• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

trejo said:
Star Driver 25

And to think we were all so hyped for this at one point.
Hype-Crush Dreams-Hype-Crush Dreams

The Bones cycle of hope and despair.

Towa no Quon and the new FMA movie should be great though.

flawfuls

Steins;Gate

I don't have any experience with the VN so I don't know how this compares to that, but I liked it a lot. The writing is great, the pacing is good and the story seems very interesting. I also really like the main character. I can't really judge how looks because I couldn't see shit in that Niconico quality video, but all and all I was very impressed and I will definitely keep watching. Everyone else should probably wait for a higher resolution version though.

This season is shaping up to be really really good.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
Those movies are better than the tv series.

because that's less time watching Zeta lolololol
Sick burn.
Lafiel said:
Well i gotta give him some props for confessing in the first episode, that's gotta count for something!
Sure, when pushed my ridiculous circumstances!
icarus-daedelus said:
I keep trying to tie this back into K-On, and I come up empty. Other than moe feelings of cuteness, there is no mood or theme it touches upon, prior to mono no awares in the back half of season 2 of course. It tries to be funny and *occasionally* succeeds, but frequently it fails or produces little more than mild amusement, so it doesn't really work as a comedy. So what is the direction? That the cinematography, editing and sound design work together to make the girls look cute when they eat cake and drink tea? If someone
(InfiniteNine)
made a Steins;Gate OT, infi-kun would have nothing to post in this thread about. :(
Direction isn't just theme. It's the visual language of film arranging scenes and conveying messages. Even when it's not doing things in such a lofty manner it's affecting even the most basic of basic scenes where, yes, girls talk about stuff.

You don't need to chose a thematic episode to this. I could break down nearly any scene from nearly any episode and tell you how the direction is making that particular scene work.

Dresden

I'm pretty confident that Bones will reach greatness again.

flawfuls said:
I don't have any experience with the VN so I don't know how this compares to that, but I liked it a lot. The writing is great, the pacing is good and the story seems very interesting. I also really like the main character. I can't really judge how looks because I couldn't see shit in that Niconico quality video, but all and all I was very impressed and I will definitely keep watching. Everyone else should probably wait for a higher resolution version though.

This season is shaping up to be really really good.
Monstrous season if this continues. We still have (off the top of my head) Dororon Enma-Kun, [C], Ano Hana, Kaiji2, Gintama, Showa Monogatari, and probably more I'm forgetting...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:
They have a show next season, i have hope it will be a return to greatness (hopefully).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Sebulon3k said:
I rewatched Hanasaku Iroha, I hope Ko eventually mans up and messages her. Their is romance potential there.

I can't see it happening if only because they aren't in the same town anymore. My bet is she meets someone else at school, and then somehow Ko comes back into the mix for some love triangle thing.

jman2050

(in the most deadpan delivery ever) "Just for tonight, please accept me as a woman"

They even managed to mess up the gratuitous sex scene, this show really IS amazing.

Jex

Branduil said:
We all got it, it just wasn't any funnier than when people made similar jokes with Higurashi.
People made jokes about something so serious???
flawfuls said:
So is nobody going to sub Showa Monogatari?
Not if it's really interesting.
Branduil said:
She wasn't. Can you imagine someone lying about having a fiancé to the grandmother in Hanasaku?
Not if they wanted to live.

trejo said:
Wouldn't be much of a cycle otherwise!

KuwabaraTheMan said:
That's what makes it a cycle.

Doesn't mean you have to continue placing yourself in it :p

jman2050 said:
(in the most deadpan delivery ever) "Just for tonight, please accept me as a woman"

They even managed to mess up the gratuitous sex scene, this show really IS amazing.

fry-squint.jpg

maybe?

trejo

So far I'm gonna check out the next episodes for X-men, Nichijou, Tiger & Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha. And that's just a fraction of what's out.

Damn, this season looks stacked.

Geneijin

jman2050 said:

I'll probably finish this tonight because of you. I just finished 18 not too long ago.

And is it wrong I thought
Ralph said that? :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
So far I'm gonna check out the next episodes for X-men, Nichijou, Tiger & Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha. And that's just a fraction of what's out.

Damn, this season looks stacked.

All these quality shows will haft to fall apart mid-way somehow! :(

Dresden

Looking ahead, I'll be checking out:

27:00 MX (4/6) SKET DANCE
09:00 TVA TX (4/3) Gintama’
19:28 MX (4/4) Steins;Gate
25:00 tvk (4/16) Ao no Exorcist
19:30 (4/11) C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
21:00 ANIMAX (4/10) Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II
25:30 TX (4/11) Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae…
26:20 TVA (4/2)Showa Monogatari
26:30 MX (4/11) Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
24:30 CTC (4/3) Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera
24:59 NTV (4/5) Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji Hakairoku-hen

Mother of god.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:

26:05 TVS (4/5) Moshidora
26:20 TVA (4/2) Showa Monogatari
Will be checking out these..

Pretty amazing season, indeed.

Not bad imo

Branduil said:
Come on, I'm not the only one who saw it, right?

I think i remember reading a post mentioning Cruella (unless it was you).

flawfuls

Dresden said:

Monstrous season if this continues. We still have (off the top of my head) Dororon Enma-Kun, [C], Ano Hana, Kaiji2, Gintama, Showa Monogatari, and probably more I'm forgetting...

Azazel (if it's like the OVA it will be decent), Blue Exorcist, Hyouge Mono (beelieve), Moshidora... I doubt I'll have time to watch everything I want to.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Dresden said:

09:00 TVA TX (4/3) Gintama’
23:00 NHK-BS (4/7) Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.
09:00 CX (4/3) Fireball Charming
26:05 TVS (4/5) Moshidora
26:20 TVA (4/2)Showa Monogatari
26:10 MBS (4/7) Maria Holic Alive

Mother of god.

I'm trying to pick a few, then I'll start checking out other stuff depending on people's responses here. Probably better for my sanity that way. In the last couple of days I already plowed through Tiger and Bunny, X-Men, Nighijou, and Hanasaku Iroha, and I'm feeling spent. XD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Well, I was lamely trying to add to a discussion about the relative merits of K-On and Beck upthread, a discussion that had already finished by the time I was done eating dinner. Thus i was comparing the two.
Yupyup, I know. :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
There is always that possibility, yes. But not knowing is half the fun!
I'd haft to say that the only show i have a good feeling that will fall-apart mid-way through is tiger and bunny because lolsunrise, and maybe x-men - it would be funny if the first episode was just a fluke and the rest of the series reverts back to wolverine quality.:lol

Swag

Mr Nash said:
I can't see it happening if only because they aren't in the same town anymore. My bet is she meets someone else at school, and then somehow Ko comes back into the mix for some love triangle thing.
I hope they don't attempt this, so many shows attempt this and it gets done extremely poorly, it really only works if your taking an extremely realistic approach, and the triangle is the focus of the show, which I don't get the feeling that's the direction the show is going in. She's waiting on him to text him, and realizes the tension that it would cause if she messaged him, so possibly she's developing some type of romantic feelings for him after the confession ordeal, or she could just want to talk to her best friend *shrug*.

Having Ko hop on a train to come visit isn't a big deal, they will probably have her meet someone at school, at first be a bit apprehensive because of the situation with Ko, then get over it and embrace the dudes feelings.

trejo

Lafiel said:
I'd haft to say that the only show i have a good feeling that will fall-apart mid-way through is tiger and bunny because lolsunrise, and maybe x-men - it would be funny if the first episode was just a fluke and the rest of the series reverts back to wolverine quality.:lol
I'll be holding a certain mod personally responsible if that happens.

And I'm not all that keen on Nichijou thus far so I'll be dropping it with the quickness if it keeps withholding the funny for the next eps, nice animation and all.

Jex

On Your Mark: A music video by Hayao Miyazaki: So I guess when Studio Ghibli do a music video they go all out, huh?

You might as well just call it "Hayao Miyazaski's auteur traits: the short movie". Not that there's anything wrong with that. Can you count them all?

Actually, it's a pretty awesome short film with some sweet non-linear storytelling (kind-of) and film quality visuals.

onyourmark1.jpg
onyourmark2.jpg

onyourmark3.jpg
onyourmark4.jpg

onyourmark5.jpg
onyourmark6.jpg

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
What are you talking about? Glass Fleet proves it's more alive than ever.
Hell no! Even the shit in the 80s was more imaginative than the shit now, Odin had more thought put into it than Glass Fleet. I'll admit that the high school stuff has gotten a little better and actually has probably a wider variety now than it did before but the mecha, fantasy and space genres have just been on life support.

But sadly I HAVE to watch Glass Fleet after Scrapped Princess.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
On Your Mark: A music video by Hayao Miyazaki: So I guess when Studio Ghibli do a music video they go all out, huh?

You might as well just call it "Hayao Miyazaski's auteur traits: the short movie". Not that there's anything wrong with that. Can you count them all?

Actually, it's a pretty awesome short film with some sweet non-linear storytelling (kind-of) and film quality visuals.

onyourmark1.jpg
onyourmark2.jpg

onyourmark3.jpg
onyourmark4.jpg

onyourmark5.jpg
onyourmark6.jpg
I'm surprised you hadn't seen this before. I thought it was old news by now.

I'm still not quite sure what was going on with the two different versions of the ramp scene, but it was great nonetheless.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Hmm...
No, I thought it was perhaps implying that whatever IS it was he used in the test, she made it move that time, but then later he was given Byakushiki after going to the academy? Perhaps that one he used in the test was supposed to be Byakushiki, but I'm not so sure...

(Plus, he managed to beat the trainers in the test, off camera... considering how often he failed during the series, until his comeback at the ending, maybe the reason he won then was that he wasn't really doing it?)
Actually, you're correct about Tabane making the IS at Ichika's exam move. My mistake. But I still think the IS at Ichika's exam was probably Byakushiki. It would help explain how Ichika beat an instructor, which I forgot about it, and it could be one of the other times Tabane was referring to when Byakushiki moved on its own.

I mean, she HAS to have known something about Byakushiki, otherwise she wouldn't have set the whole thing off like she apparently did. I certainly find her denial suspicious. If she had anything to do with him going to the IS academy, as it seems she did, she has to have known that he'd be able to use it in whatever way he does... or else, as I suggested, he was just picked because he's Chifuyu's brother.
The very first IS could have been based off of Byakushiki and Chifuyu-nee. The White Knight incident was before the introduction of the IS, isn't it? Since Tabane controls how many cores are distributed around the world, it could also explain why Laura's IS transformation mimicked Chifuyu-nee's sword techniques unless it was some secret German project to copy Chifuyu-nee. Plot in IS is confusing!

I probably just lost track of the post. If you link it I'd consider replying... if you really want to keep talking about this show... (maybe you shouldn't. :))
No, if you want to. =P

It's just funny how we're going on about it even though it finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom