• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
InfiniteNine said:
Who cares? It was enjoyable and did a better job depicting hanging out with your bandmates, meeting interesting people, practicing shit, etc.
Yeah, I did like most of the other characters sans Mr. Anime Protagonist Syndrome, but it's also more of a drama, and the sort of circumstances and interpersonal dynamics in my high school band were closer to K-ON than BECK. Actually, my current band project relates closer to BECK, so I can appreciate it on that level, I just found K-ON, well, funny, so I regard it in a different light. Not necessarily a better one, just a different one.

doomed1 said:
It would be, if I didn't HATE how big and unrealistic it got for its britches. >:|

Like fuck a high school punk with no redeeming qualities goes from "never touched a guitar in his life" to "FUCK YEAH ROCK STAR" over that amount of time. Silly.

Welcome to every anime where characters have a defined goal ever. Also JRPGs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
flawfuls said:
So is nobody going to sub Showa Monogatari?
Just relax and have faith. Some where, there is a group who will pick it up.

Then either slow down to months apart between releases or drop it together for the lack of interest.

Lain

Hanasaku Iroha seems interesting and it looks good, the episode was enjoyable and all, but every single character in it sucks. Well, maybe Ohana not as much as the other, but so far, I dislike almost every single one of them.

Branduil

Lain said:
Hanasaku Iroha seems interesting and it looks good, the episode was enjoyable and all, but every single character in it sucks. Well, maybe Ohana not as much as the other, but so far, I dislike almost every single one of them.
Too three-dimensional?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm going to go ahead and pimp the dub for Beck here, which I actually think is superior to the Japanese voices and elevates the show a bit. It goes without saying that it entirely lacks Engrish, to boot.

I find Beck really frustrating and implausible at points, but it does have more going for it in terms of music and characters than K-On, which should count for something. I'd probably put them on an even level of enjoyment, which is like a pretty consistent 6 or 7.
K-On isn't about playing music... it was just about selling singles (an ungodly number of singles).

In the same way that HidaSketch doesn't really have a lot of art in it, despite the fact that they're all super wacky creative artsy fartsy types at an art school.

flawfuls

shintoki said:
Just relax and have faith. Some where, there is a group who will pick it up.

Then either slow down to months apart between releases or drop it together for the lack of interest.

One can only hope.

Lain

Branduil said:
Too three-dimensional?
Nope, too shitty. Unreasonable. I don't know, they annoyed me in the way they acted. Mom is a bitch, grandmother is a bitch, that one girl is a bitch, etc etc.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
K-On isn't about playing music... it was just about selling singles (an ungodly number of singles).

In the same way that HidaSketch doesn't really have a lot of art in it, despite the fact that they're all super wacky creative artsy fartsy types at an art school.

The cast of HidaSketch don't spend enough time being artsy fartsy : (

Branduil

Lain said:
Nope, too shitty. Unreasonable. I don't know, they annoyed me in the way they acted. Mom is a bitch, grandmother is a bitch, that one girl is a bitch, etc etc.
It's certainly true they have flaws that aren't instantly fetishized, but that's part of what makes the writing good. Obviously you still need sympathetic characters, but I felt they did a good job doing that with Ohana.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lain said:
I actually like every character I've seen in the show so far, even the mother and grandmother, the former I'm hoping appears more in the series later on!

trejo

Lain said:
I'm sure they each have their own circumstances which will be delved further into later on. Painting them all with the same brush like that doesn't seem fair, imo.

Geneijin said:
No, ABF, I thought we were passed this. It's over! We're free from it! Why must this continue!? Oh well :lol
Why must it continue? Because you replied to my post, probably. :)

It is nice at least that I managed to come up with a decent explanation for who the white-haired girl in the dream might be...

No, no, no, no, no. What nonsense is this? I never made such a list. I demand immunity.
You can't deny the truth...

It never moved by itself in Episode 12. The only incident of this happening according to Chifuyu-nee and Tabane's conversation was when Tabane lured Ichika into a room with an IS and Tabane supposedly made the IS move as though Ichika himself was controlling it. However, she also suggests how it wasn't the first time that very IS moved by itself and how she doesn't know how "it" - Byakushiki - operates either. She also implies that the IS Ichika moved during the exam was Byakushiki, who moved itself, not Tabane. That's what I've concluded anyway.
Hmm...
No, I thought it was perhaps implying that whatever IS it was he used in the test, she made it move that time, but then later he was given Byakushiki after going to the academy? Perhaps that one he used in the test was supposed to be Byakushiki, but I'm not so sure...

(Plus, he managed to beat the trainers in the test, off camera... considering how often he failed during the series, until his comeback at the ending, maybe the reason he won then was that he wasn't really doing it?)

Overall though, it could be that she rigged the test, and then afterwards gave him Byakushiki, or it could be that he used Byakushiki from the beginning. I'm not sure which it is. Both explanations have some problems. I expect them from this series -- entirely consistent, logical explanations for anything would be entirely out of keeping with the way IS (the series) operates, of course. I mean, she HAS to have known something about Byakushiki, otherwise she wouldn't have set the whole thing off like she apparently did. I certainly find her denial suspicious. If she had anything to do with him going to the IS academy, as it seems she did, she has to have known that he'd be able to use it in whatever way he does... or else, as I suggested, he was just picked because he's Chifuyu's brother.

Oh dear God, I didn't think of that.
Byakushiki is part of the harem confirmed.
I only thought of it while writing that post, not while watching the episode, but it fits so well that it's my top guess about who that girl is, now...
white haired girl probably is Byakushiki. If she's not, then my second guess would be on a so-far-unrevealed younger sister.

Actually, his relationship with his sister reinforces he's extra special because the White Knight, who's probably Chifuyu-nee, might have been wearing donning Byakushiki when the missile crisis happened. The same special IS Chifuyu-nee wore as a White Knight could have been the IS given to Ichika before it formatted during his battle with Cecilia. He has the potential to surpass his sister! Oh brother. The story might just do that.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. I imagine that
either Byakushiki is the White Knight, or it's a redesigned/improved version of it. It's got to be one or the other. And on the last point, yes, I expect that that's the direction they'd go in ("he has the potential to surpass his sister"). This is shonen after all, and he's the main hero. Lame but cliche, and IS is nothing if not built on a mishmash of cliches.

Yep. It's inconsistent to say the least. It's probably why you didn't respond to my Episode 11 response either :lol
I probably just lost track of the post. If you link it I'd consider replying... if you really want to keep talking about this show... (maybe you shouldn't. :))

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
I'm sure they each have their own circumstances which will be delved further into later on. Painting them all with the same brush like that doesn't seem fair, imo.
Asian stoicism. I mean, she's basically the grandmother from Summer Wars.

Joule said:
The cast of HidaSketch don't spend enough time being artsy fartsy : (
Art school is just the excuse for slice of life moments though!

In the same way that Working! and presumably Hanasaku isn't actually about the service industry.

Nichijou
Seems like I pegged this show right. Occasional moments of amusements surrounded by a sea of dull ones. I'll probably stick with it because the production values are great and maybe it'll get funnier later.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So it turns out that Rightstuf has the same boxset for Kurau: Phantom Memory at the same price, and they give you a tracking number unlike Crunchyroll (who give an estimated date of 2-4 weeks at that)

Oops. Can't cancel either. >:|

Instro

firehawk12 said:
Asian stoicism. I mean, she's basically the grandmother from Summer Wars.

In the same way that Working! and presumably Hanasaku isn't actually about the service industry.

Really? I dont recall the grandmother from Summer Wars being that mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Instro said:
Really? I dont recall the grandmother from Summer Wars being that mean.
Naw, but then you have movie pacing vs TV pacing. I'm sure the grandmother will turn out to be nice in the end and we're taught that family is important yadayadayada. It's the same Asian matriarchal archetype though.

Lain

Branduil said:
It's certainly true they have flaws that aren't instantly fetishized, but that's part of what makes the writing good. Obviously you still need sympathetic characters, but I felt they did a good job doing that with Ohana.
Well, I'm not disagreeing about the writing being good. Just that I couldn't like the way those characters acted (mother dumping her daughter like that, friend acting almost as if it was Ohana's fault she was going away, grandmother acting as if she's just useless waste, etc, those kind of things), because it is a based upon a way of thinking I don't like. Then again, I felt their actions at the start were supposed to be dislikable and make those characters a bit disliked in return, which worked pretty well, which is way I consider the first episode good.
Also, the end was good as it made Ohana's a bit more likable (initially she seemed to me a litle bit too passively positive).

I just hope going forward everything is built upon well enough, because the first episode was enjoyable.

Lafiel said:
I actually like every character I've seen in the show so far, even the mother and grandmother, the former I'm hoping appears more in the series later on!
I like that they gave me strong enough emotions to make me dislike them. I think it was good that I didn't like them, as foolish as it can sound, because I'm sure I'll like them once they start to be developed (at least I hope I will).

trejo said:
I'm sure of that as well, and yeah maybe I wasn't being fair, but I had just finished watching and the tri-slap + pic of happy mother + go die once again left a strong impression.

Joule

firehawk12 said:

Yeah I know, I'm just fiending for GA. These sorts of shows could certainly stand to do just a little more with their gimmick/premise though.

Wardrobe Dwellers: Heartwarming fun. I wish I had a wardrobe with little guys that helped me out like that. 3 for 3 on this Young Animators Training Project. Good stuff. I also applaud more Noto not being typecasted.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
Yeah I know, I'm just fiending for GA. These sorts of shows could certainly stand to do just a little more with their gimmick/premise though.

Wardrobe Dwellers: Heartwarming fun. I wish I had a wardrobe with little guys that helped me out like that. 3 for 3 on this Young Animators Training Project. Good stuff. I also applaud more Noto not being typecasted.
I hope the Peter Drucker anime is like that.

And what happened to the one about the carrots?

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
Oh god where's Geneijin? We need a GIF for Isaac in episode 18 stat.
0O6yf.gif

OkCgM.gif

wa2Jf.gif

Jex

Lafiel said:
Hanasaku Iroha 1 - Wow, this is easily my favorite show of the season. The characters were charming, the little bits of humor were well-done, it was well-directed, the down-to-earth slice of life setting was neat, and the production values were pretty damn impressive in addition, ultimately it feels like the first anime show I've seen in a while that really resonates with all my personal tastes, can't wait to see more.:)

Edit - I'd say my only concern right now at this point, is it could turn into a another Canaan (which had a great opening) however since this show didn't have the stupid humor and dumb anime hi-jinks of the former, there's a lot of potential here.:eek:
I just hope he keeps directing some of the episodes, because he's damn good at it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Right, it's about eating cake and drinking tea. It drops the musical façade eventually, which is a blessing in disguise because no one really wants to hear Yui's chipmunk singing.

Anyways, Beck is more satisfying in its portrayal of learning and playing actual music as well as the camraderie and tension that comes with working creatively with other headstrong personalities - the 'band experience,' if you will, which was the central point around which the show added interesting characters, generic romantic subplots, and that sort of thing. So it actually does feel like it's built around music, for what that's worth.
I haven't seen Beck, so I can't speak on that. I just wanted to point out that judging K-On! for not being about the music is like saying CoD is not as realistic as ARMA2.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Slice-of-life shows, at least the ones we tend to refer to under that moniker, are all considered comedies.
What? No. If that was true we'd call them comedies.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
I just hope he keeps directing some of the episodes, because he's damn good at it.

Since it's unrealistic that he will direct every single episode, I hope that he has a better handle on his overall staff this time round, enabling them to follow his lead without messing up the quality.

Lain said:
Well, I'm not disagreeing about the writing being good. Just that I couldn't like the way those characters acted (mother dumping her daughter like that, friend acting almost as if it was Ohana's fault she was going away, grandmother acting as if she's just useless waste, etc, those kind of things), because it is a based upon a way of thinking I don't like. Then again, I felt their actions at the start were supposed to be dislikable and make those characters a bit disliked in return, which worked pretty well, which is way I consider the first episode good.
Also, the end was good as it made Ohana's a bit more likable (initially she seemed to me a litle bit too passively positive).

I just hope going forward everything is built upon well enough, because the first episode was enjoyable.

I like that they gave me strong enough emotions to make me dislike them. I think it was good that I didn't like them, as foolish as it can sound, because I'm sure I'll like them once they start to be developed (at least I hope I will).

I'm sure of that as well, and yeah maybe I wasn't being fair, but I had just finished watching and the tri-slap + pic of happy mother + go die once again left a strong impression.

I can see why you would be pissed (their behavior is horseshit imo)but it was interesting since it basically took her out of her usual comfort zone and she now has to deal with all of this.

Jex

duckroll said:
Not really. If you take the literal meaning, sure, but that's like saying every single game is a RPG because you are generally playing a role in the game. The slice of life genre is a lot more specific in that such a story is generally a more detached character study driven narrative which aims to follow a specific type of lifestyle defined by whatever the setting is, and is generally leisurely and character-driven with no larger dramatic storyline, no specific end goals, and no real plot twists.
Which seems to suggest that Hanasuka Iroha a drama, rather than a slice-of-life as some people have been claiming..

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Which seems to suggest that Hanasuka Iroha a drama, rather than a slice-of-life as some people have been claiming..

I think that depends on where the narrative goes honestly. Because as of ep1, there really isn't an end goal or anything. If it remains the way it is, it would basically be a slice of life about a new girl learning the ropes of working in a Japanese inn. If a more concrete arching storyline builds up, then yes it would be a drama.

Instro

firehawk12 said:
Naw, but then you have movie pacing vs TV pacing. I'm sure the grandmother will turn out to be nice in the end and we're taught that family is important yadayadayada. It's the same Asian matriarchal archetype though.

I see what you are saying. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I dunno, I think if you are going to give direction a definition at all it should be how the elements are put together to forward the whole work, rather than hey, all of these completely disparate elements are good. So good direction would be good lighting/editing/sound design/whatever put to some kind of synergistic purpose. Are these good elements put together for any particular reason (to carry a theme, plot point, moment of character development, etc.) or are they just good separately? Because if it's the latter, I don't really think that describes good 'direction' at all. And writing kind of inseparably underlies all of this, because direction gives life to what's contained in the script and can't exist without it (usually).
Hmm. If a movie is well made, all those things are good. They aren't disparate elements, they are unified by a vision.

A good script, or any script at all isn't necessary because film is a visual language that can tell a story with images alone.
duckroll said:
No, no. You got it all wrong. Star Driver is about Takuto x Sugata. Nothing else!
And lots of heavy breathing?
icarus-daedelus said:
Beaten like a motherfucker, and in fewer words to boot.
But no-one would ever claim that direction could do such a thing.

Branduil

Takato x Sugata has absolutely nothing on Cleo x Vetti. Or Vetti x anybody.

Jexhius said:
But no-one would ever claim that direction could do such a thing.

7th would probably say it about animation though.

jman2050

"How are you so good at fighting?"

"...The wind flows..."

"How could you have possibly known that we were about to be attacked?"

"...The wind told me..."

"How did you realize I was sneaking up on you?"

"...The wind's scent changes..."

Oh Cleo.

Jex

7Th said:
It's by the staff of Toradora, tho! The director, the writer and the character designer are all in! GAF should be all over it!
Oh dear lord.
Nonoriri said:
DRINK PEPSI.
I love it.
NeonZ said:
I haven't watched that movie yet, but every previous remake movie from Sunrise reused scenes from the original tv show. Even when the tv show was made 20 years before the movie.
It's their hard-working trademark.

jman2050 said:
"How are you so good at fighting?"

"...The wind flows..."

"How could you have possibly known that we were about to be attacked?"

"...The wind told me..."

"How did you realize I was sneaking up on you?"

"...The wind's scent changes..."

Oh Cleo.

so he/she farted then?

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
We've got another computer in the house, so it's not too dire, really. 'twas getting kind of old anyway, and I sort of needed an impetus to replace it.
Well, I do like it when life makes my decisions for me.
Jexhius said:
Well, it would make the show somewhat less dull.
I believe watching two socially awkward people like Sawako and Kazehaya have sex would be the most cringeworthy scene one could ever see, just, no, it'd be way too awkward.
A Black Falcon said:
I'd be more annoyed about people reading our long posts about shows that are actually decent, but IS talk... yeah, that I can completely understand skipping. :)
Eh, have we ever discussed a good show before?
A Black Falcon said:
That's not true, Edo Japan had underwear... it's just that only men wore them and not women. Of course though the women did all have ankle-length kimonos.
But I was talking about panties.
A Black Falcon said:
I called it good because it is good. :) As for the latter show, haven't seen it.
El Cazador is really bad, no question, them making the little girl go into heat or whatnot every time she uses her powers doesn't help either. The bounty hunter girl was alright though.
A Black Falcon said:
Is being in this Monocle Brigade a good thing? I don't quite get what qualities get people ranked higher in that list.
Well being an ass about shit gets you up there, I suppose that's why I was listed, because I hate everything, but Jexhius breaks shit down, you'd be way up there if you made long posts about good shit.
A Black Falcon said:
But it wouldn't have been the same show, it wouldn't have been a similar character, and one of the main reasons why the whole thing exists wouldn't be there... and anyway, the other members of the club are not better characters than Haruhi.
How true, I guess that's all that can be said about any gripe, but my way would still be better.
A Black Falcon said:
As far as Last Exile goes, almost nothing you say about the show in this paragraph is true. (I can't say anything about Glass Fleet, haven't seen it and I'm not planning to watch it at the moment) I know we argued about this before, but Last Exile has good characters, a good story, good music, good world and art design, and good visuals and CG. It has some flaws, sure, but the strengths are so much greater... as for how another animation studio would have done with it though, I have no idea. Considering how good it was I certainly wouldn't think that "almost anyone else" would do a better job.
Oh everything really was sub par in Last Exile, including the characters. Like take Alex, probably the coolest cat around right, he's doing this because Queen bitch laughed at he and his friends struggle. That's it. She didn't kill anyone or do anything at that point she was just watching and laughing. Now yeah she was a bitch so sure I wouldn't be her friend either but it's not like she caused any of those events in the past. Then you have the original mission that the kids parents were on that was just scrapped, how fucking idiotic. They couldn't try again? Obviously people can cross it somehow or else there'd be no war but what does this viewer know, right? Nope, no second attempt at peace because then there'd be no show. You never find out how the Last Exile girl gets taken in by the human side, how she escaped from Guild or even what she is. Whatever. All the Guild people AND Alex are like supermen, why Alex, why the guild people? Who knows? What the fuck is with the ending? Who knows? Basically every motivation and backstory was so poor it ruined each character, the music was ok and the world was an interesting concept, that's all the show had going for it.
A Black Falcon said:
True. But, it didn't end with a complete "no winner", Houki was suggested to maybe have an edge, but that relationship, as I said, came out of absolutely nowhere. Apparently nothing that happened in the first ten episodes mattered at all, as far as that goes. I wouldn't agree that that's normal for the genre, though. Sometimes, but not always. IS is worse than average, I wouldn't quite use it as a typical example...

And you know, their efforts weren't in vain. Finally one of them managed to actually get him to react. It just would have made so much more sense if there'd been anything from episodes... oh, like three or four to 10... suggesting anything significant between those two characters... but this is IS, logic, sense, and competent writing (even for its genre) do not apply.
So do you agree with me or not? You can't say their actions both are and are not meaningless in basically the same breath.
A Black Falcon said:
Oh right, that part... yeah, the idea that she'd been the one who got that robot to go rogue was something you'd guessed at wasn't it, and it turned out to be true.
You should listen to me more!
A Black Falcon said:
-So in mid-episode the girls are just Ichika's nakama (he says so to the spirit person in his unconcious dreamworld), but in the end he admits that he likes Houki? I guess her straight question finally broke down his denial...
Huh? Don't listen to One Piece fans much do you, nakama is like the God Tier of friends man. Frankly, I think that part makes sense though, it's not just Houki or his haremites he wants to protect but his sister and all that, the word fit since it's kinda all encompassing, it would have made less sense if he said "lovers." Not really a scene I'd nitpick to be honest.

As for Houki, ehh, might just been going with the moment, maybe he loves her, maybe he loves them all, who knows, who cares?
A Black Falcon said:
-On that note, are the two girls in the unconscious dreamworld both his sister, or not? The one in the IS looks like her, but what about the younger one with white-ish hair?
Not sure who the first one is but I'd imagine the second one is his IS as you guys have later hypothesized. At the very start I did imagine that the IS's core was actually the spirit of some warrior girl and is why they're in short supply, this fits in line with my old theory,
A Black Falcon said:
As for the part where his sister and the inventor woman talk, part of that was kind of confusing...
So, his IS healed him somehow, from the brink of death. Okay. Apparently the one she used to save Japan with in the past had a similar function. And yeah, she set off the robot because in addition to being a mechanical genius she's also a super-hacker, and wanted to show off the powers of the new IS. Um, alright, though it's Ichika who stopped it, not Houki...

What I don't quite get is his sister's not-so-"hypothetical" about how apparently she rigged the scenario where Ichika controlled that IS, so that he'd get sent to the academy even though he actually couldn't control the IS. Ah, but he has an IS and can control it, I don't get it... unless Byakushiki is a special IS just for him or for men or something that she designed? I mean, that she's actually doing everything he seems to be when controlling his IS through the entire series seems unlikely. And yeah, she then responds by saying 'but then it'd only work that one time only' and that she doesn't understand how that IS works. The latter part is obviously false, she designed and built it after all. But what is true? They don't say, the topic is dropped there.
My guess is Ichika can control the IS because of his immense compassion for everyone. Yeah, I think it's going to be that cheesy. That the IS's are all created with the spirit of a female and usually only females can operate them because they love and feel more compassion but Ichika is like a fountain of love and compassion and Tabane met him once a long time ago and recognized this and figured he could pull it off.

I also figure that she can handle the mechanical part of it just fine but that she doesn't get the more magic or spiritual side of them and is working sorta blindfolded, although I'm sure she also has her theories.
A Black Falcon said:
And on that note, the second "scenario", "set off the robot IS to show off Houki's new IS", is as I said also a little odd because well it's Ichika who stops it, all Houki does is fight it and then recharge his power so he could deal the final blow... I guess that sort of works, she did fight it. The first one above's the one that's harder to understand.
I think she's planning ahead a wee bit further than that, her sister was integral in attacking it while not being the true star but I think what she mostly wanted was the girls working together and rallying around Ichika. In generic shonen style the machines respond to the user's desire to protect and love and evolve, I think she's actually more worried about speeding up that process to get them to combat speed than she is actually on having her little sister have a sweet debut.

Essentially I think Tabane knows the most, I doubt she was just fiddling around at home and designed a fucking robot with some kind of soul that could evolve on her own, what she discovered may be related to what she actually was trying to do, maybe she really did want to make a robot, but a robot with a conscious that can only be piloted by females? Nah, that part was something she stumbled upon or was given to her, she has a better picture of what's happening and is trying to get all the players in place for the final big game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys are going through Glass Fleet WAY too fast, I'm still trying to finish Scrapped Princess, been OK so far but I'm looking forward to that classic Bones ending.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I think that depends on where the narrative goes honestly. Because as of ep1, there really isn't an end goal or anything. If it remains the way it is, it would basically be a slice of life about a new girl learning the ropes of working in a Japanese inn. If a more concrete arching storyline builds up, then yes it would be a drama.
Well, undoubtedly there will be some family drama, but it can be a slice of life first with some greater themes. I would say that the heavy monologue would point to something more dramatic, but then again, Aria relied on monologues. :lol

Instro said:
I see what you are saying. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Yep, but I'm 99% sure that it's going to go that way. Stoic older women either are like the grandmothers who give out candy, or they end up learning some lesson and I don't think this is that kind of anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom