• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Banned
Tiger & Bunny 1 - Pretty good so far, I liked the setting, nice main character, and the cg wasn't bothersome. Sticking around for now.

GinTama 202 - Hell yeah, Gintoki-san is back and this episode didn't dissappoint. I was laughing the whole time, poor Shinpachi. The part that absolutely killed me was when Shin ran across the world.

X-Men: Destiny 1 - I know a lot of people don't like these Marvel anime, but I enjoyed Wolverine as a good "popcorn flick action" show and I'm hoping this is good too. I did hate Iron Man though, it just got tedious and boring.

I'm waiting on the CrunchyRoll stream for Steins Gate but the premise looks really interesting.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Rektash said:
Just finished Mai Hime ~ and what a rollercoaster ride the end was. I don't really want to dwell on the weaknesses of the show because they are quite apparent. All in all I enjoyd this anime quite a bit. Loved the diverse cast of personalities and wasn't annoyed be the teenage angst factor. Through and through solid show.

The "prolog" after the final battle was hilarious in many different ways and was probably the best thing in the last two episodes, which by themselves have been relativly weak.

Would watch again.

You should move on to Mai Otome! Its like Mai Hime, except with more moe!!!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I Am Now said:
Man. This tread as really slowed down, eh?
The activity of actually discussing seasonal shows itt has increased though in comparison to previous threads, since we actually have a good amount of "quality" shows to discuss now.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

Geneijin

For anyone else like me who wanted to know when what is airing but lazy:

Saturday

April 2
DOG DAYS / Seven Arcs
TIGER&BUNNY / Sunrise
Nichijou / Kyoto Animation

April 16
Deadman Wonderland / Manglobe

Sunday

April 3
Hanasaku Iroha /P.A. Works
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai / Nomad

April 10
Astarotte no Omocha! / Diomedea

April 17
Ao no Exorcist / A-1 Pictures

Monday

April 4
Sengoku Otome -Momoiro Paradox- / TMS Entertainment
Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabo / Gathering
Fireball Charming / Jinni’s Animation Studio

April 11
Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi / Dogakobo
The World God Only Knows II / Manglobe
Seikon no Quwaser II / Hoods Entertainment

April 25
Moshi Dora / Production I.G (10 episodes: 10 consecutive days)

Tuesday

April 5
Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen / Madhouse
Steins;Gate / WHITE FOX

Wednesday

April 6
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku / Gathering

Thursday

April 7
Hyougemono / Bee Train
A Channel / Studio Gokumi
Dororon Emma-kun Meeramera / Brain’s Base
Maria Holic: Alive / SHAFT
Sofuteni / XEBEC
SKET DANCE / Tatsunoko Production
Kampfer / Nomad

April 14
C / Tatsunoko Production
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. / A-1 Pictures
Hidan no Aria / J.C. Staff
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko / SHAFT

Friday

April 8
Yondemasuyo, Azasel-san. / Production I.G
Hen Zemi / XEBEC
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi / Studio DEEN

- Source
Thursday might be a stack day again like last season if |C|, AnoHana, and Dororon Emma-Kun turn out well. Still don't know about Hyougemono but I'll give it a chance since flawfuls praised the manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, Hen Zemi/Semi is getting a TV series? Holy fuck. I guess they'd just censor everything or tone down the sex comedy, but yikes.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
icarus-daedelus said:
This is Nonoriri's favorite episode, too. Although I think he may like her appearance in The Movie even better.

( ̄へ ̄)

trejo

Oretachi ni tsubasa wa nai 1

WTF was up with those end credits? The hell is this thing supposed to be? In any case, I'm curious about the next ep but I don't see myself keeping up with this one.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
So Battle Maidens Time Paradox aka Sengoku Otome aka Sengoku Basara with boobs (more boobs?) is streaming on crunchyroll startin' tonight. Who's gonna watch it with me?! Anyone?

...anyone?
I'll cheer on you from the sidelines if you want but that's about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
mooooooo~

So Battle Maidens Time Paradox aka Sengoku Otome aka Sengoku Basara with boobs (more boobs?) is streaming on crunchyroll startin' tonight. Who's gonna watch it with me?! Anyone?

...anyone?
Wait... didn't they already do that?

I swear there was a show a few seasons with all the Sengoku or Three Kingdoms as moe moe boob girls.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
Wait... didn't they already do that?

I swear there was a show a few seasons with all the Sengoku or Three Kingdoms as moe moe boob girls.
Koihime Musou I'm thinking.

Dog Days 1: Takeshi's Castle the anime? Well it was okay. Maybe it'll get better when we see what Shinku's involvement in the war produces.

X-Frame

Browsing through Netflix for any new Anime series that were added, I came across Corpse Princess and D. Gray-man.

Either of those any good? Because the Netflix reviews are good for them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
X-Frame said:
Browsing through Netflix for any new Anime series that were added, I came across Corpse Princess and D. Gray-man.

I think GAF likes the first? The second sounds familiar, but I can't remember if it's because it's good or another Glass Fleet.

7Th said:
Sengoku =! Three Kingdoms

Learn the difference, it could save your life.
I know, but it's Asian dudes in armor swinging swords... so it's all the same. :lol

hosannainexcelsis said:
I think there's one every year.
Yay anime. Funny, because that was when I was first watching anime seriously again and I thought to myself, "Wow, is this a feminist reinterpretation of a period in history that has become mythologized? That could be very interesting!".
Little did I know. :lol

(If only they would make an Ooku: The Inner Chambers anime).

NewFresh

X-Frame said:

D. Gray-man I watched the first couple episodes of and did not like at all. Corpse Princess i know nothing of.

I wish netflix would enable some subtitles on their watch instantly stuff as well as getting rid of bad dubs

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
firehawk12 said:
Wait, Hen Zemi/Semi is getting a TV series? Holy fuck. I guess they'd just censor everything or tone down the sex comedy, but yikes.
The OVA is hilarious. I'm looking forward to it more than any other show this season.
X-Frame said:

I thought Corpse Princess was kind of alright at first. Couldn't make it to the end though. There is one stand out character and once he's out the series just doesn't have much going for it.

Solune

Hellsing321 said:
Thats putting it mildly.
Well if you really me want to tell the truth, if I wanted to watch something bad rather than subject myself to Mai Otome, I'd marathon Star Driver. Twice. In one season.
Uchip said:
I liked it more because im crazy
Couldn't have put it better myself. The first step is acceptance, the second step is having no soul.

X-Frame said:

D Gray Man is a long running shounen that's still ongoing in manga form while the anime lasted for 2 52 episode seasons. Many people nicknamed it "Full Metal Exorcist" due to some notable similarities to FMA. Those similarities didn't really stick though.

It isn't bad. Up and down for the most part. There are some good fights and at one point, I actually got really mad at a particular villain. Be prepared for a non-ending unless you want to read the manga afterwards. Unfortunately, it kind of became incoherent ever since the series switched to a monthly format.

Only watched like 2 episodes of Corpse Princess, so can't help you there.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's also some REALLY BAD filler in the first season. Season 2 is really good though, so you might want to find out what's filler and skip it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dance In My Blood said:
The OVA is hilarious. I'm looking forward to it more than any other show this season.
The last OVA was a meditation on female sexual desire!

I dunno, Japanese sex comedies are weird. Ebichu basically made a gag out of rape fantasies for a five minute joke segment.

Geneijin

icarus-daedelus said:

...anyone?
Sure, why not? Go Nobunaga.

X-Frame said:

If you only want to watch Corpse Princess for the action (heavy spoilers), sure. Everything else about it? Subpar. I dropped D. Gray-man around 30 or something because the action wasn't great, filler episodes weren't decent enough to trot through, and the main story didn't interest me much. Wouldn't recommend either really.

Joule

X-Frame said:

Corpse Princess is just okay. The first half was fairly enjoyable if a bit dull. The second half was meh. The production is pretty good and the action is pretty too. I did like the concept but I don't think they did anything really interesting with it. The character progression wasn't too hot either. Also the ending really leaves everything up in the air.

The best part of the show I think are the OP/ED songs.

X-Frame

Hmm, alright. I guess I'll drop those 2 shows and search for something else. I detest shows that just end abruptly or with improper endings (i.e. Claymore).

FMA Brotherhood arriving is awesome but I already saw it with subs. Considering watching the dub though, but that always weirds me out (like 2 universes colliding).

Any other recommendations on Netflix GAF?

X-Frame said:
Hmm, alright. I guess I'll drop those 2 shows and search for something else. I detest shows that just end abruptly or with improper endings (i.e. Claymore).

FMA Brotherhood arriving is awesome but I already saw it with subs. Considering watching the dub though, but that always weirds me out (like 2 universes colliding).

What they got and what have you seen/liked?

flawfuls

Fireball

Wow that was pretty good. The weird dynamic between the two robots makes for some fairly unique comedy. It was way too short though, I finished the entire series in about 20 minutes.

X-Frame said:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Baccano
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu

are the cream of the crop on Netflix, at least out of shows I've seen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
X-Frame said:

Hulu has a ton of great stuff too. Most is the same but they have a few gems not yet out on Hulu. Skull Man and Shiki being two off the top of my head.

X-Frame said:

Mushi-shi
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Shin Chan
Baccano
Full Metal Panic: Fomouffu
Trigun
Spice and Wolf
Gunsligner Girl
Ouran High School Host Club

Haven't seen the dub of all of these so I don't how bad/good they are but they're all great shows for different reasons.

Joule

flawfuls said:
Fireball

Wow that was pretty good. The weird dynamic between the two robots makes for some fairly unique comedy. It was way too short though, I finished the entire series in about 20 minutes.
It's so amusing. I'm glad that it was able to get another run this season. I think what really makes some of the sequences is Drossel's constant posing.

Did anyone sub the "Making of Fireball"?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Episode 1 of Sengoku Otome summed up in two frames:

mystery3s7x.jpg

dogboat.jpg

Rektash

Uchip said:
go forth brave anime knights!
discover what is and isnt worth watching!
Im in no hurry

High five bro! Freeloading anime knights are the better anime knights. Also, watching one episode per week just doesn't cut it. I like to watch my shows compressed in 2-3 days.

On another note I just skipped through the first 4 eps of Mai Otomo. Looks boring even though Yuki seems to have got her shit together again, the OST sounds a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom