• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollin

Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
No idea what the hell I just watched. Was expecting a typical Navel harem anime but left disappointing. The only bright spot was the loli joke that was funny and creepy at the same time.

Dresden said:
There was--they just never animated it.

aaMY6l.jpg

There were rumors about a new season with a magical girl or something, though.

Asides from Haqua and Nagase, I'm not looking forward to the other two girls--Chihiro is lame and so is the karate girl. Wish they covered at least the ramen girl this season.

being fair that was the point for Chihiro and i liked karate girl in comparsion to that swimming girl

Nichijou 1
Yeah, I laughed a little bit. I was actually surprised that I did, given the reactions in this thread. I was worried the humor would be too foreign for me. Guess I'll continue with this.

Instro

ollin said:
No idea what the hell I just watched. Was expecting a typical Navel harem anime but left disappointing. The only bright spot was the loli joke that was funny and creepy at the same time.

Uh yeah you and me both. It seems like theres multiple storylines going on or something, the bar/restarurant segment and the one after that were pretty funny though so I think I might keep watching. The bit about Japenese men all being pedos had me laughing.

Doesnt seem like a typical harem show atm, dunno if thats good or bad yet though.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nichijou 1 - A few scenes made me chuckle, especially the food bit.

Steins Gate 1 - Bit confused at what I just saw. The doctor guy seems crazy. Will watch a few more episodes just to see where this goes and if I can make sense of it.

Tiger & Bunny 1 - Nice setting. I like the main character and kinda feel sorry for him haha. Definitely looking forward to the next episode and I'm really hoping it can build on this first episode.

Now on to Hanasaku Iroha.

Geneijin

Instro said:
Doesnt seem like a typical harem show atm, dunno if thats good or bad yet though.
It's been more bad than good personally because the entire episode felt so disconnected. If the ED hints at what the story is doing though, I'm in it for a few more.

Instro

Geneijin said:
It's been more bad than good personally because the entire episode felt so disconnected. If the ED hints at what the story is doing though, I'm in it for a few more.

Yeah thats true, it did kind of jump around quite a bit. I do like that theres multiple male leads though, so we'll see how that works out.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Crunchyroll are streaming Steins; Gate as well. Biggest season for them so far. Hopefully it isn't to long before the majority shows get simulcasts.

Dog Days

Looks like the side characters from Nanoha have grown cat ears + tails. I didn't see the whole war as a sport thing coming, was that hinted at all before hand? This may actually be reasonably fun.

7Th

This was seriously great; I shouldn't have taken so long to watch it. It features badass fighting sequences filled with well-animated martial arts, Yuichiro Sueyoshi character designs and animation direction and a cute main character; I was expecting it to be good, but not this good.

Steroyd

What is The Epic of Kektbatch?

The fansubber has nailed me twice with ecchi bordering on H stuff, and I've eventually learned my lesson through Hen Zemi and Nana to Kaoru so... I'm asking before attempting to watch this time. >_>

Go_Ly_Dow

Hanasaku Iroha 1

Great opening episode, my favorite of the bunch. After some minor expectations it didn't disappoint.

The animation seems top notch and I love rural settings as well, so this seems like a keeper.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nesotenso said:
Liked the concept of Tiger and Bunny. But I wonder why did they have to give it such a weird name.

Yeah I went in blind and was expecting some animal themed Anime or something :lol

The opening minutes took me back a bit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
mAcOdIn said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, watched Nichijou, was thoroughly bored, giving the show a fail rating.

I'd hope you are going watch Hanasaku Iroha this season odin, because if you don't like it there's something seriously wrong with you!

I started SDF Macross a long, long time ago, and it was always my plan to finish it before moving onto Macross +, and then to just stop there and not touch 7 or Frontier with a ten foot pole.
Hey watching all of 7 is a experience in itself, a experience I'm scared of doing.

Jex

7Th said:
This was seriously great; I shouldn't have taken so long to watch it. It features badass fighting sequences filled with well-animated martial arts, Yuichiro Sueyoshi character designs and animation direction and a cute main character; I was expecting it to be good, but not this good.
The Young Animator Training Project stuff has been awesome so far and I haven't even got around to Wardrobe Dwellers.
Nesotenso said:
Liked the concept of Tiger and Bunny. But I wonder why did they have to give it such a weird name.
It's an anime title. They race each other for oddness. Steins;Gate.

Geneijin

Nesotenso said:
Well, there is a hero called Wild Tiger. Don't know who's the Bunny yet. Probably a partner? Who knows.

Dresden

Geneijin said:
Well, there is a hero called Wild Tiger. Don't know who's the Bunny yet. Probably a partner? Who knows.
Probably Barnaby.

Tried watching Steins;Gate but I'll just wait for 720p. Ginga sounds good as Okarin, though.

7th said:
Yeah, it was damn good. And aren't they a new studio? My favorite out of the three so far.

Nesotenso said:

Well the "Tiger" part of the name makes sense now and maybe the "Bunny" part will be clarified so the show goes on (unless its really his partner gonna be named "Bunny" lol)

7Th

Geneijin said:

Barnaby is Bunny. The second PV for Tiger and Bunny, that they released just a day before the show itself, was pretty decent; much better than the first, at least. I honestly wonder what the fuck is up with Japan and releasing shitty PVs for their cartoons.

Jex

Stop letting me down, ghostlightning [blogger] -

ghostlightning said:
Gonna stop watching Iroha for a moment. It's annoying me but it's probably me.
ghostlightning said:
Despite featuring so many things that I dislike (I won’t bother to mention the other things), I wholeheartedly recommend Young Animators Training Project: Kizuna Ichigeki.

trejo

Fireball Charming

What the hell did I just watch? Disney? Huh? Is there more to this I'm not aware of?

That was really random but sorta funny, I guess. And oh so pretty.

flawfuls

trejo said:
Fireball Charming

What the hell did I just watch? Disney? Huh? Is there more to this I'm not aware of?

I think there is a prequel just called Fireball.

Joule

trejo said:
Fireball Charming

Yeah Charming is the second season. You can watch the first here.

Geneijin

7Th said:
Kotetsu nicknames him Bunny because it looks like his armor/costume has small bunny ears.
It doesn't look like bunny ears to me either, so I never made the connection. Probably wouldn't have at all until the show talks about it explicitly.

Thanks for the clarification.

tiff

Banned
ollin said:
Instro said:
Uh yeah you and me both. It seems like theres multiple storylines going on or something, the bar/restarurant segment and the one after that were pretty funny though so I think I might keep watching. The bit about Japenese men all being pedos had me laughing.

Geneijin said:
I was going to watch it anyway but if AnimeGAF doesn't 100% hate it right out of the gate then I think I'm even a little excited to now.

/XX/

Branduil said:
But he tends to make films which reflect the opposite of his personal cynicism, so maybe it should be interpreted in the opposite sense.
I think that way too. For me, Hayao Miyazaki seems to be a bit cynical in interviews but I always had the impression that he doesn't want to transmit that feeling into his movies, although in part because of this some of them may come as a little restrained:

That's because you (Mamoru Oshii) speak as a thinker. I'm not. I am an entertainer, so entertaining (people) with a movie, or entertaining them by giving them a ride in my tricycle, it's the same thing to me. In fact, when I give two small kids a ride, they really get delighted. And it makes me really happy to see that. So, I still have something I want to make. A pig flies in a red plane, or you seclude yourself on a mountain with a dog, it doesn't matter. But, both Oshii-san and I would sum that (what we've done) up as "not good," that's for sure. -laughs-
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/m_oshii_patlabor2.html

Without an ulterior motive, in my opinion, he doesn't pretend to inflict yourself with his vision of today's human society, instead he fits his own outside stories in a distorted reflection of that human society simply because it is the type of society he is accustomed to live in, and as a result he tries to demonstrate what kind of alternatives we can possibly take on as human beings. I think this is particularly true for his works prior to Princess Mononoke.

Hayao Miyazaki and Devin Gordon said:
Gordon: In an interview, "Ghost in the Shell" director Mamoru Oshii claimed that, deep down, you dream of "destroying Japan" and making movies with lots of bloodshed.

Miyazaki: [Laughs] It's not that I want to destroy Japan. It's that I predict that it will be destroyed. Oshii and I are friends, so we always dis each other.

Gordon: OK, but what makes him suspect that you have such feelings about Japan?

Miyazaki: Maybe it's because I say things like "Oh, I wish the big earthquake would just hurry up and get here." [Laughs] My thoughts are very pessimistic, yes, but my general state of being is very positive.
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/newsweek.html

Geneijin

tiff said:
I was going to watch it anyway but if AnimeGAF doesn't 100% hate it right out of the gate then I think I'm even a little excited to now.
Only thing good I liked about it are the 3 male leads' perspective thing they have going on. That, and the same character designer also did Final Approach, which I'm a fan of. ED also saved the show. Otherwise, I'd probably would be less interested with where they're going with this.

MCD

trejo said:
The hell are you two going on about? Acting as if there were a second season of DTB.
I will cut you.

Dresden said:

The manga introduced two new awesome characters that I'd love for them to get the anime treatment, whether they appear in an animated version of the manga or a new tv season is all the cool by me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Revolutionary girl utena 16 - Ah the infamous "cowbell" episode I've heard so much about, and it was hilarious, nanami is so damn awesome.:lol

Yes, exactly. She only looks and acts like a twelve year old.
The former being something that comes off as unnecessary, i probably could have tolerated her personality if she actually looked her age.

Swag

I Am Now said:
Man. This tread as really slowed down, eh?
Hilarious that when the season hasn't started thread moves at a blazing pace, then slows down when shows actually start airing.

Tiger & Bunny 1
Was actually kinda good, the reality TV setup was a good way to work in why there is so much product placement and the CG while extremely prevalent didn't annoy me like it usually does in anime. The main character is quite likeable aswell.

shintoki said:
Honey and Clover question, and there is no nice way to phrase it.

Is the loli mentally challenged?
Hagu is basically a high functioning autistic, yes. Artistically brilliant, but not good with people. This informs all of her decisions throughout the series.

icarus-daedelus said:
Yes, exactly. She only looks and acts like a twelve year old.
I know "anime" and all (though Honey and Clover is targeted at young adult women rather than the sterotypical loli fan or whatever) but there are Japanese women who really are that small. As for her behavior, see above. She's not exactly a twelve year old though since no twelve year old would be anywhere near as accomplished an artist as her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom