• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be truthful I came into this thread expecting nothing that I would like to check out except maybe 1?

However Spring 2011 has given me 5-6 of interest, not bad.

Lain

Spice And Wolf 1
This is good. Was expecting something good given all the praise, but wasn't expecting to actually like it this much just as it starts.

Steroyd

Beelzebub 11

Filler that just about gets a passing grade.

Also wtf @ the new ending, Hilda was so freaky it was like an out of body experience.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I had nothing better to do.
I hear there are better anime. But are they more entertaining?
cosmicblizzard said:
That black cross design makes it look like the head and body aren't even connected.
Hey, you guys all focused on the mise-en-scene when you should be loving themes!

/XX/

Jexhius said:
On Your Mark: A music video by Hayao Miyazaki: So I guess when Studio Ghibli do a music video they go all out, huh?
It is really beautiful to see Hayao Miyazaki's usual and familiar trait of his pencil and watercolor technique for his image-boards and illustrations but used this time on this full storyboard. I suppose he didn't have enough time to make the work entirely consistent as the first pages are more saturated and with finer detail...
or maybe it was intentional to make a progression from the heavier, darker and more oppressive colors of that first pages to the almost fading light tones with relaxing shades of blue and simple figures to reflect the freedom and peace of that last moments (yeah, right...):

http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard1.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard2.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard3.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard4.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard5.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard6.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard7.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard8.gif
http://onyourmark.webs.com/photos/Storyboard-pics/sboard9.gif

Branduil said:
I'm still not quite sure what was going on with the two different versions of the ramp scene, but it was great nonetheless.
Apparently, Mr. Miyazaki never explained the reason for that. Coincidentally, this is kind of an opportune time to see this music video as it makes you remember certain actual, and unfortunate, events:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes - The Ghibli Blog said:
Now here's an interesting question for you: do they escape at the end, or did they plummet to their deaths? The video first plays the escape attempt, which ends in the (presumably) fatal crash. Then it later repeats, but with a different ending, one with a sudden dash of fantasy if not deus ex machima. So the final shots of the characters driving Miyazaki's Heroine to freedom may only exist in their imaginations. It may or may not have actually happened.
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2009/07/on-your-mark-miyazakis-image-boards.html

Daniel Thomas MacInnes - The Ghibli Blog said:
The rest of the film involves flashbacks and reenactments. The collision on the bridge is repeated, but this time, the car mysteriously flies away to safety. The film finishes with another refrain of Chage, Aska, and the girl, driving in the open countryside; the two help her into the air, she takes flight, and flies away. It’s a terrific little moment.

Just what happened is up to interpretation. Did one of the two escape attempts never happen? Did that tank have the ability to hover and fly? Did the angel possess unknown powers? Did all three die on the first attempt, imagining the successful escape as they fell to their deaths? To quote Dylan, nothing is revealed. One important thing to note is the empty countryside. The road is littered with warnings of radiation, and the background reveals an enormous structure; Miyazaki has claimed that the building contains a nuclear reactor that has long since melted down. The area is the remains of a suburban city, long since abandoned due to radiation. So did the final sequence really happen, or was it only an idyllic expression of hope? I’ll let you chew on that for a while.
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2009/08/on-your-mark-2004-review.html

Tiger and Bunny
Holy over use of CG, Batman! Otherwise an enjoyable first episode. Set up the world and rules nicely and it has an interesting premise.

So I finished Railgun awhile ago.

I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more than the majority of Index S1 outside of the Accelerator Arc and maybe the last one. I don't know who it was that said it in the previous topic [if they did at all I'm so slow when it comes to keeping up with these topics], but the science-related arcs are a lot more entertaining than the magic arcs. It kinda helped that the main cast of Railgun were a lot more interesting than Touma and Index. Admittedly I was kinda wasn't expecting a fight with
a giant fetus
. I probably enjoyed the last arc much more than I should've, though it was mostly because of
Not Beatrice
being the villain.

On the topic of Index S2, I was kinda hoping to see more of Itsuwa so far, but she's been barely around so far, but I'm only up to ep. 8. She'll probably just be some extra that got a lot of fan art for some reason, like Tachibana Himeko. Really, a lot of the science-related characters were more interesting than a lot of the magic sides. I've only really become kinda partial to Kaori since beginning S2. And I kinda want to like Stiyl but... gyah he's really just kinda there to me. As usual though, the science arcs continue to be more entertaining than the magic arcs.

Since I brought it up, did any of you all ever watch the Umineko anime adaptation? Boy, did that cause much drama in other parts of the net.

Steroyd

NotebookJ2 said:
So I finished Railgun awhile ago.

I don't know who it was that said it in the previous topic [if they did at all I'm so slow when it comes to keeping up with these topics], but the science-related arcs are a lot more entertaining than the magic arcs.

EVERYONE in this thread will say that, just about one of 2 things that Gaf will unanimously agree upon which is a feat in itself.

Heartcatch Precure - lost count

The arrival of Cure Sunshine made me cry of laughter, because I have snapped and come to the realisation that I am charging through this show in an attempt to fill the Magical Girl void Madoka has left in my heart.
168eu6o.gif

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Elastic didn't exist before the later 1800s. No modern-style underwear without it. You need stretchy rubber products to get elastic, and even that wasn't discovered (to make tires, etc.) until the 1840s.
See, it's just as I said.
A Black Falcon said:
El Cazador was good. It's not as good as Noir, sure, but it's good. Noir definitely is the best of their three "girls with guns" shows, and the only one of the three I'd consider calling a great show, but El Cazador's in a solid second. Madlax of course I didn't like as much.
I wish I could be as easy to please.
A Black Falcon said:
Hey, I write about shows I consider good as often as ones I don't, probably... it's not my fault if it's the ones I don't that get most of the replies. (Or if other people's tastes differ on what they consider good.)

Like, for shows so far this year I've written posts about IS (horrible but amusing in how bad it is), Rio (bad, fanservice-centric), Oniichan no koto... (horrible but often funny), and Gosick (decent to good show, depending on the episode. More often good than not. I like it). So one good one, but nobody wants to talk about that show since they dismissed it for having "not mysterious enough mysteries". Oh well.
But none of these shows are any good.
A Black Falcon said:
Of course though, we also discussed Escaflowne, which I at least think is great, and I wrote some about The Twelve Kingdoms too, did you forget that one? And I mentioned a few others too, here and there. I finished (and posted about) Speed Grapher and Pani Poni Dash in January, I thought both were pretty good and I believe you disagreed like usual. I rewatched and made some posts about Angelic Layer, which I still like for sure. I watched/wrote about my opinions on a couple of movies too, including Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society (quite good but confusing as always from the franchise) and The Sky Crawlers (unique, perhaps, and well made, but so boring...). Etc.
And most of these aren't any good except 12 Kingdoms, Ghost in the Shell and, I guess that's it. A few people talked about Speed Grapher's OP though after you posted, so people paid attention.
A Black Falcon said:
I guess I just don't hate enough shows, though there certainly are some I do, and don't use screencaps to get attention to things either.
That's definitely the issue, you're too easy to please.
A Black Falcon said:
No, it'd probably be less interesting that way. And did you really not disagree with my statement that the rest of the club members aren't any better than Haruhi, or did you just drop that point? (I'm guessing the latter)
Why would it be the latter? I've never really defended any of Haurhi's cast, Asahina's insufferable, Haruhi's a bitch, Nagato's a lifeless robot and Kyon's just a normal dude who's alright but nothing special, I figured the fact I often have to resort to calling Tsuruya the best character said all that needed to be said concerning the regular cast.
A Black Falcon said:
But both are partially true. It's mostly meaningless, but not entirely.
Uh huh.
A Black Falcon said:
As my list above shows, your opinions on which shows are bad are often wrong. :) But as for things like that, sure, perhaps. You got the "ISes are actually spirits or something" thing too, apparently.
It's not that I'm a genius or the show telegraphed it but that, well, aside from genetics the only other reason why females would be the only ones normally capable of piloting one would be something like that so it was kinda a given.
A Black Falcon said:
One Piece aside, I just thought the fact that he went from calling them "my friends" to admitting he liked one showed a bit of character development, for pretty much the first time... of course it's in a traditional, very cliche harem-show interrupted scene, but it probably was better than going to the end with him maintaining his "they're just friends" thing to the end. It just needed more character building in between, as I said. It's a pretty basic thing, that IS failed at even that is kind of amusing. :)
Again, I really wouldn't nitpick that first part. I liken nakama to the word comrade which when used correctly isn't really a weak word, then again neither is friend when used correctly. I always bring up the One Piece crew when discussing nakama because I was involved in an argument where they don't think there's an English equivalent and that nakama is so powerful a word that any English translation does the word a disservice. I think that's bullshit, I think comrade fits just fine, the problem is not with the English vocabulary but the people of today, when used properly comrade has a very heavy meaning, it does place those people described as higher than friends or mere coworkers but then, depending on the person the word friend isn't exactly meaningless either. I guess it's this Myspace, Facebook generation where everyone has hundreds of friends that this generation no longer assigns any true value to a friend or comrade but they're not weak words at all.

So the first scene made perfect sense, there was actually nothing wrong with it at all, nothing worth examining further, it worked, was as realistic as could be considering he was talking to a robot while unconscious .

As for him and Houki, again so what? It really means nothing with the way the show's written. He could probably have been written to do that with any of the girls had he been alone with them at that point, that's how weak the writing is and how useless I think it is to give a shit.
A Black Falcon said:
Considering that if it continues it'll just keep going nowhere most of the time it doesn't really matter, and it was predictable that he'd end up with her on the "first girl" basis, but come on, IS is uncommonly bad at giving any kind of consistency between its episodes. I think that the way they did it does make the plot even stupider.

As for whether he loves all of them, he's the ultra-caring protagonist guy, so he's got to, right? But he knew Houki first so he loves her a little more than the others, maybe. (repeat "what in the world anime, why do you care so much about childhood friends" criticism here)
See, these set-ups are fucking garbage.
A Black Falcon said:
Perhaps, if something alien or magic-like or spiritual is involved... I'm not sure she was telling the truth there though, her statements were evasive. If she is telling the truth, then yeah, it could well be that.
Pretty sure she was telling the truth because she said so little.
A Black Falcon said:
future speculation stuff...
Frankly though, since the show is done I think I'm done, no real sense in trying to figure out the world when it's over and not going to be revealed and neither, well I believe neither, of us are going to check up on the novels. I sure as fuck aren't.
A Black Falcon said:
Last Exile
It's like your Escaflowne complaints, sort of, minor complaints about things that either are explained or aren't too important...
Lol, since when is plot, character motivations, story and their execution unimportant?
A Black Falcon said:
I mean, talking about Last Exile without even mentioning the great ship designs, the interesting and unique take on the world that the series has, the original world design, and more? Yes, I like the story and characters too, but the outstanding presentation and world design, and the solid CG work too for the flying and fight scenes, are some of the show's stronger points. The "flying ships in a world of sky" concept isn't often done nearly that well. And as a huge fan of Skies of Arcadia, I like such settings. :)
Well I did mention "the world" but seriously, you're not really selling why it deserves to be a show instead of an artbook from an artists.
A Black Falcon said:
And on the note of the characters, the motivations for the countries were strong -- the world has very limited resources, people are fighting over what's there. Disith is facing environmental collapse, pushing them even harder to win. Anatoray is trying to resist them. The characters have fine motivations and backstories too, I thought. I have no complaints there that I can remember.
No, the motivation for the war between those two sides is fine, it's everything else.
A Black Falcon said:
As for your plot criticisms though, first, on the point of the failed mission, the attempt was a miserable failure. Someone died, and they did not get through. Afterwards isn't it entirely reasonable to say 'it can't be done, you'll just fail and maybe die too'? I'd say that's an understandable reaction.
No, it's not. How do they fight? Hmm... How? Granted the other side had better routes to attack but you can't tell me that there was no other way. For starters they sent the treaty over on their equivalent of a bicycle. Absurd.

Further, by the end of the show they had a shitload of ships that were doing just fine up there, how many years now have thy had ships that could cross the stream? Who knows but I can tell you they never again tried to deliver the message. Of course you could say that that was because of new leadership on their part that didn't want peace, but, fuck it.
A Black Falcon said:
For how Alvis escaped the Guild, I forget if they explain how that happened or not, but what matters for the plot is that she did, not how. I've seen the series twice, and never cared about that point. And yeah, you don't really learn what exactly she is, except that she has some strange tie to Exile. I did wonder, but oh well, it works as it is.
It's actually not really a big issue just standard Gonzo fucking around.
A Black Falcon said:
As for the Guild, Alex hated her partially for what she'd said, but also because he knew enough about the Guild's system to know that he thought it was wrong and needed to be fought against, yes? And in the end he gets his revenge and the Guild is defeated, and the world has a chance to progress.
But did he know about Guild before that part? I think not. His whole motivation was silly.
A Black Falcon said:
And as for the plot and the ending, yes it is confusing. However, you can make sense of it with time. The thing they are finding is the world-ship that brought people to this very strangely shaped planet (on that note I do wish the show had made it clearer in the show somewhere how odd the planet looks, to explain why you have to go through the sky to reach the other nation...). Once they activated it it'll release resources badly needed, I believe, or something like that; perhaps it instead takes them (and others) inside, where they travel to another world with more resources (the latter is the explanation Wikipedia goes for). Remember that the Guild's excuse for why they oppressed everyone was that because of the world's scarce resources the nations could not be allowed to advance beyond what the land could sustain. In addition to defeating the Guild, finding the Exile is vital for breaking that system. Despite its hard to understand nature, I like the ending; sure, it's not clear exactly where they went at the end, the villains were defeated, and at least we do know that the characters will be happier now and in the future and there won't be suffering and war over scarce resources. Maybe they'll fight over other things, but not that. And Mullen isn't dead either, the ending reveals that he survived somehow. So yeah, it was a decent if confusing ending for a pretty good show.
The ending was garbage man. Garbage.
Seriously, nothing was pulled off well in the show, nothing, it was almost exclusively mediocre.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, watched Nichijou, was thoroughly bored, giving the show a fail rating.

faridmon

I actually thought El Cazador was OK, Despite the soft core Hentai Innoundo (or however you spell that). I found it disspointing in the last 3rd when all the mistery have been solved. Remineded me on the Skull man which I hated so passionatly.

I need to watch more ''Girls with gun''. I loved Gunslinger grirs. S2 was abhorant though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
faridmon said:
I need to watch more ''Girls with gun''. I loved Gunslinger grirs. S2 was abhorant though.
Noir's a good choice on that, so's Madlax. They were made by the same people who made El Cazador. Also, GSG S2 isn't horrible, it's just got much lower production quality, which is really a shame considering the top level production qualities of the first.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just about to start my Spring shows from whats aired.

Nichijou
Tiger & Bunny
Steins Gate
Hanasaku Iroha - seems like the general reception for this has been good

I'll watch the first 3 episodes for all shows and decide if I'll continue with them after that.

Already decided to watch TWOGK II. I enjoyed the first season but I just hope all the character arcs are consistent and enjoyable in this one. I remember 2 of them really bored me in the first season, especially hated that singer/dancer girl arc.

faridmon

doomed1 said:
Noir's a good choice on that, so's Madlax. They were made by the same people who made El Cazador. Also, GSG S2 isn't horrible, it's just got much lower production quality, which is really a shame considering the top level production qualities of the first.
GSG was quite underwhelming, not only with the production value, but where it went with the whole plot. There isn't enough emotinal punch and the charcters werent as strongly produced as it should. A dissapoinment is the word I would have describe it after finishing it.

Black Lagoon, that is another ''Girls with guns'' that I have watched and they looked Sexy. I shall check one of those two you mentioned above, out. I heard great things about Noir.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
Well, he did say he liked El Cazador de la Bruja, isn't it the same thing really? :p

I wouldn't know; I stopped watching Bee Train shows once they started to have the exact same 2-minutes-long flashback three times per episode.

jman2050

Steroyd said:
Okay fine, there's only 1 thing Gaf will unanimously agree on, way to take a dump on my post jman you used to be cool.

Well by roughly the same I mean that I find the science arcs ever so slightly more tolerable than the magic arcs, so technically you're still correct.

Happy?

Jex

7Th said:
Noir and Madlax aren't "girls and guns" shows, they're "flashbacks and panning" shows.
If your show can only be describes as "girls and guns" it's probably terrible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kizuna Ichigeki: Well this was awesome from start to finish.

youngfighting.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Slam Dunk 01: The difference between Hanamichi and every other loser in animu is that Hanamichi tries to not be a loser.

Kimi ni Todoke 08: Aww she's calling other people by their first names now. <3 Kimiru is cute too.

Pokémon Best Wishes! 19: Tsundere? In my Pokeymen?

wwm0nkey

Just recently watched and finished the first season of Darker Than Black was pretty damn good, but I will be skipping out on the 2nd season as I feel this one ended things perfectly.

faridmon

icarus-daedelus said:
Well, he did say he liked El Cazador de la Bruja, isn't it the same thing really? :p
I can't remember El Cazador having lot of flashbacks. It was slow to get going but flashbacks wasn't always there. Of course they had to explain how Ellie came to this world and
Where her Whcich powers came from. Oh, and who the hell killed Dr Heinz
and they have to have certain amount of panning to get those part out of the way, but it never felt overwhelming and unnecessary.

But again, My memory of Anime series I have watched back then is always Hazy, so... (WTF is wrong with me?)

wwm0nkey said:
Just recently watched and finished the first season of Darker Than Black was pretty damn good, but I will be skipping out on the 2nd season as I feel this one ended things perfectly.
Lol wut...

DtB was awesome. However, if there is one thing I would critisise it for is the incoherence of its story, especially towards its ending. I still don't understand what the hell happned and why..

Skipping S2 is fine and all, but how will you be able to watch the awesome Gaiden OVA part D:

BluWacky

Jexhius said:
If your show can only be describes as "girls and guns" it's probably terrible.

Worse than "cute girls doing cute things"?

Besides, Phantom had a BOY with a gun! Alas, it didn't have YANMANI YANMANI YANMANI or ELDA TARUTA, so it could never be as "good" as Madlax.

I genuinely really liked Madlax back in the day, although I'm certain it wouldn't hold up to a rewatch. It had a good supporting cast, a mad but twisty plot, and nice music. Probably helps it was my first Koichi Mashimo Bee Train show; once you've seen his tricks once you've seen them every time. I suspect this is why so many people rated Noir quite highly back in the day - because it was the first time they'd seen that kind of thing - whereas now his shit is, as they say bananas.

Steroyd

jman2050 said:
Well by roughly the same I mean that I find the science arcs ever so slightly more tolerable than the magic arcs, so technically you're still correct.

Happy?

I'll let it slide for now.

Infinite Justice said:
Filler again?

so why the hell they started to animate this...

Yeah and the next episode looks like more filler to.

Jex

BluWacky said:
Worse than "cute girls doing cute things"?
Well, they are both pretty bad. But 'girls with guns' is a lot easier to screw up then 'cute girls doing cute things', and the screwing up can be of a much higher level.
/XX/ said:
Apparently, Mr. Miyazaki never explained the reason for that. Coincidentally, this is kind of an opportune time to see this music video as it makes you remember certain actual, and unfortunate, events:
Considering how dark and cynical Miyazaki appears in interviews, I'm going to go with the negative interpretation.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Considering how dark and cynical Miyazaki appears in interviews, I'm going to go with the negative interpretation.

But he tends to make films which reflect the opposite of his personal cynicism, so maybe it should be interpreted in the opposite sense.

faridmon

Jexhius said:
Well, they are both pretty bad. But 'girls with guns' is a lot easier to screw up then 'cute girls doing cute things', and the screwing up can be of a much higher level.
Then how would you explain Gunslinger Girls and Black Lagoon?

Girls with guns > Cute Girls doing Cute things

Infinite Justice said:
Filler again?

so why the hell they started to animate this...
After reading some of the maga I have no Idea why they're making so much filler. There is more than enough content to fill out 2 whole seasons without any need for filler. Delaying the first big fight of the manga doesn't help them in anyway.

Dresden

M_Night said:
Already decided to watch TWOGK II. I enjoyed the first season but I just hope all the character arcs are consistent and enjoyable in this one. I remember 2 of them really bored me in the first season, especially hated that singer/dancer girl arc.
Mio's arc was pretty bad, and Kanon's arc got dragged out.

The new season should cover the teacher that loves pro wrestling, the karate girl, and Chihiro... along with Haqua's introduction.

Lafiel said:
Toradora 1 - Started watching this, just now. All i can say after 1 episode is this taiga girl is a real psychopath, if i ever met a girl like that irl, i wouldn't even go near her, i mean come on she tries to kill the main character with a wooden sword!

Overall - it seems amusing enough, but I'd haft to admit if it wasn't for the overall popularity of the series here and the number of people who are bugging me to watch it, i probably wouldn't even bother with it past the first episode, but i will watch the whole thing.:)
Not you too, Lafiel.

52ulMl.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Tiger and Bunny 01, Wasn't bad. Most likely it will collapse in a non-epic fashion. But was enjoyable.

Iroha 01, One episode in and I want more already.

trejo

wwm0nkey said:
faridmon said:
Skipping S2 is fine and all, but how will you be able to watch teh awesome Gaiden OVA part D:
The hell are you two going on about? Acting as if there were a second season of DTB.

Jex

faridmon said:
Then how would you explain Gunslinger Girls and Black Lagoon?

Girls with guns > Cute Girls doing Cute things
Black Lagoon isn't a 'girls with guns show'. While they may appear, Rock is practically the main character and he's a dude without a gun.

Gunslinger Girls certainly features girls with guns as it's main conceit (although arguably it's main conceit is exploitation and manipulation), but it's the exception that proves the rule. I said it was easy to screw up, and most of the time they do screw it up badly. Hence why no-one ever recommends the second season.

Dresden said:
Mio's arc was pretty bad, and Kanon's arc got dragged out.

The new season should cover the teacher that loves pro wrestling, the karate girl, and Chihiro... along with Haqua's introduction.

Not you too, Lafiel.

Yea should be interesting seeing those
(hot for student scene hell yea)

*foreveralone* lol

Dresden

trejo said:
The hell are you two going on about? Acting as if there were a second season of DTB.
There was--they just never animated it.

aaMY6l.jpg

There were rumors about a new season with a magical girl or something, though.

Infinite Justice said:
Yea should be interesting seeing those
(hot for student scene hell yea)
Asides from Haqua and Nagase, I'm not looking forward to the other two girls--Chihiro is lame and so is the karate girl. Wish they covered at least the ramen girl this season.

Hellsing321 said:
After reading some of the maga I have no Idea why they're making so much filler. There is more than enough content to fill out 2 whole seasons without any need for filler. Delaying the first big fight of the manga doesn't help them in anyway.

I think they just want to widen the gap while they're still in the introductory arcs. If this succeeds, it could be the first WSJ adaptation that doesn't end prematurely since, jeez, I don't know, Gintama? That was back in 2006.

faridmon

Jexhius said:
Black Lagoon isn't a 'girls with guns show'. While they may appear, Rock is practically the main character and he's a dude without a gun.

Gunslinger Girls certainly features girls with guns as it's main conceit (although arguably it's main conceit is exploitation and manipulation), but it's the exception that proves the rule. I said it was easy to screw up, and most of the time they do screw it up badly. Hence why no-one ever recommends the second season.
But again, you are practically ''Girl with a gun'' classification don't exist or is rarely done which implies that the term shouldn't exist because there isn't enough of it to for the term to be used in a more permanent fashion.

In which case you are right, hence us treading on the water of ''If there is a a sexy women and she uses a gun, then that Anime is a ''Girl with a gun''

But damn if ''Cute Girls doing Cute things'' isn't overused and overblown already...
trejo said:
I wish I had that kind of mentallity. However, having that kind of mentality will make you ignore The Gaiden chapters which were great.

:(

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
faridmon said:
GSG was quite underwhelming, not only with the production value, but where it went with the whole plot. There isn't enough emotinal punch and the charcters werent as strongly produced as it should. A dissapoinment is the word I would have describe it after finishing it.

Black Lagoon, that is another ''Girls with guns'' that I have watched and they looked Sexy. I shall check one of those two you mentioned above, out. I heard great things about Noir.
Yeah, I agree that El Teatrino was a disappointment relative to the first, and the not-section 2 characters were pretty awfully written, but by the end I was at the edge of my seat. That last episode, while they could have done OH SO MUCH more with it, was really painful to watch. Triella really became a more fleshed out character. It unfortunately fell into the same predictable ruts that the original so skillfully dodged, but the core behind that was definitely good.

Oh, and Black Lagoon isn't girls with guns, it's just GUNS GUNS GUNS. No gender about it. :p

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I started SDF Macross a long, long time ago, and it was always my plan to finish it before moving onto Macross +, and then to just stop there and not touch 7 or Frontier with a ten foot pole.
That's surely the only plan anyone could have?

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
I started SDF Macross a long, long time ago, and it was always my plan to finish it before moving onto Macross +, and then to just stop there and not touch 7 or Frontier with a ten foot pole.
This reminds me I still need to get back into 7.

faridmon

doomed1 said:
Yeah, I agree that El Teatrino was a disappointment relative to the first, and the not-section 2 characters were pretty awfully written, but by the end I was at the edge of my seat. That last episode, while they could have done OH SO MUCH more with it, was really painful to watch. Triella really became a more fleshed out character. It unfortunately fell into the same predictable ruts that the original so skillfully dodged, but the core behind that was definitely good.
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. Some of the episodes were Nervewrecking, I'll give you that. But what I was expecting was that every minute of it being a rollercoster ride of an event and drama. Maybe its one of those situation where my expectation puting a huge dent on my impression of the Anime.

Spice and Wolf S2 and (OOkikke Furakabutte?) shows clearly not everytime can Anime franchise run by another company and be underwhelming at the same time.

Oh, and Black Lagoon isn't girls with guns, it's just GUNS GUNS GUNS. No gender about it. :p
Oh, OK, never mind my comments about it being female driven gunplay Anime

iavi

Dresden said:
There was--they just never animated it.

Ah, fuck, there it is! I've had this in the back of my mind since you last talked about it, but couldn't put my finger on what it was, thanks for reminding me. *adds to queue before he forgets... again*

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:

It really isn't necessary to finish SDF Macross before watching +.

Steroyd

Kaiji 23 - 26

100% ready for S2 now, didn't like it as much when Kaiji is setting something up as opposed to trying to work his way out of a hole but the last episode was a great life lesson, and here's hoping Kaiji obtains more ruthlessness. :D

Joule

Fireball Charming: Looks like they upped the cg this time around. It looks quite nice and fluid. Drossel's ever changing hair styles <3 It's also still just as funny as the first season. These 1-2 minute shorts are so quick and snappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom