• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Dresden said:
There's still two seasons to go. Plenty of room to fail.
Heck, it could suck by next episode, like Canaan.
zeroshiki said:
What about the girl she bitchslapped? Who had been staying with her and working for her for some time already?
Pff, that girl wanted the abuse. She knew it was fitting.

Dresden

trejo said:
Are people really seeing her as the villain? She just doesn't strike me as such. Old-fashioned and stern? Sure. But where is the villainous part?

Some though lovin' never killed anyone.
She's a stuck-up bitch, but it doesn't make her evil. Her treatment of her own granddaughter isn't appropriate at all, but no doubt it's due to what happened with Satsuki, that whore. Whose behavior was probably caused by the overbearing mother, anyways. It's like the Bones cycle.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Are people really seeing her as the villain? She just doesn't strike me as such. Old-fashioned and stern? Sure. But where is the villainous part?

Some though lovin' never killed anyone.

Since this is slice of life, there will obviously be no villain in the traditional sense. She's technically the final boss though. If Ohana overcomes her, her peaceful and happy everyday life will have come.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 10

The animation in this episode is really, really bad.

grandma%20what%20a%20long%20pipe%20you%20have.JPG

costumes%202.JPG

Itch vedy hawd to awndastawnd vhat B.B. iz saying wit dat heawy accent.

B.B. throwing the dagger deserves a gif.

wax.JPG

The Bordeaux territories lead the galaxy in needless wax waste.

B.B.: Have you considered all alternatives to war?

Michel: durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hehe, she said flaccid, hehe.

Rachel: why does Vetti need me?

Ralph: Because I'm not good enough.

LOL

Also, Ralph must be a hemophiliac with how much blood he lost from that rose.

The wagon scene is even better in context.

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
She's a stuck-up bitch, but it doesn't make her evil. Her treatment of her own granddaughter isn't appropriate at all, but no doubt it's due to what happened with Satsuki, that whore. Whose behavior was probably caused by the overbearing mother, anyways. It's like the Bones cycle.

I haven't hated a character as much after 30 minutes as I have Ohana's crazy mother. And she's not like the eccentric mother ala Madoka even. She's just a straight up uncaring bitch. I like how the anime just glossed over this and let the viewers come to that conclusion. Ohana doesn't see her mom as being cold, selfish and heartless so we don't see her as such too.

trejo

Dresden said:
It's like the Bones cycle.
Curse you Bones!

zeroshiki said:
Since this is slice of life, there will obviously be no villain in the traditional sense. She's technically the final boss though. If Ohana overcomes her, her peaceful and happy everyday life will have come.
So basically Ohana is the capturing goddess?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dresden said:
Renya is more like an alternate universe retelling, so far. It's not very good.
zeroshiki said:
The mangas are basically AU.
Thanks for explaining and also telling me it sucks, much appreciated.
cosmicblizzard said:
I will add it to my wish list for the sole purpose of informing you.

Edit: And apparently there's no need.
The thought is still appreciated. :D
Infinite Justice said:
its nothing special so far, was more interested in Nightmare of Nunally.
What's Nightmare of Nunally?
zeroshiki said:
And yes
he is so alive its not funny
I'll never stop believing.
Infinite Justice said:
and
he's dead, deal with it :p
yHSt1.jpg

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm waiting for Beanman to show himself as the true villain of Iroha. I just know he's up to something in that tool shed!

Branduil

jman2050 said:
I still want to know the madman who conceived that scene, find him, and congratulate him. And then punch him in the face.
Not just that scene, but the whole episode. You can tell the writer thought up the wagon scene first, thought it was unbelievably awesome, and then wrote the entire episode around that scene.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Curse you Bones!

So basically Ohana is the capturing goddess?

Holy shit it makes sense now. The inevitable getting close to every person one by one can be deconstructed in terms of TWGOK. :O

zeroshiki said:
I haven't hated a character as much after 30 minutes as I have Ohana's crazy mother. And she's not like the eccentric mother ala Madoka even. She's just a straight up uncaring bitch. I like how the anime just glossed over this and let the viewers come to that conclusion. Ohana doesn't see her mom as being cold, selfish and heartless so we don't see her as such too.

Some will wait till some explanation is given

What's Nightmare of Nunally?

Another alternate universe/retelling series staring Nunally. It has existing characters from the series (although their roles differ for the most part) plus some completely new ones.

Jex

Branduil said:
Glass Fleet 10

The animation in this episode is really, really bad.
I'm being totally serious when I say that the guy in charge of character and costume design should be given some kind of Nobel Prize. It's the best.

jman2050

Branduil said:
Not just that scene, but the whole episode. You can tell the writer thought up the wagon scene first, thought it was unbelievably awesome, and then wrote the entire episode around that scene.

Would you believe me if I told you it only gets better/worse from here?

I mean, Episode 11 is a masterpiece in its own right for reasons that would be cruel for me to spoil.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Oh fuuuuck. Maybe I need to turn in my dude membership card; I just realized that the family dynamics are pretty much the same as the ones found on Gilmore Girls.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Oh fuuuuck. Maybe I need to turn in my dude membership card; I just realized that the family dynamics are pretty much the same as the ones found on Gilmore Girls.
Just say you watched it for the MILF.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
firehawk12 said:
Speaking as a chauvinistic pig for a moment, Lauren Graham >>>> Alexis Bledel.
Funny. I would've taken you for a Kelly Bishop fan.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Speaking as a chauvinistic pig for a moment, Lauren Graham >>>> Alexis Bledel.
*google search*

I agree, although there's something charming about that fresh-faced look Bledel has.

Droplet

Plywood said:
Well I got around to finish Code Geass R2 and I wouldn't mind an R3 because
he's still alive to me dammit. ;-;

That said I saw there was some manga called Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya, and the descriptions said there was a guy resembling Lelouch in it and blah, blah. Also the descriptions say it's set in Japans Historical Edo period, yet this Renya guy has a robot arm. WAT.

Has anyone read it? If so, could anyone tell me if it has anything to do with Lelouch and gang because I haven't found a site that could give me more info on it in spite of the fact it started in 2010.

I always thought that was supposed to be something about Suzaku's lineage since there was something in R1 that was never expounded upon that heavily hinted that he was supposed to be related to the Geass somehow. And then this got made in typical Japan fashion and the guy looks like Lelouch because he just sort of does. I didn't read much though, thought it was pretty mediocre and didn't keep up with releases. C.C. is in it but I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dance In My Blood said:
Funny. I would've taken you for a Kelly Bishop fan.
GILFs > MILFs, etc, etc.

Dresden said:
*google search*

I agree, although there's something charming about that fresh-faced look Bledel has.
I suppose that's why she played one of the prostitutes in Sin City anyhoo.

Jexhius said:
I'm being totally serious when I say that the guy in charge of character and costume design should be given some kind of Nobel Prize. It's the best.

It takes a special kind of genius to come up with designs that demented!

trejo

Level E 13

It had a few weak episodes here and there but overall this was a pretty stellar show. It was pretty nice seeing the prince get trolled for a change.

And I guess that just leaves Madoka now. Goddammit, Shaft.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
A lesser designer would have come up stuff that's totally bland and forgettable. But Glass Fleet's costumes are the kind that stick with you forever.

costumes.jpg

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
duckroll said:
I hope it becomes a running joke and something terrible happens to her every week because of something Ohana does. :D

Damn it, now you're giving me ideas. XD

duckroll

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm thinking "this isn't so bad". Then the barrage of arrows happens...

"This video contains content from Funimation Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

:(

jman2050

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm thinking "this isn't so bad". Then the barrage of arrows happens...

I was actually hoping he'd GIF the throng of soldiers swinging their swords at Cleo with the grace of a Buzz Lightyear action figure's karate chop but a video works just as well.

trejo

duckroll said:
"This video contains content from Funimation Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

:(
Are you really sure not being able to watch that is such a bad thing? For once, it may have been for the better.

mAcOdIn

duckroll said:
Chiaki Omigawa deserves nothing but the worst abuse.
She's become one of my favorite VAs. Honestly.
icarus-daedelus said:
I started SDF Macross a long, long time ago, and it was always my plan to finish it before moving onto Macross +, and then to just stop there and not touch 7 or Frontier with a ten foot pole. Yeah, the music is just flat-out bizarre. Very occasionally it'll fit the tone of the scene, but more often it's like they drop some hip-hop in a serious dramatic scene and it totally ruins the mood. It has a pretty poor opening couple of episodes, which I also griped about. Once the show has established itself, it seems to be fine; the characters are not terribly compelling individually, but it covers up for that somewhat by rotating narrative focus amongst a large cast. I think I like it, but I'm not quite sure, never a great sign halfway through a series, but I'll stick it out to see.
I'm liking Scrapped Princess a little more, even though it's flawed too, so I'm watching it and then I think I'll watch Glass Fleet and finish Planetes at the same time, maybe they'll balance each other out, then I'll see if I can continue Infinite Ryvius.

Macross Zero's also alright, I kinda liked it, but Frontier and 7 are terrible, the movie of 7 has the most awesome rock song in an anime ever though, I forget who was always "spamming" it last year but I went and watched the movie and the song "Heart and Soul" does kick ass.
Lafiel said:
I'd hope you are going watch Hanasaku Iroha this season odin, because if you don't like it there's something seriously wrong with you!
It better be better than Nichijou, I'm still angry at the time I spent watching it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Heck, it could suck by next episode, like Canaan.
I'm pretty optimistic that this won't be a another Canaan situation - as the only good thing about the first episode in that was the direction and action, in comparison iroha has interesting characters, no annoying fanservice or dumb anime hi-jinks. (like canaan did) in addition to the great direction and production values!

duckroll

mAcOdIn said:
She's become one of my favorite VAs. Honestly.

That's why we can never be friends.

Lafiel said:
I'm pretty optimistic that this won't be a another Canaan situation - as the only good thing about the first episode in that was the direction and action, in comparison iroha has interesting characters, no annoying fanservice or dumb anime hi-jinks. (like canaan did) in addition to the great direction and production values!

Canaan was a 13 episode action anime. If the short series like that couldn't maintain the action and direction for just 12 more episodes, how sure can we be that the characters and tone here can be maintain for... *gasp*... 25 more episodes?

Geneijin

Branduil said:
B.B. throwing the dagger deserves a gif.
dPsuT.gif

jman2050 said:
I was actually hoping he'd GIF the throng of soldiers swinging their swords at Cleo with the grace of a Buzz Lightyear action figure's karate chop but a video works just as well.
UVZRT.gif

It's quite hard to do the arrow scene justice.

Jex

Branduil said:
A lesser designer would have come up stuff that's totally bland and forgettable. But Glass Fleet's costumes are the kind that stick with you forever.

costumes.jpg
Seriously, he should work on every show. It's God-Tier.

If he was working on German Expressionist films, he'd surely be remembered as a genius.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Seriously, he should work on every show. It's God-Tier.

If he was working on German Expressionist films, he'd surely be remembered as a genius.
In case you missed it:

AnK6j.jpg

I would not mind seeing him again honestly. It was part of the charm of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom