• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

"Promise me, when this is over... please stay with me"

"heh, I'll try. But the wind is impulsive."

"Then I will become the wind as well."

*tears hair out*

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
I've been watching Infinite Ryvius lately, which is pretty decent and ostensibly space anime, but it's just not the same when they're not waxing eloquent about the stars and shit. Not enough intergalactic politics, maybe. I've been pining for some good old space opera animu, and was thinking about maybe doing another run through of Crest/Banner or LOGH just to try fill that hole, and to see how they'd hold up to second viewings.
You haven't seen Super Dimensional fortress macross right? you could always give that a view, it's probably one of the best examples of space opera anime even with the j-pop and all. (it's no-where near as good as the shows you listed though.:)

And a friend was telling me about irresistible captain tylor today, although that is a comedy series.

Hanasaku Iroha
Wow that was a really great first episode. Hope it keeps the quality throughout the season. This is shaping up to be one of the best season in years.

Rektash

vectorman06 said:
Steins Gate Ep 1

What the hell did I just watch? So confused...

Well I haven't watched Steins Gate but since it is from the same writer as Chaos Head be prepared to be confused for quite a bit.

I don't plan to watch it either btw, I'll play the vn one day though. After having played the Chaos Head vn I watched the anime adaption and I see no reason to watch Steins Gate.
It will probably be a horrible vn adaption just like Chaos Head was.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I've been watching Infinite Ryvius lately, which is pretty decent and ostensibly space anime, but it's just not the same when they're not waxing eloquent about the stars and shit. Not enough intergalactic politics, maybe. I've been pining for some good old space opera animu, and was thinking about maybe doing another run through of Crest/Banner or LOGH just to try fill that hole, and to see how they'd hold up to second viewings.
I started Infinite Ryvius last week as well but am only on episode 3, it just isn't really clicking for me. And I think I've seen you gripe on it but the music is just really bad and out of place.
icarus-daedelus said:
And then I remembered Glass Fleet exists, but if that's enjoyable at all, it's as a comedy.
I've convinced myself that everyone is watching it just to guilt me into watching it but I know the world doesn't really revolve around me, still dreading completing Glass Fleet none the less.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Sebulon3k said:
I hope they don't attempt this, so many shows attempt this and it gets done extremely poorly, it really only works if your taking an extremely realistic approach, and the triangle is the focus of the show, which I don't get the feeling that's the direction the show is going in. She's waiting on him to text him, and realizes the tension that it would cause if she messaged him, so possibly she's developing some type of romantic feelings for him after the confession ordeal, or she could just want to talk to her best friend *shrug*.

Having Ko hop on a train to come visit isn't a big deal, they will probably have her meet someone at school, at first be a bit apprehensive because of the situation with Ko, then get over it and embrace the dudes feelings.

I guess the other thing he could be in the show is some sort of life line when she's stressed out with her grandmother, because he mom sure doesn't seem like much help. We'd also need to find out just how far apart the two are. Is it as easy as a simple train visit away, or would it be a hike for him to go visit her? I don't think the show has spelled out how far she moved, besides it being far enough that she'd need to change schools. We'll see. It sounds like the show is more about Ohana getting used to her new life, so I'm having trouble seeing Ko playing a huge roll at this point.

jman2050

I'll leave it to you guys to guess on a scale of 1 to Mai Hime how LAWLtastic this ending was.

Closest answer wins
a gust of wind

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
I've convinced myself that everyone is watching it just to guilt me into watching it but I know the world doesn't really revolve around me, still dreading completing Glass Fleet none the less.
You shouldn't force yourself to. Although I'm surprised at the number of people that have attempted Episode 1 at least. I didn't expect jman to plow through it so quickly either. Must have been so much entertainment to be had.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Rektash said:
Well I haven't watched Steins Gate but since it is from the same writer as Chaos Head be prepared to be confused for quite a bit.

I don't plan to watch it either btw, I'll play the vn one day though. After having played the Chaos Head vn I watched the anime adaption and I see no reason to watch Steins Gate.
It will probably be a horrible vn adaption just like Chaos Head was.
Well so far it has gotten some positive feedback, but I haven't seen it yet. I've read a bit of the VN so I should be able to put this in perspective a bit.

jman2050

Geneijin said:
You shouldn't force yourself to. Although I'm surprised at the number of people that have attempted Episode 1 at least. I didn't expect jman to plow through it so quickly either. Must have been so much entertainment to be had.

I had nothing better to do.

Rektash

InfiniteNine said:
Well so far it has gotten some positive feedback, but I haven't seen it yet. I've read a bit of the VN so I should be able to put this in perspective a bit.

Input is very welcome. It won't change my plans to play the game first though :).

Dresden

Mr Nash said:
I guess the other thing he could be in the show is some sort of life line when she's stressed out with her grandmother, because he mom sure doesn't seem like much help. We'd also need to find out just how far apart the two are. Is it as easy as a simple train visit away, or would it be a hike for him to go visit her? I don't think the show has spelled out how far she moved, besides it being far enough that she'd need to change schools. We'll see. It sounds like the show is more about Ohana getting used to her new life, so I'm having trouble seeing Ko playing a huge roll at this point.
Which is a pity--I'm rooting for that guy. But he's been wallowing in the friendzone for so long, he'll never get out.

I do hope Ando fits in a kendo battle somewhere. :3

Tiger and Bunny 1:
Well, that was pretty good. There were a lot of really funny moments, but also some great sincere moments along the way. The first episode did a great job setting up the world and the characters, which I think is important. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Rektash

InfiniteNine said:
Pretty much why I bought the game recently! So wait if you wish.

Definitly waiting since I have quite a big vn backlog atm. Remember 11 still lying around unplayed and recently bought the DVD batch releases of Umineko. 999 is still unplayed too.
Too much I want to play and too little time because of university. I am in no rush though since Chaos Head is quite fresh in my mind, finished it about 1 year ago or something.

mAcOdIn - I'll reply to that post soon, but if you've been reading my and Geneijin's IS posts in the last few pages, what do you think of my theory that
the white-haired girl in Ichika's unconcious dream might be the "spirit" of Byakushiki, his IS?

Geneijin said:
Actually, you're correct about Tabane making the IS at Ichika's exam move. My mistake. But I still think the IS at Ichika's exam was probably Byakushiki. It would help explain how Ichika beat an instructor, which I forgot about it, and it could be one of the other times Tabane was referring to when Byakushiki moved on its own.
Perhaps so. Is there actually a clear time when Byakushiki moved on its own in the series, though, or is it just a reference to something new we didn't know about? Oh well... in this series who knows.

The very first IS could have been based off of Byakushiki and Chifuyu-nee. The White Knight incident was before the introduction of the IS, isn't it? Since Tabane controls how many cores are distributed around the world, it could also explain why Laura's IS transformation mimicked Chifuyu-nee's sword techniques unless it was some secret German project to copy Chifuyu-nee. Plot in IS is confusing!
As far as plot goes, I think that one of the two following things is true:
1) IS has awful writers. They're trying to make a show that makes sense and has a consistent plot, and planned things out ahead of time, but they consistently fail because of how bad they are.
2) IS's writers just don't care and are making up stuff as they go along.

It could be either of these really. And I know that it's based off of a light novel series, but I don't know how good those are, so depending on that this could apply to the novel's writer (if the anime is just like them) or the anime's (if it's different).

As for a reply to that quote:
Laura's IS transformation is just like Chifuyu's? Either they did it to not have to make a new animation, or yeah it has something to do with Tabane, the cores, etc.

Also, so if it's the basis of IS, then where does Byakushiki come from? Did Tabane invent it but she doesn't know what she invented, or are you implying that it's some alien artifact or something...

It's just funny how we're going on about it even though it finished.
Just another mark of its great quality! But seriously, perhaps because it's often easier to criticize than praise? I don't know why really, you people just want to talk about it. The worse the show, the more people want to discuss it? I mean, in 2010-11 action harem shows, quality and volume of discussion seem to have a somewhat inverse relationship...

(better, in comparison to the other shows on this list)
Daimao
Samurai Girls
Infinite Stratos
(more talked about)

Koihime Musou would go on top of that list (above Daimao) if it counted, because it's based off of a harem h-game, but the male main character guy isn't in the anime, so it sort of doesn't.

Mai-Hime 5

Starting to see glimpses of when things apparently get bad. And once again, the Madoka comparisons pop up, albeit much lighter. Being Hime is indeed suffering.

iavi

Iroha 01

That was incredibly solid, Jesus. The writing was so on point, even though I find it kind of funny how they used her writer–mother as a method to justify her almost novelesque speech mannerisms. Growing up in such the environment rubbed off on her, haha.
Production was almost awing at points, and the direction failed to falter.
Show of the season, so far.

And Crunchyroll has earned a subscription. Not only is their catalog on point this season, their mobile app works beautifully. I just watched this whole EP while out, and it never fcked once. A few more features would be nice though.

Typing on a phone bites...though, Gingerbread has made it much nicer.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 9

Opening monologue could be referencing watching this show.

smile.jpg

Awesome photograph.

costumes.jpg

The costume designer really should win some kind of award.

Vetti faceplanting into the roses would make another awesome gif.

So Vetti finally reveals his true goal... and it's even stupider than I imagined.

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
That black cross design makes it look like the head and body aren't even connected.
It represents the disconnect between the intellectually recognized ideals of the black cross religion and the physically manifested cruelties it is helping to inflict.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Perhaps so. Is there actually a clear time when Byakushiki moved on its own in the series, though, or is it just a reference to something new we didn't know about? Oh well... in this series who knows.
The possibility of Byakushiki being autonomous never existed until whoever wrote the script shoehorned it into Episode 12.

What do you mean by the latter question?

As far as plot goes, I think that one of the two following things is true:
1) IS has awful writers. They're trying to make a show that makes sense and has a consistent plot, and planned things out ahead of time, but they consistently fail because of how bad they are.
2) IS's writers just don't care and are making up stuff as they go along.

It could be either of these really. And I know that it's based off of a light novel series, but I don't know how good those are, so depending on that this could apply to the novel's writer (if the anime is just like them) or the anime's (if it's different).
I say both. They're awful. If you do reply to my Episode 11 response to your Episode 11 comments, you'll see why. Episode 11 is their magnum opus of awfulness. It's easier to use that as a reference point. And they don't care. I wouldn't say they were making stuff up. The narrative lacked a sense of cohesive throughout, failing to connect anything. I'm all for wish-fulfillment, but there are better bad animes out there that have done better.

Laura's IS transformation is just like Chifuyu's? Either they did it to not have to make a new animation, or yeah it has something to do with Tabane, the cores, etc.

Also, so if it's the basis of IS, then where does Byakushiki come from? Did Tabane invent it but she doesn't know what she invented, or are you implying that it's some alien artifact or something...
Remember when Laura's IS mutated during the team battle? I'm talking about that incident, and also, when Ichika yelled at Laura's mutated IS for stealing Chifuyu-nee's sword techniques. Not how her transformation or formatting was similar to Chifuyu-nee's.

As for Byakushiki, I'm thinking it could be the very first IS created by Tabane, and the IS cores were based off of Byakushiki's. Only reason I'm questioning Laura's mutated IS is because now Tabane is a hacking genius and an ingenious scientist who hacked an unmanned drone from some government base in the last few episodes, so her little sister and Ichika could show-off. Unless IS wants to spin and play a Germany conspiracy card and relate Ichika's kidnapping to tricking Chifuyu-nee to letting them borrow her for a year, so they could secretly gather data upon her to create the best IS.

I really don't know where I'm going with either of these speculations.

Just another mark of its great quality! But seriously, perhaps because it's often easier to criticize than praise? I don't know why really, you people just want to talk about it. The worse the show, the more people want to discuss it? I mean, in 2010-11 action harem shows, quality and volume of discussion seem to have a somewhat inverse relationship...
Yeah, it's easier criticize. No doubt about it. I actually don't mind the talk too much. It was aimed to stir up last season's reaction on IS being talked so much.

Some of my most favorite animes feel flawless because I don't know how to praise them. And some of them are easier to highlight bad things about them that I've noticed despite liking them as much as I do.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well the first episode of Steins;Gate blew threw the beginning of the game pretty damn quickly. I guess they are trying to get the groundwork for the story set up quickly. I liked that they copied the camera angle for Alpcaman from the VN.
p8CSs.png

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
Oh you can't even begin to imagine how much worse this gets.
Answer me this
Does the unification of all territorial ships recreate the ancient technology mentioned in Episode 9?
I'm getting that impression it'll happen.

I'm still on 18.

jman2050

Geneijin said:
Answer me this
Does the unification of all territorial ships recreate the ancient technology mentioned in Episode 9?
I'm getting that impression it'll happen.

I'm still on 18.

No it's actually quite a few steps stupider than that. Your explanation actually makes sense, to start.

Geneijin

jman2050 said:
No it's actually quite a few steps stupider than that. Your explanation actually makes sense, to start.
The hell? I can't predict this at all then. Now I actually don't want to be spoiled.

Branduil said:
Vetti faceplanting into the roses would make another awesome gif.
hjvKJ.gif

Oh Ralph.

Rektash

jman2050 said:
I'll leave it to you guys to guess on a scale of 1 to Mai Hime how LAWLtastic this ending was.

Just finished Mai Hime ~ and what a rollercoaster ride the end was. I don't really want to dwell on the weaknesses of the show because they are quite apparent. All in all I enjoyd this anime quite a bit. Loved the diverse cast of personalities and wasn't annoyed be the teenage angst factor. Through and through solid show.

The "prolog" after the final battle was hilarious in many different ways and was probably the best thing in the last two episodes, which by themselves have been relativly weak.

Would watch again.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 1 - Started watching this, just now. All i can say after 1 episode is this taiga girl is a real psychopath, if i ever met a girl like that irl, i wouldn't even go near her, i mean come on she tries to kill the main character with a wooden sword!

Overall - it seems amusing enough, but I'd haft to admit if it wasn't for the overall popularity of the series here and the number of people who are bugging me to watch it, i probably wouldn't even bother with it past the first episode, but i will watch the whole thing.:)

mAcOdIn said:
But I was talking about panties.
Elastic didn't exist before the later 1800s. No modern-style underwear without it. You need stretchy rubber products to get elastic, and even that wasn't discovered (to make tires, etc.) until the 1840s.

El Cazador is really bad, no question, them making the little girl go into heat or whatnot every time she uses her powers doesn't help either. The bounty hunter girl was alright though.
El Cazador was good. It's not as good as Noir, sure, but it's good. Noir definitely is the best of their three "girls with guns" shows, and the only one of the three I'd consider calling a great show, but El Cazador's in a solid second. Madlax of course I didn't like as much.

Well being an ass about shit gets you up there, I suppose that's why I was listed, because I hate everything, but Jexhius breaks shit down, you'd be way up there if you made long posts about good shit.
Hey, I write about shows I consider good as often as ones I don't, probably... it's not my fault if it's the ones I don't that get most of the replies. (Or if other people's tastes differ on what they consider good.)

Like, for shows so far this year I've written posts about IS (horrible but amusing in how bad it is), Rio (bad, fanservice-centric), Oniichan no koto... (horrible but often funny), and Gosick (decent to good show, depending on the episode. More often good than not. I like it). So one good one, but nobody wants to talk about that show since they dismissed it for having "not mysterious enough mysteries". Oh well.

Of course though, we also discussed Escaflowne, which I at least think is great, and I wrote some about The Twelve Kingdoms too, did you forget that one? And I mentioned a few others too, here and there. I finished (and posted about) Speed Grapher and Pani Poni Dash in January, I thought both were pretty good and I believe you disagreed like usual. I rewatched and made some posts about Angelic Layer, which I still like for sure. I watched/wrote about my opinions on a couple of movies too, including Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society (quite good but confusing as always from the franchise) and The Sky Crawlers (unique, perhaps, and well made, but so boring...). Etc.

I guess I just don't hate enough shows, though there certainly are some I do, and don't use screencaps to get attention to things either.

How true, I guess that's all that can be said about any gripe, but my way would still be better.
No, it'd probably be less interesting that way. And did you really not disagree with my statement that the rest of the club members aren't any better than Haruhi, or did you just drop that point? (I'm guessing the latter)

So do you agree with me or not? You can't say their actions both are and are not meaningless in basically the same breath.
But both are partially true. It's mostly meaningless, but not entirely.
You should listen to me more!
As my list above shows, your opinions on which shows are bad are often wrong. :) But as for things like that, sure, perhaps. You got the "ISes are actually spirits or something" thing too, apparently.

Huh? Don't listen to One Piece fans much do you, nakama is like the God Tier of friends man. Frankly, I think that part makes sense though, it's not just Houki or his haremites he wants to protect but his sister and all that, the word fit since it's kinda all encompassing, it would have made less sense if he said "lovers." Not really a scene I'd nitpick to be honest.
One Piece aside, I just thought the fact that he went from calling them "my friends" to admitting he liked one showed a bit of character development, for pretty much the first time... of course it's in a traditional, very cliche harem-show interrupted scene, but it probably was better than going to the end with him maintaining his "they're just friends" thing to the end. It just needed more character building in between, as I said. It's a pretty basic thing, that IS failed at even that is kind of amusing. :)

As for Houki, ehh, might just been going with the moment, maybe he loves her, maybe he loves them all, who knows, who cares?
Considering that if it continues it'll just keep going nowhere most of the time it doesn't really matter, and it was predictable that he'd end up with her on the "first girl" basis, but come on, IS is uncommonly bad at giving any kind of consistency between its episodes. I think that the way they did it does make the plot even stupider.

As for whether he loves all of them, he's the ultra-caring protagonist guy, so he's got to, right? But he knew Houki first so he loves her a little more than the others, maybe. (repeat "what in the world anime, why do you care so much about childhood friends" criticism here)

Not sure who the first one is but I'd imagine the second one is his IS as you guys have later hypothesized. At the very start I did imagine that the IS's core was actually the spirit of some warrior girl and is why they're in short supply, this fits in line with my old theory,
Wow, you managed to guess it so early? Impressive, perhaps... I didn't. And yes, I agree with you, as I said.

My guess is Ichika can control the IS because of his immense compassion for everyone. Yeah, I think it's going to be that cheesy. That the IS's are all created with the spirit of a female and usually only females can operate them because they love and feel more compassion but Ichika is like a fountain of love and compassion and Tabane met him once a long time ago and recognized this and figured he could pull it off.
[/quote]
Ugh, sounds horrible and cheesy enough to maybe be on the right track.

I also figure that she can handle the mechanical part of it just fine but that she doesn't get the more magic or spiritual side of them and is working sorta blindfolded, although I'm sure she also has her theories.
Perhaps, if something alien or magic-like or spiritual is involved... I'm not sure she was telling the truth there though, her statements were evasive. If she is telling the truth, then yeah, it could well be that.

I think she's planning ahead a wee bit further than that, her sister was integral in attacking it while not being the true star but I think what she mostly wanted was the girls working together and rallying around Ichika. In generic shonen style the machines respond to the user's desire to protect and love and evolve, I think she's actually more worried about speeding up that process to get them to combat speed than she is actually on having her little sister have a sweet debut.
Quite possible, that'd fit the genre well for sure. I'm not sure if it'd admit it though, that stuff is sometimes left unstated, as the actual reasons behind why it's happening while the show pretends that no, of course we have story-based reasons, like IS's in that conversation... while of course you're right, it's much more likely that they're just excuses for why the conventions are going to be followed.

Essentially I think Tabane knows the most, I doubt she was just fiddling around at home and designed a fucking robot with some kind of soul that could evolve on her own, what she discovered may be related to what she actually was trying to do, maybe she really did want to make a robot, but a robot with a conscious that can only be piloted by females? Nah, that part was something she stumbled upon or was given to her, she has a better picture of what's happening and is trying to get all the players in place for the final big game.
Yeah, that is probably true.

Rektash

Lafiel said:
Toradora 1 - Started watching this, just now. All i can say after 1 episode is this taiga girl is a real psychopath, if i ever met a girl like that irl, i wouldn't even go near her, i mean come on she tries to kill the main character with a wooden sword!

Overall - it seems amusing enough, but I'd haft to admit if it wasn't for the overall popularity of the series here and the number of people who are bugging me to watch it, i probably wouldn't even bother with it past the first episode, but i will watch the whole thing.:)

Keep going on, Toradora is pretty much as good as the general tsundere romance gets. Personally I liked it most for the characters, some really great exectued scenes and awesome seiyuu work. The comedy didn't really click for me except Inko-chan but then again my humor as most of my friends say plain sucks.

Soma

Hanasaku Iroha After seeing all the positive posts on it here I decided to check it out since I haven't much else to watch lately. It was surprisingly enjoyable. The animation was great and every character introduced so far has potential to be interesting. Definitely looking forward to seeing how everything continues.

Nichijou Had some really good moments. I'll most likely keep an eye on future episodes.

I'll probably be checking out Steins;'.,!*:?Gate (seriously what's up with that semi-colon?) in a bit.

Uchip

Banned
Rektash said:
Keep going on, Toradora is pretty much as good as the general tsundere romance gets. Personally I liked it most for the characters, some really great exectued scenes and awesome seiyuu work. The comedy didn't really click for me except Inko-chan but then again my humor as most of my friends say plain sucks.

no
toradora was just unfunny
as is most anime humour
your humor is probably fine

Bakatest Matsuri OVA 02 - Yeah, that wasn't very good at all. Painfully generic and bad at the better parts, just boring at the worse ones, there wasn't much here about what's good about the series... the idea of morons winning a primarily knowledge-based tournament through cheating is not something that I am going to like. Blatant cheating like that should get you disqualified... "they're going to reveal it, we need to stop them"? As if you didn't in several rounds, when you used stupid, underhanded measures out in public during battle to get your opponents to quit? Ugh. And as for the good fighting ability they have in this episode, I don't remember them having that before... there's a one line attempt to justify why they have it now, but it was lame. This episode was so bad, the plot completely fell apart but because it fits enough of the stereotypes they decided it was good enough anyway, I guess. I knew they were going to win but were rooting against them in every round.

As for jokes, I think I might have laughed once or twice... no more than that, though. It wasn't very funny. At the beginning I was hopeful it'd improve after it got to the main plot (it starts with an incest segment about how his sister loves him but is a bad cook), but it just went downhill from there...

Oh, and as I suggested above, it was incredibly predictable. Everything that happens could be guessed a mile away, there are no surprises. I'm sure some people are going to like this episode, but I didn't.

Last Exile (I just finished writing this part, so I decided to put it in a new post)
mAcOdIn said:
Oh everything really was sub par in Last Exile, including the characters. Like take Alex, probably the coolest cat around right, he's doing this because Queen bitch laughed at he and his friends struggle. That's it. She didn't kill anyone or do anything at that point she was just watching and laughing. Now yeah she was a bitch so sure I wouldn't be her friend either but it's not like she caused any of those events in the past. Then you have the original mission that the kids parents were on that was just scrapped, how fucking idiotic. They couldn't try again? Obviously people can cross it somehow or else there'd be no war but what does this viewer know, right? Nope, no second attempt at peace because then there'd be no show. You never find out how the Last Exile girl gets taken in by the human side, how she escaped from Guild or even what she is. Whatever. All the Guild people AND Alex are like supermen, why Alex, why the guild people? Who knows? What the fuck is with the ending? Who knows? Basically every motivation and backstory was so poor it ruined each character, the music was ok and the world was an interesting concept, that's all the show had going for it.
It's like your Escaflowne complaints, sort of, minor complaints about things that either are explained or aren't too important...

I mean, talking about Last Exile without even mentioning the great ship designs, the interesting and unique take on the world that the series has, the original world design, and more? Yes, I like the story and characters too, but the outstanding presentation and world design, and the solid CG work too for the flying and fight scenes, are some of the show's stronger points. The "flying ships in a world of sky" concept isn't often done nearly that well. And as a huge fan of Skies of Arcadia, I like such settings. :)

And on the note of the characters, the motivations for the countries were strong -- the world has very limited resources, people are fighting over what's there. Disith is facing environmental collapse, pushing them even harder to win. Anatoray is trying to resist them. The characters have fine motivations and backstories too, I thought. I have no complaints there that I can remember.

As for your plot criticisms though, first, on the point of the failed mission, the attempt was a miserable failure. Someone died, and they did not get through. Afterwards isn't it entirely reasonable to say 'it can't be done, you'll just fail and maybe die too'? I'd say that's an understandable reaction.

For how Alvis escaped the Guild, I forget if they explain how that happened or not, but what matters for the plot is that she did, not how. I've seen the series twice, and never cared about that point. And yeah, you don't really learn what exactly she is, except that she has some strange tie to Exile. I did wonder, but oh well, it works as it is.

As for the Guild, Alex hated her partially for what she'd said, but also because he knew enough about the Guild's system to know that he thought it was wrong and needed to be fought against, yes? And in the end he gets his revenge and the Guild is defeated, and the world has a chance to progress.

And as for the plot and the ending, yes it is confusing. However, you can make sense of it with time. The thing they are finding is the world-ship that brought people to this very strangely shaped planet (on that note I do wish the show had made it clearer in the show somewhere how odd the planet looks, to explain why you have to go through the sky to reach the other nation...). Once they activated it it'll release resources badly needed, I believe, or something like that; perhaps it instead takes them (and others) inside, where they travel to another world with more resources (the latter is the explanation Wikipedia goes for). Remember that the Guild's excuse for why they oppressed everyone was that because of the world's scarce resources the nations could not be allowed to advance beyond what the land could sustain. In addition to defeating the Guild, finding the Exile is vital for breaking that system. Despite its hard to understand nature, I like the ending; sure, it's not clear exactly where they went at the end, the villains were defeated, and at least we do know that the characters will be happier now and in the future and there won't be suffering and war over scarce resources. Maybe they'll fight over other things, but not that. And Mullen isn't dead either, the ending reveals that he survived somehow. So yeah, it was a decent if confusing ending for a pretty good show.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well going through Steins;Gate right now since the first episode pretty much covered everything I've read so far. Kurisu made a Back to the Future reference in her lecture! So awesome.
ik5XgY.JPG

Uchip

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Well going through Steins;Gate right now since the first episode pretty much covered everything I've read so far. Kurisu made a Back to the Future reference in her lecture! So awesome.

where is the 720p version?

Steroyd

Lafiel said:
Re-watched the first Hanasaku Iroha episode. (something i rarely do) and it's still as good as ever! ;_; it would be heartbreaking if this show ended up sucking, because everything feels so perfect to me.:)

And heh i think Chiaki Omigawa character (dat voice) is easily the most interesting one in the series so far, I'm kinda eager to see how she develops down the line.:)

Woah woah woah woah wait a minute, she's in this!?! How did I not notice this!?

*Checks up on this*

No wonder, her voice has been very low, and the sentences very short, me likes.

Steroyd

Tiger & Bunny 1

lulz at the product placement, it feels out of place but that's the point. :)

Dat CGI when has CGI ever looked good, come on.

Steins Gate 1

o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom