• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Dance In My Blood said:
At least it isn't as bad as Samurai Girls.
Nah, Samurai Girls is easily better than Sengoku Otome. If they're both fanservice animes, Sengoku Otome already fails in that department by being overly dull all-around.

Rektash said:
High five bro! Freeloading anime knights are the better anime knights. Also, watching one episode per week just doesn't cut it. I like to watch my shows compressed in 2-3 days.
Says the person who didn't watch Haruhi in the broadcast order!

Hellsing321 said:
Wait is Date Masamune a dog in this?
Nope. She's Date-sensei.

0AXmq.jpg

Uchip

Banned
Rektash said:
High five bro! Freeloading anime knights are the better anime knights. Also, watching one episode per week just doesn't cut it. I like to watch my shows compressed in 2-3 days.

On another note I just skipped through the first 4 eps of Mai Otomo. Looks boring even though Yuki seems to have got her shit together again, the OST sounds a lot better.

worst case scenario I see 3 bad shows in a row and give up on anime again
Otome was good just because of Nina and her voice actress :)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Rektash said:
Well sorry, I don't see appeal in an artifically obfuscated story ;D.
It's not "artificially obfuscated" - the show is paced around the broadcast order. The chronological order sucks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Geneijin said:
Nah, Samurai Girls is easily better than Sengoku Otome. If they're both fanservice animes, Sengoku Otome already fails in that department by being overly dull all-around.
Samurai Girls just felt incomprehensible to me from the get go. I didn't make it through the first episode. Sengoku Otome's biggest problem is that literally every single thing in it seems like a worn trope.

Jex

shintoki said:
Honey and Clover question, and there is no nice way to phrase it.

Is the loli mentally challenged?
She's just every man's dream: an 18 year old that looks and acts like a 12 year old.
Aigis said:
It's not "artificially obfuscated" - the show is paced around the broadcast order. The chronological order sucks.
That's still how they chose to pace it, which means you can still accuse it of being artificially obfuscated. They could have done otherwise.

Rektash

Aigis said:

The fillers don't get any better just because they are more evenly distributed within the show.

Instro

Uchip said:
go forth brave anime knights!
discover what is and isnt worth watching!
Im in no hurry

Come my tan-faced children,

Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
Have you your pistols? have you your sharp-edged axes?
Pioneers! O pioneers!

For we cannot tarry here,
We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,
We the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend,
Pioneers! O pioneers!

Jex

trejo said:
This is how it always is once some actual season shows start airing. Just par for the course, really.
The general anime threads get filled with posts in inverse proportion to the amount of high-quality shows airing.
B.K. said:
Funimation's been sold. I wonder how long they'll last. I guess I bet get all the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood sets while I can.
I imagine they'll last for a good long while to come.
InfiniteNine said:
But 12 year olds are annoying.
Tell it to Japan!
I Am Now said:
ANY word on Madoka???
Ha ha ha ha ha
Uchip said:
its pronounced horo because japanese have no l
but its spelt with an l officially
so it doesnt matter which you use
But of course it matters!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You know I wasn't joking about the Hagu remark. I'm two episodes in and I can't tell if she is special ed or hitting 11 on a 10 scale for bad anime characters.

Geneijin

Dance In My Blood said:
Samurai Girls just felt incomprehensible to me from the get go. I didn't make it through the first episode. Sengoku Otome's biggest problem is that literally every single thing in it seems like a worn trope.
Which is why I consider Sengoku Otome worse than Samurai Girls. At least Samurai Girls had some sort of substance. But in Sengoku Otome, there's practically no sense of character in anybody, not even as stereotypes. Just terribly shallow. And the plot advancement felt extremely forced too with what little of it was there.

Rektash

shintoki said:
You know I wasn't joking about the Hagu remark. I'm two episodes in and I can't tell if she is special ed or hitting 11 on a 10 scale for bad anime characters.

Yeah she is completly retarded but who really cares? The characters and interactions around her are what makes h&c interesting.

flawfuls

shintoki said:

Hagu really brings down the entire show. It wouldn't be so bad if she was a minor character, but she basically the most important character and she has no personality to speak of.

Jex

Rektash said:
Yeah she is completly retarded but who really cares? The characters and interactions around her are what makes h&c interesting.
Hagu really bothers some people, especially as she's so central. I personally don't think much of her but I still really like the show.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
So... has anyone here seen The Epic of Zektbach? Tell me if it's good or not.

It was decent enough I suppose. It wasn't exactly memorable and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but you could do worse with your time.

iavi

Jexhius said:
Hagu really bothers some people, especially as she's so central. I personally don't think much of her but I still really like the show.

Hagu made it real hard for me to take the show seriously. I got over it, yeah, but I guarantee you it was hard as fuck, and didn't really happen till about the end of season two. Did she really have to look like she was sitting in a 2nd grade classroom taking basic arithmetic?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
/XX/ said:
I think that way too. For me, Hayao Miyazaki seems to be a bit cynical in interviews but I always had the impression that he doesn't want to transmit that feeling into his movies, although in part because of this some of them may come as a little restrained:
When he wrote the Nausicaa manga, though, the filter was off.

Rektash

InfiniteNine said:
Hagu is fine, she reminds me of my aunt.

I think she is fine too. I don't mind her retarded character at all, since I see her more as a way to provide a plot framework for the other characters to interact in. I for one really enjoyed H&C minus the ending which creeped me out.

Dresden

Miri said:
Hagu made it real hard for me to take the show seriously. I got over it, yeah, but I guarantee you it was hard as fuck, and didn't really happen till about the end of season two. Did she really have to look like she was sitting in a 2nd grade classroom taking basic arithmetic?
You get "I'm really 18! Really, I'm not lying!" characters often in anime, but Hagu really was on another level.

flawfuls said:
It was decent enough I suppose. It wasn't exactly memorable and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but you could do worse with your time.
Ah... thanks. Not gonna bother, I need the time to twiddle my thumbs.

Wiktor

The first ep of Hanasaku Iroha was wonderful. Slice of life with actual meat on it's bones. Very nice characters too. Plus it was beautiful visually.

iavi

Dresden said:
You get "I'm really 18! Really, I'm not lying!" characters often in anime, but Hagu really was on another level.

Right? She was a case of the bad, made only worse by the fact that the show carried itself rather seriously. I might have even glossed over it, had it not done so.

Anyways, watching time! Did anything else besides Gintama, or Steins Gate, air today?

Dresden

Miri said:
Right? She was a case of the bad, made only worse by the fact that the show carried itself rather seriously. I might have even glossed over it, had it not done so.

Anyways, watching time! Did anything else besides Gintama, or Steins Gate, air today?
Fireball Charming, Sengoku Tits, and Tono to Issho. And, uh, Yugioh.

Uchip said:
its pronounced horo because japanese have no l
but its spelt with an l officially
so it doesnt matter which you use
No, Japanese doesn't have either L or R, but one letter that sounds a bit more like L than R, but stands in for both.

faridmon said:
I actually thought El Cazador was OK, Despite the soft core Hentai Innoundo (or however you spell that). I found it disspointing in the last 3rd when all the mistery have been solved. Remineded me on the Skull man which I hated so passionatly.
If you liked El Cazador and haven't watched Noir or Madlax, definitely watch them. All three series are by the same people and have lots of similarities.

I need to watch more ''Girls with gun''. I loved Gunslinger grirs. S2 was abhorant though.
Yeah, Gunslinger Girls is quite good as well, S1 I mean... I would rank Noir above Gunslinger Girls S1, but it's definitely a good series. Great ending too.

7Th said:
Noir and Madlax aren't "girls and guns" shows, they're "flashbacks and panning" shows.
All three shows have some flashbacks, but the main centerpoints of all three are often sad stories that end in gunfights where the heroines kill people. There's lots of "grey versus grey" stuff, Noir often makes a point of the fact that Mirielle is an assassin and kills people for money, not for honor or something, etc. Even so though, the main characters are likable enough to carry the shows; it's not like Black Lagoon where I quickly found myself hating the whole main cast because everyone is completely evil, pretty much, and quite disliking the show partially as a result. Noir has a better balance. You are right that discovering what happened in the past, and who the main characters really are, is central to the plots of all three series, but the present is important too, not just the past.

I called them "girls with guns" because they've been described that way; I'm not sure if it's really the best description, though, because it doesn't give a good picture of the deep and high quality stories all three series have.

BluWacky said:
I genuinely really liked Madlax back in the day, although I'm certain it wouldn't hold up to a rewatch. It had a good supporting cast, a mad but twisty plot, and nice music. Probably helps it was my first Koichi Mashimo Bee Train show; once you've seen his tricks once you've seen them every time. I suspect this is why so many people rated Noir quite highly back in the day - because it was the first time they'd seen that kind of thing - whereas now his shit is, as they say bananas.
Madlax isn't bad on its own, I just think it's disappointing in comparison to the other two shows in the "series". It's just nowhere near as good as Noir or El Cazador... it's still good, probably, just not as good. Too many episodes without action for one thing, the decision to not have the two heroines be together for a substantial part of the series, and to not have any action in the episodes featuring one of the two of them up to that point, was a mistake in my opinion. And Madlax (the character) does some of that "standing still and shooting but I can't be hit because I'm so much more awesome than you" stuff, I don't remember much of it in the other shows. (Indeed, that's why both main characters' magic skirts in Noir are so obvious, they're always jumping around and stuff; the other two shows solve that problem by not having the leads wear skirts.)

Perhaps it is true that it's something where you like that style the most the first time, but I did think that El Cazador was a nice improvement over Madlax and was closer to Noir, so that isn't entirely it. One other reason why I like Noir the most is the music, I really liked its soundtrack and though they have decent music, neither of the other shows have a similar style, unfortunately.

firehawk12 said:
Wait, Hen Zemi/Semi is getting a TV series? Holy fuck. I guess they'd just censor everything or tone down the sex comedy, but yikes.
Yeah, I am wondering how it'll work as a TV show... either it'll have to be quite different, or very censored...

Dance In My Blood said:
The OVA is hilarious. I'm looking forward to it more than any other show this season.
Both OVA episodes, you mean? Yeah, they're good stuff. Weird, but it works...

I thought Corpse Princess was kind of alright at first. Couldn't make it to the end though. There is one stand out character and once he's out the series just doesn't have much going for it.
Yeah, it seemed to be decent at the start, but it got pretty bland, I didn't finish it either.

firehawk12 said:
The last OVA was a meditation on female sexual desire!

I dunno, Japanese sex comedies are weird. Ebichu basically made a gag out of rape fantasies for a five minute joke segment.
On that note, that Hen Semi (is it Semi or Zemi?) has absolutely no rape references in it so far is something good about it, in its genre... but certainly I agree about it being weird.

Branduil said:
At least Gosick's badness was immediately apparent.
No, the first episode was deceptively mediocre. From episode two the actual good quality of the show became apparent.

Uchip

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
No, Japanese doesn't have either L or R, but one letter that sounds a bit more like L than R, but stands in for both.

its still taught as R in syllables
ie. ra ri ru re ro

Uchip

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
True, but it's not pronounced like r for sure, but it's not exactly l either, right?

its closer to R because it makes me laugh when they pronounce L's in english ;)
'really' would sound like 'rearry'

Jex

Chi's Sweet Home: Awww look at da wittle kitty-cat!
Hitokage said:
Transliterations are always going to approximate so I wouldn't spend much effort worrying about them.
You're saying that to the members of this thread? That kind of pointless minutia is their bread and butter!

trejo

Fireball is some good stuff. Blew through all of it in about half an hour and I kinda want a poseable Drossel doll now. The model for Charming, in particular, looks really nice.

And it's Holo, you fools. Even though she writes it like Hgfr or something like that.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Thanks, trejo, your words of encouragement mean the world to me.

It's terrible though. Nevermind. :p
No worries, I got your back. Unless Glass Fleet is involved then you're on your own.

Level E 13
That was a pretty great episode. The Prince was finally the one who got trolled. This was a pretty enjoyable series. Not every arc was gold but the antics of the characters kept me entertained.

trejo

Jexhius said:
You're saying that to the members of this thread? That kind of pointless minutia is their bread and butter!
Surely you mean our. No point excluding yourself from it all.

Dresden

Index II 24:

Finally done with the series.

I'm not coming back for the inevitable season three.

Jexhius said:
This from the man who wrote two thousand words on the opening panty-shot in Bakemonogatari. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom