that same note that have more richness to them (e.g. Aria!) because it feels like hitting those emotional notes is less of an afterthought and more of a central tenet of the experience.

The upskirt joke is kind of the same thing as the moe moe kyun~ scene in that it's nipping at the hand that feeds (the audience) but not really enough to give the show an overall tone of subversiveness or anything. It's a few self-aware jokes just so that we know that they know exactly what we expect the show to be. Which is exactly what it is. Uh, I hope that made sense!
I think Aria probably worked better because they could go all mono no aware on different things - from the change of seasons to the getting a new gondala to, yes, even graduations. I mean, K-On!! only had a few events and the first half was mostly moe moe kyun as well (including the Mio fanclub), so it isn't consistently at the level of Aria but I think when it hits the moments, it does it right. The tears at the end of their final school concert, for example!

And yeah, the show is aware of the social contract between itself (or its staff) and the audience members. I get the feeling that they eventually felt embarrassed for that though. :p

You know, I was trying my best not to bring it up today, but there's this animu with a clip show in it which contains and is built around a moment that is crucial and indispensable to the overall arc of the series... :p
Go animu!

Branduil

Sebulon3k said:
Ain't it the truth :(

I can agree with this, I'd like to see some more of the backstory as to why Ohana's grandmother dislikes her daughter so much, but I think there is still enjoyment to be had if they pursued a romance plot with Ko, they do have 26 (??) episodes to work with.
I imagine it has something to do with Ohana's mother being an irresponsible, awful person and Ohana's grandmother being a hot springs Nazi. Of course the latter probably caused the former, but hey.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
Oh hell no

You have made a powerful enemy.
AzuManga to this day fails to give me any reason to enjoy it. Yes, it's silly and cute, but that's not enough for me when it comes to slice of life, I usually prefer to have some sort of reference point to my own life to REALLY be able to enjoy a show. For example, K-ON reminds me of when I was in a rock band in high school, likewise Lucky Star is reflective of how much of a NERD I am, and Cromartie High School is a MAN'S show about MANLY MENLY MEN, and as a MAN, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly as well. Azumanga is a show about cute girls being cute and the cute and silly things that happen to them. I am neither cutesy nor a girl, so it therefore does not interest me as much. I understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Swag

icarus-daedelus said:
Although I didn't much like some of the musical choices, I was able to buy them because of the way they fit the lead's personality.
The insert song kinda sucked, but I'm coming off of a P&S viewing so my standards are a little high right now.

duckroll

Sebulon3k said:
The insert song kinda sucked, but I'm coming off of a P&S viewing so my standards are a little high right now.

No, it has nothing to do with your standards. The songs suck. I hate the vocalist's voice too. Awful.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
Azumanga is a show about cute girls being cute and the cute and silly things that happen to them. I am neither cutesy nor a girl, so it therefore does not interest me as much. I understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.
That's not what it's about at all though.

flawfuls

Ring ni Kakero 1-2 (not the one airing this season)

Haha that was a blast. The manga this is based on is like 40 years and super long so I think this is just a super condensed version of the key parts. The story starts with the climactic final round between the main character and his eternal rival and they just try to explain everything with a bunch of flashbacks. It's all classic over the top shounen boxing stuff, but the fact that try to cram it all into such a short amount of time makes it overwhelming and hilarious. I hope the rest of the arcs are this fun.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
KuwabaraTheMan said:
No, K-On is about making people remember their experiences in high school bands. Didn't you read his post?
I was in a band and it didn't do that for me at all. ): Mostly because we actually played music most of the time while shooting the shit.

hellclerk

KuwabaraTheMan said:
No, K-On is about making people remember their experiences in high school bands. Didn't you read his post?
K-ON is a comedy about being in a rock band in high school. Azumanga is a comedy about being a girl in high school. If you have an objection, please explain.

trejo

doomed1 said:
K-ON is a comedy about being in a rock band in high school. Azumanga is a comedy about being a girl in high school. If you have an objection, please explain.
K-on is a comedy? News to me.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
"Cute girls doing cute things" is a much more accurate summary of K-on than Azumanga. K-on is about cute girls doing cute things, a high school band is just the vehicle for those cute things. Azumanga is about funny girls doing funny things, them being cute is not really played up outside of Chiyo, where it's mainly played up for comedic effect.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Azumanga is a show about cute girls being cute and the cute and silly things that happen to them. I am neither cutesy nor a girl, so it therefore does not interest me as much. I understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.
The show is printed in a boys magazine though! and it's not exactly otaku-bait either. Although I've always found the appeal of azumanga to not be gender-specific in any sense.

Yeah the insert songs are really the only thing that's not working for me right now, speaking of which was the ending at the end of the episode suppose to be the opening? because according to wikipedia the band that does the ending is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_(band) and that song certainly didn't sound like jazz! that said i really don't expect a anime to have a 80s jazz band doing a ending theme for a anime series, it's probably just a modern japanese group that happens to be called sphere.

jman2050

So how long is this show going to keep pretending that Vetti is the main antagonist?
Or that he isn't Cleo's brother. Oh like you weren't thinking that the moment they had their first fight

doomed1 said:
AzuManga to this day fails to give me any reason to enjoy it. Yes, it's silly and cute, but that's not enough for me when it comes to slice of life, I usually prefer to have some sort of reference point to my own life to REALLY be able to enjoy a show. For example, K-ON reminds me of when I was in a rock band in high school, likewise Lucky Star is reflective of how much of a NERD I am, and Cromartie High School is a MAN'S show about MANLY MENLY MEN, and as a MAN, I enjoyed it quite thoroughly as well. Azumanga is a show about cute girls being cute and the cute and silly things that happen to them. I am neither cutesy nor a girl, so it therefore does not interest me as much. I understand the appeal, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Yet you like K-ON???

Anyways i actually need to watch Level-E like i said i would

hellclerk

Branduil said:
"Cute girls doing cute things" is a much more accurate summary of K-on than Azumanga. K-on is about cute girls doing cute things, a high school band is just the vehicle for those cute things. Azumanga is about funny girls doing funny things, them being cute is not really played up outside of Chiyo, where it's mainly played up for comedic effect.
That's a matter of opinion. I use "cute" in the realm of "Generic Cuteness" so in that regard it's more of an objective term (in addition, can you REALLY say that the events surrounding the girls can't be considered 'cute'?), but I don't deny that it's a summary of K-ON either, I was just stating what K-ON's most important element was to me, and that was the high school rock band thing. They're both comedies, even if I don't find Azumanga very funny, I just happen to like the one that's about a rock band.

But eh...
sVWFz.gif

trejo

Infinite Justice said:
Yet you like K-ON???
He was in a band, man. It's relatable.

Guess that means he mustn't like Bebop either. Unless he's had experiences as a badass space bounty hunter or something.

iavi

doomed1 said:
That's a matter of opinion. I use "cute" in the realm of "Generic Cuteness" so in that regard it's more of an objective term (in addition, can you REALLY say that the events surrounding the girls can't be considered 'cute'?), but I don't deny that it's a summary of K-ON either, I was just stating what K-ON's most important element was to me, and that was the high school rock band thing. They're both comedies, even if I don't find Azumanga very funny, I just happen to like the one that's about a rock band.

K-On.... was hardly about the music, man.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
That's a matter of opinion. I use "cute" in the realm of "Generic Cuteness" so in that regard it's more of an objective term (in addition, can you REALLY say that the events surrounding the girls can't be considered 'cute'?)
By that kind of logic you would call Sword of the Stranger a slice-off-life film about manly guys doing manly things instead of a samurai film.

duckroll's joke isn't better the second time.

jman2050

Now I know why he didn't like Madoka. He obviously hasn't had experience as an adolescent magical girl subject to the whims of a non-caring fluffy cute alien being.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think you guys missed this part:
doomed1 said:
Yes, it's silly and cute, but that's not enough for me when it comes to slice of life, I usually prefer to have some sort of reference point to my own life to REALLY be able to enjoy a show.

Unless Bebop and Madoka are slice of life..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
For me, the second half of season 2 is too little, too late really. There's not enough attachment to the characters actually built up in the first 1.5 seasons to make the ending feel as earned as it should have been. It drew a little too much upon sentimental memories I had of graduating from high school myself, which isn't good enough. Anything can cheaply draw on common emotional experiences shared by much of the populace in order to get a reaction. Aria has to build new gondola-related feelings from the ground up, dammit, I've never even been in a gondola! :p

(Plus, they're all going to the same college next year, aren't they? The only one who has anything to feel sad about is Ui, and she's kind of a freak. And Azusa, but nobody cares about Azusa.)
I'm trying to remember... there was Asuza mono no aware at the beginning, then Sawako mono no aware with the wedding, then college girl #1 Mio fan mono no aware, one school trip and one club trip, more Asuza mono no aware, then the play, the concert and graduation. So they did try to spread it out.

I do agree that, for the most part, the characters are fairly empty so the stakes aren't there. Mugi is the rich, super smart girl whose only problem is that she's socially awkward... so I guess I can see why you wouldn't really care about what happens to them.

And yeah, it's a cheat that they all go to the same school... but that's the happy ending! (Only, of course, it's not the ending. :p)

It's something special, I think you should finish it already so you'd know what I'm talking about. ;p Really, I'd rather the episode in question was a "real" episode, but if you are going to make a clip show to save money on your already cheap-ass 90s animu, you might as well make it worth sitting through for the audience, right?
It's actually a Sailor Moon episode inserted in the middle of the clip show?! I'm certainly interested in seeing what they could have done to make a clip show interesting anyway.

Miri said:
K-On.... was hardly about the music, man.
HTT 4EVER! Fuwa fuwa time!

duckroll

Branduil said:
By that kind of logic you would call Sword of the Stranger a slice-off-life film about manly guys doing manly things instead of a samurai film.

duckroll's joke isn't better the second time.

I don't think you got the joke. It's about them slicing off lives. Or maybe you got it. It's still not funny. I suck.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to watch a few of School Rumble... Tsuna-chan! <3.

Edit: Been updating my MAL too. And took a look at my score. Mean Score: 5.0, Score Dev.: -2.89

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
trejo said:
He was in a band, man. It's relatable.

Guess that means he mustn't like Bebop either. Unless he's had experiences as a badass space bounty hunter or something.
Beck is a better anime to reminisce about old band times really. I admit I was expecting something similar when I started watching K-ON!

Risette

A Good Citizen
trejo said:
Enjoy the first episode! Everything after it? Eh...
Well at least it has a nice box with nice covers for each disc I guess. It sounded interesting :(

Looks like I got burned by BONES again.

hellclerk

InfiniteNine said:
Beck is a better anime to reminisce about old band times really. I admit I was expecting something similar when I started watching K-ON!
It would be, if I didn't HATE how big and unrealistic it got for its britches. >:|

Like fuck a high school punk with no redeeming qualities goes from "never touched a guitar in his life" to "FUCK YEAH ROCK STAR" over that amount of time. Silly.

Instro

Aigis said:
Is Kurau: Phantom Memory good? Because I just bought it.

Ive never seen it but I heard its pretty decent. That crunchyroll deal seems like a pretty good price for what you get.

Joule

Hanasaku Iroha 1: That was quite good insert song aside. It's also really pretty to look at as is usually the cast for PA Works. The characters seem pretty enjoyable from just an episode. Looking forward to finding out more about them. Ohana herself I quite like (Kanae Itou yay). She's got some energy. Poor Ko, at least he went in on the very first episode. I hope he mails her sometime soon : ( There was a piece of music in there that reminded me of Aria. I also appreciate every time Mamiko Noto gets casted as an energetic character.

Best opening episode I've seen thus far. Good start for PA Works, I hope this time they can do a good show.

jman2050

Only seven more episodes to go and I won't have to deal with this anymore.

I'm sure Branduil will have all the sordid details once he gets to where I am but ahahahahahahahahahaha.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
doomed1 said:
It would be, if I didn't HATE how big and unrealistic it got for its britches. >:|

Like fuck a high school punk with no redeeming qualities goes from "never touched a guitar in his life" to "FUCK YEAH ROCK STAR" over that amount of time. Silly.
Who cares? It was enjoyable and did a better job depicting hanging out with your bandmates, meeting interesting people, practicing shit, etc... I mean I find it more palatable than eating cake all the time and generally not doing anything interesting.

iavi

doomed1 said:

It spanned a few years before he even jammed with the band, iirc. And if we're to talk the real world, I've seen much crazier shit happen.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
K-ON way a far better show than beck though - production and direction-wise, and of course K-ON didn't have the awful engrish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom